Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 02:10 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 02:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38831 [16]
Given Kudos: 220
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GPA: 2.81
WE:Business Development (Real Estate)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 252 [4]
Given Kudos: 3989
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 857 [1]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 86 [0]
Given Kudos: 362
Send PM
Re: Three men and 2 women will present 5 consecutive speeches, 1 by each p [#permalink]
so basically we have 5 seats and 5 People to sit , we can have 5! ways.= 120
lets check scenarios when no men together MWMWM ONLY POSSIBLE WAY. Men can arrange them selves in 3! and women can 2!
3*2*2/120 = 1/10
1-1/10= 9/10
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
GPA: 3
WE:Sales (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Re: Three men and 2 women will present 5 consecutive speeches, 1 by each p [#permalink]
What I did was focused on the probability of non event and then subtracted this probability from 1

Say we have M1 M2 M3 W1 & W2 (total 5 persons- 3 men and 2 women)

A)Favorable event= Men give speeches consecutively
B)Non favorable event= Men do not give speeches consecutively

We try to get Probability for B)

The only type of arrangement that Men do not deliver their speeches consecutively would be as below

M W M W M

No. of ways to arrange men above would be 3! (since we have m1 m2 and m3)
No of ways to arrange women above would be 2! (since we have w1 and w2)

So total ways 3! X 2! = 12

Total no. of ways in which all five people can give speeches is 5! = 120

So Probability of B is 12/120= 1/10

Hence Probability of A is 1- 1/10= 9/10

Answer is hence B

KDM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 118 [0]
Given Kudos: 167
Schools: Yale '18
GMAT 1: 650 Q43 V37
GRE 1: Q157 V158
GPA: 2.66
Send PM
AbdurRakib wrote:
Three men and 2 women will present 5 consecutive speeches,1 by each person, at a conference. If the order of the speakers is determined randomly, what is the probability that at least 2 of the men’s speeches will be consecutive?

A. \(\frac{3124}{3125}\)
B. \(\frac{9}{10}\)
C. \(\frac{4}{5}\)
D. \(\frac{16}{25}\)
E. \(\frac{1}{2}\)

The key word in this problem is at least - the complement rule should always register in one's mind upon seeing this term- for the sake of saving time and mastery of the concept

1- P (event not occuring) = probability the event actually does occur

1- 2c2 / 5c2 = 9/10
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 118 [0]
Given Kudos: 167
Schools: Yale '18
GMAT 1: 650 Q43 V37
GRE 1: Q157 V158
GPA: 2.66
Send PM
varundixitmro2512 wrote:
The total no of ways we can arrange 3 men and 2 women(MMMWW) is 5!/3!2!=10 as we have 3 males and 2 women.

Now there is only 1 way when two men cant be consecutive i.e. MWMWM

Therefore the prob atleast 2 men will be consecutive will be 9/10.

Though I marked the wrong answer, but after some thinking I got with the explanation.

Yes this is another plausible method w/r/t a fundamental statistical formula - # desired outcome(s)/ # total outcome (s)

We must first calculate the probability of an arrangement in which none of the boys appear consecutively or more accurately the number of arrangements in which boys do not appear consecutively over the total number of arrangements possible

Total number of arrangement possible= 5! because there are 5 elements and 5 slots

Now, the number of arrangement in which boys do not appear consecutively follows the pattern

BGBGB - though this does not actually mean the number of outcomes, or the number of occurrences, in which boys do not appear consecutively is 1 single possibility because all three boys are still distinct entities (e.g if you have three boys fred, bob, and sam then you could have (f)g(b)g(s) or (b)g(s)g(f) - etc) so the actual number of ways we can arrange the three boys with respect to that pattern is 3! More fundamentally, this question is a permutation so like wise... the number of ways we can arrange girls in that pattern is 2! . Hence

1- 3!2!/5!

Hence

9/10
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22055 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
AbdurRakib wrote:
Three men and 2 women will present 5 consecutive speeches,1 by each person, at a conference. If the order of the speakers is determined randomly, what is the probability that at least 2 of the men’s speeches will be consecutive?

A. \(\frac{3124}{3125}\)
B. \(\frac{9}{10}\)
C. \(\frac{4}{5}\)
D. \(\frac{16}{25}\)
E. \(\frac{1}{2}\)

Since there are 5 people, there are 5! = 120 ways the speeches can be presented. The only way the 2 of the men’s speeches will not be consecutive is if the order is (M = a man’s speech and W = a woman’s speech): M-W-M-W-M. The number of ways this can be done is 3 x 2 x 2 x 1 x 1 = 12. So there must be 120 - 12 = 108 ways that at least two of the men’s speeches will be consecutive and thus the probability is 108/120 = 9/10.

Alternate Solution:

Using the formula for permutations with indistinguishable objects, 3 men and 2 women can present speeches in 5!/(3! x 2!) = (5 x 4)/(2 x 1) = 10 ways.

Of these 10 orderings of speeches, only M-W-M-W-M does not meet the requirement of having at least two consecutive talks by men; thus, 10 - 1 = 9 orderings do meet this requirement. Thus, the probability is 9/10.

Answer: B
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 822 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92921 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts