Last visit was: 07 May 2024, 10:36 It is currently 07 May 2024, 10:36

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 90 [31]
Given Kudos: 52
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
ESMT Berlin School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 448 [8]
Given Kudos: 104
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 640 Q50 V25
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 90 [7]
Given Kudos: 52
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
Send PM
General Discussion
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 416 [1]
Given Kudos: 778
Send PM
Re: With Saha's unfortunate injury, either Rishab Pant or Dinesh karthik [#permalink]
Kudos
How C can be answer!

First of all, I quickly jumped to E, looking at would in A,B C,D.
Later I found few error in each sentence as mentioned below.

Their in C refers to India..clearly pronoun error.
Same problem with B.

In D, adverb Unfortunately is wrong in sentence context.
In A, use of would.

E seems correct.

Where am I wrong?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [3]
Given Kudos: 20
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V39
WE:General Management (Retail Banking)
Send PM
Re: With Saha's unfortunate injury, either Rishab Pant or Dinesh karthik [#permalink]
Kudos
prashant6923 wrote:
gvij2017 wrote:
How C can be answer!

Same problem with B.

In A, use of would.

E seems correct.

Where am I wrong?

India have won the match

is not a grammatical mistake. We're not talking about the nation, India per se, what we have here is an example of metonymy, when the name of one thing substitutes the thing itself. In this case, India substitutes the (cricket) team representing India.

Posted from my mobile device

So you are saying that India is replacing Indian team. Is Indian team plural or singular?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 327 [1]
Given Kudos: 334
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
WE:Information Technology (Other)
Send PM
With Saha's unfortunate injury, either Rishab Pant or Dinesh karthik [#permalink]
Bookmarks
prashant6923 wrote:
With Saha's unfortunate injury, either Rishab Pant or Dinesh karthik would get a shot at changing the numbers!Can India resolve it's keeper-batsman woes in the upcoming test series

A. With Saha's unfortunate injury, either Rishab Pant or Dinesh karthik would get a shot at changing the numbers!Can India resolve it's keeper-batsman woes in the upcoming test series?

B. With Saha's unfortunately injury, either Rishab Pant or Dinesh karthik would get a shot at changing the numbers!Can India resolve their keeper-batsman woes in the upcoming test series?

C. With Saha's unfortunate injury, either Rishab Pant or Dinesh karthik would get a shot at changing the numbers!Can India resolve their keeper-batsman woes in the upcoming test series?

D. With Saha's unfortunately injury, either Rishab Pant or Dinesh karthik would get a shot at changing the numbers!Can India resolve it's keeper-batsman woes in the upcoming test series?

E. With Saha's unfortunate injury, either Rishab Pant or Dinesh karthik will get a shot to change the numbers!Can India resolve it's keeper-batsman woes in the upcoming test series?

Really, if to understand that "India" means not a coutry, but the sport team of India (as mentioned above), there is no any problem with findig the right answer.
It is C. B is out because of "unfortunately". And all other options use "it's"

About another nuanses.

1. "unfortunately injury" is wrong. "unfortunately" is not an adjective, and we need adjective "unfortunate" to modify noun "injury", so B and D are out.

2. I really do not like the word "will" in option E.
In A, C the word "would" is used and it makes a lot of sense.
These guys (Rishab Pant, Dinesh karthik) could, would get a shot and save the team (lets say so), they have a chances to do it. Maybe some other guys would have a shot too.
But when we say "will" in option E, it sounds very imperative, like no other players have chances. It has to make us suspicious about the correctness of E (many of us have chosen it).

3. And if we analyze 1 and 2 we will see that we are left with A and C. It gives us more chances to understand the issue with "India" maybe.

So, C.

-------
2 aglosh54:
So you are saying that India is replacing Indian team. Is Indian team plural or singular?
--------
"Indian team" is singular of course. But "Indians" is plural.
You can (and you have to) substite "India" with "Indians" here and it will be sematically right.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Send PM
What's the source for this question?
ESMT Berlin School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 448 [1]
Given Kudos: 104
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 640 Q50 V25
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
Send PM
With Saha's unfortunate injury, either Rishab Pant or Dinesh karthik [#permalink]
Kudos
aghosh54 wrote:
prashant6923 wrote:
gvij2017 wrote:
How C can be answer!

Same problem with B.

In A, use of would.

E seems correct.

Where am I wrong?

India have won the match

is not a grammatical mistake. We're not talking about the nation, India per se, what we have here is an example of metonymy, when the name of one thing substitutes the thing itself. In this case, India substitutes the (cricket) team representing India.

Posted from my mobile device

I hope this will suffice!
https://gmatclub.com/forum/with-saha-s-unfortunate-injury-either-rishab-pant-or-dinesh-karthik-271468.html#p2103011

To answer this: So you are saying that India is replacing Indian team. Is Indian team plural or singular?
It's a rhetorical aspect of how India is replacing the Indian Team which is purely contextual!

Below discussions will aid in deeper understanding:

Therefore, always look for other deciding points!
The rhetorical aspect should be the last defining point in a SC question.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Given Kudos: 145
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V29
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.33
Send PM
A,D,E can be eliminated for the use of it's. It's is the same as it+is. We need a possessive form of pronoun here. B vs C - don't choose B as use of unfortunately is wrong. Use of their in C is not incorrect because India can be taken to be either singular or plural based on context. Indian team - singular ; India - as an entity of billion plus people is plural. Option C it is !
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 284 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
Hello..

Let me give you my two cents for this question.

In all probability, I don't think this is an official GMAT question. I maybe completely wrong - but would love to see if someone can really confirm the source of the question. There are two reasons why I think so;

1. A GMAT official question about Indian cricket team and that too with the names Rishab Pant and Dinesh Karthik seems very made up. This is because GMAT questions are usually about historical events that are published in a standard piece of text either in it's physical form or electronic form.

2. The use of the exclamation mark and a question mark is another factor. As far as my experience with GMAT goes, GMAC would have preferred to use a colon or a semi-colon and would have also made the second part an affirmative statement.

Nevertheless, the question can still be solved and I think here is how it is. Vertical scanning between options really works best on this question.

Options B and D an be eliminated because of the inappropriate usage of the word "unfortunately". As soon as we see an "ly" over here, we know that the word is used as an adverb and hence cannot modify the noun "injury".

Options A and E can be eliminated because of the usage of it's as it's is the short form for it is - Ideally if Option A had "its" I would have chosen that any day. Option E also has the word "will" adding an unnecessary certainty to the statement.

This leaves us with Option C - However, I do not completely agree that the pronoun "their" can be used to replace "India" - Makes me doubt the source of the question, all the more.

Hope that helps.

All the best.

Thanks,

Dudyala Saikiran
Byju's GMAT Expert.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 264
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.22
Send PM
spetznaz wrote:
A,D,E can be eliminated for the use of it's. It's is the same as it+is. We need a possessive form of pronoun here. B vs C - don't choose B as use of unfortunately is wrong. Use of their in C is not incorrect because India can be taken to be either singular or plural based on context. Indian team - singular ; India - as an entity of billion plus people is plural. Option C it is !

Accordingly Sir, " How will the company solve its Problem?" is a wrong sentence
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6922 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts