It is currently 10 Dec 2017, 22:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A recent government study links the high rates of respiratory ailments

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: A recent government study links the high rates of respiratory ailments [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2014, 15:20
Kyle, thank you very much for your answers.
Just for me to understand, on the latter,
Answer E makes clearly the assumption that the drop of coffee consumption is caused by the increase of coffee price. In answer D, why is the assumption that the coffee consumption drop is caused by people switching to herbal tea and juice wrong ?
You say that "there isn't a direct connection to say that coffee drinkers have switched to juices and teas" and I agree. But there is none either that says that people are not paying for the price difference coming from the steady increase of coffee price.

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Expert Post
Manhattan Prep Instructor

Kudos [?]: 856 [0], given: 5

Re: A recent government study links the high rates of respiratory ailments [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2014, 16:02
lfcfan wrote:
Answer E makes clearly the assumption that the drop of coffee consumption is caused by the increase of coffee price. In answer D, why is the assumption that the coffee consumption drop is caused by people switching to herbal tea and juice wrong ?
You say that "there isn't a direct connection to say that coffee drinkers have switched to juices and teas" and I agree. But there is none either that says that people are not paying for the price difference coming from the steady increase of coffee price.

There issue isn't with the assumption, it's with the answer choice. The answer choice says that there has been an increase in consumption of juice and caffeine-free herbal teas. If we are trying to attack the conclusion (the decrease in coffee usage stems from the anti-caffeine publicity) we need information to explain a decrease in coffee that is not related to caffeine. This answer choice actually supports instead of attacks the conclusion - they stopped drinking coffee and started drinking non-caffeine drinks to get away from unhealthy caffeine.

If the answer choice said that people preferred the taste of juices and non-caffeine teas (unrelated to the health benefits) and switched from drinking coffee, then we would have an answer choice that would attack the conclusion.

KW

Kyle Widdison | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Utah

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

Kudos [?]: 856 [0], given: 5

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 375

GMAT Date: 12-03-2014
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 31 Dec 2014, 05:51
I was stuck between D and E.
Didn't go for E as the option was bringing in new Information ie 3 new plants

I thought we could bring in new info only for weaken/strengthen questions. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Many thanks

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 375

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Manhattan Prep Instructor

Kudos [?]: 856 [1], given: 5

Show Tags

New post 31 Dec 2014, 15:51
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This question is essentially acting as a weaken question because it asks you to complete the part that describes why the result is "unlikely". We need to introduce new information to show why it is unlikely.

KW

Posted from my mobile device

Kyle Widdison | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Utah

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

Kudos [?]: 856 [1], given: 5

Non-Human User

Kudos [?]: 274 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 13 Dec 2015, 04:50
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Non-Human User

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 01 Feb 2016, 19:23
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 10

Show Tags

New post 12 Nov 2016, 22:33
Hi....Even though i agree to the answer,Im not fully convinced. Statement 5 doesnt mention much anything about their respiratory ailment system. Just because two more industries are gonna come how can we assume that it overwhelm the stated.?In that case I felt opt d also fine. Please comment experts...:)

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 10

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 62

Schools: Anderson '20
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V33

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2017, 14:26
KyleWiddison wrote:
lfcfan wrote:

There issue isn't with the assumption, it's with the answer choice. The answer choice says that there has been an increase in consumption of juice and caffeine-free herbal teas. If we are trying to attack the conclusion (the decrease in coffee usage stems from the anti-caffeine publicity) we need information to explain a decrease in coffee that is not related to caffeine. This answer choice actually supports instead of attacks the conclusion - they stopped drinking coffee and started drinking non-caffeine drinks to get away from unhealthy caffeine.

If the answer choice said that people preferred the taste of juices and non-caffeine teas (unrelated to the health benefits) and switched from drinking coffee, then we would have an answer choice that would attack the conclusion.

KW

Hi Kyle,

Thanks for your clarification. Originally, I was confused between Choice D and E. I thought this was a paradox question. Hence, I focused to the "paradox" that the emission from Woodco links to the high rate of respiratory ailment (RA), yet the reduction of the emission from Woodco is unlikely to decline the rate of RA before the regulations go into effect?

After you pointed out this is a weaken the argument question. I focused more on the assumptions this passage made.

Assumption A: RA is mainly caused by emission from Woodco.

This passage is talking about the RA caused by air pollution caused by Woodco. Therefore, RAs are not caused by airborne pollutants is out of scope. (Choice D )

Assumption B: Before the regulations go into effect, the reduction of air pollution causing RAs is all contributed to Woodco. And the amount of air pollution from other company or source remain the same.

Therefore, choice E attacks to this assumption that connects the premises.

But I am still confused why this question is a weaken the argument rather than a paradox question. I still feel that this question is eligible to be a paradox question. Is it because this passage contains conclusion? Is it the way that this statement "it is unlikely that the rate of respiratory ailment will decline before the regulations go into effect" presented is a prediction rather than a fact. Do I need to focus on assumptions as well for paradox questions? Does paradox passage contain assumptions at all?

Thx for your time.

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 62

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 11

Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 4
WE: Web Development (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2017, 20:27
A recent government study links the high rates of
respiratory ailments in Groverston to airborne
pollutants released by the Woodco plywood
manufacturing plant there. To address the problem,
the government imposed strict regulations on
emissions which will go into effect in four years.
Although Woodco plans to cut its emissions in half
two years ahead of schedule, it is unlikely that the
rate of respiratory ailments will decline before the
regulations go into effect, since _____________ .

(A) the number of facilities capable of treating
respiratory ailments is not likely to increase

(B) reducing emissions even further than planned
would necessitate decreasing production at
Woodco

(C) it is difficult to make accurate, long-term
predictions about emissions

(D) not all respiratory ailments are caused by
airborne pollutants

(E) three new plywood manufacturing plants are
about to go into production in Groverston

Answer is E
A) This is a trap option,since it is talking about treating the ailments ,which is no where mentioned in the passage
B)Decreasing the production at Woodco has nothing to do with the decline in ailments
C)Long term predictions -out of scope
D)Since it is mentioned in the passage that high rate of ailments is because of pollutants released by plant -So this option is also irrelevant
E)correct

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 11

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 35

GPA: 3.31

Show Tags

New post 24 Mar 2017, 08:09
A recent government study links the high rates of respiratory ailments in Groverston to airborne
pollutants released by the Woodco plywood manufacturing plant there. To address the problem,
the government imposed strict regulations on emissions which will go into effect in four years.
Although Woodco plans to cut its emissions in half two years ahead of schedule, it is unlikely that the
rate of respiratory ailments will decline before the regulations go into effect, since _____________ .

Ask is - Woodco plans to cut its emissions in half two years ahead of schedule, but STILL, rate of respiratory ailments won't decline. why?
(A) the number of facilities capable of treating respiratory ailments is not likely to increase
- No mention.
(B) reducing emissions even further than planned would necessitate decreasing production at Woodco
even further than planned ? No mention.
(C) it is difficult to make accurate, long-term predictions about emissions
No mention. May/ may not be.
(D) not all respiratory ailments are caused by airborne pollutants.
There might be other source. but it does not support the argument that -
links the high rates of respiratory ailments in Groverston to airborne pollutants released by the Woodco plywood

(E) three new plywood manufacturing plants are about to go into production in Groverston.
This is most obvious. Certainly it will increase pollutants.
Correct.

E is better than D- E addresses that the type of pollutants is same (airborne pollutants- Woodco emissions), whereas D introduces new assumption which is NOT related to the premise- Woodco emissions causes respiratory problems.
Hence E.
Assumption based on the argument wins the race.

In case you find my posts helpful, give me Kudos. Thank you.

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 35

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 74

Show Tags

New post 23 Sep 2017, 10:49
KyleWiddison wrote:
This question is essentially acting as a weaken question because it asks you to complete the part that describes why the result is "unlikely". We need to introduce new information to show why it is unlikely.

KW

thank you for all of your explanation,
unfortunately, I cannot understand why option D is wrong!
it brings another assumption which can add to the first claim and weaken the conclusion( so the ailment will not decline because not all of them are caused by plants' pollution)
there are a lot of this type answer choice in GMAT,

Another reason is that if now the number of plants are 100, addition 3 plants is negligible! it doesn't effect on the increase or decrease the pollution...

I really confused!

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 74

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 26

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2017, 02:12
soodia wrote:
KyleWiddison wrote:

KW

If we focus on the question stem a bit carefully, we can remove option D. Let me try to explain. :)

Which of the following most logically completes the passage?

A recent government study links the high rates of respiratory ailments in Groverston to airborne pollutants released by the Woodco plywood manufacturing plant there. To address the problem,
the government imposed strict regulations on emissions which will go into effect in four years. Although Woodco plans to cut its emissions in half two years ahead of schedule, it is unlikely that the rate of respiratory ailments will decline before the regulations go into effect, since _____________ .

Focus on the underlined part and now let us read Option D.

(D) not all respiratory ailments are caused by airborne pollutants

Now assume that there is another reason X that cause respiratory ailments. And this exists before and after the regulation.

So some ailments are caused by airbourne disease and some are caused by reason X.

Now the author assumes that before the regulation comes into the picture there would not a decline, let us understand, why?

Say airborne disease causes 100 ailments and after two years it causes 50 ailments. And reason X also causes 100 ailments.

Initially, there are total 200 ailments

Woodco reduces to 50 after two years, but there is no change in the number of ailments from X, so the total ailments ideally should be 150.

But as per the author, there should not be any decrease in the ailments...so what really happened here??

This means that something else must have happened to increase the ailments. Option E, gives me that reason, if new companies open, then the ailments would increase instead of decreasing and total ailments would be 150 + (the ailments caused by the other companies) > = 200

The point that I am trying to make is, even if there are other causes, they would remain the same even before and after the regulation, so if Woodco reduces the emission, then there should definitely be a reduction even before the regulation comes into the picture. The only reason there won't be a reduction if something additional comes up and causes more ailments.

Hope this helps.

Work Hard! Have Fun! Create History! :)

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 26

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 44

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2017, 21:52
This is a Find the assumption question in disguise. The "since" preceding the blank indicates an missing premise is needed, which is basically an assumption.

Give me kudos and see what happens to your GMAT score :-)

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 44

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2017, 22:17
I think D doesn't fit..because we're talking about only that particular company wood co...

Sent from my TIT-AL00 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: A recent government study links the high rates of respiratory ailments   [#permalink] 10 Oct 2017, 22:17

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 34 posts ] 

A recent government study links the high rates of respiratory ailments

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap