Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 05:27 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 05:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1992 [1]
Given Kudos: 751
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
Sia Admissions Representative
Affiliations: NYU, Yale
Own Kudos [?]: 145 [1]
Given Kudos: 67
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 772 [0]
Given Kudos: 97
GMAT 1: 540 Q49 V16
GMAT 2: 680 Q49 V33
Send PM
Re: Should I retake the GMAT [#permalink]
Hello drewjr28

Congratulations on that great score . Although my post is not answering your very question, but I could not refrained myself from acknowledging this great feet.These are the kind of scores that keep motivating many students like me.

I am sure the experts of the GC Community will answer your question.

Congratulations again on the great achievement.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 690 Q43 V41
GPA: 3.19
Send PM
Hey Drew,

My advice is to focus more on crafting your applications at this point. Your score is already within the range of many top schools, and the GMAT is only one part of the whole application package. Coming up with your story and packaging yourself as a good candidate for a program takes a lot of time, and you should take the time to do that.

Just my two cents.

Good luck!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 481 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Hey Drew

I think you have got a great score.congrats for that.

As per my suggestion you should focus on building up your profile ,highlighting key aspects which could distinguish you from others.
Perhaps you can contact any of profile evaluators on gmatclub ,they will guide you in better way.

Thanks

Posted from my mobile device
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Expert Reply
drewjr28 wrote:
Hey all,

I studied for the GMAT for about 4 months and scored a 740 on the GMAT (49 Quant, 41 Verbal, 8 Integrated Reasoning, and 6 AWA). My practice tests in order were 730, 750, 730, 780, 740, 750. I graduated from Tulane University with a degree in Finance and a 3.97 GPA. After graduating, I served in Teach for America before joining a startup company in a finance role. I am looking to apply to M7 schools this fall or next fall. Based on my practices scores, background, and target schools, do you all think I should retake the test again or work on improving other aspects of my application?

I appreciate the advice!

Hi drewjr28,

The top 7 are Stretch programs for almost every candidate :-)

We would say that you do not quite need a re-take at this point. 740 is a good score and you must spend this time focusing on your essays and recommendations. The GMAT is only one part of the application and your essays will need a great deal of deliberation so it is good to start now.

All the best! :-)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Thank you all for the advice!
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 1109 [0]
Given Kudos: 1752
GPA: 4
Send PM
Expert Reply
I can only agree with what others have already stated before me, as someone working for an admissions consulting company where we specialize in applicants with low GMAT scores, not that 740 is low by any means. But I know from first hand experience that a lot of GMAT scores can be overcome with the right essays and recommendations, and I definitely think you are a prime example of that. So I would also not recommend a retake at this point, but make sure those essays are excellent!

Good luck!
GMAT Club Bot