Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 12:23 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 12:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 293 [8]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7776 [1]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: 7776 [1]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 293 [0]
Send PM
Re: To get an administrative system that would do more good than damage, [#permalink]
please explain the correct option and why not a
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 577 [0]
Given Kudos: 198
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 740 Q51 V38
Send PM
Re: To get an administrative system that would do more good than damage, [#permalink]
i suppse C is the answer
Please correct me if i an wrong

past perfect vs present perfect (had vs have)
development of maturity has an impact at present so i will go with present perfect

A and E out

would will not go with needed to be done

hence b and d are out

C is the answer

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 157
GMAT Focus 1:
685 Q90 V82 DI80
Send PM
The sentence is in past tense..because of use of would..
so the past perfect should be correct to show the verb sequencing ...therefore correct answer should be either A or B...out of A and B...A is correct.
Request Expert to reply
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 4690 [0]
Given Kudos: 463
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Shaheensingh17 wrote:
To get an administrative system that would do more good than damage, it would be far better to draw people from fields of life as diverse as possible; and that too, after they had developed the maturity to understand what really needed to be done.

a)after they had developed the maturity to understand what really needed to be done.
b)after they developed the maturity to understand what really needed to be done
c)after they have developed the maturity to understand what really needs to be done
d)after they develop the maturity to understand what really needed to be done
e)after they had developed the maturity to understand what really had needed to be done

Correct answer must be (C) for the highlighted errors in the other options..
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 293 [0]
Send PM
since the sentence is in past so shouldnt it be past perfect hence the choice a .can someone please explain why c
Own Kudos [?]: 7776 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Two big points about this q:

1) It isn't valid. The part after the semicolon is not an independent clause. Even if we change the semicolon to a comma, that part "and that too" doesn't make sense. Beware of questions that come from "Other"! You may be training yourself into some bad English.

2) The sentence is not in the past tense, and not every use of "would" necessitates the past tense. In this case, the fixed part of the sentence says "it would be far better to draw," indicating that we are talking about what would be good to do in the future!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GPA: 3.25
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Can we eliminate choices on the basis of "needs" and "needed"?
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1424 [0]
Given Kudos: 632
Send PM
DmitryFarber wrote:
Two big points about this q:

1) It isn't valid. The part after the semicolon is not an independent clause. Even if we change the semicolon to a comma, that part "and that too" doesn't make sense. Beware of questions that come from "Other"! You may be training yourself into some bad English.

2) The sentence is not in the past tense, and not every use of "would" necessitates the past tense. In this case, the fixed part of the sentence says "it would be far better to draw," indicating that we are talking about what would be good to do in the future!

Hi,
DmitryFarber

Can you please clear some points about how to use semi colon.

1) Independent clause ; independent clause
2) Dependent clause ; independent clause
3)independent clause ; Dependent clause
4) Dependent clause ; independent clause ; dependent clause
5)independent clause; Dependent clause ; independent clause

Which of these are wrong and which are correct?

Thank you.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1424 [0]
Given Kudos: 632
Send PM
DmitryFarber wrote:
stne, the answer is very simple. A semicolon must always separate independent clauses. Basically, you use a semicolon where you would use a period. There's only one special exception to this: a semicolon can also be used to separate complex lists. This is very rare on the GMAT, but you can see an example here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/tropical-bat ... 31457.html (This is also typically the only time you will see more than one semicolon in one sentence.)

So if you're not using a semicolon for that specialized purpose, it should always be between two independent clauses.

So I am assuming a semicolon must be in between 2 independent clauses , having a dependent clause on any side of a semicolon makes the usage of semicolon wrong.

1) Independent clause ; independent clause - Correct usage
2) Dependent clause ; independent clause - Incorrect
3)independent clause ; Dependent clause- Incorrect
4) Dependent clause ; independent clause ; dependent clause - incorrect
5)independent clause; Dependent clause ; independent clause - incorrect.

Are these correct?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [0]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
To get an administrative system that would do more good than damage, it would be far better to draw people from fields of life as diverse as possible; and that too, after they had developed the maturity to understand what really needed to be done.

a)after they had developed the maturity to understand what really needed to be done.
b)after they developed the maturity to understand what really needed to be done
c)after they have developed the maturity to understand what really needs to be done
d)after they develop the maturity to understand what really needed to be done
e)after they had developed the maturity to understand what really had needed to be done

I am sorry for this terrible question. Normally we do not start an IC with an 'and'. In addition and annoyingly all the choices are conjugated with a semicolon, meaning that the part after the semicolon is an IC, but per se it is not. The use of the subordinate conjunction 'after' renders the entire part a dependent clause and hence a fragment in effect
What can we learn from a question that has all the five choices as fragments?
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts