Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 10:49 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 10:49

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [16]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 902 [0]
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 1393 [3]
Given Kudos: 10
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
Re: The ecosystems of barrier islands are extremely vulnerable - whether [#permalink]
I want to Know Is - part is also underlined, which looks like not , if not can any one explain Vulnerable - to is correct ?

I think after - there should be some additional information not that it continue the same sentence before hyphen, can anybody show me the rule of this hyphen
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30801 [1]
Given Kudos: 637
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Re: The ecosystems of barrier islands are extremely vulnerable - whether [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
ukunal wrote:
I want to Know Is - part is also underlined, which looks like not , if not can any one explain Vulnerable - to is correct ?

I think after - there should be some additional information not that it continue the same sentence before hyphen, can anybody show me the rule of this hyphen

Hello ukunal,

You ask a very good question here. I will be glad to help you with this one. :-)

What follows the hyphen is the entity that the ecosystems of barrier islands are vulnerable to - natural processes.

Please note that natural processes is a noun entity that is preceded by the preposition to. This prepositional phrase modifies the action are vulnerable.

So the modifier is just precede d by this hyphen to show that what follows is a description.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha
IIM School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1240 [0]
Given Kudos: 1207
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Hi Experts GMATNinja GMATNinjaTwo sayantanc2k

Can any one please help between B/ E?
Remaining choices are eliminated since such as is used for showing examples.

WR,Arpit
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30801 [1]
Given Kudos: 637
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
adkikani wrote:
Hi Experts GMATNinja GMATNinjaTwo sayantanc2k

Can any one please help between B/ E?
Remaining choices are eliminated since such as is used for showing examples.

WR,Arpit

Hello Arpit, adkikani,

I will be glad to help you with this one. :-)

B. whether from natural processes such as shoreline recession, rising sea levels, and destructive hurricanes, or also

Choice B is incorrect for a couple of reasons.

1. Use of whether is incorrect in the context of this sentence because whether is used to present choices or alternatives. But there is no question of any alternative in this sentence as the sentence intends to say that the ecosystems of barrier islands are extremely vulnerable to either natural processes or the ever-increasing pressures of development - one of the two reasons.

Also, the expression whether from is idiomatic. The correct expression is vulnerable or vulnerable to.

2. Use of also with or is incorrect. There is no question of also in the statement either this or that because in any given situation, only one factor will be applicable.

E. to natural processes such as shoreline recession, rising sea levels, and destructive hurricanes,
as well as to

Choice E is the correct answer because it uses the correct expression vulnerable to and maintains perfect parallelism. Pay attention to the specific use of to at the end of the choice. Present of this preposition leaves no ambiguity that what entities are meant to be parallel.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [0]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
A Quick Fix
Remove A, C, and D for using 'like' to denote examples. Between B and E, one is always vulnerable to and not vulnerable from. E is correct
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [0]
Given Kudos: 289
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.54
Send PM
Hi, as well as is a preposition. So, how can we have 2 prepositions together at a time. as well as to the ever-increasing pressures of development.
normally,As well as is followed by a noun. Example- I like food as well as tea. Please help me to understand that just to maintain parallelism, how can we have 2 prepositions together at a time.
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Expert Reply
sunny91 wrote:
Hi, as well as is a preposition. So, how can we have 2 prepositions together at a time. as well as to the ever-increasing pressures of development.
normally,As well as is followed by a noun. Example- I like food as well as tea. Please help me to understand that just to maintain parallelism, how can we have 2 prepositions together at a time.

"As well as" is a conjunction as well. So option E is alright.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1322 [0]
Given Kudos: 143
GMAT 1: 670 Q46 V36
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V38
GMAT 3: 690 Q48 V37
GMAT 4: 710 Q49 V38 (Online)
Send PM
kxl19 wrote:
The ecosystems of barrier islands are extremely vulnerable - whether from natural processes like shoreline recession, rising sea levels, and destructive hurricanes, or the ever-increasing pressures of development

A. whether from natural processes like shoreline recession, rising sea levels, and destructive hurricanes, or

B. whether from natural processes such as shoreline recession, rising sea levels, and destructive hurricanes, or also

C. to processes that are natural like shoreline recession, rising sea levels, and destructive hurricanes, and also

D. to processes that are natural ones like shoreline recession, rising sea levels, and destructive hurricanes, as well as to

E. to natural processes such as shoreline recession, rising sea levels, and destructive hurricanes, as well as to

Main Issue:

Like vs Such as

We use "such as" and not "like" to give examples.

A. whether from natural processes like shoreline recession, rising sea levels, and destructive hurricanes, or - Wrong: 1) Like

B. whether from natural processes such as shoreline recession, rising sea levels, and destructive hurricanes, or also - Wrong: 1) Parallelism

C. to processes that are natural like shoreline recession, rising sea levels, and destructive hurricanes, and also - Wrong: 1) Like 2) Redundant 3) Wordy

D. to processes that are natural ones like shoreline recession, rising sea levels, and destructive hurricanes, as well as to - Wrong: 1) Like 2) Wordy

E. to natural processes such as shoreline recession, rising sea levels, and destructive hurricanes, as well as to - Correct
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts