GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Jul 2018, 19:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

The artist Pierre-Auguste Renoir's last word was "flowers," spoken

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
G
Re: The artist Pierre-Auguste Renoir's last word was "flowers," spoken [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2017, 08:15
pikolo2510 wrote:
Hi egmat

Although this is not asked in the question, I have a doubt regarding the verb-ed modifier used in this sentence

As the verb-ed modifier is preceded by a comma , it is modifies the preceding noun. In this sentence it is modifying "flowers". How can flowers speak as the bouquet of flowers were being arranged.

Can you help me understand where I am going wrong?

https://e-gmat.com/blogs/verb-ed-modifi ... ver-verbs/

Hello pikolo2510,

I will be glad to help you out with this one. :-)

Take a look at the following two sentences:

1. He spoke the word "flowers". (Active Voice sentence)

2. The word "flower" was spoken by him. (Passive Voice sentence)

In sentence 1., it is absolutely clear that the action of speaking is done by the subject he.

In sentence 2., although the subject of the sentence is The word "flower", we know that the word did not speak anything. A man did the action of speaking as evident by the verb phrase was spoken by him.

Now, the official sentence says: The artist Pierre-Auguste Renoir's last word was "flowers," spoken as a bouquet consisting of roses just picked from his garden were arranged in a vase on his bedroom windowsill.

Pay attention to the word spoken, the verb-ed modifier. These modifiers are actually derived from passive voice verbs by dropping the helping verb. So spoken suggests that word "flowers" was spoken by the artist. He did the job of uttering that word. "flowers" did not speak anything.

Hence, use of spoken is absolutely correct in this official sentence.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

e-GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesJamboree Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
B
Re: The artist Pierre-Auguste Renoir's last word was "flowers," spoken [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2017, 14:20
n22 wrote:
apart from garden in a vase what else is a mistake in d option?

I was trying this question and for me the option b was :

"As a bouquet of roses had been just picked and was being arranged" - Off course it doesn't have SVA Were / Was issue , but rather it tried to introduce a sequence of 2 events . Technically its not wrong as it just tries to tell roses were first picked up and were later being arranged !

How do you eliminate this ? By concision ?
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2018, 17:57
semwal wrote:
The artist Pierre-Auguste Renoir's last word was "flowers," spoke as a bouquet consisting of roses just picked from his garden were arranged in a vase on his bedroom windowsill.

a. as a bouquet consisting of roses just picked from his garden were arranged
b. as a bouquet of roses, just picked from his garden, were arranged CORRECT
c. as a bouquet of roses just picked from his garden was being arranged...
d.during the arrangement of a bouquet of roses, just picked from his garden
e. while they arranged a bouquet of roses that had just been picked, from his garden

Question states that Renoir's last word was flowers and flowers are to be arranged in the vase not the bouquet. Hence were rightly refers to flowers.
Hence option B is correct.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
B
Schools: Dartmouth College

Show Tags

New post 28 Jun 2018, 04:28
mejia401 wrote:
The artist Pierre-Auguste Renoir's last word was "flowers," spoken as a bouquet consisting of roses just picked from his garden were arranged in a vase on his bedroom windowsill.

a. as a bouquet consisting of roses just picked from his garden were arranged
b. as a bouquet of roses, just picked from his garden, were arranged
c. as a bouquet of roses just picked from his garden was being arranged
d. during the arrangement of a bouquet of roses, just picked from his garden
e. while they arranged a bouquet of roses that had just been picked, from his garden

In A and B, were arranged (plural) does not agree with bouquet (singular).
Eliminate A and B.

D: the arrangement of a bouquet
A bouquet is an ARRANGEMENT of flowers.
Thus, the arrangement of a bouquet is redundant.
Eliminate D.

In E, they lacks a clear referent.
Eliminate E.

GMAT and GRE Tutor
Over 1800 followers
Click here to learn more
GMATGuruNY@gmail.com
New York, NY
If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" icon.
Available for tutoring in NYC and long-distance.
For more information, please email me at GMATGuruNY@gmail.com.

Expert Post
Top Contributor
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2018, 12:30
Top Contributor
This is a meaning based question apart from the SV error in A and B.

Let us read D and E each together with the non-underlined parts.

D. during the arrangement of a bouquet of roses, just picked from his garden ---The word order and modification are wrong here ---' The phrase "in a vase on his bedroom windowsill' modifies his garden implying that the garden itself was grown in a vase in the windowsill. That is absurd.

e. while they arranged a bouquet of roses that had just been picked, from his garden--- the same problem as in D.

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 02 Jul 2018, 06:20
daagh wrote:
This is a meaning based question apart from the SV error in A and B.

Let us read D and E each together with the non-underlined parts.

D. during the arrangement of a bouquet of roses, just picked from his garden ---The word order and modification are wrong here ---' The phrase "in a vase on his bedroom windowsill' modifies his garden implying that the garden itself was grown in a vase in the windowsill. That is absurd.

e. while they arranged a bouquet of roses that had just been picked, from his garden--- the same problem as in D.

daagh sir,
If we put a "," after the phrase "just picked from his garden", then whether that would correct the modification error??

Regards,
Tamal

Posted from my mobile device

kudos please if it helped you.

Re: The artist Pierre-Auguste Renoir's last word was "flowers," spoken   [#permalink] 02 Jul 2018, 06:20

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 26 posts ] 

The artist Pierre-Auguste Renoir's last word was "flowers," spoken

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap