Last visit was: 27 Jul 2024, 01:09 It is currently 27 Jul 2024, 01:09
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1800 [39]
Given Kudos: 75
Concentration: International Business, Technology
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V27
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7820 [9]
Given Kudos: 221
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 277 [1]
Given Kudos: 537
Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
Schools: Sloan '18 (A)
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V41
GPA: 4
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: The test was easy enough that I mastered it  after a simple brain tran [#permalink]
Kudos
answer is c
A : wordy was expensive to such a degree etc etc
B: wrong use of idiom" so X that Y" is correct usage.
C: correct grammatically.
D: awakward + its better to use comma to separate separate two parts.
E: semi-colon not really required + the it in the first part is redundant.

hope it helps
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 78 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
WE:Information Technology (Health Care)
Send PM
Re: The test was easy enough that I mastered it  after a simple brain tran [#permalink]
A looks fine to me. Whats the issue with it?
Can someone please explain?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Leadership, International Business
WE:Medicine and Health (Health Care)
Send PM
[highlight]The test was easy enough that I mastered it after a simple brain transplant. The transplant, however, was expensive to such a degree that I had to take out a second mortgage.

A)The test was easy enough that I mastered it after a simple brain transplant. The transplant, however, was expensive to such a degree that I had to take out a second mortgage.
B)The test was so easy for me to master after a simple brain transplant, but the transplant was so expensive that I had to take out a second mortgage.
C)The test was easy enough for me to master after a simple brain transplant. The transplant, however, was so expensive that I had to take out a second mortgage.
D)The transplant was so expensive that I had to take out a second mortgage but the test was so easy that i mastered it after this simple brain transplant.
E) The test was easier enough for me to master it after a simple brain transplant; however, transplant was so expensive that I had to take out a second mortgage. [/highlight

naina- in "A" {WAS EXPENSIVE TO SUCH A DEGREE} IS NOT PREFERED WEN YOU HAVE A BETTER OPTION LIKE {WAS SO EXPENSIVE}
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 196 [0]
Given Kudos: 197
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V34
GPA: 3.8
WE:Operations (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
D and E have illogical meaning issues.

A,B are too wordy and convoluted. The principle of logical construction and concision is satisfied by choice C.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
This one is definitely a bit unique. Looks like we will have to take a number of concepts into account.

Looking at A, I cannot see any real errors but I do see an inappropriate phrase. ‘expensive to such a degree’ is really wordy and could easily be replaced with ‘so expensive’. It is a pretty bad choice for the GMAT. D is also kind of awkward and, more concretely, its missing a comma. E is the most awkward of all. ‘it’ is redundant, since it refers to ‘the test’. I was a little stuck between B and C but I think I get it now. B is unidiomatic. The correct form is ‘so_ that _’.

Thus, C is the correct answer.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [1]
Given Kudos: 111
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
GMAT 1: 600 Q49 V23
GMAT 2: 650 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.36
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
Experts please help.
this questions looks weird.
how to tackle such problems.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [1]
Given Kudos: 201
Send PM
Kudos
what kind of dumb question is this? think i need a brain transplant now
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 122 [1]
Given Kudos: 152
Schools: Darden '21
Send PM
Kudos
Please could experts provide valid explanation on this question please.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 122 [0]
Given Kudos: 152
Schools: Darden '21
Send PM
GMATNinja, VeritasKarishma, mikemcgarry please could you provide a clear explanation for this problem please.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 66912 [1]
Given Kudos: 436
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
reynaldreni wrote:
GMATNinja, VeritasKarishma, mikemcgarry please could you provide a clear explanation for this problem please.

This is not a GMAT like question. It simply tests the use of idioms.

The correct usage:
... so easy that ...
easy enough ... to
so expensive that ...
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1758 [1]
Given Kudos: 67
Concentration: Finance, Human Resources
Schools: ISB '18 (D)
GPA: 3.97
WE:Project Management (Investment Banking)
Send PM