Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 16:54 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 16:54

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619243 [28]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619243 [3]
Send PM
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [3]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [1]
Schools:
Send PM
Re: V05-17 [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
siddharthharsh wrote:
Completely baffled by this. I think that option E if correct should be exactly opposite of what it is stating. Shouldn't breaking all the 4 big four companies lead to more variety in accounting services, as beautifully explained by ThangLe ? But the option E states that Each of the Big Four firms should not be broken into an audit and a non-audit section. Can someone please clarify this?

Whether the firms would be broken up is not the point - the CEO has already proposed that the firms must be broken up. The question asks to evaluate whether this plan to break up would be successful. The point E discusses about HOW the firms will be broken up - if the breaking happens in the way described in option E, then the plan would NOT be successful. Therefore the breaking up should NOT happen in the way described in E.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 34
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V38
GPA: 3.58
Send PM
Kudos
I think this is a poor-quality question and I don't agree with the explanation. I don't understand how not breaking up the firms would assure the success of the CEO's plan? If the firms don't break then wouldn't they still the same number of choices to choose as previously?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Send PM
Kudos
Bunuel here's why I think E does not satisfy the conditions.

In the current scenario, the Big 4 are: P1, P2, P3 & P4. As "Federal regulations require that corporations use separate accounting firms for audit and non-audit services.", any MNC would have 3 choices for non-audit firm after choosing an audit firm.
Example: MNC chose P1 for audit, then it has 3 options ie. P2, P3 & P4 to choose from.

After breaking up, exactly according to what your option mentions, the MNC would have 4 non-audit firms (P1b, P2b, P3b, & P4b) to choose from.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 311
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
Send PM
Completely baffled by this. I think that option E if correct should be exactly opposite of what it is stating. Shouldn't breaking all the 4 big four companies lead to more variety in accounting services, as beautifully explained by ThangLe ? But the option E states that Each of the Big Four firms should not be broken into an audit and a non-audit section. Can someone please clarify this?
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [0]
Schools:
Send PM
V05-17 [#permalink]
Expert Reply
aggt wrote:
I think this is a poor-quality question and I don't agree with the explanation. I don't understand how not breaking up the firms would assure the success of the CEO's plan? If the firms don't break then wouldn't they still the same number of choices to choose as previously?

Firstly, please have a look at the explanation below:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/v05-184888.html#p1416446

Now coming to your query:
Option E states that "the Big Four firms should not be broken into an audit and a non-audit section". As it seems, you have interpreted this sentence as that the Big Four firms should not be broken at all - such is not the implication because the passage already states that "An outspoken group of CEOs has suggested breaking up the "Big Four" firms into smaller operations."

The implication of option E is that the Big Four firms will be broken up into smaller operations, but not into an audit and a non-audit section.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619243 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
The question or/and solution has been revised and edited. Thank you sayantanc2k !!!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 923
Send PM
sayantanc2k wrote:
siddharthharsh wrote:

Whether the firms would be broken up is not the point - the CEO has already proposed that the firms must be broken up. The question asks to evaluate whether this plan to break up would be successful. The point E discusses about HOW the firms will be broken up - if the breaking happens in the way described in option E, then the plan would NOT be successful. Therefore the breaking up should NOT happen in the way described in E.

Hi sayantanc2k,

I feel that had there been "evaluating" instead of "assuring" in the question stem, then ANS E would have been correct.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 228
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Send PM
please explain, how should the firms be broken to have more options for non- audit services?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 85
GMAT 1: 610 Q40 V35
Send PM
I believe the question should have been more clear to state this was an "Assumption" question. Assuring sort of confused me for not the right reasons - I was unable to grasp the essence of the question I took it to be a "reasoning" type question.
I am still not very comfortable with how the stem and the options played out together.

Any help please?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 76
GPA: 4
WE:Operations (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Re V05-17 [#permalink]
I think this is a poor-quality question and I don't agree with the explanation.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 107
Send PM
Can someone specify the source of this question? It doesn't seem like an Official GMAT question.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619243 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
kdi1006 wrote:
Can someone specify the source of this question? It doesn't seem like an Official GMAT question.

All questions in GMAT Club Tests' subfourm are GMAT Club's question.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re V05-17 [#permalink]
I think this is a poor-quality question and I agree with explanation.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 101 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Send PM
aayush7749 wrote:
please explain, how should the firms be broken to have more options for non- audit services?

I think, what it means is to have each Firm be broken into multiple smaller firms comprising specific operations.
Putting it with numbers:

Assume, Firm 1 has 10 operations. Now you have 2 choices
Choice A: "Firm 1 Audit" and "Firm 1 Non-Audit"
Choice B : Firm1-1, Firm 1-2, Firm1-3...... Firm1-10

Clearly, Option B has more options. If you don't chose option A, you will be choosing option B (or any option which has more than 2 splits)

P.S. I got the answer wrong and think that question is pretty difficult for even 700 level :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
I completely agree with SherlockSHolmes
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Send PM
The point to be noted here is that the keyword is sections. If the same company has two sections it is still a violation vs if the company split into different companies. I think that’s what the option conveyed.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Re V05-17 [#permalink]
I think this is a poor-quality question and the explanation isn't clear enough, please elaborate. I would like to know why the analysis of the argument must apply a negation strategy. because the question type is strengthening, not finding an assumption.
GMAT Club Bot
Re V05-17 [#permalink]
 1   2   
Moderator:
Math Expert
92948 posts