Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 21:14 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 21:14

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1371 [194]
Given Kudos: 46
WE:Corporate Finance (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1371 [29]
Given Kudos: 46
WE:Corporate Finance (Manufacturing)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42105 [21]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [3]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Re: The artist Pierre-Auguste Renoir's last word was "flowers," spoken [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-
mejia401 wrote:
The artist Pierre-Auguste Renoir's last word was "flowers," spoken as a bouquet consisting of roses just picked from his garden were arranged in a vase on his bedroom windowsill.

(A) as a bouquet consisting of roses just picked from his garden were arranged
(B) as a bouquet of roses, just picked from his garden, were arranged
(C) as a bouquet of roses just picked from his garden was being arranged
(D) during the arrangement of a bouquet of roses, just picked from his garden
(E) while they arranged a bouquet of roses that had just been picked, from his garden

Meaning is crucial to solving this problem:
Understanding the intended meaning is key to solving this question; the intended meaning of this sentence is that Pierre-Auguste Renoir's last word was "flowers," and it was spoken as a bouquet of roses that had just been picked from his garden was being arranged in a vase on his bedroom windowsill.

Concepts tested here: Subject-Verb Agreement + Meaning + Pronouns + Awkwardness/Redundancy

A: This answer choice incorrectly refers to the singular collective noun "bouquet" with the plural verb "were arranged"; remember, collective nouns are always singular. Further, Option A uses the needlessly wordy phrase "consisting of", leading to awkwardness and redundancy.

B: This answer choice incorrectly refers to the singular collective noun "bouquet" with the plural verb "were arranged"; remember, collective nouns are always singular.

C: Correct. This answer choice correctly refers to the singular collective noun "bouquet" with the singular verb "was being arranged". Further, the sentence formed by Option C uses the clause "a bouquet of roses...was being arranged in a vase on his bedroom windowsill", conveying the intended meaning - that the bouquet of roses was in a vase on Pierre-Auguste Renoir's bedroom windowsill. Additionally, Option C avoids the pronoun error seen in Option C, as the only pronoun it uses is "his", clearly in reference to the possessive noun "Pierre-Auguste Renoir's". Besides, Option C is free of any awkwardness or redundancy.

D: The sentence formed by this answer choice alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase "his garden in a vase on his bedroom windowsill"; the construction of this phrase illogically implies that Pierre-Auguste Renoir's garden was in a vase on his bedroom windowsill; the intended meaning is that the bouquet of roses was in a vase on Pierre-Auguste Renoir's bedroom windowsill. Further, Option D uses the needlessly indirect phrase "during the arrangement of", leading to awkwardness.

E: The sentence formed by this answer choice alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase "his garden in a vase on his bedroom windowsill"; the construction of this phrase illogically implies that Pierre-Auguste Renoir's garden was in a vase on his bedroom windowsill; the intended meaning is that the bouquet of roses was in a vase on Pierre-Auguste Renoir's bedroom windowsill. Further, Option E suffers from a pronoun error, as the pronoun "they" lacks a logical referent. Additionally, Option E uses the needlessly wordy phrase "that had just been picked", leading to awkwardness and redundancy.

Hence, C is the best answer choice.

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 949 [15]
Given Kudos: 142
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 650 Q48 V31
GMAT 2: 770 Q50 V47
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: The artist Pierre-Auguste Renoir's last word was "flowers," spoken [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
The artist Pierre-Auguste Renoir's last word was "flowers", spoken as a bouquet consisting of roses just picked from his garden were arranged in a vase on his bedroom windowsill.
corrected the typo

a. as a bouquet consisting of roses just picked from his garden were arranged
remove the modifier for easy reading, missing subject verb agreement.
b. as a bouquet of roses, just picked from his garden, were arranged
c. as a bouquet of roses just picked from his garden was being arranged
being is acceptable, as other options have terrible error
d. during the arrangement of a bouquet of roses, just picked from his garden
read back in original sentence - garden in a vase ??
e. while they arranged a bouquet of roses that had just been picked, from his garden
read back in original sentence - garden in a vase ??

There are other errors as well, but they are irrelevant for we have already identified our correct choice: C.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
GMAT 1: 610 Q49 V27
GPA: 2.5
WE:Project Management (Telecommunications)
Send PM
The artist Pierre-Auguste Renoir's last word was "flowers," spoken as a bouquet of roses just picked from his garden was being arranged in a vase on his bedroom windowsill.
I still don't get the answer C.
Dose " as" take a role as preposition?
And is it acceptable that a clause follows a preposition?
And to be short:
The artist last word was "flowers," spoken as a bouquet was being arranged in a vase on his bedroom windowsill.
Does this sentence make sense?
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31969 [1]
Given Kudos: 291
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
newconcept123 wrote:
The artist Pierre-Auguste Renoir's last word was "flowers," spoken as a bouquet of roses just picked from his garden was being arranged in a vase on his bedroom windowsill.
And to be short:
The artist last word was "flowers," spoken as a bouquet was being arranged in a vase on his bedroom windowsill.

Hi,
the role of 'as ' here is that of conjunction..
As a conjunction, AS can take various roles, one of which to describe a situation when one EVENT happens while the OTHER is in progress..
this is exactly 'as' is being used for...
Intern
Intern
Send PM
chetan2u wrote:
newconcept123 wrote:
And to be short:

Hi,
As a conjunction, AS can take various roles, one of which to describe a situation when one EVENT happens while the OTHER is in progress..

Thank you.
But what is the role of "spoken" here then?
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Expert Reply
newconcept123 wrote:
chetan2u wrote:
newconcept123 wrote:
And to be short:

Hi,

Thank you.
But what is the role of "spoken" here then?

newconcept123

The past participle phrase modifier spoken as........bedroom windowsill modifies the noun "flowers". The word spoken is a past participle used to introduce this modifier. Compare this sentence with the following simpler example:

The house built beside the river is red.

built beside the river is a past participle modifier referring to the noun house. The past participle built performs the same function as that performed by the past participle spoken in the above example.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi
I fully understand your example, but in this question the structure is "spoken +as + a subordinate clause " which is different from yours "built + prep."
I think i never met such structure, can you give me more examples about this specific structure?
Thanks.
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [3]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
newconcept123 wrote:
Hi
I fully understand your example, but in this question the structure is "spoken +as + a subordinate clause " which is different from yours "built + prep."
I think i never met such structure, can you give me more examples about this specific structure?
Thanks.

newconcept123

Ok I shall try to illustrate with some more examples of past participle modifier:

Frustrated with the senseless decisions from the management, John left his job.

The baby, tired from crying for hours, went to sleep.

The house, built beside the river, is red.

The house, built as another multi-storied building was being built a few yards away, could not be sold at a very attractive price.

(the modifier in the last example is very similar to the one given in the sentence - built + as + a clause).

Do you now see the similarity between the example I mentioned earlier with the one given in the sentence? My previous example did not include as and the clause; my point was to give a simpler example using a past participle modifier. Does this clear your doubt? Otherwise please feel free to comment.

You may also notice that there is a nested past participle modifier within the outer clause, which in turn is nested within another past participle modifier:

Innermost past participle modifier just picked from his garden modifies the noun roses.... nested within clause as a bouquet of roses....is bedroom windowsill.....which in turn is nested within the outer past participle modifier spoken....... is bedroom windowsill.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 724 [0]
Given Kudos: 294
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
GPA: 4
Send PM
Hi egmat

Although this is not asked in the question, I have a doubt regarding the verb-ed modifier used in this sentence

As the verb-ed modifier is preceded by a comma , it is modifies the preceding noun. In this sentence it is modifying "flowers". How can flowers speak as the bouquet of flowers were being arranged.

Can you help me understand where I am going wrong?

https://e-gmat.com/blogs/verb-ed-modifi ... ver-verbs/
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30802 [1]
Given Kudos: 637
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
pikolo2510 wrote:
Hi egmat

Although this is not asked in the question, I have a doubt regarding the verb-ed modifier used in this sentence

As the verb-ed modifier is preceded by a comma , it is modifies the preceding noun. In this sentence it is modifying "flowers". How can flowers speak as the bouquet of flowers were being arranged.

Can you help me understand where I am going wrong?

https://e-gmat.com/blogs/verb-ed-modifi ... ver-verbs/

Hello pikolo2510,

I will be glad to help you out with this one. :-)

Take a look at the following two sentences:

1. He spoke the word "flowers". (Active Voice sentence)

2. The word "flower" was spoken by him. (Passive Voice sentence)

In sentence 1., it is absolutely clear that the action of speaking is done by the subject he.

In sentence 2., although the subject of the sentence is The word "flower", we know that the word did not speak anything. A man did the action of speaking as evident by the verb phrase was spoken by him.

Now, the official sentence says: The artist Pierre-Auguste Renoir's last word was "flowers," spoken as a bouquet consisting of roses just picked from his garden were arranged in a vase on his bedroom windowsill.

Pay attention to the word spoken, the verb-ed modifier. These modifiers are actually derived from passive voice verbs by dropping the helping verb. So spoken suggests that word "flowers" was spoken by the artist. He did the job of uttering that word. "flowers" did not speak anything.

Hence, use of spoken is absolutely correct in this official sentence.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 3136 [2]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools:Dartmouth College
Send PM
Kudos