Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 18:20 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 18:20

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: General Management, International Business
Schools: ISB '15
GMAT 1: 680 Q46 V37
WE:Project Management (Computer Software)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2136 [2]
Given Kudos: 43
WE:Science (Education)
Send PM
Director
Director
Affiliations: NYK Line
Own Kudos [?]: 1858 [0]
Given Kudos: 70
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE:Engineering (Transportation)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2136 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
WE:Science (Education)
Send PM
Re: 12 Easy Pieces (or not?) [#permalink]
Archit143 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
5. The angles in a triangle are x, 3x, and 5x degrees. If a, b and c are the lengths of the sides opposite to angles x, 3x, and 5x respectively, then which of the following must be true?
I. c>a+b
II. c^2>a^2+b^2
III. c/a/b=10/6/2

A. I only
B. II only
C. III only
D. I and III only
E. II and III only

According to the relationship of the sides of a triangle: the length of any side of a triangle must be larger than the positive difference of the other two sides, but smaller than the sum of the other two sides. Thus I and III can never be true: one side (c) can not be larger than the sum of the other two sides (a and b). Note that III is basically the same as I: if c=10, a=6 and b=2 then c>a+b, which can never be true. Thus even not considering the angles, we can say that only answer choice B (II only) is left.

Answer: B.

Now, if interested why II is true: as the angles in a triangle are x, 3x, and 5x degrees then x+3x+5x=180 --> x=20, 3x=60, and 5x=100. Next, if angle opposite c were 90 degrees, then according to Pythagoras theorem c^2=a^+b^2, but since the angel opposite c is more than 90 degrees (100) then c is larger, hence c^2>a^+b^2.

Let the side opposite to 5x = 10 , 3x = 9 and x = 8
C^2 > a^2 + b^2
wont hold true
pls explain

The angles are uniquely determined: 20, 60 and 100.
Then, the sides cannot be anything you wish. All the triangles with angles 20, 60, and 180 are similar, which means, once you have fixed one side, the other two are uniquely determined.
For example, if you consider that the side opposing the 20 angle is 10, then the side opposing the 60 angle should be approximately 25.3209 , it cannot be 9.
You need trigonometry (which is out of the scope of the GMAT) to determine the sides. But definitely, they cannot be 10, 9 and 8.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 94
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
4. If -3<x<5 and -7<y<9, which of the following represent the range of all possible values of y-x?
A. -4<y-x<4
B. -2<y-x<4
C. -12<y-x<4
D. -12<y-x<12
E. 4<y-x<12

To get max value of y-x take max value of y and min value of x: 9-(-3)=12;
To get min value of y-x take min value of y and max value of x: -7-(5)=-12;

Hence, the range of all possible values of y-x is -12<y-x<12.

Answer: D.

Those values of x and y you had considered would be right if there was an <= symbol at all the places where there are inequality signs. But, provided there is no = symbol along with < and >, then won't the range be -10 to +10? Please explain!
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619246 [2]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
sharmila79 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
4. If -3<x<5 and -7<y<9, which of the following represent the range of all possible values of y-x?
A. -4<y-x<4
B. -2<y-x<4
C. -12<y-x<4
D. -12<y-x<12
E. 4<y-x<12

Those values of x and y you had considered would be right if there was an <= symbol at all the places where there are inequality signs. But, provided there is no = symbol along with < and >, then won't the range be -10 to +10? Please explain!

If y=8.9 and x=-2.9, then y-x=11.8.
If y=-6.9 and x=4.9, then y-x=-11.8.

So, your range (-10 , 10) is clearly wrong.

Consider the following approach, we have -3<x<5 and -7<y<9,

Add y<9 and -3<x --> y-3<9+x --> y-x<12;
Add -7<y and x<5 --> -7+x<y+5 --> -12<y-x;

So, we have that -12<y-x<12.

Hope it's clear.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
9. Julie is putting M marbles in a row in a repeating pattern: blue, white, red, green, black, yellow, pink. If the row begins with blue marble and ends with red marble, then which of the following could be the value of M?
A. 22
B. 30
C. 38
D. 46
E. 54

There are total of 7 different color marbles in a pattern. Now, as the row begins with blue marble and ends with red marble (so ends with 3rd marble in a pattern) then M=7k+3. The only answer choice which is multiple of 7 plus 3 is 38=35+3.

Answer: C.

Sorry, this may be a silly thing to ask, I don't understand the problem.
What exactly is it asking?

Can someone please explain?

I get that it is asking how many marbles does Julie have. Here is what I am understanding:

Basically there are marbles with seven different colors. Out of which blue, white and red always stay in that order since these three form a pattern. The rest of the four marbles of different colors can be in any order. But the 8th marble will always be blue followed by white and followed by white.
Is this thinking/approach correct??

If yes, where does 38 come from and if it is not correct, please tell me what's wrong.

Thanks
Math Expert
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
jjack0310 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
9. Julie is putting M marbles in a row in a repeating pattern: blue, white, red, green, black, yellow, pink. If the row begins with blue marble and ends with red marble, then which of the following could be the value of M?
A. 22
B. 30
C. 38
D. 46
E. 54

There are total of 7 different color marbles in a pattern. Now, as the row begins with blue marble and ends with red marble (so ends with 3rd marble in a pattern) then M=7k+3. The only answer choice which is multiple of 7 plus 3 is 38=35+3.

Answer: C.

Sorry, this may be a silly thing to ask, I don't understand the problem.
What exactly is it asking?

Can someone please explain?

I get that it is asking how many marbles does Julie have. Here is what I am understanding:

Basically there are marbles with seven different colors. Out of which blue, white and red always stay in that order since these three form a pattern. The rest of the four marbles of different colors can be in any order. But the 8th marble will always be blue followed by white and followed by white.
Is this thinking/approach correct??

If yes, where does 38 come from and if it is not correct, please tell me what's wrong.

Thanks

No, that's not correct.

The question asks to determine how many marbles Julie has.

The pattern is always the same {blue, white, red, green, black, yellow, pink}{blue, white, red, green, black, yellow, pink}{blue, white, red, green, black, yellow, pink}...

At some point Julie does not have enough marbles to end the pattern and the row ends with a red marble: {blue, white, red}.

For example, it could happen if she had 7+3=10 marbles:
{blue, white, red, green, black, yellow, pink}{blue, white, red}

Or 7*2+3=17 marbles:
{blue, white, red, green, black, yellow, pink}{blue, white, red, green, black, yellow, pink}{blue, white, red}

Or: 7*3+3=24 marbles:
{blue, white, red, green, black, yellow, pink}{blue, white, red, green, black, yellow, pink}{blue, white, red, green, black, yellow, pink}{blue, white, red}

As you can see the number of marbles is always a multiple of 7 plus 3.

The only answer choice which is multiple of 7 plus 3 is 38 = 7*5+3:
{blue, white, red, green, black, yellow, pink}{blue, white, red, green, black, yellow, pink}{blue, white, red, green, black, yellow, pink}{blue, white, red, green, black, yellow, pink}{blue, white, red, green, black, yellow, pink}{blue, white, red}.

Hope it's clear.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 117
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
2. If x is an integer and 9<x^2<99, then what is the value of maximum possible value of x minus minimum possible value of x?
A. 5
B. 6
C. 7
D. 18
E. 20

Also tricky. Notice that \(x\) can take positive, as well as negative values to satisfy \(9<x^2<99\), hence \(x\) can be: -9, -8, -7, -6, -4, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, or 9. We asked to find the value of \(x_{max}-x_{min}\), ans since \(x_{max}=9\) and \(x_{min}=-9\) then \(x_{max}-x_{min}=9-(-9)=18\).
[/square_root]

Hi bunel
can you explain how we get max,min possible values from -9 to 9
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619246 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
sivapavan wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
2. If x is an integer and 9<x^2<99, then what is the value of maximum possible value of x minus minimum possible value of x?
A. 5
B. 6
C. 7
D. 18
E. 20

Also tricky. Notice that \(x\) can take positive, as well as negative values to satisfy \(9<x^2<99\), hence \(x\) can be: -9, -8, -7, -6, -4, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, or 9. We asked to find the value of \(x_{max}-x_{min}\), ans since \(x_{max}=9\) and \(x_{min}=-9\) then \(x_{max}-x_{min}=9-(-9)=18\).
[/square_root]

Hi bunel
can you explain how we get max,min possible values from -9 to 9

Sure.

Since x is an integer and 9<x^2<99, then the least value of x is -9 --> (-9)^2<99 (x cannot be -10 because 10^2=100>99).
The same way, the max value of x is 9 --> 9^2<99 (x cannot be 10 because 10^2=100>99).

Does this make sense?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
A. -4<y-x<4
B. -2<y-x<4
C. -12<y-x<4
D. -12<y-x<12
E. 4<y-x<12

This answer is not 100% right, because there is not the sign <= but only <.
therefore (assuming that X and Y are integers the answer is: (-6-(-4))<Y-X<(8-(-2))
Math Expert
Send PM
Kudos