Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 11:08 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 11:08

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5428 [169]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8554 [91]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7628 [40]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Queens MBA Thread Master
Own Kudos [?]: 379 [20]
Given Kudos: 45
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Send PM
Re: Since 1975 so many people have been moving to Utah such that Mormons [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Since 1975 so many people have been moving to Utah such that Mormons who were once 75 percent of the population are now only accounting for half of it.

Split 1# : “Only accounting for half” Vs “Accounting for only half”
Only should modify Half not account or accounting. Only accounting implies, Mormons could have done something great but they only account. So option A and D are incorrect.
Split 2 # : “Are now accounting” Vs “now account”
Present progressive is not required. Sentence presents a general fact, I think Simple present is much better choice than Simple progressive.
Option A, B, C – Incorrect
Split 3 : “Were 75 % population” Vs” represented 75% of population”
One cannot be 75% of population, but it can represent 75% of population. Indians Represent 30 % of Canadian population. We cannot say Indians are 30% of Canadian population. Later is not proper.
So “were 75 % of population” is incorrect
Option A,C incorrect

A. so many people have been moving to Utah such that Mormons who were once 75 percent of the population are now only accounting for half of it -
Incorrect – Split1, 2 , 3
B. many people have been moving to Utah, so Mormons once 75 percent of the population are now accounting for only half
Incorrect – Split 2
C. that many people have been moving to Utah, such that the Mormons that were once 75 percent of the population are now accounting for only half of it Incorrect
Incorrect - split 2,3
D. many people have been moving to Utah such that the Mormons, who once represented 75 percent of the population, now only account for half Incorrect
Incorrect – split 2
E. so many people have been moving to Utah that the Mormons, who once represented 75 percent of the population, now account for only half - Correct
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63672 [16]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: Since 1975 so many people have been moving to Utah such that Mormons [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Mdacosta, there's some pretty persistent voices out there saying that you can "ignore the fluff" or "ignore the middleman" between two commas. That's an oversimplification, and not something that you'd want to apply too broadly to GMAT questions.

Don't get me wrong: it can be useful to strip out some modifiers to help you see the sentence structure more clearly. Subject-verb agreement is the most obvious example:

• A bag of peaches, which are delicious fruit grown in the hills of southern Georgia and on the western slope of Colorado, cost more at Whole Foods than at Safeway.

Obviously, it's much easier to spot the error ("A bag... cost" is incorrect) if you "ignore the fluff" ("of peaches" and that whole mess inside the commas).

Thing is, you don't want to permanently and completely ignore that stuff. Absolutely anything in the sentence can impact the meaning, or provide a referent for a pronoun. In the GMATPrep example about Mormons in Utah, the sentence makes perfect sense if you're reading the whole thing, including the stuff inside the commas -- but if you ignore that modifier completely, you'll end up with the wrong answer.

So yes, "ignore the middleman" temporarily to help you understand structure or subject-verb agreement, but don't completely ignore anything when it comes to the meaning of the sentence.

I hope this helps!
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1069 [10]
Given Kudos: 75
GMAT 1: 650 Q50 V27
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
I don't think the 75% of the population is the subject of the choices of A, B and C. The subject of those choices is Mormons.

A. so many people have been moving to Utah such that Mormons who were once 75 percent of
the population are now only accounting for half of it >> pronoun error, is it 75% of Utah or population
B. many people have been moving to Utah, so Mormons once 75 percent of the population are
now accounting for only half >> accounting for = responsible for, object caused something >> changes the meaning
C. that many people have been moving to Utah, such that the Mormons that were once 75
percent of the population are now accounting for only half of it >> same error in choice A
D. many people have been moving to Utah such that the Mormons, who once represented 75
percent of the population, now only account for half >> only is misplaced >> changes the meaning
E. so many people have been moving to Utah that the Mormons, who once represented 75
percent of the population, now account for only half >> meaning intact, no error.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 4690 [8]
Given Kudos: 463
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
The sentence tests usage of 2 correct idiomatic expressions

1. So X that Y { Answers the question why }
2. Account for {gives a satisfactory record of something}

A. so many people have been moving to Utah such that Mormons who were once 75 percent of the population are now only accounting for half of it
B. many people have been moving to Utah, so Mormons once 75 percent of the population are now accounting for only half
C. that many people have been moving to Utah, such that the Mormons that were once 75 percent of the population are now accounting for only half of it
D. many people have been moving to Utah such that the Mormons, who once represented 75 percent of the population, now only account for half
E. so many people have been moving to Utah that the Mormons, who once represented 75 percent of the population, now account for only half

So IMHO (E)
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5426 [2]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Since 1975 so many people have been moving to Utah such that Mormons who were once 75 percent of the population are now only accounting for half of it

A. so many people have been moving to Utah such that Mormons who were once 75 percent of the population are now only accounting for half of it
B. many people have been moving to Utah, so Mormons once 75 percent of the population are now accounting for only half Change in meaning
C. that many people have been moving to Utah, such that the Mormons that were once 75 percent of the population are now accounting for only half of it
D. many people have been moving to Utah such that the Mormons, who once represented 75 percent of the population, now only account for half --> Only is incorrectly modifying Account.
E. so many people have been moving to Utah that the Mormons, who once represented 75 percent of the population, now account for only half
IIM School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 352 [2]
Given Kudos: 214
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
HI Experts,

Please help me with option E, esp. the part "...only half". Although GMATNinja mentioned in one of the comments about data between commas can't be ignored straightaway, how to go ahead in such case. ".. only half" of what?. Any similar examples or posts to have better understanding?

Thanks in advance.
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35497 [2]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
marine wrote:
Since 1975 so many people have been moving to Utah such that Mormons who were once 75 percent of the population are now only accounting for half of it.

(A) so many people have been moving to Utah such that Mormons who were once 75 percent of the population are now only accounting for half of it

(B) many people have been moving to Utah, so Mormons once 75 percent of the population are now accounting for only half

(C) that many people have been moving to Utah, such that the Mormons that were once 75 percent of the population are now accounting for only half of it

(D) many people have been moving to Utah such that the Mormons, who once represented 75 percent of the population, now only account for half

(E) so many people have been moving to Utah that the Mormons, who once represented 75 percent of the population, now account for only half

fauji wrote:
HI Experts,

Please help me with option E, esp. the part "...only half". Although GMATNinja mentioned in one of the comments about data between commas can't be ignored straightaway, how to go ahead in such case. ".. only half" of what?. Any similar examples or posts to have better understanding?

Thanks in advance.

shobhitkh wrote:
In OA E, can we not argue that sentence is incomplete. Half of what....??

fauji and shobhitkh , you asked, half of what?

Answer: Half of the population [of Utah].
I'm not sure what else the answer could be.
We've just been told that a certain group was 75% of the population, but now that group accounts for only half (50%). Of . . . . the population.

Nothing is wrong with the OA.
Nouns can be "dropped."
Omitting words is called ellipsis.

HERE is a post by Mike McGarry on ellipsis. His examples may help.

When ellipsis is used, the "missing" words are implied.

In this question, a fully written out sentence would have been:
. . . Mormons, who once represented 75% of the population, now account for only half of the population.

Those two prepositional phrases are parallel. The second one can be dropped, leaving us with

E) . . . . Mormons, who once represented 75% of the population, now represent only half [implied: of the population].

Omitting words is very common.
Omitting nouns is probably the most straightforward of all omissions.

I bought four cookies and she bought two [cookies].

HERE is an official sentence that
involves a lot of discussion of ellipsis (omitting words).

Here is a thread on ellipsis and substitution. Mike McGarry's links are good.

I can''t think offhand of any other official example that are similar to this one.

If you start with the thread that I listed last, it should get you started.
I hope that helps.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63672 [2]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos