It is currently 22 Nov 2017, 02:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Taste buds are onion-shaped structures with between 50 and

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 98

Concentration: Leadership, Technology
Reviews Badge
Re: Taste buds are onion-shaped structures with between 50 and [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jan 2015, 02:48
ugimba wrote:
Taste buds are onion-shaped structures with between 50 and 100 taste cells, each of them has fingerlike projections poking through the opening located at the top of the taste bud called the taste pore.

(A) them has fingerlike projections poking through the opening located at the top of the taste bud called the taste pore

(B) them that have fingerlike projections that poke through an opening located at the top of the taste bud, which they call the taste pore

(C) which has fingerlike projections poking through the opening, called the taste pore, located at the top of the taste bud

(D) which having fingerlike projections that poke through an opening, which is called the taste pore, located at the top of the taste bud

(E) which have fingerlike projections that are poking through an opening located at the top of the taste bud called the taste pore

[Reveal] Spoiler:
can some one explain the difference between option A and C? ( each of them vs each of which? )

'each of them' refers to object ( in this case, onion shaped structures?)
'each of which' referes to subjects ( in this case, taste buds?)

A - has misplaced modifier 'taste bud called the taste pore'
B - Very wordy.
C - Correct
D - Wrong Tense 'are poking '. Simple Present tense required to state universal facts/ truths.
E - Subject verb error - have = plural; subject = each of which = singular

Cheers!
-----------------------------
Please give kudos if you think it is worth it !

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 98

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 75 [1], given: 25

Concentration: Leadership, Technology
GPA: 3.5
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)

Show Tags

New post 09 Jan 2015, 00:38
This post received
KUDOS
Each of them has --- independent clause .

Each of which has -- dependent clause .

note : "which " -- clause marker .but , " them " --- is not .

option A : wonr because , it connects two independent clause by a comma only . - See more at: http://www.crackverbal.com/forum/thread ... Zf2kX.dpuf

Regards ,

Kudos [?]: 75 [1], given: 25

Non-Human User

Kudos [?]: 270 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 10 Feb 2016, 17:41
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 270 [0], given: 0

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 35 [1], given: 342

Concentration: Finance, Marketing
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2016, 03:56
This post received
KUDOS
Taste buds are onion-shaped structures with between 50 and 100 taste cells, each of them has fingerlike projections poking through the opening located at the top of the taste bud called the taste pore.

(A) them has fingerlike projections poking through the opening located at the top of the taste bud called the taste pore :- "each of them has fingerlike projections poking through the opening located at the top of the taste bud called the taste pore. " is an independent clause. They need conjunction

(B) them that have fingerlike projections that poke through an opening located at the top of the taste bud, which they call the taste pore: Same as A

(C) which has fingerlike projections poking through the opening, called the taste pore, located at the top of the taste bud

(D) which having fingerlike projections that poke through an opening, which is called the taste pore, located at the top of the taste bud

(E) which have fingerlike projections that are poking through an opening located at the top of the taste bud called the taste pore

Kudos [?]: 35 [1], given: 342

Director
Director
G

Kudos [?]: 230 [0], given: 855

Concentration: Marketing, International Business
Schools: HBS '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 4
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2017, 00:21
A - incorrect, the two clauses in the sentence are not logically related to each other and thus this sentence is a run-on(What’s a run on ---> 'them' in choice a is a big big BIG error that should jump out and scream at you.
namely, that sentence is a 'comma splice': a sentence in which two independent clauses (i.e., sentences that can stand on their own as complete sentences, not subordinated to any other main clause) are joined together by a comma. that phenomenon, which creates one type of 'run-on' sentence, is ALWAYS wrong.)

B - incorrect and awkward phrase "each of them that". Also in the second part of the sentence there is a personal pronoun "they" used that has no referent. We don't know who "they" is supposed to represent.

C - correct, this answer uses the expression "each of which" together with a singular verb form "has"

D - incorrect, the sentence includes the unconjugated verb form "having" where there should be a conjugated verb

E - incorrect, wrong use of the plural verb form "have" with the singular subject "each of which". Moreover, the progressive form "are poking" is unnecessarily used.

Thanks & Regards,
Anaira Mitch

Kudos [?]: 230 [0], given: 855

Top Contributor
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 8185 [1], given: 364

WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 27 Oct 2017, 11:03
This post received
KUDOS
Top Contributor
I am not going to look at the question. Let me go to the choices directly. First thing is to remember that a pore means an opening and not a protrusion such as a bud.

(A) them has fingerlike projections poking through the opening located at the top of the taste bud called the taste pore --- bud called the taste pore; not the logical meaning.

(B) them that have fingerlike projections that poke through an opening located at the top of the taste bud, which they call the taste pore ---same meaning muddle as in A.

(C) which has fingerlike projections poking through the opening, called the taste pore, located at the top of the taste bud ---- looks good enough; the singular 'each of which' tallies with its verb.

(D) which having fingerlike projections that poke through an opening, which is called a taste pore, located at the top of the taste bud -- This is a fragment ; the subordinate clause started with " each of which" has no verb

(E) which have fingerlike projections that are poking through an opening located at the top of the taste bud called the taste pore --- meaning muddle as in A and B; Only C is correct.

(However, do not try this method, if you are still at the basics)

Can you solve at least some SC questions without delving into the initial statement?

Narendran 98845 44509

Kudos [?]: 8185 [1], given: 364

Re: Taste buds are onion-shaped structures with between 50 and   [#permalink] 27 Oct 2017, 11:03

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 26 posts ] 

Taste buds are onion-shaped structures with between 50 and

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap