Last visit was: 01 May 2024, 01:44 It is currently 01 May 2024, 01:44

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 494 [1]
Given Kudos: 2412
GMAT 1: 620 Q44 V31
GMAT 2: 610 Q47 V28
GMAT 3: 700 Q49 V36
GMAT 4: 690 Q48 V35
GMAT 5: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT 6: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
GPA: 3.2
WE:Account Management (Computer Software)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 199 [0]
Given Kudos: 176
GMAT 1: 540 Q39 V26
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V31
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [0]
Given Kudos: 45
GMAT 1: 510 Q46 V17
WE:Web Development (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
St. John s, Newfoundland, lies on the same latitude as [#permalink]
St. John’s, Newfoundland, lies on the same latitude as Paris, France, but in spring St. John’s residents are less likely to be sitting at outdoor cafes than to be bracing themselves against arctic chills, shoveling snow, or seeking shelter from a raging northeast storm.
(A) residents are less likely to be sitting at outdoor cafes than to be bracing themselves against arctic chills, shoveling snow, or seeking -- less X than Y
(B) residents are less likely to sit at outdoor cafes, and more to brace themselves against arctic chills, shovel snow, or be seeking -- less X and more Y
(C) residents are less likely to be sitting at outdoor cafes, and more likely to be bracing themselves against arctic chills, shoveling snow, or to be seeking -- less X and more Y
(D) residents, instead of their sitting at outdoor cafes, they are more likely to brace themselves against arctic chills, shovel snow, or seek -- Instead X and more Y
(E) residents, instead of sitting at outdoor cafes, are more likely to brace themselves against arctic chills, shovel snow, or to be seeking -- Instead X and more Y

A must be correct.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 428 [0]
Given Kudos: 331
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GPA: 3.76
Send PM
Re: St. John's, Newfoundland, lies on the same latitude as Paris, France, [#permalink]
daagh
Your explanation is awesome as always. I have a question regarding option A. The sentence says St. John's, Newfoundland, lies on the same latitude as Paris Can you explain the use of AS here?

daagh wrote:
If you expand the choice A, the subtle llism will pop-up

Residents are less likely (X) to be sitting at outdoor cafes than(Y) to be [1) bracing themselves against arctic chills, 2) shoveling snow, 3) or seeking)]

The symmetrical and idiomatic parallelism of " x than y” is maintained by using ‘ to be’ for both arms of comparison ; the series parallelism is maintained by using progressive forms such as bracing , shoveling and seeking and the ‘to be’ mentioned for the first factor is common to all the three factors.

On the contrary, C fouls tenets of comparative parallelism by choosing to drop the comparative cursor ‘than’ from the sentence and C is merely an expository statement, deviating from the focus of the text. More importantly, C breaks series llism by missing the infinitive ‘to be’ in the second arm ‘shoveling’. To be perfectly parallel, it should either state “to be bracing themselves against arctic chills, to be shoveling snow, or to be seeking” or retain ‘to be’ for the first arm and leave it for the other two, as done in choice A.

Of course B, D and E can be dropped for various infringements. A is the eventual choice,
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 428 [0]
Given Kudos: 331
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GPA: 3.76
Send PM
Re: St. John's, Newfoundland, lies on the same latitude as Paris, France, [#permalink]
daagh

Can i give you 1000 kudos? Thanks a million. Your explanation helped me a lot....

daagh wrote:
Sananoor
Hi

The answer to this simple question is not that simple.

We are aware that there are three types of verbs namely, 1. Action verbs, 2. Linking verbs, 3. and helping verbs. We will deal with the first two types of verbs in this context.
Action verbs clearly indicate an action on the part of a doer namely the subject.

I sing well

Linking verbs on the contrary just do not do any action but simply connect the subject with the rest of the information the sentence. They are also called extant verbs, status verbs, coupling verbs, or simply copulas.

It is also a basic tenet that, when an action is being compared, we compulsorily use the word 'as' a conjunction and therefore there will be always two clauses in the comparison. Here the comparison is between the action of X and Y. We can't afford to skip the second verb in these cases
I sing as well as my brother does.

Nobody knows the child as well as the mother does. if you skip the second verb, it will mean that both th mother and the child ar not known.

However in the case of the linking verbs, since there is no action involved, the comparison essentially remains between the two arms of comparison namely X and Y and not between X's action and Y's action. Here, the word 'as ' is used as a preposition and since a preposition is involved, what follows must be a noun yet again.

Eg. I am as tall as my brother --- We do not say, --- I am as tall as my brother is. The second verb is unnecessary since I am just comparing me with my brother.

We can also see the prepositional use of 'as' to mean 'in the role of'.

As the parent, the mother has plenty of responsibilities in the early child rearing.
As the head of the company, the CEO is responsible to the investors.

Now on to our example:

St. John's lies on the same latitude as Paris --- Here 'lies' is not an action verb. It is simply a linking verb. Therefore, St' John's is being compared with Paris.

(Lies is a tricky word. When somebody deliberately tells a lie, it is an action verb. As the plural of the singular 'lie', it is a noun.)

How to make out between an action verb from a linking verb

Try to replace the doubtful verb with the word 'is'. If it makes sense, it is a linking verb. If it does not make any sense, then it is an action verb.

Nobody knows the child as the mother. -- Replace the verb 'knows' with the word 'is'; you get - Nobody is the child as the mother-. This does not make any sense. Hence knows is an action verb.You must now say - Nobody knows the child as the does the mother-.

Tom appeared nervous when he appeared for the GMAT for the first time - Now, let us replace the two words 'appeared' with either is or was.

Tom was nervous when he was for the GMAT for the first time.

The first 'was' seems to make some sense. Hence, the first 'appeared' is a linking verb. However, the second 'was' does not make any sense. Therefore, the second 'appeared'is an action verb

I have tried to explain as I understood Sananoor's query. Sorry, If I am irrelevant.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 70
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 4
Send PM
a

less likely to do x than y.

A clearly states that
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 263 [0]
Given Kudos: 811
GMAT 1: 590 Q44 V27
GMAT 2: 600 Q46 V27
GMAT 3: 690 Q47 V37
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
St. John's, Newfoundland, lies on the same latitude as Paris, France, [#permalink]
Apart from parallelism issue, comparison can be a weapon to eliminate other options. We need to maintain comparative expression. less/more..than
Options B,C,D and E are incorrect for failing to maintain comparative expression.

The comparative expression issue(less...than) is only in option A. Correct
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 45
Send PM
St. John's, Newfoundland, lies on the same latitude as Paris, France, but in spring St. John's residents are less likely to be sitting at outdoor cafes than to be bracing themselves against arctic chills, shoveling snow, or seeking shelter from a raging northeast storm.

(A) residents are less likely to be sitting at outdoor cafes than to be bracing themselves against arctic chills, shoveling snow, or seeking

(B) residents are less likely to sit at outdoor cafes, and more to brace themselves against arctic chills, shovel snow, or be seeking

(C) residents are less likely to be sitting at outdoor cafes, and more likely to be bracing themselves against arctic chills, shoveling snow, or to be seeking

(D) residents, instead of their sitting at outdoor cafes, they are more likely to brace themselves against arctic chills, shovel snow, or seek

(E) residents, instead of sitting at outdoor cafes, are more likely to brace themselves against arctic chills, shovel snow, or to be seeking

[can i also just complain about this text editor for a sec... man making this post makes me realize the amount of time goes into each reply (esp the expert replies) is just insane]
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 148
Send PM
ChrisLele wrote:
St. John’s, Newfoundland, lies on the same latitude as Paris, France, but in spring St. John’s residents are less likely to be sitting at outdoor cafes than to be bracing themselves against arctic chills, shoveling snow, or seeking shelter from a raging northeast storm.

(A) residents are less likely to be sitting at outdoor cafes than to be bracing themselves against arctic chills, shoveling snow, or seeking

'to be sitting...' is parallel to 'to be bracing...', which, in turn, is parallel to 'shoveling snow' and 'seeking'

(B) residents are less likely to sit at outdoor cafes, and more to brace themselves against arctic chills, shovel snow, or be seeking

'be seeking' is not parellel with the rest of the sentence.

(C) residents are less likely to be sitting at outdoor cafes, and more likely to be bracing themselves against arctic chills, shoveling snow, or to be seeking

'to be seeking' breaks up the parallelism of 'Verb-ing'

(D) residents, instead of their sitting at outdoor cafes, they are more likely to brace themselves against arctic chills, shovel snow, or seek

'their sitting at...' is awkward.

(E) residents, instead of sitting at outdoor cafes, are more likely to brace themselves against arctic chills, shovel snow, or to be seeking

'to be seeking' is not parallel with 'brace' and 'shovel.'

Hi ChrisLele,

Thanks for your clarification.
In option D "they are more likely to brace themselves against arctic chills, shovel" is an Independent clause.Should it have ",+and" in the beginning?
Can you please help me with your response?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
St. John's, Newfoundland, lies on the same latitude as Paris, France, [#permalink]
St. John's, Newfoundland, lies on the same latitude as Paris, France, but in spring St. John's residents are less likely to be sitting at outdoor cafes than to be bracing themselves against arctic chills, shoveling snow, or seeking shelter from a raging northeast storm.

Option Elimination -

(A) residents are less likely to be sitting at outdoor cafes than to be bracing themselves against arctic chills, shoveling snow, or seeking - less ..than....or X than Y is ok. More importantly, the list after "than" is parallel - bracing, shoveling, and seeking - to be common for all.

(B) residents are less likely to sit at outdoor cafes, and more to brace themselves against arctic chills, shovel snow, or be seeking - the real issue here is the list after more - to brace, (to understood) shovel snow, or (to understood) to be seeking. Wrong.

(C) residents are less likely to be sitting at outdoor cafes, and more likely to be bracing themselves against arctic chills, shoveling snow, or to be seeking - again, the real issue is missing to be before shoveling or an additional to be before seeking.

(D) residents, instead of their sitting at outdoor cafes, they are more likely to brace themselves against arctic chills, shovel snow, or seek - "their sitting"? Not correct.

(E) residents, instead of sitting at outdoor cafes, are more likely to brace themselves against arctic chills, shovel snow, or to be seeking - again, the issue is the list after likely to brace, (to understood) shovel, or (to understood) to be seeking - wrong.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts