Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 22:55 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 22:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 394 [1]
Given Kudos: 155
GMAT 1: 730 Q52 V37
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 394 [8]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [7]
Given Kudos: 48
Concentration: Nonprofit, Marketing
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.4
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 95 [7]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Re: Yale Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink]
Kudos
**Edited due to changed decision**

In the end the decision came down to Yale and Tuck.

Originally posted by Flyte on 08 Apr 2014, 06:12.
Last edited by Flyte on 12 May 2014, 10:37, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [5]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V47
GPA: 4
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
Just got invited to interview!! super excited..
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [5]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
If its any consolation to anyone, I got an interview request tonight - so it seems they are still comming.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [5]
Given Kudos: 78
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.41
Send PM
Kudos
The majority of students are not in favor of grade disclosure, many students are against the new grade between proficient and distinction, and the vast majority of students are upset by the way in which these changes took place. Needless to say there are a lot of conversations happening both formally and informally with various stakeholders (alumni, current students, student government, etc.). Obviously some students are in favor of the changes, but what we all agree on is that we don't want these changes to have a negative effect on our culture. I think our priority , regardless of any individual's opinion on the changes themselves, should be to ensure that the SOM spirit of collegiality, collaboration, creativity, and care remains intact. There may be nothing to worry about, but I believe culture can and should be nurtured, especially in times of "crisis" and change.

The thing worth taking to heart is that the change in policy will have no effect on students currently at SOM, so we are advocating on behalf of prospective students like yourselves. Hopefully you all take that to be a good sign. :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [5]
Given Kudos: 48
Concentration: Nonprofit, Marketing
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.4
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Kudos
Also in from R1 waitlist. I am shocked.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 394 [5]
Send PM
Kudos
Jackpot!!

Waitlist without Interview!!!!!! :-D :-D

Super excited hahahaha. I had assumed no interview was an automatic ding.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 148 [5]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Organizational Behavior, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.84
WE:Editorial and Writing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
An online "application tips" chat led by Bruce DelMonico took place at noon today. They'll be posting the presentation on the website soon (if you're on the prospective student newsletter, you'll get a head's up), but I'll summarize some of the points I found most interesting from the presentation and the Q&A chat (which won't be archived).

Quant Skills
There was a lot of focus on this. Admissions will be looking through your undergraduate transcript and your work experience for quant-skills indicators, so if you don't have any, they recommend building an alternative transcript. It doesn't matter where you take the classes, as long as you're performing well. Your GMAT quant scores could also be used.

The five core quant competencies they're looking for are calculus, statistics, macroeconomics, accounting, and another one that I didn't catch. Stats and macroeconomics are especially key. They recommend that every student have a foundational understanding of each of those before they begin at SOM.

Although there are no formal cut-offs, for the GMAT, you should aim to be above the 60th percentile for quant. Bruce said that scores in the 70th percentile and higher would "put you in a stronger position." SOM admits/students skew higher on verbal.

GMAT/GRE Advice
Bruce says that it's not worth retaking the GMAT if you can't reasonably expect to score 40+ points higher.

A significant portion of current SOM students took the GMATs more than once. However, admissions thinks there are diminishing returns after 2-3 tests.

They are not going to look at IR scores very closely, or possibly at all. Since this portion of the test is so new, they're not sure how to evaluate it. (Woohoo!)

They do not weigh the GREs differently from the GMATs. There is no difference in rates of admissions for candidates submitting one or the other. However, Rebekah from admissions says that, "The only time we may suggest a GMAT over a GRE is if you have no quantitative familiarity at all (work experience, study, etc), as it may help us feel more comfortable with your quantitative skills."

General Application Advice
For the video answers, they're looking to see how well you communicate verbally and how articulate you are. However, they're not expecting perfection; they understand that with no opportunities to prepare for the questions (you'll get three, drawn from a randomized pool), your thoughts will not be fully formed. Two of the questions will be straightforward behaviorial questions, similar to what you would be asked at a job interview; the third will be a thought question, similar to the AWA section of the GMATs or the GRE writing sample. You should wear business casual.

Unless you have a huge amount of work experience and accomplishments, your resume should be one page. However, don't worry if the uploader splits it into two pages when you submit. Your resume should focus on full-time work experience. Use the activities portion of the application to discuss extracurricular involvements.

Bruce strongly recommends that you do not share your essays with your recommenders because if there is similar language in your essays and your recommendations, admissions will assume the worst (i.e., that you wrote your own recommendations).

They reduced the number of essays this year for two reasons: 1) to make room for the video answers; and 2) to encourage applicants to weigh essays equally with other application elements. Still, they recommend paying attention to your essays.

Don't hide your weaknesses; they will see them regardless. It's important to incorporate or contextualize them in your application, though; just be sure that you aren't leading with them.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [4]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 620 Q42 V34
GMAT 2: 680 Q42 V41
GMAT 3: 700 Q47 V38
GPA: 3.55
Send PM
Kudos
I just completed my video questions. While I will not go into detail about what questions were asked, I will say it was a nerve wracking experience. I consider myself to be very poised in interview situations, and this threw me a little bit. I think the fact that my responses were recorded, and could be reviewed, re-reviewed, and scrutinized, was a scary thought. Also, the fact that you only have 90 seconds to respond, and you can see the seconds ticking down as you answer, made it challenging. I found it difficult to find the right pace, and make sure I said everything I needed to within the timeframe without rushing.

All in all...BEST OF LUCK TO YOU ALL!!

-JPD

sdd996 wrote:
freegg123 wrote:
quantumquark wrote:
Just received the email to submit the video questions.. Has anyone completed it? How was it?

same questions

Same as what? Or could you mention/link to them?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [4]
Given Kudos: 204
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
Kudos
ah. got fooled again by the Yale newsletter. They know how to play with my feelings.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [5]
Given Kudos: 45
Schools: Yale '16 (M)
Send PM
Kudos