Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 09:36 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 09:36

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [149]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 270 [35]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [27]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Taste buds are onion-shaped structures with between 50 and 100 taste [#permalink]
Kudos
Taste buds are onion-shaped structures with between 50 and 100 taste cells, each of them has fingerlike projections poking through the opening located at the top of the taste bud called the taste pore.

A. them has fingerlike projections poking through the opening located at the top of the taste bud called the taste pore - is "each" or "them" conjuction ? we have two independent clauses ! above that what "called the tase pore" modifies, should it modify taste bud , i dont think so

B. them that have fingerlike projections that poke through an opening located at the top of the taste bud, which they call the taste pore - has

C. which has fingerlike projections poking through the opening, called the taste pore, located at the top of taste bud - which conjuction ! and "called the taste pore" is nearer to what it modifies - opening

which having fingerlike projections that poke through an opening, which is called the taste pore, located at the top of the taste bud - having wrong

E. which have fingerlike projections that are poking through an opening located at the top of the taste bud called the taste pore
Taste buds are onion-shaped structures with between 50 and 100 taste cells, each of them has fingerlike projections poking through the opening located at the top of the taste bud called the taste pore.

A. them has fingerlike projections poking through the opening located at the top of the taste bud called the taste pore

B. them that have fingerlike projections that poke through an opening located at the top of the taste bud, which they call the taste pore

C. which has fingerlike projections poking through the opening, called the taste pore, located at the top of taste bud

D. which having fingerlike projections that poke through an opening, which is called the taste pore, located at the top of the taste bud

E. which have fingerlike projections that are poking through an opening located at the top of the taste bud called the taste pore - has
Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:59 am
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 178 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Re: Taste buds are onion-shaped structures with between 50 and 100 taste [#permalink]
Kudos
Hi,
Thanks for the reply.
But In my view, the participle 'located at the top of the taste bud' is correctly pointing (touching) the gerund 'opening'. Also the participle 'called the test pore' is near to test bud as in A.

Could you please stress on the placings of the past participles as I could be wrong. whether past participles should be placed next to the noun they are modifying.

Thanks
-Amit
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 152 [4]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.6
WE:Project Management (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
If I use my ear, I think

'each of them' refers to taste buds
'each of which' refers to taste cells - which fits with the intended reference

Along with this the position of "called the taste pore" is also determining the correctness of any sentence.

So I'll also go with 'C'
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28574 [6]
Given Kudos: 130
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
amitanand wrote:

(A) them has fingerlike projections poking through the opening located at the top of the taste bud called the taste pore

(B) them that have fingerlike projections that poke through an opening located at the top of the taste bud, which they call the taste pore

(C) which has fingerlike projections poking through the opening, called the taste pore, located at the top of taste bud

(D) which having fingerlike projections that poke through an opening, which is called the taste pore, located at the top of the taste bud

(E) which have fingerlike projections that are poking through an opening located at the top of the taste bud called the taste pore

I'm happy to help with this. :-)

In my understanding, the OA = (C). Here's why.

We have what MGMAT calls a "subgroup modifier" in this problem. We have two major options for the grammatical organization of the sentence.
(a) we could have [independent clause][subordinate clause]
.... taste cells, each of which has ...
OR
(b) we could have [independent clause][absolute phrase]
.... taste cells, each of them having ...
See this post for more on absolute phrases, with a practice question that presents the same kind of choice:
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/absolute-p ... -the-gmat/
Notice, we cannot have the pronoun "them" with the subordinate clause, nor can we have the relative pronouns "which" or "that" with the absolute phrase. BTW, the GMAT loves to test this, and stir in these incorrect possibilities among the four incorrect answer choices.

(A) is a run-on sentence ---- if we changed the comma to a period, we would have two independent clauses. This makes (A) 100% wrong. For more on run-on sentences, see:
https://gmat.magoosh.com/lessons/916-run-on-sentences
(B) has the odd noun phrase "some of them" loose in the sentence, not connected to anything, a free-floating noun. That's always wrong.
Both (A) & (B) attempt to use the pronoun "them" with something other than an absolute phrase. That leads to their inevitable mistakes.

(C) Perfect

(D) this makes the opposite mistake, opposite to (A) & (B) ---- now, they are trying to use the relative pronoun "which" with the absolute phrase, which is also a disaster.
(E) This gets the basic structure correct, relative pronoun introducing a subordinate clause, but now we have a S-V Agreement problem. The pronoun "each" is singular, so we need a singular verb "each ... has", not "each .. have". Therefore, this is incorrect.

The only possible correct answer is (C).

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28574 [1]
Given Kudos: 130
Kudos
Expert Reply
amitanand wrote:
Hi,
Thanks for the reply.
But In my view, the participle 'located at the top of the taste bud' is correctly pointing (touching) the gerund 'opening'. Also the participle 'called the test pore' is near to test bud as in A.

Could you please stress on the placings of the past participles as I could be wrong. whether past participles should be placed next to the noun they are modifying.

Thanks
-Amit

Amit
Normally, noun modifies of any sort (participle, prepositional phrase, subordinate clause) should touch the noun they modify. This is the Modifier Touch Rule This is an important rule, but there are some exceptions. See:
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/modifiers- ... orrection/
What's going on in this sentence, version (C), is not at all one of the standard exceptions.

Think about the modifier here, in version (C).
... poking through the opening, called the taste pore, located at the top of taste bud ....
Yes, the participial phrase "located at the top of the taste bud" modifiers "opening". BUT, look at what comes in between. The phrase "called the taste pore" does not merely modify the word "opening" --- this is a rare instance in which the modifying phrase actually gives another name for the same thing. In other words, "opening" and "taste pore" are two ways to refer to the same identical thing, and therefore the "located" modifier can touch either of them and still be correct.

Never be mechanical with the application of grammar rules. Grammar rules always have to respond to the underlying logic of what is being said, and ultimately, grammar trumps logic. Because of the logic, the meaning, of what that phrase between the comma says, we have to change the general rule and respond to the particulars of what is being said in this individual sentence.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 225 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT Date: 03-02-2015
GPA: 3.88
Send PM
Guys,

I'm still not clear.
I picked A instead of c.
Is there a meaning issue also?
Kindly elaborate.
Experts please help.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4586 [2]
Given Kudos: 606
Concentration: Technology, Other
Send PM
Kudos
Taste buds are onion-shaped structures with between 50 and 100 taste cells,
each of them has finger like projections
--poking through the opening
---located at the top of the taste bud
----called the taste pore.

Intended meaning:
1.Taste buds are onion-shaped structures with between 50 and 100 taste cells
2.Cell has finger like projections
--poking through the opening
---located at the top of the taste bud.
3.The opening is called the taste pore.

Analysis:
1.Each is singular.
2.Modifier needs to modify the intended noun without any ambiguity.
3.IC are not connected properly. Poosible solution: comma +and, make second clause sub clause by adding relative pronoun etc.

Correct answer C.

A. them has fingerlike projections poking through the opening located at the top of the taste bud called the taste pore
>>[Run of s two IC are connected by comma. TB are... , each of them has .....]
B. them that have fingerlike projections that poke through an opening located at the top of the taste bud, which they call the taste pore
C. which has fingerlike projections poking through the opening, called the taste pore, located at the top of taste bud
>>TB are... , each of which (relative pronoun) has .....]
D. which having fingerlike projections that poke through an opening, which is called the taste pore, located at the top of the taste bud
E. which have fingerlike projections that are poking through an opening located at the top of the taste bud called the taste pore
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 119 [0]
Given Kudos: 148
Send PM
daagh wrote:
A. them has fingerlike projections poking through the opening located at the top of the taste bud called the taste pore ---- This choice contains two independent clauses, connected only by a comma, making it a run-on.

Apart from Two IC, Is "THEM" in option is ambiguous [Taste Buds or Taste Cells]??? Is my understanding correct?
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8554 [1]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
Kudos
sowragu wrote:
daagh wrote:
A. them has fingerlike projections poking through the opening located at the top of the taste bud called the taste pore ---- This choice contains two independent clauses, connected only by a comma, making it a run-on.

Apart from Two IC, Is "THEM" in option is ambiguous [Taste Buds or Taste Cells]??? Is my understanding correct?

Hello.

In A & B, "them" is correct. "each of them" modifies the CLOSEST noun "taste cells".

Wrong. Misplaced modifier error.

Wrong. S-V agreement error + Misplaced modifier error.

Hope it helps.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 125 [0]
Given Kudos: 113
Send PM
Dear All,

I need one clarification regardin the subgroup modifier....please could you hlep.

In the MGMAT there is this example in page no 240.

Right: This model explains all known subatomic particles, some of which were only recently discovered.

the associated example includes.,

Wrong: This model explains all known subatomic particles, some of which only recently discovered.

I understood that WERE is a must when using the which construction.

In the page no 250 MGMAT has a similar sentence that is correct according to MGMAT but the sentence is lacking WERE.

The houses on the canal street, many of which had been damaged in the storm, looked abandoned.

My question,

Is it compulsory to use the word WERE when referring to subgroup while the using the WHICH construction.

Please could you help me with this.

Thank you for your help in advance.

tuanquang269 wrote:
ugimba wrote:

(A) them has fingerlike projections poking through the opening located at the top of the taste bud called the taste pore

(C) which has fingerlike projections poking through the opening, called the taste pore, located at the top of the taste bud

can some one explain the difference between option A and C? ( each of them vs each of which? )

'each of them' refers to object ( in this case, onion shaped structures?)
'each of which' referes to subjects ( in this case, taste buds?)

I remember how to use subgroup modifier in MGMAT Sentence Correction pg 236. Use "part of them" never go with verb in active voice. Only "part of which" can go with verb in active voice. I should give you example in this book.

Right: This model explains all known subatomic particles, SOME OF WHICH WERE only recently discovered.

Right: This model explains all known subatomic particles, SOME OF THEM only recently discovered.

Right: This model explains all known subatomic particles, SOME only recently discovered.

PART here can be SANAM group.

Wrong: This model explains all known subatomic particles, OF WHICH SOME WERE only recently discovered.

Wrong: This model explains all known subatomic particles, SOME OF THEM WHICH WERE only recently discovered.

Wrong: This model explains all known subatomic particles, SOME OF WHICH only recently discovered.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
shriramvelamuri wrote:
Dear All,

I need one clarification regardin the subgroup modifier....please could you hlep.

In the MGMAT there is this example in page no 240.

Right: This model explains all known subatomic particles, some of which were only recently discovered.

the associated example includes.,

Wrong: This model explains all known subatomic particles, some of which only recently discovered.

I understood that WERE is a must when using the which construction.

In the page no 250 MGMAT has a similar sentence that is correct according to MGMAT but the sentence is lacking WERE.

The houses on the canal street, many of which had been damaged in the storm, looked abandoned.

My question,

Is it compulsory to use the word WERE when referring to subgroup while the using the WHICH construction.

Hi! While I have not heard of this term subgroup modifier , but nevertheless, whether we need to use were or are or had been is a tense issue and not a modifier issue.

For example in the sentence: The houses on the canal street, many of which had been damaged in the storm, looked abandoned .

This is a classical case of where two events happened in the past:
i) Houses looked abandoned
ii) Many of the houses were abandoned

However, ii) happened at an unspecified time before i) and so, ii) is expressed as past perfect tense.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses Past perfect tense, its application and examples in significant detail. If someone is interested, PM me your email-id, I can mail the corresponding section.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 287 [4]
Given Kudos: 25
Concentration: Leadership, Technology
GPA: 3.5
WE:Engineering (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Kudos