Last visit was: 12 May 2024, 02:53 It is currently 12 May 2024, 02:53

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GPA: 3.5
WE:Accounting (Consulting)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [1]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V42
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V37
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: NYU Stern - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V37
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V42
WE:Information Technology (Other)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [1]
Given Kudos: 31
Send PM
Re: Ross (Michigan) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
Kudos
This is going to be a long 29-31 more days!!!

Good luck to those still interviewing
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [1]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
Kudos
kinkmetal wrote:
Do you have to take anything to the Ross interview? I dont seem to see anything else, other than having to upload the resume on the scheduling website.

It's a good idea to carry a copy of your resume to the interview. My interviewer had seen my resume, but wasn't carrying one. He asked me for a copy before the interview.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 148 [1]
Given Kudos: 35
GMAT 1: 780 Q49 V50
WE:Research (Other)
Send PM
Kudos
EChopeful12 wrote:
rjdunn03 wrote:
EChopeful12 wrote:
They know what the class size is going to be months before decisions are made. They wouldn't invite the same number of people for a 502 class if they only plan on the number being 440.

Hopefully you're right about that. I wonder though if it will affect the portion of acceptances that they extend to those of us who said we want to do consulting after we graduate.

Seems like they would already have a good idea of how many people they want to admit from each career background as well. If they really wanted to weed out future consultants, they probably would just interview fewer.

Take a look at that Poets & Quants article that somebody posted, it's pretty insightful regarding the entire process. To me it sounds like they interview everyone who they feel is admissible based on a holistic view of their application. Then after the interview they sort of figure out who to accept based on another read of the application, as well as what they need to get a balanced class. Here is a small quote from the article, she is talking about the form the interviewers fill out:

Quote:
This is an online form so they provide comments on each with examples of why they think this person has a good rationale for an MBA. We request the evaluation within 24 hours of the interview, and last year we didn’t have to hunt anybody down. We tell interviewers that ‘you could be the reason we delay a decision on a candidate and they’re pushed to the next round. Please don’t be that reason.’

After the regional experts look at it in concert with the interview, they make a recommendation. Then, the senior AD gets it and looks at the overall pool. He might say, ‘We have too many people who are consultants.’ He takes first pass and then I take the second pass. There’s a lot of shifting about. We’ll waitlist some, un-waitlist other people, until we get to a number based on our historical admission rates. After I look at it, I send it on to Valerie (Suslow) who looks at the whole thing and once she blesses it we start communicating with the candidates.

Anyway, it's not really worth stressing about. One way or the other it will likely be more competitive this year, but those who do get in will benefit.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [1]
Given Kudos: 116
Concentration: Finance, International Business
WE:Operations (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Kudos
I had my interview yesterday friday oncampus. They did a great job matching me with my interviwer. And no, its not a computer that makes the matching. Thanks to the great matching, my interview was a walk in the park. He focused on my resume, bssic questions. I told my story while answerimg the questions. totally different interview, a conversation really, he wanted to know more about me and my plans. he never asked all the staple questions, why mba, why now, why Ross, failure, weakness, etc. no such qns were asked.

At the end, he said that ross is looking for people like me, that he wil write the greatest rec he has ever written on my behalf. Etc. seemed he was more excited about my profile than me. like he became my greatest cheerleader in the space of 45 min. good luck to those still interviewing. on my part, I await news on March 15.

Posted from my mobile device
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [1]
Given Kudos: 347
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
nyama wrote:
I had my interview yesterday friday oncampus. They did a great job matching me with my interviwer. And no, its not a computer that makes the matching. Thanks to the great matching, my interview was a walk in the park. He focused on my resume, bssic questions. I told my story while answerimg the questions. totally different interview, a conversation really, he wanted to know more about me and my plans. he never asked all the staple questions, why mba, why now, why Ross, failure, weakness, etc. no such qns were asked.

At the end, he said that ross is looking for people like me, that he wil write the greatest rec he has ever written on my behalf. Etc. seemed he was more excited about my profile than me. like he became my greatest cheerleader in the space of 45 min. good luck to those still interviewing. on my part, I await news on March 15.

Somehow I find that part to be a little over the top. Interviewers are supposed tp be neutral -- positive phrases include your first part "[school] is looking for people like [you]", "you've really done your research and thing [school] is a good fit for you", etc. Unless you got really lucky & your interviewer stepped over some lines, I doubt anyone on GC has had a bschool interview that ended with "yes, I'm writing you a positive rec". Just my 2 cents. But regardless, best of luck with your apps. It's in the hands of the adcom now!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [1]
Given Kudos: 37
Schools: Ross '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 700 Q43 V42
GPA: 3.3
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
I really hope that was sarcastic :-D

Manager
Manager
Send PM
Kudos
Redtailedhawk wrote:
EChopeful12 wrote:
I really hope that was sarcastic :-D

nyama has people thinking that's he's possibly a fake candidate in the booth thread, but probably just someone with no filter and a 'different' point of view/outlook than most.

A review of his posts would suggest he's:
Some sort of UG followed by a Masters in Public Health, a Masters in International Relations (I haven't seen anything about business experience), from an African nation who has applied to: Booth, Ross, Kelly, Owen, WashU and Illinois

Lol I sincerely hope I don't meet anyone with that sort of self-aggrandizing attitude.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 157 [1]
Given Kudos: 249
Concentration: Nonprofit, General Management
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2015
GRE 1: Q170 V166
GPA: 3.22
WE:Management Consulting (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Kudos
sgrunt wrote:
I'm guessing this thread is going to be pretty quiet for the next two and half weeks. Anyone from the previous round have any suggestions on how to get info of the adcom status / progress? The admin blog hasnt been updated in a while : /

The period between the interview and a decision is IMO the worst part of the process. At this point, there's literally nothing you can do and no more information that can be had. Just sit back and wait for the calls to come out. They usually start a day earlier than the stated date.

Good luck!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Kudos
This really is the worst. I wake up every day and start panicking over what I said/didn't say in my interview.

This process is awful. I just want to give them $100,000 for a shiny degree. Who else do you have to convince to give $100,000 to!?!?
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 73159 [1]
Given Kudos: 18947
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Correct.

A few other things to point out: take a look at the number of people who have filled out their profiles, that number is up this year compared to the last: (calling-all-ross-2012-applicants-117003.html had 245 for the entire year and there are already 285 this year/season alone and will be over 350 by the summer). We have cut over to the new stats tracking system in 2011 (that would have been 2012 thread) and you will see that the 2010 threads tend to be much more numerous with replies/views as the result of the manual tracking system. So, automation is partially to blame for the lower participation/views :-)

As to lurker counts, they have been very disproportionate compared to the registered members but I really have no way of tracking it....

Finally, I would not judge general trends in applications based on GMAT Club traffic. There are many variables why a school may be more/less popular year over year and if a school is more/less popular on GMAT Club, it does not mean it is the trend in the entire universe. You are correct, a zealous Ross applicant cant rally quite a bit of activity by posting on a daily/hourly basis. There were a few prominent veteran GMAT Clubbers who applied to Ross in 2011/2012 years and definitely drove quite a bit of interest/attention.

kingfalcon wrote:
Redtailedhawk wrote:
I was combing through 2012 and 2011 threads.

2013 This thread is 32 pages (2 weeks til r2 decisions)
2012 54 pages at the same point
2011 105 pages at the same point

I'm going to check around to see if its a ross thing or an across the board thing. obviously a few chatty posters can make big impacts.

bb has mentioned that traffic isn't down and that the lower post counts are most likely due to how the board now tracks applicants. Previously, a user had to post in the thread to be manually updated on the roll call, but now it is managed automatically.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [1]
Given Kudos: 31
Send PM
Kudos
sgrunt wrote:
at least this guys crazy posts keep my mind off how at this very moment the AD's are submitting their recommendations on our profiles....

my Ross post-it note is down to 13-15 days
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [1]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Marketing, Healthcare
Schools: Chicago Booth - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
WE:Engineering (Health Care)
Send PM
Kudos
I am seriously stressed out. In fact, I'm so stressed out that I was planning to file a lawsuit against you :-D

Of course I know it's a joke! Good luck to you for your Ross acceptance!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Kudos
Redtailedhawk wrote:
sgrunt wrote:
guys i'm sitting here stressing out right with everyone else. anyone know a concrete percentage of applicants they admit after interviewing (i saw literature out there that said around 70 percent)? i'm hoping the interview just filters out applicants with personal communication issues.

well played bizwiz84

There isn't a concrete. It was "about 70 percent" from the interview last year. But they're cutting spots, things can change. Just stay positive and keep yourself busy.

Even if they're cutting spots, it's not like the adcom didn't know that coming into the process. They most certainly have extended fewer invitations if they have fewer spots available so I'm sure the percentage will stay roughly the same (between 60-70% on average, per Soojin).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 90 [1]
Given Kudos: 44
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Send PM
Kudos
sgrunt wrote:
guys i'm sitting here stressing out right with everyone else. anyone know a concrete percentage of applicants they admit after interviewing (i saw literature out there that said around 70 percent)? i'm hoping the interview just filters out applicants with personal communication issues.

well played bizwiz84

Thank you, buddy. Just thought a little joke would help folks relieve some of the stress we're all going through right now. No intention to offend anyone, I hope everyone here has a sense of humor.
About the percentage of interviewed applicants who are admitted, I don't think anyone has a concrete number... I believe that being interviewed is a good sign. However, I try not to read too much into that, because it is not a done deal. The percentage you are looking for might be from 40% to 75%, it really doesn't matter to me. My interpretation is simply that my chances now are bigger than they were 2 months ago when I submitted my application, but things can still go wrong. I guess it's my own way to deal with a possible rejection. This way, I try to maintain a positive attitude, but being aware that the competition is stiff and I might as well not make it.

Anyway, I don't think it's worth the stress right now. I know it's hard to manage the anxiety, but the decisions are most likely made by now, with just a few adjustments to be made by adcom. Whatever will be, will be.

Having said that, I wish you the best of luck, and hopefully we both will make it (along with many friends from gmatclub) and will all be classmates and laugh together about how desperate we were a few months back.

Best,

bizwiz
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Kudos
That'd give them more work though and I assume they want to save resources and not interview as many "fringe" candidates.

Regardless, nothing we can do but wait. and wait. and wait. and wait.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [1]
Given Kudos: 116
Concentration: Finance, International Business
WE:Operations (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Kudos
bizwiz84 wrote:
Guys, I just read on the internet.
Our dear friend nyama, being the most impressive applicant Ross has ever seen, received an offer of admission 3 weeks earlier than everyone else. Soojin Kwon traveled a long way to extend the offer in person.
Unfortunately, Ross won't have the honor to have nyama as a student.
The Vatican just released the news today. The Pope resigned because His Holiness felt he was no longer the man for the job. Nyama will be moving to Rome in the fall.

We here at GMAT Club wish nyama the best of luck in this new blessed endeavour.

From now on, it's a sin to make fun of nyama, ok guys? Be careful, or you might end up in hell!

:)! Being the CEO of the Vatican and 1 billion followers, i think i can handle that!! Thankful to the adcom people for calling me with an acceptance offer three weeks in advance!! I'm now negotiating with the dean and the regents, for the school to give me my MBA now, since for a brilliant person like me, there is no need to spend two years at the school!

On a serious note though, the admission rate out of the interviewed people, depends on various factors i would conjecture. ie, the region where the applicant is applying from. Although the average could hover around 45-70% as explained above by others, for the few of us applying from Malenasia (Vanuatu, specifically), the acceptance rate could actually be 100% :)! Of course, if they add my file to be part of the Asia group on the other hand, the rate plummets to below 10% of the interviewed applicants....

...just pure speculation, trying to make myself feel better!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Technology
GPA: 3.1
Send PM
Kudos
Guys, 12 more days to go before R2 decisions come out. Good luck everyone!
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  73   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6927 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts