Last visit was: 01 May 2024, 13:47 It is currently 01 May 2024, 13:47

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 620553 [8]
Given Kudos: 81712
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 620553 [2]
Given Kudos: 81712
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 385 [1]
Given Kudos: 83
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35 (Online)
GPA: 3.42
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 352 [0]
Given Kudos: 346
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Schools: ISB '24
Send PM
Re: Scientist: My peers have said that my theory regarding molecular cohes [#permalink]
Premise:
1. theory is based on several findings that have been published recently by reputable research organizations.
2. Scientist has not reviewed every detail of their experiments but he is confident in their work
3. Scientist developed theories on molecular cohesion in wood fibers five years ago and he used findings from the same labs then as well.

Conclusion:
Peers saying scientist theory is based on sheer conjecture and has no experimental basis is not true.

We have to identify an option that makes the argument least vulnerable i.e. strengthens the argument. So, 4 other choices would weaken the argument.

(A) It bases a conclusion about the scientific findings of the research organizations on uncertain recollections..................What's uncertain recollection?? Reserach organizations did experiments and published findings. Not sure what does uncertain recollection means here. Let's keep it for a while.

(B) It assumes that the experiments done by the research organizations are unaffected by bias or human error.................This is actually weakening the argument. reject it.

(C) It assumes that the experiments done by the research organizations are the only work necessary to develop a scientific theory.................................This is weakening the argument.

(D) It hastily concludes that the experiments done by the research organizations are accurate, without having studied them in detail............................This is again weakening

(E) It assumes that having in the past used the experiments done by the research organizations as a basis to develop a scientific theory justifies using them to develop the current theory..............................This is weakening

Looks like A should be the OA. rest of the choices are weakening the argument.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Re: Scientist: My peers have said that my theory regarding molecular cohes [#permalink]
sj296 wrote:
Premise:

(A) It bases a conclusion about the scientific findings of the research organizations on uncertain recollections..................What's uncertain recollection?? Reserach organizations did experiments and published findings. Not sure what does uncertain recollection means here. Let's keep it for a while.

(C) It assumes that the experiments done by the research organizations are the only work necessary to develop a scientific theory.................................This is weakening the argument.

Agree that we have to find the assumption that does not weaken scientist's theory

However, A said scientist created his "theory" based on these "scientific finding on uncertain recollections". The word "uncertain" carry a negative criticism on these "scientific finding" hence, weakening the scientist's theory in general

Other choice B, D, E, all seems to subtly or openly criticize the scientist's usage of these "scientific finding"

IMO, C does not strengthen or weaken the scientist's usage. It's unrelated whether scientist used these findings or any other method to develop his theory

Please somebody correct me if i'm wrong
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 200 [0]
Given Kudos: 217
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GMAT 1: 600 Q44 V28
GPA: 3.56
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Scientist: My peers have said that my theory regarding molecular cohes [#permalink]
lonesomelad wrote:
sj296 wrote:
Premise:

Agree that we have to find the assumption that does not weaken scientist's theory

However, A said scientist created his "theory" based on these "scientific finding on uncertain recollections". The word "uncertain" carry a negative criticism on these "scientific finding" hence, weakening the scientist's theory in general

Other choice B, D, E, all seems to subtly or openly criticize the scientist's usage of these "scientific finding"

IMO, C does not strengthen or weaken the scientist's usage. It's unrelated whether scientist used these findings or any other method to develop his theory

Please somebody correct me if i'm wrong

I too chose C and got it wrong. However, the explanations here from Bunuel and from sj296 made sense to me.
Before jumping to answer choices focus on what's the ask. The questions asks to find and eliminate the answer choices that (if true) attack argument (make it vulnerable).
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1819 [0]
Given Kudos: 763
WE:Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
Scientist: My peers have said that my theory regarding molecular cohesion in glass is based on sheer conjecture and has no experimental basis. This is simply not true. I’ve based my theory on several findings that have been published recently by reputable research organizations. Even though I have not reviewed every detail of their experiments, I am confident in their work. Besides, you may recall that I was asked to develop theories on molecular cohesion in wood fibers five years ago and I used findings from the same labs then as well.

The scientist’s argument is LEAST vulnerable to which one of the following criticisms?

(A) It bases a conclusion about the scientific findings of the research organizations on uncertain recollections.

(B) It assumes that the experiments done by the research organizations are unaffected by bias or human error.

(C) It assumes that the experiments done by the research organizations are the only work necessary to develop a scientific theory.

(D) It hastily concludes that the experiments done by the research organizations are accurate, without having studied them in detail.

(E) It assumes that having in the past used the experiments done by the research organizations as a basis to develop a scientific theory justifies using them to develop the current theory.

I was in doldrums between A and B, but unfortunately chose B.
At the first read, A seemed not the right answer as it somewhat weakens the argument. In C, since scientist took leverage of his/her previous theories based on the same research organization's findings that this time again his/her basis wouldn't falter. D and E are easy to eliminate.
B seemed perfect to me as bias and human error looked irrelevant, however, in a weakener question or strengthener question we need to find external factors also that can weaken.

I have highlighted two factors in red/green text in each choice - one signifies generic weakening word/s(assumes/bases) and other is actual logical factor behind that reasoning.

Hope this helps.

Answer A.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts