Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 07:12 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 07:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 96 [0]
Given Kudos: 474
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Re: The thirteen original British colonies in North America, some formed [#permalink]
GMATNinja wrote:
kshitijgarg wrote:
Hi GMATNinja
what's "its(in the non underlined portion)" is referring to ?

Thanks a lot for your help.
Regards,
Kshitij

Take another look at (A):

"The thirteen original British colonies in North America, some formed as commercial ventures, others as religious havens, each had a written charter that set forth its form of government..."

We know that "its" must have a singular antecedent, so now we want to scan backwards until we encounter a singular that noun could function logically in place of "its." The first noun we see is "charter," but it wouldn't make any sense to refer to the charter's form for government. A charter can describe a form of government, but it doesn't have one itself. The next singular noun is "each," referring to one of the 13 colonies. Perfectly logical to refer to "each colony's form of government," so we've got our antecedent. Huzzah!

Takeaways: first, we never want to eliminate an answer choice prematurely because of an ambiguous pronoun. (More on that in this video.) Moreover, "its" isn't underlined, so even if we think there's a problem with the construction, we don't have the option of fixing it! Better to focus on the concrete errors we can actually address.

I hope that helps!

Thanks a lot GMATNinja for replying to my post.

i have one more doubt is this sentence. i thought about this question in the following manner :
each had a written charter that set forth its form of government..."
Now here if "That" refers to the "Charter", the how can the verb "set" be right(shouldn't it be "charter that sets forth its "). so i saw the "that set" in the non underlined portion and i thought it has to be "charters"
and in the 3 option that has charters i couldn't find the antecedent for it's in those options.

please point out what is That (following the charter) is referring to? and if that is pointing to charter then how can "that set" be correct?

Thanks a lot for your help.
I have been following your videos (all 3 series on gmatclub) and they are awesome.

Regards,
Kshitij
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 559 [0]
Given Kudos: 248
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33 (Online)
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V37
Send PM
Re: The thirteen original British colonies in North America, some formed [#permalink]
GMATNinja EducationAisle isn't there an SV error in this sentence? what role is "the thirteen original British colonies in North America" playing in the sentence??

The thirteen original British colonies in North America,(Subject??)
some formed as commercial ventures, others as religious havens, (additional information on British Colonies)
each (Subject)
had a written charter (Verb)
that set forth (relative clause modifying "charter")
its form of government (it's - refers to "each") (element 1 of parallelism)
and (parallelism marker)
the rights of the colonists. (element 2 of parallelism)

If I say

E.g "Dave and his friends, who are 20 years old, each has a drivers license" -- doesn't "Dave and his friends" need a verb?
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hoozan wrote:
E.g "Dave and his friends, who are 20 years old, each has a drivers license" -- doesn't "Dave and his friends" need a verb?

Believe the verb should be have (and not has) because of the plural "Dave and his friends".
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 559 [0]
Given Kudos: 248
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33 (Online)
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V37
Send PM
EducationAisle wrote:
Hoozan wrote:

Believe the verb should be have (and not has) because of the plural "Dave and his friends".

I know that "have" should go for the subject mentioned above. My doubt was shouldn't we need a verb in the first place? In this example as well as the official question above both need a verb right? If YES then why doesn't "British colonies" have a verb? Please could you go through the sentence structure that I detailed out above.

Based on my analysis, there is an SV error in the OA. Where am I going wrong?
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hoozan wrote:
So one question EducationAisle. In the above official question, the main subject is The thirteen original British colonies in North America and this one is a plural subject right?

This is correct information Hoozan!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 110
Send PM
Can someone please explain the construction:

The thirteen original British colonies in North America, some formed as commercial ventures, others as religious havens, each had a written charter that set forth its form of government and the rights of the colonists.

I thought that this is a double modifier: <some....> and <others...> just separated by a comma. Hence, I went for option E.
Can someone please explain this construction?
EducationAisle :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 101
Send PM
EducationAisle

when we use 'each' in the example below, should not the verb be singular 'has' ?

EducationAisle wrote:
Hoozan wrote:

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
GMAT 1: 630 Q45 V31
Send PM
The thirteen original British colonies in North America, some formed [#permalink]
The thirteen original British colonies in North America, some formed as commercial ventures, others as religious havens, each had a written charter that set forth its form of government and the rights of the colonists.

Subject - The thirteen original British colonies in North America
Modifier of the subject - some formed as commercial ventures, others as religious havens
Verb - Had ( each is used after the subject and hence the subject is stated above and plural verb should be used)
that set forth - here that refers to each ?? and hence pronoun "its"

Is my analysis correct?

Why is E option wrong? What is the usage of with and while in E option that makes it wrong?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 165 [0]
Given Kudos: 75
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GPA: 4
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
The thirteen original British colonies in North America, some formed [#permalink]
mrsmarthi wrote:

(A) some formed as commercial ventures, others as religious havens, each had a written charter

(B) some being formed as a commercial ventures, others as religious havens, all of which had written charters

(C) some that as commercial ventures, others as religious havens, all had written charters

(D) with some being formed as a commercial venture, others as religious havens, all had written charters

(E) with some formed as commercial ventures, while others as religious havens, each had a written charter

13 colonies = plural subject
SOME = means more than one so commercial ventures must be plural.
We eliminate option B and D

ITS form of government = singular pronoun = subject must be singular = therefore each should be used
We eliminate C

Last two choices, A and E
Structure issue in E = with some formed, while others = Contrast not required. We just need to divide the 13 colonies in two sub-groups straightforward without any preposition (with) or Subordinating conjuction (while).
We eliminate E

A is straightforward and conveys clearly that 13 colonies are divided into two groups. Some as CVs and others as RHs.

Therefore, option A is the correct answer.

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts