Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 16:37 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 16:37

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619240 [13]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1344 [3]
Given Kudos: 607
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [4]
Given Kudos: 191
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GPA: 4
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [2]
Given Kudos: 23
GPA: 4
Send PM
Re: The widespread staff reductions in a certain region’s economy are said [#permalink]
Kudos
anshulvnd5 wrote:
Can anyone please explain why not Option B

Posted from my mobile device

I think this may help.

Conclusion: people who are employed have not decreased their spending because their savings isn't increasing- actual spending is undiminished. Author must think that there are no other extra expenses that the people who are employed must spend despite their efforts of decreasing spending.

(B) People in the region who continue to be employed and who have relatives who have lost their jobs commonly assist those relatives financially.

If people who are employed assist their relatives, then conclusion falls apart. Author's conclusion is that their actual spending is undiminished, but this choice says that there is a different reason that people are spending on. So actual spending could be undiminished and the remaining amount, they are spending on their families.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Re: The widespread staff reductions in a certain region’s economy are said [#permalink]
Kudos
sushmitha2 wrote:
anshulvnd5 wrote:

I think this may help.

Conclusion: people who are employed have not decreased their spending because their savings isn't increasing- actual spending is undiminished. Author must think that there are no other extra expenses that the people who are employed must spend despite their efforts of decreasing spending.

(B) People in the region who continue to be employed and who have relatives who have lost their jobs commonly assist those relatives financially.

If people who are employed assist their relatives, then conclusion falls apart. Author's conclusion is that their actual spending is undiminished, but this choice says that there is a different reason that people are spending on. So actual spending could be undiminished and the remaining amount, they are spending on their families.

How do you know debt repayment as mentioned in the option A is their actual spending??
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
The question is about assumption. Option A talks about debt. The main argument does not even contain any such information. Option A qualifies for a strengthening answer, but not assumption.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7629 [2]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Parikshit07 wrote:
Hi Bunuel,

Can you help me understand option A, and how it is correct?

Thanks,
Parikshit

Hi Parikshit

Let me try to answer your query. Analyzing the stimulus, we find:

Conclusion: Actual spending by such people (people who still have their jobs) is undiminished.

Premise on which it is based (why): There has been no unusual increase in the amount of money held by those people in savings accounts.

Clearly this is assuming the following: Income = New purchases + Money in savings accounts. Since the income (as they continue to have jobs) and money in savings account has remained constant, the conclusion is drawn that new purchases have also not reduced. The underlying assumption here is that there is no third avenue for people to spend their income.

With this, let us analyze the options:

(A) If people in the region who continue to be employed have debts, they are not now paying them off at an accelerated rate. Correct. This states that a third avenue is not being used to spend their income.

(B) People in the region who continue to be employed and who have relatives who have lost their jobs commonly assist those relatives financially. This states that there is a third, new, expense head for those who continue to have jobs. This, therefore, weakens the conclusion and cannot be an assumption on which it is based. Eliminate.

(C) If people in the region who have lost jobs get new jobs, the new jobs generally pay less well than the ones they lost. Irrelevant. Does not address expenses of those who continue to have jobs. Eliminate.

(D) People in the region who continue to be employed are pessimistic about their prospects for increasing their incomes. Irrelevant. Does not address expenses of those who continue to have jobs. Eliminate.

(E) There exist no statistics about sales of goods in the region as a whole. If this were true, it would be impossible to draw conclusions about spending patterns of the population, and hence acts as a weakener. This, therefore, weakens the conclusion and cannot be an assumption on which it is based. Eliminate.

Hope this helps.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 269 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
GMAT 1: 580 Q42 V27
Send PM
Ans: A

If people in the region who continue to be employed have debts, they are not now paying them off at an accelerated rate.

a)If we negate this statement, then the argument falls apart. Author thinks that saving unchanged--> no change in spending

But one can spend less in cloths,grocery and spend more money on paying their debts.

negated statement: If people in the region who continue to be employed have debts, they are now paying them off at an accelerated rate

this implies that, they are spending less and pays off their debts. So, as the conclusion says spending unchanged...is not true anymore.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 88
Send PM

Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 335
Schools: NUS (A) NTU (A$)
GMAT 1: 590 Q47 V23
GMAT 2: 600 Q49 V22
GMAT 3: 700 Q49 V37 (Online)
Send PM
Hi Bunuel,

Can you help me understand option A, and how it is correct?

Thanks,
Parikshit
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Author's Conclusion: Spending is undiminished even though job loss is on the cards.
He is guaging this from balance in the savings account that it's not increased.

Assumption: Something that says there is no possibility other than regular spending that may have resulted in no increase in the balance of the savings'.
Option A: .......not paying the debts......
Author is assuming, that he's paying no debt ( this is used as an example of something other than actual spending) but only regular spends are happening.
It's a bit tricky.....

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 76 [0]
Given Kudos: 406
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
GPA: 3.36
Send PM
Basically the assumption is that there is no third pot where the money is going - it's either the savings account or the purchase of goods. Option (A) points out that assumption indirectly.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts