Last visit was: 14 May 2024, 17:08 It is currently 14 May 2024, 17:08

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [12]
Given Kudos: 29
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46
GPA: 4
WE:Business Development (Other)
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2429 [1]
Given Kudos: 1131
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1165 [3]
Given Kudos: 228
Concentration: Technology, Leadership
GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.62
WE:Sales (Computer Software)
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1998 [1]
Given Kudos: 751
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
Re: 700 to 770 - Thank you GMATclub. A debrief. [#permalink]
Kudos
subirroy wrote:
Hi everyone. I've been a long time lurker on these forums, and reading a lot of the debriefs helped through some difficult moments. In my own small way, I'd like to contribute and give back. Big thanks to the wonderful people of this site, Bunuel, BB, GMATRich, and the rest.

Background

I'm a chemical engineer, graduated top of my class in India, and went on to work in Germany, Malaysia and Singapore, for the same company, after getting consistently promoted. Based on this, and my first GMAT score of 700, I thought I had a pretty good shot of getting into an elite school. Long story short, in December of 2017 I applied and subsequently got dinged from Cambridge and Harvard. Harvard was always a moonshot, but Cambridge really cut deep. I decided to take the GMAT again in June 2018, and apply a year later.

Prep

The good folks on the internet seemed to like the Manhattan, so I bought all 6 strategy guides, which also gave access to the full length CATS. I found the Manhattan quant books excellent, and didn't really use the verbal too much. I've pretty much been a native speaker of English my whole life, so I really just brushed up on a few rules and 'formalized' some concepts. The Manhattan tests, while excellent, are supremely difficult, so to anyone reading this, please don't be disheartened by low scores. Ill leave it to others to comment on scoring algorithms. My test scores were as below, in order

MGMAT 1 - 700
MGMAT 2 - 660 (really got annoyed after this one )
GMATPrep 1 - 770
MGMAT 3 - 690
MGMAT 4 - 700
GMATprep 2 - 770
GMATprep 3 -780
MGMAT 5 - 730
MGMAT 6 - 720
GMATPrep 4 - 770
GMATprep 5 - 780
GMATprep 6 - 770 ( taken two days before the exam)

GMAT - 770 Q50 V46

Takeaways :

1. There's a lot of information and advice out there, most of it well intentioned. The key is to find what works for you. Try out a little of everything, especially if you're still early in your prep, and figure out your own schedules, methods of study, books etc. I discovered the Veritasprep videos 3 weeks before my exam, and they are the only reason I finally understood Combinatorics and Probability. Get them on the app for free.

2. There is no substitute for effort. I've never been one of the more intelligent, just someone who works hard. IF I can do it, believe me so can you ! Make a schedule and stick to it. My job involves a lot of travelling, and I shudder thinking back about the time I spent at airports rummaging through my books, simply exhausted. Now, it all feels worth it.

3. Ask for help. Whether its a friend, a course, or this lovely website. Admit that you don't /can't understand something, and try to find someone or something that can help you. Don't give up, saying this is something Ill leave to chance on the GMAT. ( Of course this applies to people who still have some time for their exam. To those of you in your last weeks, ignore this )

4. Stop trying to learn anything in your last 4 weeks. Keep that time for revising, strengthening, and giving tests.

5. Go over every single question from every single test, especially on the GMATPrep exams. Even the ones you got correct. Ask yourself how you got them correct, and whether any new approaches come to you. I can 100% that while similar questions to what you've done before will show up, they will always have a tiny twist.

6. Manhattan exams are difficult. They're good early on in your prep, but don't touch them in your last 4 weeks. Just don't. Not the Quant, the verbal, no, nothing.

7. Spend the last two day before an exam relaxing, thinking about how much you've studied, how much you know. Don't underestimate the importance of sleep. I flew half way across the world to spend the GMAt week with my parents, and gave the exam after 3 days of chilling, with a little bit of jetlag thrown in.

8. Literally every question you can't answer has been answered on this website by somebody. Use this information to understand as much as you can.

9. The GMAT is a test of intelligence, and application of that intelligence. Don't let that trick you into thinking it can't be conquered. You, yes you reading this, have a 750 inside you. All you need to do is a find the right way to let it out.

Good luck.

Hi
Congratulations on your awsome score. Very few test takers reach a 770 on the Gmat.
It shows you are among the top test takers. All the best for your applications.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Send PM
sudarshan22 wrote:
Ahh, those words of wisdom, indeed an insightful debrief.

Many congratulations on the score subirroy , and wishing you luck for your applications :thumbup:

Thank you, and all the best for your GMAT!

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
msurls wrote:
Congrats dude, unreal score! What was your Q and V breakout?

1. Thanks for the suggestion for the Veritas App. Never heard of it before, it looks great.

2. I definitely resonate with this as well. I've always been a hard worker, but if you started with a 700 I'm sure you're naturally very intelligent as well as hard working ;)

6. Understood that Manhattan tests are rough, but why not use them the last 4 weeks? Just to build confidence I'm assuming?

Congrats again and thanks for the debrief!

Thanks bud ! It really felt like Atlas' task sometimes. I literally ran all around the room once the score showed up haha. My split was Q50 V46 IR7

Just to quickly answer -
1. The Veritas app is fantastic to build understanding of a topic that seems difficult. I really regret not finding it earlier. The app is pretty buggy though, so videos tend to freeze. If that happens, delete the app, restart your phone/ipad, and install it again. It's cumbersome, but its worth it !

2. I should clarify - I spent 4 months studying before I got that first 700, and believe me I slogged ! Coming from an Indian engineering background, spending hours with the books is pretty much second nature. However I didn't really "get" the exam, not until I opened up the strategy guides. I'd love to help someone else avoid the donkey work that I did, so if this post does that, Im happy :)

6. I think the last 4 weeks should be spent on focusing on questions that are from the GMAC itself. Even though the Manhattan questions test the same concepts, the language, the framing, the convolutions in the questions, are pretty different. So best to get your brain used to the original stuff. and yes as you said, its a question of confidence ! Getting only 50% of the questions on a Quant section right is painful :-/

Good luck for your exam !
Subir
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Congratulations, score is astronomical!
What is your opinion on the shorter exam compared to the previous version?
https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-is-chan ... 9-420.html
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
gmatzpractice wrote:
Congratulations, score is astronomical!
What is your opinion on the shorter exam compared to the previous version?
https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-is-chan ... 9-420.html

Thank you, I'm really touched by the number of strangers bothering to say congratulations. This is why I love this website :)

I actually found it easier, in the sense that my brain didn't have to work for as long. Timing wise, everything was pretty much the same. I got a humongously long and difficult RC passage around question 27, so I knew I was doing well. I got about 16-17 RC questions, with the rest split equally among SC and CR. I actually found SC easier than the questions I'd been getting on the GMatPrep exams ( from default, EP1 and EP2)
Quant was along expected lines, with 3 questions where I outright guessed. My brain faded on the RTD questions for some reason, and unluckily I got two of those as well as another RTD in IR :(

Best,
Subir
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 58
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
WE:Analyst (Computer Software)
Send PM
700 to 770 - Thank you GMATclub. A debrief. [#permalink]
subirroy wrote:
Hi everyone. I've been a long time lurker on these forums, and reading a lot of the debriefs helped through some difficult moments. In my own small way, I'd like to contribute and give back. Big thanks to the wonderful people of this site, Bunuel, BB, GMATRich, and the rest.

Background

I'm a chemical engineer, graduated top of my class in India, and went on to work in Germany, Malaysia and Singapore, for the same company, after getting consistently promoted. Based on this, and my first GMAT score of 700, I thought I had a pretty good shot of getting into an elite school. Long story short, in December of 2017 I applied and subsequently got dinged from Cambridge and Harvard. Harvard was always a moonshot, but Cambridge really cut deep. I decided to take the GMAT again in June 2018, and apply a year later.

Prep

The good folks on the internet seemed to like the Manhattan, so I bought all 6 strategy guides, which also gave access to the full length CATS. I found the Manhattan quant books excellent, and didn't really use the verbal too much. I've pretty much been a native speaker of English my whole life, so I really just brushed up on a few rules and 'formalized' some concepts. The Manhattan tests, while excellent, are supremely difficult, so to anyone reading this, please don't be disheartened by low scores. Ill leave it to others to comment on scoring algorithms. My test scores were as below, in order

MGMAT 1 - 700
GMATPrep 1 - 770
MGMAT 3 - 690
MGMAT 4 - 700
GMATprep 2 - 770
GMATprep 3 -780
MGMAT 5 - 730
MGMAT 6 - 720
GMATPrep 4 - 770
GMATprep 5 - 780

GMAT - 770 Q50 V46

Takeaways :

1. There's a lot of information and advice out there, most of it well intentioned. The key is to find what works for you. Try out a little of everything, especially if you're still early in your prep, and figure out your own schedules, methods of study, books etc. I discovered the Veritasprep videos 3 weeks before my exam, and they are the only reason I finally understood Combinatorics and Probability. Get them on the app for free.

2. There is no substitute for effort. I've never been one of the more intelligent, just someone who works hard. IF I can do it, believe me so can you ! Make a schedule and stick to it. My job involves a lot of travelling, and I shudder thinking back about the time I spent at airports rummaging through my books, simply exhausted. Now, it all feels worth it.

3. Ask for help. Whether its a friend, a course, or this lovely website. Admit that you don't /can't understand something, and try to find someone or something that can help you. Don't give up, saying this is something Ill leave to chance on the GMAT. ( Of course this applies to people who still have some time for their exam. To those of you in your last weeks, ignore this )

4. Stop trying to learn anything in your last 4 weeks. Keep that time for revising, strengthening, and giving tests.

5. Go over every single question from every single test, especially on the GMATPrep exams. Even the ones you got correct. Ask yourself how you got them correct, and whether any new approaches come to you. I can 100% that while similar questions to what you've done before will show up, they will always have a tiny twist.

6. Manhattan exams are difficult. They're good early on in your prep, but don't touch them in your last 4 weeks. Just don't. Not the Quant, the verbal, no, nothing.

7. Spend the last two day before an exam relaxing, thinking about how much you've studied, how much you know. Don't underestimate the importance of sleep. I flew half way across the world to spend the GMAt week with my parents, and gave the exam after 3 days of chilling, with a little bit of jetlag thrown in.

8. Literally every question you can't answer has been answered on this website by somebody. Use this information to understand as much as you can.

9. The GMAT is a test of intelligence, and application of that intelligence. Don't let that trick you into thinking it can't be conquered. You, yes you reading this, have a 750 inside you. All you need to do is a find the right way to let it out.

Good luck.

Thank you Subir for your little debrief, I have downloaded the Veritas prep application and started to study the concepts that I don't understand from Manhattan guides. I wanted to know how much time have you practiced from the OG, have you practiced by topic also as I'm in that phase now?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
SamarAli wrote:
subirroy wrote:

Background

Prep

MGMAT 1 - 700
GMATPrep 1 - 770
MGMAT 3 - 690
MGMAT 4 - 700
GMATprep 2 - 770
GMATprep 3 -780
MGMAT 5 - 730
MGMAT 6 - 720
GMATPrep 4 - 770
GMATprep 5 - 780

GMAT - 770 Q50 V46

Takeaways :

Good luck.

Thank you Subir for your little debrief, I have downloaded the Veritas prep application and started to study the concepts that I don't understand from Manhattan guides. I wanted to know how much time have you practiced from the OG, have you practiced by topic also as I'm in that phase now?

I found the theory in the OG pretty much useless apart from giving you an idea of the topics. I did all of the questions multiple times though, as they really will be only source of accurate questions to measure your understanding. I suggest to always time yourself when you are practising - like do blocks of 5 questions in 10 minutes, then go back and check the solutions. The OG solutions are pretty complicated sometimes, so check GMATclub for the answer. Someone has usually shown a simpler way to solve most quesitons.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1943 [0]
Given Kudos: 628
Concentration: Marketing, Leadership
Send PM
Congratulations on getting a phenomenal 770 on the GMAT. Your debrief is very insightful and inspiring.
All the best for the applications.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37423 posts