GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Dec 2018, 08:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
2526272829301
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
303112345
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT Prep Hour

     December 16, 2018

     December 16, 2018

     03:00 PM EST

     04:00 PM EST

    Strategies and techniques for approaching featured GMAT topics
  • FREE Quant Workshop by e-GMAT!

     December 16, 2018

     December 16, 2018

     07:00 AM PST

     09:00 AM PST

    Get personalized insights on how to achieve your Target Quant Score.

When a number is divided by a divisor it leaves a remainder

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Current Student
avatar
B
Joined: 22 Jul 2014
Posts: 123
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V34
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
When a number is divided by a divisor it leaves a remainder  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2014, 08:36
15
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  35% (medium)

Question Stats:

74% (01:38) correct 26% (01:59) wrong based on 219 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

When a number is divided by a divisor it leaves a remainder 72. However, when twice the number is divided by the same divisor, the remainder obtained is 46. What is the value of the divisor?

98
99
100
101
102

Source: 4gmat
Tutor
User avatar
Joined: 20 Apr 2012
Posts: 99
Location: Ukraine
GMAT 1: 690 Q51 V31
GMAT 2: 730 Q51 V38
WE: Education (Education)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: When a number is divided by a divisor it leaves a remainder  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2014, 10:02
4
Suppose we have number \(n\) and it is divided by a divisor \(d\) with a quotient \(q\) and remainder 72. Then we have:
\(n=d\cdot q+72\)
Multiply by 2 this equation:
\(2n=d\cdot 2q+ 144\)
When divide \(2n\) by \(d\) again we will have remainder equal to the remainder when 144 is divided by \(d\) since \(d*2q\) is divisible by \(d\).
Therefore d=144-46=98.

The correct answer is A.


Hint: If the divisor doesn't change in the problem, you can work only with remainders.
We have a remainder 72. If we multiply the number by 2, it's remainder will double: 72*2=144
Then d=144-46=98.
_________________

I'm happy, if I make math for you slightly clearer
And yes, I like kudos:)

Manager
Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 18 Jul 2013
Posts: 73
Location: Italy
GMAT 1: 600 Q42 V31
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.75
Re: When a number is divided by a divisor it leaves a remainder  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2014, 10:40
smyarga wrote:
Suppose we have number \(n\) and it is divided by a divisor \(d\) with a quotient \(q\) and remainder 72. Then we have:
\(n=d\cdot q+72\)
Multiply by 2 this equation:
\(2n=d\cdot 2q+ 144\)
When divide \(2n\) by \(d\) again we will have remainder equal to the remainder when 144 is divided by \(d\) since \(d*2q\) is divisible by \(d\).
Therefore d=144-46=98.

The correct answer is A.


Hint: If the divisor doesn't change in the problem, you can work only with remainders.
We have a remainder 72. If we multiply the number by 2, it's remainder will double: 72*2=144
Then d=144-46=98.


I'm sorry smyarga, i don't get the red part. Could you explain please?
Tutor
User avatar
Joined: 20 Apr 2012
Posts: 99
Location: Ukraine
GMAT 1: 690 Q51 V31
GMAT 2: 730 Q51 V38
WE: Education (Education)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: When a number is divided by a divisor it leaves a remainder  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2014, 10:53
1
oss198 wrote:
smyarga wrote:
Suppose we have number \(n\) and it is divided by a divisor \(d\) with a quotient \(q\) and remainder 72. Then we have:
\(n=d\cdot q+72\)
Multiply by 2 this equation:
\(2n=d\cdot 2q+ 144\)
When divide \(2n\) by \(d\) again we will have remainder equal to the remainder when 144 is divided by \(d\) since \(d*2q\) is divisible by \(d\).
Therefore d=144-46=98.

The correct answer is A.


Hint: If the divisor doesn't change in the problem, you can work only with remainders.
We have a remainder 72. If we multiply the number by 2, it's remainder will double: 72*2=144
Then d=144-46=98.


I'm sorry smyarga, i don't get the red part. Could you explain please?


\(2n/d=2q+ 144/d\)

So, the remainder will come only as a remainder of 144 when divided by \(d\).
_________________

I'm happy, if I make math for you slightly clearer
And yes, I like kudos:)

Manager
Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 18 Jul 2013
Posts: 73
Location: Italy
GMAT 1: 600 Q42 V31
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.75
Re: When a number is divided by a divisor it leaves a remainder  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2014, 12:16
smyarga wrote:
oss198 wrote:
smyarga wrote:
Suppose we have number \(n\) and it is divided by a divisor \(d\) with a quotient \(q\) and remainder 72. Then we have:
\(n=d\cdot q+72\)
Multiply by 2 this equation:
\(2n=d\cdot 2q+ 144\)
When divide \(2n\) by \(d\) again we will have remainder equal to the remainder when 144 is divided by \(d\) since \(d*2q\) is divisible by \(d\).
Therefore d=144-46=98.

The correct answer is A.


Hint: If the divisor doesn't change in the problem, you can work only with remainders.
We have a remainder 72. If we multiply the number by 2, it's remainder will double: 72*2=144
Then d=144-46=98.


I'm sorry smyarga, i don't get the red part. Could you explain please?


\(2n/d=2q+ 144/d\)

So, the remainder will come only as a remainder of 144 when divided by \(d\).


Thank you! but how can you then conclude d=144-46=98 ?
Tutor
User avatar
Joined: 20 Apr 2012
Posts: 99
Location: Ukraine
GMAT 1: 690 Q51 V31
GMAT 2: 730 Q51 V38
WE: Education (Education)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: When a number is divided by a divisor it leaves a remainder  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2014, 12:29
3
1
oss198 wrote:

Thank you! but how can you then conclude d=144-46=98 ?


We know that 144 when divided by \(d\) has a remainder 46. Hence, \(144=d*a+46\), where \(a\) is quotient.

So, \(d*a=144-46=98\). Divisor \(d\) must be a factor of 98, and must be greater than 72, because divisor is always greater than a remainder. The only one possible such value is 98.

Sorry, for not enough detailed explanation:(
_________________

I'm happy, if I make math for you slightly clearer
And yes, I like kudos:)

Manager
Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 18 Jul 2013
Posts: 73
Location: Italy
GMAT 1: 600 Q42 V31
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.75
Re: When a number is divided by a divisor it leaves a remainder  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2014, 13:05
1
smyarga wrote:
oss198 wrote:

Thank you! but how can you then conclude d=144-46=98 ?


We know that 144 when divided by \(d\) has a remainder 46. Hence, \(144=d*a+46\), where \(a\) is quotient.

So, \(d*a=144-46=98\). Divisor \(d\) must be a factor of 98, and must be greater than 72, because divisor is always greater than a remainder. The only one possible such value is 98.

Sorry, for not enough detailed explanation:(


Thank you very much ! (-:
it was not a bad explanation, I only have a big weakness with remainders..
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 11 Jun 2014
Posts: 54
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V45
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Re: When a number is divided by a divisor it leaves a remainder  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2014, 21:23
1
Its as simple as multiply 72*2 and then subtract 46 = 98.

Here is why.. The original number is 72 more than a multiple of the divisor. when the number is multiplied by 2, the resulting number is 144 more than a multiple of the divisor. But its given that its also 46 more than the multiple of the divisor. SO we do 144-46 = 98.

Option 1
Current Student
avatar
B
Joined: 22 Jul 2014
Posts: 123
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V34
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: When a number is divided by a divisor it leaves a remainder  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2014, 22:08
smyarga wrote:
oss198 wrote:

Thank you! but how can you then conclude d=144-46=98 ?


We know that 144 when divided by \(d\) has a remainder 46. Hence, \(144=d*a+46\), where \(a\) is quotient.

So, \(d*a=144-46=98\). Divisor \(d\) must be a factor of 98, and must be greater than 72, because divisor is always greater than a remainder. The only one possible such value is 98.

Sorry, for not enough detailed explanation:(


---------------------------------


Hi sorry, even I am pretty weak with remainders..
Sorry to ask a silly question..

But you said, 98 is a factor of 'd' , the divisor.

How is it so?
Manager
Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 18 Jul 2013
Posts: 73
Location: Italy
GMAT 1: 600 Q42 V31
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.75
Re: When a number is divided by a divisor it leaves a remainder  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2014, 23:07
1
alphonsa wrote:
smyarga wrote:
oss198 wrote:

Thank you! but how can you then conclude d=144-46=98 ?


We know that 144 when divided by \(d\) has a remainder 46. Hence, \(144=d*a+46\), where \(a\) is quotient.

So, \(d*a=144-46=98\). Divisor \(d\) must be a factor of 98, and must be greater than 72, because divisor is always greater than a remainder. The only one possible such value is 98.

Sorry, for not enough detailed explanation:(


---------------------------------


Hi sorry, even I am pretty weak with remainders..
Sorry to ask a silly question..

But you said, 98 is a factor of 'd' , the divisor.

How is it so?


hi Alphonsa,

\(d*a=144-46=98\) so \(d*a=98\). That means that d is a factor of 98. It also means that 98 is a multiple of d.
Current Student
avatar
B
Joined: 22 Jul 2014
Posts: 123
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V34
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: When a number is divided by a divisor it leaves a remainder  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2014, 23:34
Hi sorry, even I am pretty weak with remainders..
Sorry to ask a silly question..

But you said, 98 is a factor of 'd' , the divisor.

How is it so?[/quote]

hi Alphonsa,

\(d*a=144-46=98\) so \(d*a=98\). That means that d is a factor of 98. It also means that 98 is a multiple of d.[/quote]

-----------


Terribly sorry, for the foolish questions I may be raising :(
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Status: The Best Or Nothing
Joined: 27 Dec 2012
Posts: 1825
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Technology
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Re: When a number is divided by a divisor it leaves a remainder  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2014, 00:13
1
alphonsa wrote:
When a number is divided by a divisor it leaves a remainder 72. However, when twice the number is divided by the same divisor, the remainder obtained is 46. What is the value of the divisor?

98
99
100
101
102
Source: 4gmat


Remainder = 72 for "x"

As x doubles to 2x, remainder also doubles = 72*2 = 144

Quotient = 144 - 46 = 98

Answer = A
_________________

Kindly press "+1 Kudos" to appreciate :)

VP
VP
avatar
P
Joined: 07 Dec 2014
Posts: 1129
When a number is divided by a divisor it leaves a remainder  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2018, 17:48
alphonsa wrote:
When a number is divided by a divisor it leaves a remainder 72. However, when twice the number is divided by the same divisor, the remainder obtained is 46. What is the value of the divisor?

98
99
100
101
102

Source: 4gmat


because answers are so close,
say divisor, d≈100
then number, n≈100+72≈172
and 2n≈344
thus, ratio of n/d quotient to 2n/d quotient=1:3
and 3[(n-72)/d]=(2n-46)/d→
n=170
170-72=98=d
confirming, 2*170-46=3*98
A
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 29 May 2017
Posts: 128
Location: Pakistan
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Sustainability
Re: When a number is divided by a divisor it leaves a remainder  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2018, 02:43
Here is how i did it:

n = dq + 72 --> 72, d+72, 2d+72 and so on
2n=dk + 46 --> 46, d+46, 2d+46 and so on
this means:

dq + 72 = (dk + 46)/2 for some integer q and k --- (1)
49 = d(k/2 - q)

now, (k/2 -q) has to be an integer, which means d is a multiple of 49 and the only multiple of 49 is 98
Eqn (1) comes from:
n=dk + r
n=Dq + r1

then for some integers k,q and where d, D are different divisors

dk+r=Dq + r1

look up Bunuel Remainder notes
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 25 Mar 2018
Posts: 13
Location: India
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
Schools: ISB '20
WE: Analyst (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: When a number is divided by a divisor it leaves a remainder  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2018, 02:54
alphonsa wrote:
When a number is divided by a divisor it leaves a remainder 72. However, when twice the number is divided by the same divisor, the remainder obtained is 46. What is the value of the divisor?

98
99
100
101
102

Source: 4gmat


Dont know why this question has this much explanation thread. Its simple but.

lets say number = x and divisor is y, So x = yK + 72 . K is some constant. They said that x is doubled , remainder becomes 46, 2x = 2yK + 144, remainder here if divided with y will be 144 or 144 - y . since remainder is 46 , 144- y = 46 and y = 98.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: When a number is divided by a divisor it leaves a remainder &nbs [#permalink] 01 Dec 2018, 02:54
Display posts from previous: Sort by

When a number is divided by a divisor it leaves a remainder

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.