Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 01:06 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 01:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [0]
Given Kudos: 347
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Board of Directors
Send PM
Re: Yale Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink]
Expert Reply
kartelite wrote:
Anyone else applying to the JD/MBA program? I have my interview coming up and was wondering if I'll need to address my interest in the joint program or just SOM.

Also, I assume it's possible to get into one school but not the other? Will the decisions come separately or at the same time?

Caveat: Not a dual-degree student

The application processes are separate, so if you want to do both, you'll have to be accepted at both YLS and SOM. Therefore, you'll hear back from each school based on their own individual timelines.

As far as the interview is concerned, I assume if you're also applying to the law school, you've done some sort of legal work in the past and your business school/law school story is intertwined in some way. To me then, it would make sense to mention that you are applying to both schools, and you feel that the degrees will help you for A, B, C reasons. Obviously, the person who interviews you at SOM will only be assessing your fit for the SOM program, so be sure to focus on why SOM in that conversation.

Aside: If you are accepted into only 1 of the 2 programs and do matriculate at Yale, you can reapply to the other program next year at this time if you are still interested in the dual-degree program.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
aerien wrote:

As far as the interview is concerned, I assume if you're also applying to the law school, you've done some sort of legal work in the past and your business school/law school story is intertwined in some way. To me then, it would make sense to mention that you are applying to both schools, and you feel that the degrees will help you for A, B, C reasons. Obviously, the person who interviews you at SOM will only be assessing your fit for the SOM program, so be sure to focus on why SOM in that conversation.

Aside: If you are accepted into only 1 of the 2 programs and do matriculate at Yale, you can reapply to the other program next year at this time if you are still interested in the dual-degree program.

Don't you think it's pretty unusual for either law or business school applicants to have some sort of prior legal work experience? I actually do, but would think the emphasis is more on one's future plans rather than an actual legal background...also, did you mean SOM students can apply to the four-year joint program? The first year of the three-year program is at YLS so I don't think the three year option would be available. I'd have to re-take the LSAT since my score expires this session, and if I'm not getting in with my current score I probably won't be getting in with whatever I get on a retake.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 81
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Organizational Behavior
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V38
GMAT 2: 720 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.62
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
kartelite wrote:
Don't you think it's pretty unusual for either law or business school applicants to have some sort of prior legal work experience? I actually do, but would think the emphasis is more on one's future plans rather than an actual legal background...also, did you mean SOM students can apply to the four-year joint program? The first year of the three-year program is at YLS so I don't think the three year option would be available. I'd have to re-take the LSAT since my score expires this session, and if I'm not getting in with my current score I probably won't be getting in with whatever I get on a retake.

You're right in terms of 3-year vs. 4-year JD/MBA. However, I think what aerien was referring to was if you get into YLS but not SOM you can reapply the following year as a 1L (this has happened). With other joint degrees, you can do it either direction. (You can also do it the other direction from SOM to YLS, but you're correct in that it would require a 4th year.)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
OhDenny wrote:
You're right in terms of 3-year vs. 4-year JD/MBA. However, I think what aerien was referring to was if you get into YLS but not SOM you can reapply the following year as a 1L (this has happened). With other joint degrees, you can do it either direction. (You can also do it the other direction from SOM to YLS, but you're correct in that it would require a 4th year.)

Gotcha, thanks. Definitely looking forward to my interview and learning more about the program.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, Leadership
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.67
WE:Marketing (Accounting)
Send PM
Anyone invited to interview last week?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Still early on in the process. It's only early Feb so plenty of invites still to go out. Yale probably hasn't gotten through most of the applications yet.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 394 [0]
Given Kudos: 155
GMAT 1: 730 Q52 V37
Send PM
Yes, we should consider ourselves lucky to have not received interview invites yet. Who wants to interview at Yale during February with all the snow? Better to get the late invite with the late interview and nice weather! :twisted:

Good luck to all those with interviews this week and next... New Haven just got snow yesterday and is supposed to get more snow tomorrow and this weekend!!! :getout
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Concentration: Operations, Human Resources
GPA: 3.4
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
For anyone who already went through the process, does anyone know if there are situations where the acceptance notifications are given before their Round 2 April deadline or any other deadlines? Or did you guys just check online when the deadline date came? Thanks!!!

For those of you waiting, to give some feedback from my own experiences - already went through interview and it was a pretty formal event with all the other interviewee candidates. All interviews were conducted with second year students and all questions were the same for everyone. It was mostly behavioral and not too many fit/why yale questions. Good luck to all still interviewing!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q46 V45
Send PM
I just checked my application and it says interview requested 02/04 but I never received an email. I guess everybody should be checking his/her status as well as waiting for an email.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 394 [0]
Given Kudos: 155
GMAT 1: 730 Q52 V37
Send PM
koach wrote:
I just checked my application and it says interview requested 02/04 but I never received an email. I guess everybody should be checking his/her status as well as waiting for an email.

Congrats! Nada on my status, but thanks for letting us know!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q46 V45
Send PM
farful wrote:
koach wrote:

Thanks farful, best of luck!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
koach wrote:
farful wrote:
koach wrote:

Thanks farful, best of luck!

Based on koach's post, I am gonna predict another wave of invites to be sent out on Friday. If I'm not part of this cycle, I'm gonna really start to lose hope :(
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Sustainability
GPA: 3.73
Send PM
Got an interview invite at 9:23 pm. An odd time, but excited :). When I checked for interview slots, only Friday, Feb 21 has availablility.

Originally posted by SocialImpact on 05 Feb 2014, 20:09.
Last edited by SocialImpact on 06 Feb 2014, 15:56, edited 1 time in total.
Board of Directors
Send PM
Expert Reply
SocialImpact wrote:
Got an interview invite at 9:23 am. An odd time, but excited :). When I checked for interview slots, only Friday, Feb 21 has availablility.

Congrats! Hope to see you on Feb 21 then!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 148 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Organizational Behavior, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.84
WE:Editorial and Writing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
My interview invite came in at 9:21pm (!)--thanks to whoever on adcom is working late tonight!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V38
Send PM
Got an interview on Tuesday, February 5th. I received the invitation at the end of january and at that time they mentioned to me that the interviews in London were already filled so I had a Skype interview. Nothing surprising in the interview, they are still looking for behavioural skills :-D
Good luck to you all!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Does anyone have any ideas by when most/all invites will be sent out?
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  36   37   38   39   40   41   42  ...  50   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts