Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 13:36 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 13:36

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2589 [22]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 520 Q42 V19
GMAT 2: 540 Q44 V21
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 433 [7]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.2
WE:Business Development (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2096 [1]
Given Kudos: 33
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2589 [1]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 520 Q42 V19
GMAT 2: 540 Q44 V21
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Sales manager: Last year the total number of meals sold in our company [#permalink]
Kudos
boomtangboy wrote:
Hi,

Can someone explain this reasoning?

I cant understand how the premise is weakened if the restaraunts were located in a area where the income of the people declined.

Understandable that the no of meals would go down as disposable income would not be available to those residents but you could have an increase in out of town / area people who balance this decrease in number of meals served or generate even higher sales.

people out of town will be out of scope.
Conclusion : no of meals will decrease
Premise : decrease in sales.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2096 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Send PM
Re: Sales manager: Last year the total number of meals sold in our company [#permalink]
GMATD11 wrote:
boomtangboy wrote:
Hi,

Can someone explain this reasoning?

I cant understand how the premise is weakened if the restaraunts were located in a area where the income of the people declined.

Understandable that the no of meals would go down as disposable income would not be available to those residents but you could have an increase in out of town / area people who balance this decrease in number of meals served or generate even higher sales.

people out of town will be out of scope.
Conclusion : no of meals will decrease
Premise : decrease in sales.

Hi,

Thanks !!! Ya I kinda rushed through the question & forgot the out of scope clause the GMAT throws in. Nice question :-D
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1779 [0]
Given Kudos: 2562
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
this question is interesting because it is a mix question of weaken and logic-responding question.
the argument structure can still be found.
the shift of scope is "the year and the year before" from "restaurants whose sales decreased."
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [1]
Given Kudos: 13
GMAT 1: 650 Q48 V31
GMAT 2: 670 Q45 V36
GMAT 3: 680 Q47 V35
GMAT 4: 720 Q49 V40
Send PM
Kudos
Imo

E is correct because even though the incomes of customers was down, they opted to go to restaurants. Obviously their desire to go there, may be because of the quality, taste,etc.. has driven the restaurants to be in business.

Sent from my XT1562 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1779 [0]
Given Kudos: 2562
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
omerrauf wrote:
The answer should be E. Here is how.

The conclusion to the argument by the Sales Manager is that "Desirability of meals has increased".
Accountant concludes that "Desirability has decreased" because the number of meals sold at certain restaurants has decreased.

Now you have to see that the accountant is referring to a "particular" group of restaurants, he is not talking about the overall sales.
He is only talking about restaurants that have been open for two years. The cumulative "number of meals" from all restaurants (including the ones that just opened or opened last year are higher, we already know that from the Sales Manager's contribution to the argument). Now the accountant says that desirability has decreased based on numbers from restaurants that have been open for at-least 2 years. So in order to override his argument we need to find a reason to establish that the low sales in these restaurants are not attributed to "desirability" but "something else is responsible for the low sales (for this particular group of restaurants)".

E. Most of the company's restaurants that were in
operation throughout both last year and the
year before are located in areas where
residents experienced a severe overall decline
in income last year

Option E does just this, it takes the blame off of desirability and puts it on the lack of disposable income.

All of what you said is correct, I want to add more something.
First, the question is quite long and it has many confusing details, and so do options.
Secondly, B,C,D are out of scope. => A is wrong b/c A only talks about last year, and new dishes have nothing to do with desirable meals.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
GMAT 1: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.3
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
Once you summarise the conclusion of a CR question, especially for weaken/strenghten or assumption questions, they find the correct answer is made relatively easy.

In this one, the conclusion is that the desirability of meals has decreased because sales have decreased. Cause and effect. To weaken this, we need to find another reason why sales have decreased. Answer E provides this.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 2218
GMAT 1: 620 Q45 V30
Send PM
is conclusion of accountant this: The desirability of our meals to consumers has clearly decreased. or this : demonstrates a trend toward ferver sales. ???? i considered demonstrates a trend toward ferver sales thats why picked D. someone explain how to find conclusion in thses types of question please???
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7629 [0]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Top Contributor
AbhishekDhanraJ72 wrote:
is conclusion of accountant this: The desirability of our meals to consumers has clearly decreased. or this : demonstrates a trend toward ferver sales. ???? i considered demonstrates a trend toward ferver sales thats why picked D. someone explain how to find conclusion in thses types of question please???

Hi Abhishek

A conclusion is that statement in the stimulus which acts as a judgement or a decision which is arrived at after taking into account the various facts (premises) which are presented.

Let us consider the statement that talks about fewer sales.

The desirability of our meals to consumers has clearly decreased, given that this group of restaurants - the only ones for which we have sales figures that permit a comparison between last year and the year before - demonstrates a trend toward ferver sales.

The portion within the hyphens act as a kind of appositive and can be ignored to understand the overall meaning of the statement. Now, we can see that the mentioned of demonstrating "fewer sales" is preceded by the phrase "given that". This phrase is a typical marker on the GMAT for facts or points of data, and act as a premise identifier. Therefore, the portion about "this group of restaurants...demonstrates a trend toward fewer sales" is, in fact, a premise and not the conclusion.

Hope this helps.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
Send PM
It’s important to realize what are rationale of the argument. A correct answer choice might try to explain an out of scope element of the argument.

In the example above, the argument of the accountant doesn’t take into account the new restaurants but relies only on the sales of the stores that exists in last year and the previous year. Hence, the answer choice C might sound very tempting because it implies that the users are favoring the cuisines of the restaurant but it’s incorrect because it address the stores that are new while the accountant use the example of the stores that have opened at least during the last two years.

Only answer choice E address the right premise of the argument and explain how the premise wrongly turn to a conclusion.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts