Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 16:46 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 16:46

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28578 [16]
Given Kudos: 130
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 372 [9]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
General Discussion
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4891 [1]
Given Kudos: 219
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Director
Director
Affiliations: NYK Line
Own Kudos [?]: 1859 [1]
Given Kudos: 70
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE:Engineering (Transportation)
Send PM
Re: x(x + 7^(1/2)) = 90. In the equation above, x = [#permalink]
Kudos
Value of root(7) is close around 2.6, so 5+2.6 is 7.6
hence we can approximate it to be x*7.5= 90
X = 12
Option A is 12.......
I took a non conventional approach.
Moreover the arrangement of options are not in the standard gmat format.......I guess Mike understand, what i m pointing to....

Consider Kudos if my post helps!!!

Archit
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 3121 [0]
Given Kudos: 116
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
POE

x = \(\frac{90}{(5+\sqrt{7})}\)

\(5 + \sqrt{7}\) will be something between 7 & 8

So, x should be in the range of 11-12.

We can eliminate B,C. D & E will be greater than 90 and hence can also be eliminated. Only A remains.

Answer is A
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
mikemcgarry wrote:
\(x*(5 + sqrt(7)) = 90\)
In the equation above, x =

(A) \(5*(5 - sqrt(7))\)
(B) \(\frac{15}{2}\)
(C) \(15\)
(D) \(90*(5 - sqrt(7))\)
(E) \(90*(5 + sqrt(7))\)

Mike :-)

seriously ?? is this a 700+ question ?? its very simple rationalization ..
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28578 [2]
Given Kudos: 130
Kudos
Expert Reply
atilarora wrote:

Dear atilarora
My friend, you are obvious very skilled in mathematics. IF you have the "difference of two squares" at your fingertips, and IF you remember how to square a radical (you'd be surprised how many folks are confused by even that!), and IF you are familiar with the procedure for rationalizing an expression such as this, then yes, this question is very easy. I am guessing that less than 10% of the GMAT taking population meets all of those "IF" conditions.
I was estimating the difficulty based on what most students studying for the GMAT know or don't know. Some people's brains short-circuit as soon as they see a fraction of any kind, and a fraction with radicals send some of them into conniptions. The entire idea of rationalizing a fraction with an expression involving addition of a radical in the denominator --- holy mackerel! For a large swathe of the test-taking population, such a problem might as well be written in Sanskrit! Obviously, you are quite familiar with this. Don't confuse "easy for you" with "easy" in general.

This, in a way, is the paradox of all math --- when you don't know how to do it, it's impossibly difficult, and when you know how to do it, it is often trivially easy, and just one insight or shift in perspective can make the difference between those two.

Does this make sense?
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619486 [0]
Given Kudos: 81611
Send PM
Expert Reply
mikemcgarry wrote:
atilarora wrote:

This, in a way, is the paradox of all math --- when you don't know how to do it, it's impossibly difficult, and when you know how to do it, it is often trivially easy, and just one insight or shift in perspective can make the difference between those two.

Does this make sense?

Very true.

Quote:
I could not help laughing at the ease with which he explained his process of deduction. “When I hear you give your reasons,” I remarked, “the thing always appears to me to be so ridiculously simple that I could easily do it myself, though at each successive instance of your reasoning I am baffled until you explain your process. And yet I believe that my eyes are as good as yours.”

"A Scandal in Bohemia", Arthur Conan Doyle.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Kudos
mikemcgarry wrote:
atilarora wrote:

Dear atilarora
My friend, you are obvious very skilled in mathematics.

you wrote later in the post something easy for someone might be difficult for others .. true .. rationalization easy for me does not mean I am very skilled ..

Quote:
IF you have the "difference of two squares" at your fingertips, and IF you remember how to square a radical (you'd be surprised how many folks are confused by even that!)

do you know anyone who is not aware of what is the square of 5 and sqrt(7) ??

Quote:
and IF you are familiar with the procedure for rationalizing an expression such as this, then yes, this question is very easy.

If its easy it should not be in 700+

Quote:
I am guessing that less than 10% of the GMAT taking population meets all of those "IF" conditions.
I was estimating the difficulty based on what most students studying for the GMAT know or don't know. Some people's brains short-circuit as soon as they see a fraction of any kind, and a fraction with radicals send some of them into conniptions. The entire idea of rationalizing a fraction with an expression involving addition of a radical in the denominator --- holy mackerel! For a large swathe of the test-taking population, such a problem might as well be written in Sanskrit! Obviously, you are quite familiar with this. Don't confuse "easy for you" with "easy" in general.

I don't know what GMAT taking population you know, as far as I know some of the students, everyone know how to do this particular question in less then 50 secs. May be because maths comes easy to Indians. and as you are an instructor you must get to know students of very different levels.

Quote:

Does this make sense?

truedat .. this makes sense Mike .. you can smile again.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
GPA: 3.49
WE:Web Development (Computer Software)
Send PM
mikemcgarry wrote:
\(x*(5 + sqrt(7)) = 90\)
In the equation above, x =

(A) \(5*(5 - sqrt(7))\)
(B) \(\frac{15}{2}\)
(C) \(15\)
(D) \(90*(5 - sqrt(7))\)
(E) \(90*(5 + sqrt(7))\)

For a full discussion of how to divide by radicals and radical expressions, as well as a complete solution to this particular problem, see this blog:
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/gmat-math- ... uare-root/

My take::

keep the variable x on one side and move all the other terms to another side of equality.

thus we get 90/ 5+ root 7
now rationalize the denominator to get the answer choice A
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 822 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92959 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts