GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Aug 2018, 11:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

There are 10 people in a room. If each person shakes hands with exactl

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
There are 10 people in a room. If each person shakes hands with exactl  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2010, 19:05
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

46% (01:18) correct 54% (01:00) wrong based on 197 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

There are 10 people in a room. If each person shakes hands with exactly 3 other people, what is the total number of handshakes?

I'm the Dumbest of All !!

Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
P
Re: There are 10 people in a room. If each person shakes hands with exactl  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2010, 21:33
shrive555 wrote:
There are 10 people in a room. If each person shakes hands with exactly 3 other people, what is the total number of handshakes?

Consider one hand that gets shaken as one event. One person shakes his hand with three other people so 3 events take place per person. In all 10*3 = 30 events take place. But two hands make one handshake. So 30 of these events will make 15 handshakes.

Question: Substitute 5 in place of 10. What do you get? Why?

Karishma

Save up to $1,000 on GMAT prep through 8/20! Learn more here >

GMAT self-study has never been more personalized or more fun. Try ORION Free!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Re: There are 10 people in a room. If each person shakes hands with exactl  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Nov 2010, 10:13
why do we have to divide 30 by 2...
substituting 5 with 10, i would get 5 which is half of 10.

I'm the Dumbest of All !!

Manager
Manager
Schools: University of Economics Prague
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 26 Nov 2010, 12:57
Hello Karishma

Can you please explain further?
I think I don't quite understand it.

Is is so, that when you want to shake hand with 3 people, the number of persons in the group has to be even and equal or greater than 4?

Thanks

VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
shrive555 wrote:

Consider one hand that gets shaken as one event. One person shakes his hand with three other people so 3 events take place per person. In all 10*3 = 30 events take place. But two hands make one handshake. So 30 of these events will make 15 handshakes.

You want somethin', go get it. Period!

P

Show Tags

New post 26 Nov 2010, 15:47
shrive555 wrote:
why do we have to divide 30 by 2...
substituting 5 with 10, i would get 5 which is half of 10.

Consider you and I shake hands. When I count 30, I have counted it twice. Once for you, and once for me. But it is actually just one handshake. Each one of those 30 events was one hand that was shaken. Two of those events make one handshake so we divide by 2.

Karishma

P

Show Tags

New post 26 Nov 2010, 16:07
craky wrote:
Hello Karishma

Is is so, that when you want to shake hand with 3 people, the number of persons in the group has to be even and equal or greater than 4?

Thanks

shrive555 wrote:

Ok Look.

4 people: shrive555, craky, karishma and Mr X
We have to shake hands in this group such that each person shakes hands with 3 people.

So shrive555 starts:
shrive555 - craky : 1 handshake but 2 hands were shaken. shrive555's and craky's
shrive555 - karishma : 1 handshake but 2 hands were shaken. shrive555's and karishma's
shrive555 - Mr X : 1 handshake but 2 hands were shaken. shrive555's and Mr X's

Now shrive555 has shaken hands with 3 people. There were 3 handshakes. But 6 hands were shaken.
Now, when all 4 of us shake hands with 3 people, each person's hand will be shaken 3 times. i.e. in all 12 hands will be shaken. But they will add up to only 6 handshakes.
The other 3 handshakes will be:
craky - karishma
craky - Mr X
karishma - Mr X
So all of us have shaken hands with exactly 3 people.

Similarly when there are 10 people, each person shakes his hand 3 times. So in all 30. But 2 of these hands combined to make one handshake. So we will get only 15 total handshakes.

Now when there are 5 people and each person has to shake hands with exactly 3 people, each person will shake his hand 3 times. We will have total 15 hands that will be shaken. So how many handshakes does it make? 7.5? That is not possible. This is because it is not possible for 5 people to shake hands such that each person will shake hands with exactly 3 people. Can you think of the condition which must be satisfied such that it is possible that each person shakes hands with exactly 3 people? (craky, you are there. Just think some more to be clear.)

Karishma

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 19 Mar 2016, 15:08
shrive555 wrote:

[/quote]

Ok Look.

4 people: shrive555, craky, karishma and Mr X
We have to shake hands in this group such that each person shakes hands with 3 people.

So shrive555 starts:
shrive555 - craky : 1 handshake but 2 hands were shaken. shrive555's and craky's
shrive555 - karishma : 1 handshake but 2 hands were shaken. shrive555's and karishma's
shrive555 - Mr X : 1 handshake but 2 hands were shaken. shrive555's and Mr X's

Now shrive555 has shaken hands with 3 people. There were 3 handshakes. But 6 hands were shaken.
Now, when all 4 of us shake hands with 3 people, each person's hand will be shaken 3 times. i.e. in all 12 hands will be shaken. But they will add up to only 6 handshakes.
The other 3 handshakes will be:
craky - karishma
craky - Mr X
karishma - Mr X
So all of us have shaken hands with exactly 3 people.

Similarly when there are 10 people, each person shakes his hand 3 times. So in all 30. But 2 of these hands combined to make one handshake. So we will get only 15 total handshakes.

Now when there are 5 people and each person has to shake hands with exactly 3 people, each person will shake his hand 3 times. We will have total 15 hands that will be shaken. So how many handshakes does it make? 7.5? That is not possible. This is because it is not possible for 5 people to shake hands such that each person will shake hands with exactly 3 people. Can you think of the condition which must be satisfied such that it is possible that each person shakes hands with exactly 3 people? (craky, you are there. Just think some more to be clear.)[/quote]

Hi Karishma,

Take this forward for 10 individuals we have the following scenario:

1 & 2, - 1st unique handshake
1 & 3, - 2nd unique handshake
1 & 4, - 3rd unique handshake
2 & 1,
2 & 3, - 4th unique handshake
2 & 4, - 5th unique handshake
3 & 1,
3 & 2,
3 & 4, - 6th unique handshake

Case for individual number 5, 6, 7 and 8 will also make 6 unique handshakes. So in all 12 upto now.

For individual number 9 and 10.

9 & 10 - 11th unique handshake
10 & 9

Now, individuals numbered 9 and 10 don't even end up meeting the condition of "exactly 3 handshakes".

I selected 15, as it was the closest (to 11 unique handshakes) choice. Can you please assist? Thanks.
P

Show Tags

New post 19 Mar 2016, 20:36
Meetup wrote:

Hi Karishma,

Take this forward for 10 individuals we have the following scenario:

1 & 2, - 1st unique handshake
1 & 3, - 2nd unique handshake
1 & 4, - 3rd unique handshake
2 & 1,
2 & 3, - 4th unique handshake
2 & 4, - 5th unique handshake
3 & 1,
3 & 2,
3 & 4, - 6th unique handshake

Case for individual number 5, 6, 7 and 8 will also make 6 unique handshakes. So in all 12 upto now.

For individual number 9 and 10.

9 & 10 - 11th unique handshake
10 & 9

Now, individuals numbered 9 and 10 don't even end up meeting the condition of "exactly 3 handshakes".

I selected 15, as it was the closest (to 11 unique handshakes) choice. Can you please assist? Thanks.

Since it is given that each person does shake hands with exactly 3 people, it will certainly be possible. Here is one such instance:

1&2
3&4
5&6
7&8
9&10
(Each person shakes hands once)

1&3
2&5
4&7
6&9
8&10
(Each person shakes hand with another person)

1&5
2&9
3&7
4&10
6&8
(Each person shakes hands with yet another person)

Karishma

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 24 Apr 2017, 05:12
Hello Karishma!

Quote:

Let's say we have 5 people in the room: A, B, C, D, E.
And there are handshakes:
A: B, C, D
B: C, D, E
C: D, E
D: E
So, there are will be 3+3+2+1=9 handshakes in total. Is that correct?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
Schools: Simon '20
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GPA: 3
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 12 Jun 2017, 11:58
shrive555 wrote:

Can you please suggest more questions like this one to practice?
I struggled with this one really..my approach was different for solving this. Your approach is really creative, and without having solved something of this sort before or read about the method you used, I wouldn't have been able to do this question. Please also suggest something to read.
Thank you so much :)

Spread some love..Like = +1 Kudos :)

Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 12 Jun 2017, 13:36
ShashankDave wrote:
shrive555 wrote:

Can you please suggest more questions like this one to practice?
I struggled with this one really..my approach was different for solving this. Your approach is really creative, and without having solved something of this sort before or read about the method you used, I wouldn't have been able to do this question. Please also suggest something to read.
Thank you so much :)

http://gmatclub.com/forum/how-many-diag ... 01540.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/if-10-persons ... 10622.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/10-business-e ... 26163.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/how-many-diff ... 29992.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/15-chess-play ... 55939.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/there-are-5-c ... 27235.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/if-each-parti ... 42222.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/there-are-8-t ... 34582.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/there-are-8-t ... 32366.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/in-a-kickball ... 61846.html
https://gmatclub.com/forum/if-11-person ... 89706.html
https://gmatclub.com/forum/6-people-mee ... 18398.html
https://gmatclub.com/forum/there-are-10 ... 05386.html
https://gmatclub.com/forum/there-are-in ... 07442.html
https://gmatclub.com/forum/during-a-sea ... 59677.html
https://gmatclub.com/forum/six-three-re ... 31082.html

Hope it helps.

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

VP
VP
P
There are 10 people in a room. If each person shakes hands with exactl  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jun 2017, 18:55
shrive555 wrote:

if each of the 10 had shaken hands once with 9 others,
there would have been 10*9/2, or 45 total handshakes,
but, because only one third (3 out of 9) of possible handshakes take place,
there are only one third (15 out of 45) total handshakes
A
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GPA: 2.8
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 13 Jun 2017, 00:12
craky wrote:
Hello Karishma

Thanks

shrive555 wrote:

If all 5 people shook hands with the other 4 - a total of 10 handshakes would have taken place (5*4/2).
now for each to shake exactly three hands- there would be a total of 9 or more handshakes- as either one would shake with only two or one would shake with four. please explain
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 11 Feb 2018, 13:45
Hi All,

Since the answer choices are so "spread out", there's an interesting way to get to the correct answer by avoiding complex math and using "brute force" and a comparison:

We're told that there are 10 people in the room and that each person shakes hands with 3 other people.

Let's say there were 4 people, who we'll call A, B, C and D.

The handshakes would be:
AB
AC
AD
BC
BD
CD

In this situation, each person shook hands with 3 people and there was a total of 6 handshakes.

If we TRIPLED the number of people, then we'd have 12 people, and we'd have TRIPLE the handshakes: 6 x 3 = 18.

Since we have FEWER than 12 people, we'll have FEWER than 18 handshakes. There's only one answer that fits:

Final Answer:

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

CEO
CEO
D

Show Tags

New post 22 Apr 2018, 06:35
Top Contributor
shrive555 wrote:

A) 15
B) 30
C) 45
D) 60
E) 120

Here's an approach that doesn't require any counting techniques:

Each person shakes hands with exactly 3 other people
So, we have 10 people and each experiences 3 handshakes for a TOTAL of 30 handshakes.

IMPORTANT: at this point, we need to recognize that every handshake has been counted TWICE. For example, if Person A and Person B shake hands, then Person A counts it as a handshake, AND Person B also counts it as a handshake. Of course only one handshake occurred.

To account for the DUPLICATION, we'll divide 30 by 2 to get 15

Answer: A

Cheers,
Brent

Brent Hanneson – Founder of gmatprepnow.com

Re: There are 10 people in a room. If each person shakes hands with exactl &nbs [#permalink] 22 Apr 2018, 06:35

There are 10 people in a room. If each person shakes hands with exactl

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap