Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 00:51 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 00:51

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619552 [20]
Given Kudos: 81613
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6861 [10]
Given Kudos: 500
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 441 [2]
Given Kudos: 43
Send PM
Re: 12 Days of Christmas GMAT Competition - Day 10: Many parents think of [#permalink]
Kudos
Many parents think of figures such as Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, and the Tooth Fairy as harmless suggestions that allow children to be imaginative and grow more excited about holidays and life events. However, lying to children violates the moral obligation parents have to teach their children the importance of telling the truth.

Which of the following is an assumption on which the argument depends?

Premise : parents think of figures such as Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, and the Tooth Fairy as harmless suggestions
This does not imply that they ARE harmless suggestions.

Contrast : Parents have moral obligation to teach the kids the importance of telling the truth.

Conclusion : Probably (not definitely) its wrong of parents to lie, owing to the existing obligation.

(A) Parents cause more harm by lying to their children than by telling them there is no Santa Claus, Easter Bunny, or Tooth Fairy.
We are comparing two wrong things here.
Lying vs telling children that there is no Santa Claus, Easter Bunny, or Tooth Fairy.
This,to me, seems more like parents' assumption (as per parents, this will allow children to be imaginative and grow more excited about holidays and life events) So yes this can qualify for parents' assumption but not that of the entire argument as such.

(B) Parents are bound to tell the truth.
Irrelevant

(C) Children should be allowed to be imaginative without being lied to by their parents.
This is a suggestion - not a necessary assumption.

(D) Children are not able to tell for themselves that Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, or the Tooth Fairy are not real-life figures.
Even if they were- this does not help in solidifying the conclusion that parents should /should not lie to the kids.

(E) Parents must teach their children certain values.
ANT : Parents must not teach their children certain values. If they don't need to teach their kids the values, they are not obligated to teach their children the importance of telling the truth. Hence, Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, and the Tooth Fairy as harmless suggestions are valid.
Hence, the conclusion is weakened. This should be a necessary assumption.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: 12 Days of Christmas GMAT Competition - Day 10: Many parents think of [#permalink]
Kudos
Option E is the correct answer.

Option A is wrong because that is just stating the argument of the passage.
Option B is wrong because if parents are bound to tell the truth, there is no point in this passage's argument.
Option C is wrong because the passage doesn't suggest or encourage imagination in children explicitly and is only stating that helping children be imaginative is the reason why parents lie.
Option D is wrong because it is not relevant to the passage's argument since the argument focuses more on the parents and their responsibilities to their children, not the children themselves.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [2]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.12
Send PM
Kudos
Correct answer E I think.

Argument: parents think it is ok to lie to children about Santa Claus, suggestions that make children imaginative and excited about the holidays. However acc to author lying violates the moral obligation that parents have towards their children to teach them not to lie.

(A) Parents cause more harm by lying to their children than by telling them there is no Santa Claus, Easter Bunny, or Tooth Fairy.

In other words Parents cause more harm by lying than by telling the truth. But The argument is not about the amount of harm caused to children by lying. It’s about the moral obligation that parents have vs what they actually do.

This is an over generalization. Even if this option states parents are bound to tell the truth to their children, it is not a necessary assumption.

(C) Children should be allowed to be imaginative without being lied to by their parents.
Completely out of scope.

(D) Children are not able to tell for themselves that Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, or the Tooth Fairy are not real-life figures.

Even If children are able to tell for themselves that Santa isn’t real, their parents are still lying to them, still violating the moral obligation which is the main point of the argument. Cannot be D.

(E) Parents must teach their children certain values
If parents needn’t teach their children certain values, there would be no moral obligation and hence the argument would fall apart. So E is correct IMO

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [2]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Statistics, Strategy
WE:General Management (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Kudos
Correct answer: E

Pre thinking:
parent think Santa+ are harmless suggestions -> but, lying breaks moral obligation.
The statement assumes that parent tell their kids what they think about Santa+ to make them imaginative and hence they lie.

Incorrect: * This is unrelated to the argument about breaking an obligation. There is no mention of the degree of harm in the argument.

Incorrect:*Even if the parents are not bound to tell the truth, the above argument still holds that lying breaks moral obligation.

Incorrect: *Once again this is unrelated to the argument.

Incorrect: *Even if the children recognise that Santa+ are not real, the argument still holds.

(E) Parents must teach their children certain values
Correct: the argument mentions about a moral obligation and it assumes that the parent will be teaching the value of speaking truth and therefore the contradiction. On the other hand, if parents decide not to teach the value of speaking truth, the argument doesn't hold.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [2]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GPA: 3.88
WE:Business Development (Insurance)
Send PM
Kudos
So, there is a premise What parents tell about Santa and all?
Argument "However, lying ........ telling the truth.

Important points to note in argument: Violation of the moral obligation.
Which means assumption need to do something with moral responsibility.

Option A Which type of harm is not very clear plus paragraph has shown a positive side which is an increase in imagination. (eliminated)

Option B Bound to tell the truth, its not an moral obligation as moral obligation are something you yourself want to follow not because someone else told you to do so but as you belive it to do so. Passage is about moral obligation (eliminated)

Option C How to allow someone to think and not think about something plus its never said that children's are not been allowed. It's simple that santa and other help to improve imagination. (eliminated)

Option D They may not be able to tell themself but its not upon which argument depends. (eliminated)

Option E This is something matching with our pre-assumption. Parents must teach (moral obligation) certain values. Argument is by telling lie parents are lying something which they should not as they are the ones who should teach not to lie.

Answer E
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [2]
Given Kudos: 88
WE:Consulting (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Kudos
IMO E.

Conclusion: lying to children violates the moral obligation parents have to teach their children the importance of telling the truth.

Which of the following is an assumption on which the argument depends?

(A) Parents cause more harm by lying to their children than by telling them there is no Santa Claus, Easter Bunny, or Tooth Fairy.=> The argument is on teaching children the importance of truth not about the after effects of lying. So A is out.

(B) Parents are bound to tell the truth.=> This statement is extreme and doesn't cover anything to support teaching kids values. so B is out

(C) Children should be allowed to be imaginative without being lied to by their parents.=> This is about children and not parents so C is out.

(D) Children are not able to tell for themselves that Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, or the Tooth Fairy are not real-life figures. => Again the statement is talking about children. On deeper analysis and negating the statement, we get that children know that these are imaginary figures and their parents are lying to them. But doesn't make our conclusion fall apart. So D is out.

(E) Parents must teach their children certain values. => Aha! This strengthens the conclusion. Also if we negate this(parents need not teach their children certain values), our conclusion falls apart. So E is the answer.

Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6861 [2]
Kudos
Expert Reply
sudeshpatodiya wrote:
(D) Children are not able to tell for themselves that Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, or the Tooth Fairy are not real-life figures. If the Children are not able to tell for themselves then Yes, the parents are lying in this process. Let's say that children were able to tell for themselves - If this were true, then parents are not lying and if they are not lying then why are we even talking about violation of moral code

Given this line of thinking for (D)
AndrewN
Please can you explain why (D) is wrong. Is my line of thinking incorrect in drawing the conclusion that the main essence of the argument is "Parents lie to their children while citing such figures"

I have read your explanation, but I am still confused. Also, a lot of people have picked (D). It would be really helpful if you can explain this again.

Hello, sudeshpatodiya. We are stepping into philosophical territory, outside the bounds of GMAT™ CR, but I would agree with you that the argument is based on the premise that parents lie to their children by bending the truth about the figures mentioned. Whether the children do or do not know fact from fiction is actually irrelevant to the argument about parents, though, since the parents themselves could be either creating or furthering a lie simply by suggesting to their children that Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, or the Tooth Fairy were real. Sometimes it can even be fun to be in on a lie together. A parent might say to a child, "Don't go downstairs, or the boogeyman will get you." The child might reply, "Yeah, right" (and then go downstairs, turning on a light or two in the process while looking around). But, according to the argument, even this sort of lie on the part of the parent would constitute a violation of the moral obligation parents have to teach their children the importance of telling the truth. That is linear logic, the type that is tested in CR. As much as possible, look to avoid associative reasoning, and stick to the exact argument presented.

I hope that helps.

- Andrew
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [1]
Given Kudos: 26
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
Schools: Cranfield (A)
GMAT 1: 680 Q46 V38
GPA: 3.07
Send PM
Kudos
Hi AndrewN, thanks for the explanation, but could you please clear a doubt for me?
As per your explanation 'Just because parents are bound to teach their children about the truth does not necessarily mean that those parents have to tell the truth', you are assuming preaching not equals to practicing. Similarly one can also assume 'certain values' may or may not include telling the truth. In that case it is not mandated moral obligation. What is wrong with my line of thought?
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6861 [1]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Biddu86 wrote:
Hi AndrewN, thanks for the explanation, but could you please clear a doubt for me?
As per your explanation 'Just because parents are bound to teach their children about the truth does not necessarily mean that those parents have to tell the truth', you are assuming preaching not equals to practicing. Similarly one can also assume 'certain values' may or may not include telling the truth. In that case it is not mandated moral obligation. What is wrong with my line of thought?

zhanbo wrote:
AndrewN, (E) Parents must teach their children certain values.
does not necessarily mean "Parents must teach their children the value of telling the truth", right?

Supposing we agree that
Parents must teach their children certain values such as
> Working hard to provide for the family.
> Contributing generously to community.
> Not hurting others' feelings even though one has to withhold truth.
> Encouraging other's imagination by not ruining their fanciful belief in stories depicted in "Frozen", "Lion king", "A Christmas Carol" and others.
In this case, I believe we can go on to ask parents to "lie to children" regarding the veracity of princes, talking animals, and Santa clause.

In addition, different parents have different values to teach. Some may believe
> We have to win by all means including, but not limited to, telling lies.
For parents holding such value, it is probably imperative to lead by example and tell lies wherever convenient.

Indeed, children who can tell lies are more crafty and likely more imaginative and can surely have a hugely successful business and / or political career.

Hello, Biddu86 and zhanbo. I am responding to both of you at once because your queries are similar enough, in my view, to warrant one response. I think both of you are reaching beyond the passage to draw upon the type of reasoning that gets a test-taker into trouble. First off, I am not assuming that preaching does not equal practicing. But whether parents lead by example is, once again, outside the scope of the argument presented. Plus, looking again at (B), the answer says nothing about children. Parents should tell the truth to whom? Everyone? Other parents? At all times? The argument restricts itself to what parents need to teach their children. Within such an argument, we can conflate the importance of telling the truth from the passage with certain values in the correct answer choice. It is kind of like classifying a square as a parallelogram. Are all parallelograms squares? No. But a square is a type of parallelogram, just as the importance of telling the truth, in light of the moral obligation mentioned in the argument, can be construed as a certain value that parents must teach their children.

You are welcome to disagree. I respect both your opinions, and zhanbo, I enjoyed the closing line of your post. But what we are talking about here is a difference between a linear logic under which a GMAT™ CR question operates and a real-world logic that is molded to fit whichever argument you hope to make.

- Andrew
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 99 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
Concentration: General Management, Finance
WE:General Management (Transportation)
Send PM
(D) Children are not able to tell for themselves that Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, or the Tooth Fairy are not real-life figures. If the Children are not able to tell for themselves then Yes, the parents are lying in this process. Let's say that children were able to tell for themselves - If this were true, then parents are not lying and if they are not lying then why are we even talking about violation of moral code

Given this line of thinking for (D)
AndrewN
Please can you explain why (D) is wrong. Is my line of thinking incorrect in drawing the conclusion that the main essence of the argument is "Parents lie to their children while citing such figures"

I have read your explanation, but I am still confused. Also, a lot of people have picked (D). It would be really helpful if you can explain this again.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2301 [0]
Given Kudos: 114
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
GRE 1: Q169 V168

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
AndrewN, (E) Parents must teach their children certain values.
does not necessarily mean "Parents must teach their children the value of telling the truth", right?

Supposing we agree that
Parents must teach their children certain values such as
> Working hard to provide for the family.
> Contributing generously to community.
> Not hurting others' feelings even though one has to withhold truth.
> Encouraging other's imagination by not ruining their fanciful belief in stories depicted in "Frozen", "Lion king", "A Christmas Carol" and others.
In this case, I believe we can go on to ask parents to "lie to children" regarding the veracity of princes, talking animals, and Santa clause.

In addition, different parents have different values to teach. Some may believe
> We have to win by all means including, but not limited to, telling lies.
For parents holding such value, it is probably imperative to lead by example and tell lies wherever convenient.

Indeed, children who can tell lies are more crafty and likely more imaginative and can surely have a hugely successful business and / or political career.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts