Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 09:54 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 09:54

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2293 [78]
Given Kudos: 6
 V25
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [8]
Given Kudos: 11
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.56
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3379 [6]
Given Kudos: 877
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
Schools: HBS '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 4
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [5]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Re: According to a theory advanced by researcher Paul Martin, the wave of [#permalink]
Kudos
For Question 3, how is B correct.
Krech himself acknowledges that Paleoindians used to hunt small animals, plants and insects but also says that it is not the only reason for their extinction.
Option B says that Discoveries indicate that humans made use of species that went extinct. This fact is acknowledged by Krech. It may be possible that humans made use of them but they went extinct through some other reason. How does it weaken Krech's theory ?

Infact Option C weakens Krech's theory. Climatic change occurred before and after but species didn't become extinct. This indicates that climatic change is not a strong reason for species extinction during Pleistocene era. Hence it weakens Krech's idea. Although intensity of climatic change May different hence this option is also not completely correct.

Posted from my mobile device
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2334 [5]
Given Kudos: 135
Concentration: Economics, Finance
Schools: IIMA (A)
GMAT Focus 1:
735 Q90 V85 DI85
GMAT Focus 2:
735 Q90 V85 DI85
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V47
GRE 1: Q170 V168
Send PM
Re: According to a theory advanced by researcher Paul Martin, the wave of [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Skywalker18 wrote:
aquaria wrote:
For 1), are we supposed to take Martin's exclusion of climate change in his theories as "denial"? It seems a little problematic.

Seems possible that Martin's exclusion of climate change may just be a situation where he thinks it isn't the most important factor (so he didn't see any reason to include it in his theory), rather than a flat out denial of climate change's impact on the extinction of Pleistocene species. And you can't categorically say that exclusion = denial.

It's like saying a zoologist who doesn't include climate change in their theory as to why the dodo bird went extinct DENIES the impact climate change (may) have had on our feathered friend's extinction.

Even I had views similar to those of aquaria as quoted above and ended up choosing A, though the word 'primarily' in A is a little strong.

According to a theory advanced by researcher Paul Martin, the wave of species extinctions that occurred in North America about 11,000 years ago, at the end of the Pleistocene era, can be directly attributed to the arrival of humans, i.e., the Paleoindians, who were ancestors of modern Native Americans. However, anthropologist Shepard Krech points out that large animal species vanished even in areas where there is no evidence to demonstrate that Paleoindians hunted them. - From the bolded part, can't we infer that Paleoindians hunted large animals at least in a few areas and that this idea is a part of Martin's theory ?

Q1: Which of the following is true about Martin’s theory, as that theory is described in the passage?

(A) It assumes that the Paleoindians were primarily dependent on hunting for survival. - I agree that primarily is a little strong here.
(B) It denies that the Pleistocene species extinctions were caused by climate change. - As per Martin, the wave of species extinctions can be directly attributed to the arrival of humans, i.e., the Paleoindians, who were ancestors of modern Native Americans, but this fact DOES NOT mean that there were no other causes.

Hello,

As usually the case, when you select an incorrect option, you have committed at least two errors in reasoning: your reasoning for rejecting the correct option and your reasoning for selecting the incorrect option both are wrong. So is the case here.

Skywalker18 wrote:
From the bolded part, can't we infer that Paleoindians hunted large animals at least in a few areas and that this idea is a part of Martin's theory?
No, we cannot infer this. The bolded part is pointed out by Krech. We don't even know whether Martin knew about or considered human hunting. (If you think that since Martin is attributing species extinctions to the arrivals of humans, he must be considering human hunting, I'll not agree with you. Species extinctions may not be a result of human hunting; extinctions may be a result of humans' playing with or destroying the nature, as is the case currently). Besides, if you ask me whether we can consider the bolded part a part of Krech's theory, I'll NOT say 'yes'. Why? Because Krech is just pointing out a fact. This is not his theory. However, frankly, it'll be difficult to reject it completely because Krech's theory might be based on this fact. But can you say that the facts on which your theory is based are part of your theory? I don't think so.

Aquaria's reasoning is incorrect because of the way he interprets 'exclusion' as used in the passage. If you think 'exclusion' just means that Martin did not study or consider climate change, the statement 'Krech also contradicts Martin's exclusion' wouldn't make any sense. How can you contradict the fact that someone did not study factor X? (Well, you can. However, that will lead to a very different meaning) You can, however, contradict the fact that X was not a factor in Y. Also, the statement "I am excluding climate change as an explanation for extinctions" does mean that I don't think climate change was the cause for extinctions. However, if I say that 'I am excluding climate change from my study", then it means that I'm not considering 'climate change' in my study. However, in this case, somebody contradicting my exclusion wouldn't make sense.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [3]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Kudos
aditi1903 wrote:
For question 1 : I am confused between A and B. both are true. Please help.

The problematic words in choice A are "primarily" and "for survival". Yes, Martin's theory assumes that Paleoindians hunted animals, but that's all you can say. Was it their "primary" food "for survival" ? Perhaps and is reasonable..BUT NOT stated in the passage. Also, the correctness of Martin's theory doesn't depend on it.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 438 [2]
Given Kudos: 489
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
TIME: 7 minutes

1. Excerpt from the passage: Krech also contradicts Martin's exclusion of climatic change as an explanation by asserting that widespread climatic change did indeed occur at the end of the Pleistocene
This means Martin proposed that climate change was not a factor in the extinction that occurred at the end of the Pleistocene.
Hence B
2. Excerpt from the passage: White observes that Martin's thesis depends on coinciding dates for the arrival of humans and the decline of large animal species, and Krech, though aware that the dates are controversial, does not challenge them
The last line of the passage provides additional support to white's theory that arrival humans had no role in the extinction. If the recent discoveries are true then humans had arrived much earlier than the time frame accepted by Martin and Krech. Therefore, we can infer that it is unlikely that humans had contributed to the extinction as envisioned by the researchers.
Hence E
3. Excerpt from the passage: Nor were extinctions confined to large animals: small animals, plants, and insects disappeared, presumably not all through human consumption
Option B weakens the above statement. If option B is correct then we could assume that humans indeed played a far greater role than what Krech thought, and hence weakens krech opposition to martin theory.
option B is the correct answer.
4. A ( straight and obvious)
Krech already states in the passage that " asserting that widespread climatic change did indeed occur at the end of the Pleistocene"

5. Excerpt from the passage: Anthropologist Shepard Krech points out that large animal species vanished even in areas where there is no evidence to demonstrate that Paleoindians hunted them. Nor were extinctions confined to large animals: small animals, plants, and insects disappeared, presumably not all through human consumption
Thus the statements above support the Krech theory that humans didn't play a primary role in the extinction, but rather a secondary role.
Hence D
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5652 [2]
Given Kudos: 416
Send PM
Kudos
P1- 2 theory on why extinction - one says hunting, other says something else (with evidence)
P2- 2 is contradicts 1; 3rd theory on archaeological discoveries contradicts facts from both theories.

Main point - Author is contradicting 2 theories with a 3rd one. evidences are given for that.
Tone - Modrate

Q1: Which of the following is true about Martin’s theory, as that theory is described in the passage?
What to do - First POE; look for answer in 1st para;
(A) It assumes that the Paleoindians were primarily dependent on hunting for survival. - No
(B) It denies that the Pleistocene species extinctions were caused by climate change. - because theory is depends upon given situation all other factors should be removed. Also all other choices can't be the answer.
(C) It uses as evidence the fact that humans have produced local extinctions in other situations. - No that is theory 2
(D) It attempts to address the controversy over the date of human arrival in North America. - theory 3
(E) It admits the possibility that factors other than the arrival of humans played a role in the Pleistocene extinctions. - theory2

----------------------------------------------------------

Q2: In the last sentence of the passage, the author refers to “recent archaeological discoveries” (lines 36-37) most probably in order to
(E) provide support for White’s questioning of both Martin’s and Krech’s positions regarding the role of Paleoindians in the Pleistocene extinctions - White is challenging both on Paleoindians ground, As both have given Paleoindians in their theories.

Q3: Which of the following, if true, would most weaken Krech’s objections to Martin’s theory?
objection is "animal species vanished even in areas where there is no evidence to demonstrate that Paleoindians hunted them".
pre-think - Two things can have different effects at same time extinction.

(B) New discoveries indicating that Paleoindians made use of the small animals, plants, and insects that became extinct - best of the lot.

Q4: The passage suggests that Krech would be most likely to agree with a theory of the Pleistocene species extinctions that
(A) included climate change as one of the causes of the extinctions - straight Ans
(B) incorporated a revised date for human arrival in North America - No
(C) eliminated the Paleoindians as a factor in the extinctions - not eliminated
(D) identified a single cause for the extinctions - No
(E) emphasized the role of hunting in causing most species extinctions - No

-----------------------------------------------------------

5. The passage mentions the extinction of species other than large animals (see highlighted text)[Nor were extinctions confined to large animals: small animals, plants, and insects disappeared] most probably in order to

(A) suggest that the Paleoindians were responsible for more extinctions than Martin's theory assumes - No
(B) provide support for the speculation that humans arrived in North America significantly earlier than the end of the Pleistocene era - No
(C) point out the only area in which Martin, Krech, and White agree concerning the circumstances of the Pleistocene extinctions - No
(D) cite additional evidence tending to support Krech's conclusions about the role of humans in the Pleistocene extinctions - Correct
(E) raise a question about the logical consistency of Krech's view of Martin's theory - No; opposite
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [2]
Given Kudos: 336
Schools: ISB '23 (S)
GMAT 1: 560 Q43 V23
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V33
GMAT 3: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
Kudos
Hi,

For Question 3 I selected the choice C.

Additional evidence indicating that widespread climatic change occurred not only at the end of the Pleistocene era but also in previous and subsequent eras

The reason for the same was that may be climate change was not responsible. There were such changes in the past and then extinctions did not occur. So probably factors other than climate change were responsible and this I thought is a better contradiction as compared to B.

Please let me know if my reasoning is correct. And why is B a better answer as compared to C.

Thank You
Sonal
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [1]
Given Kudos: 67
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V28
GPA: 4
Send PM
Kudos
origen87 wrote:
Kritesh wrote:
Hi mikemcgarry , daagh ,

Could you please explain me the answer choice for question 1 and question 3.

As per my understanding i selected the answer option A and D respectively.

"Krech also contradicts Martin's exclusion of climatic change as an explanation by asserting that widespread climatic change did indeed occur at the end of the Pleistocene."
(A) It assumes that the Paleoindians were primarily dependent on hunting for survival. -Martin never says that, it's Krech who brings hunting issue on board
(B) It denies that the Pleistocene species extinctions were caused by climate change. -Martin excluded climate change as a factor.

3. Krech objects to Martin's theory by saying that it primarily cannot be humans because animals have been extinct in places where there was no hunting.
(B) New discoveries indicating that Paleoindians made use of the small animals, plants, and insects that became extinct - Option B shows that indeed humans are the reason why the animals have become extinct.
(D) Researchers’ discoveries that many more species became extinct in North America at the end of the Pleistocene era than was previously believed -earlier data revealed that say 10 species went extinct, new research puts that number to 20. How does this weaken Krech's objection? This neither weakens nor strengthens.

Can you please elaborate on how the option B i.e.
(B) New discoveries indicating that Paleoindians made use of the small animals, plants, and insects that became extinct
shows that indeed humans are the reason why the animals have become extinct I mean the paleoindians could use them even if they become extinct by other means??
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 1190
Send PM
Kudos
origen87 wrote:
Kritesh wrote:
Hi mikemcgarry , daagh ,

Could you please explain me the answer choice for question 1 and question 3.

As per my understanding i selected the answer option A and D respectively.

"Krech also contradicts Martin's exclusion of climatic change as an explanation by asserting that widespread climatic change did indeed occur at the end of the Pleistocene."
(A) It assumes that the Paleoindians were primarily dependent on hunting for survival. -Martin never says that, it's Krech who brings hunting issue on board
(B) It denies that the Pleistocene species extinctions were caused by climate change. -Martin excluded climate change as a factor.

3. Krech objects to Martin's theory by saying that it primarily cannot be humans because animals have been extinct in places where there was no hunting.
(B) New discoveries indicating that Paleoindians made use of the small animals, plants, and insects that became extinct - Option B shows that indeed humans are the reason why the animals have become extinct.
(D) Researchers’ discoveries that many more species became extinct in North America at the end of the Pleistocene era than was previously believed -earlier data revealed that say 10 species went extinct, new research puts that number to 20. How does this weaken Krech's objection? This neither weakens nor strengthens.

anairamitch1804 I don't agree with option B for Question-3 because If Humans Indeed made use of Insects, animals and plants then it can not be inferred that they used at such scale which caused extinction. Instead option-E makes more sense because Krech has suggested than climate change occurred at the end of Pleistocene but if you move that date of Humans arrival and decline of species much before 11000 years then the time of climate change and time of ((human arrival and species decline)) doesn't overlap. so climate change in that case because irrelevant that's why I seriously doubt option-B
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4654 [1]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
According to a theory advanced by researcher Paul Martin, the wave of [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
imSKR wrote:
2. doesn’t agree completely with human as cause of their extinction (presumably not all through human consumption but humans have produced local extinctions elsewhere.

Hi imSKR,

1. Martin: humans were the primary cause of the extinctions ("the... extinctions... can be directly attributed to... humans")
2. Krech: humans were the secondary, but not primary, cause of the extinctions ("Still, Krech attributes secondary if not primary responsibility for the extinctions to the Paleoindians")
3. White: even secondary may not be correct ("even the attribution of secondary responsibility may not be supported by the evidence")

So it's better to look at Krech's position as "Paleoindians were not the primary cause of the extinctions". This is different from saying that Krech doesn't consider humans a cause of the extinction. So (2) is: "humans were the secondary, but not primary, cause of the extinctions". Let's take a look at that statement:

Humans were the secondary cause of the extinctions.

How likely is it that someone who agrees with "humans were the secondary cause of the extinctions" would agree with "humans were not in any way responsible for the extinctions"? That person would agree with "humans were not the primary cause of the extinctions", but not with "humans were not a factor in the extinctions".
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63672 [1]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply

Question 3

anoushki wrote:
sonalchhajed2019 wrote:
Hi,

For Question 3 I selected the choice C.

Additional evidence indicating that widespread climatic change occurred not only at the end of the Pleistocene era but also in previous and subsequent eras

The reason for the same was that may be climate change was not responsible. There were such changes in the past and then extinctions did not occur. So probably factors other than climate change were responsible and this I thought is a better contradiction as compared to B.

Please let me know if my reasoning is correct. And why is B a better answer as compared to C.

Thank You
Sonal

I had the same reasoning. Can any expert give their two cents on this?
Chiranjeevi GMATNinja

Quote:
Q3: Which of the following, if true, would most weaken Krech’s objections to Martin’s theory?

Let’s consider (C):

Quote:
(C) Additional evidence indicating that widespread climatic change occurred not only at the end of the Pleistocene era but also in previous and subsequent eras

All that (C) tells us is that widespread climate change occurred in previous and subsequent eras. Sure, the extinctions that took place at the end of the Pleistocene era did not take place in previous eras, but we don’t know whether similar species existed in similar conditions in those eras. It’s possible that the climate change at the end of the Pleistocene era was more severe or that the combination of climate change and the arrival of Paleoindians led to the extinction of many species. Krech simply argues that climate change took place and could bear at least some of the responsibility for the extinctions. Even with (C), this is still possible. So, (C) does not weaken Krech’s argument, and we can eliminate it.

And here’s (B):

Quote:
(B) New discoveries indicating that Paleoindians made use of the small animals, plants, and insects that became extinct

This directly contradicts Krech’s implied argument that the extinction of small animals, plants, and insects cannot be attributed to the arrival of Paleoindians. By showing how Paleoindians could, in fact, be responsible for the extinction of these species, (B) weakens Krech’s argument. So, (B) is correct.

I hope that helps!
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64936 [1]
Given Kudos: 427
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
DrWho wrote:

Between B and E,

Krech had 2 objections:
1. Extinctions were not confined to large animals and humans did not hunt smaller animals
2. Climate change not only had an impact but also was the primary reason.

B addresses #1.
However, doesn't E address #2?
If human arrival and extinction took place way before it was thought earlier, doesn't it imply that the new timeline does not match with climate change? (Kretch says "widespread climatic change did indeed occur at the end of the Pleistocene")

So, Istn't E a better option since it address that primary objection of Krech?

Martin: Species extinctions that occurred in North America about 11,000 years ago, at the end of the Pleistocene era, can be directly attributed to the arrival of humans. (Humans arrived at that time and hunted animals). Blame humans for extinction.

Krech: Extinctions happened even where humans were not hunting. Also humans were not hunting small animals. Climate is responsible too. Humans may have secondary responsibility.
Krech says nothing about dates.

White: Humans may not even have secondary responsibility. They arrived much earlier than 11000 yrs ago.

What is Krech's objection to Martin's theory? That even where humans did not hunt, animals went extinct. And that small animals etc went extinct too (presumably humans consumed large animals). So we cannot blame humans.

What will weaken Krech's objection? That humans used small animals etc in some way too. So this will explain how humans can be responsible for extinction of most animals. Answer (B)

Krech's objection to Martin's theory had nothing to do with dates. He knew that dates were controversial but he did not object on those grounds. We need to weaken Krech's objection only. So any data on dates will not weaken Krech's objections because Krech did not object on the dates.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64936 [1]
Given Kudos: 427
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
DrWho wrote:
Thanks for the response VeritasKarishma!

I'm still not getting one point.

As per your quotes,
"Krech: Extinctions happened even where humans were not hunting. Also humans were not hunting small animals. Climate is responsible too. Humans may have secondary responsibility.
Krech says nothing about dates. "

Krech says nothing about dates -> True. He said that climate change was responsible, and this climate change occurred at the end of Pleistocene.

Quoting exactly from passage,
"Krech also contradicts Martin's exclusion of climatic change as an explanation by asserting that widespread climatic change did indeed occur at the end of the Pleistocene"

By saying that extinction occurred before the end of the Pleistocene, we are implying that the climate change Krech is referring above, was not responsible for the extinction.

Question 1) What is the gap in the above logic?

Regarding the dates, passage states:
"Krech, though aware that the dates are controversial, does not challenge them"
"archaeological discoveries are providing evidence that the date of human arrival was much earlier than 11,000 years ago"

From the above statements, it seems like the date of human arrival is controversial. Sure, if humans arrived early and "extinction and climate change" occurred at the same time, we can say that the climate change caused the extinction. But option E also predates extinction.
It says "human arrival and extinction" occurred at the same time. Climate change occurred later.

Question 2) What is wrong with the above interpretation?

VeritasKarishma wrote:
DrWho wrote:

Between B and E,

Krech had 2 objections:
1. Extinctions were not confined to large animals and humans did not hunt smaller animals
2. Climate change not only had an impact but also was the primary reason.

B addresses #1.
However, doesn't E address #2?
If human arrival and extinction took place way before it was thought earlier, doesn't it imply that the new timeline does not match with climate change? (Kretch says "widespread climatic change did indeed occur at the end of the Pleistocene")

So, Istn't E a better option since it address that primary objection of Krech?

Martin: Species extinctions that occurred in North America about 11,000 years ago, at the end of the Pleistocene era, can be directly attributed to the arrival of humans. (Humans arrived at that time and hunted animals). Blame humans for extinction.

Krech: Extinctions happened even where humans were not hunting. Also humans were not hunting small animals. Climate is responsible too. Humans may have secondary responsibility.
Krech says nothing about dates.

White: Humans may not even have secondary responsibility. They arrived much earlier than 11000 yrs ago.

What is Krech's objection to Martin's theory? That even where humans did not hunt, animals went extinct. And that small animals etc went extinct too (presumably humans consumed large animals). So we cannot blame humans.

What will weaken Krech's objection? That humans used small animals etc in some way too. So this will explain how humans can be responsible for extinction of most animals. Answer (B)

Krech's objection to Martin's theory had nothing to do with dates. He knew that dates were controversial but he did not object on those grounds. We need to weaken Krech's objection only. So any data on dates will not weaken Krech's objections because Krech did not object on the dates.

DrWho - You are missing a critical point - The question says
"What would most weaken Krech’s objections to Martin’s theory?"

The question is not asking what will weaken Krech's theory. We need to weaken Krech's objection to Martin's theory.

What is Krech's objection to Martin's theory?
Martin's theory says that humans arrived and caused extinction of animals.
Krech says, "Martin, you are wrong. Extinctions happened even where humans were not present and extinctions of small animals also happened though humans did not hunt smaller animals."

Now, how do we weaken what Krech told Martin? By saying, "Krech, guess what, even if humans did not consume small animals, they used them for other things. So your point to Martin is not valid."

Martin excluded climate change from his theory i.e. did not say whether climate change could be responsible or not. We are not given that Martin said that climate change cannot be responsible. We are only given that he excludes it from his explanation. Krech brought up the point of climate change. He said that climate change could have a role to play since it happened at the end of that period.

We could go on to say, "Krech, by the way, you are wrong too. Both, arrival of humans and extinction of animals happened much before the end of that period."
But this would be how we will object to Krech's theory. This is not how we will object to Krech's objection of Martin's theory.

Hope the distinction is clear.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 697 [1]
Given Kudos: 81
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Namangupta1997 wrote:
ThatDudeKnows wrote:
Namangupta1997 wrote:
Hi ThatDudeKnows

I got question 2 wrong because the usage of the word "yet" after the semi-colon threw me off. While I agree with the OA, my question is about the usage of the word "yet". If we pay attention to the sentence structure of the last sentence, it begins with "White observes XYZ " and then there is a 'yet' followed by a mention of archeological discoveries. Isn't "yet" used normally used to show contrast or limitations to a certain argument? While the OA makes the perfect logical sense, I am not sure the usage of 'yet' is warranted here.

What am I missing?

Namangupta1997

I'm a fan that you're looking for transition and structure clue words, like "yet." That's a GREAT habit.

In this case, what if we re-write that long last sentence in either of the following ways...would either or both of these have led you to getting the question correct on your first pass? If so, add to your transition/structure word spotting the ability to notice the impact of punctuation!! You don't need to dig into the specific terms "compound sentences" and "complex sentences," but it's worthwhile to identify opportunities to break up GMAC's long sentences. Semicolons can almost always be replaced by period.

As written:
White observes that Martin's thesis depends on coinciding dates for the arrival of humans and the decline of large animal species, and Krech, though aware that the dates are controversial, does not challenge them; yet recent archaeological discoveries are providing evidence that the date of human arrival was much earlier than 11,000 years ago.

Revision one:
White observes that Martin's thesis depends on coinciding dates for the arrival of humans and the decline of large animal species., and Krech, though aware that the dates are controversial, does not challenge them; yet recent archaeological discoveries are providing evidence that the date of human arrival was much earlier than 11,000 years ago.

Revision two:
White observes that Martin's thesis depends on coinciding dates for the arrival of humans and the decline of large animal species, and. Krech, though aware that the dates are controversial, does not challenge them.; yYet recent archaeological discoveries are providing evidence that the date of human arrival was much earlier than 11,000 years ago.

ThatDudeKnows

I read both the versions of the revised sentence multiple times. Unfortunately, I am not able to grasp how the nuances in punctuation affect the meaning in this case. I'll still give it a shot :-

Rev 1 : It seems like the sentence starting with "yet" is written to give support to White's interpretation of Krech's theory. Or, simply put, it seems like an attack on Krech's theory. Not sure if I am right.

Rev 2 : "Yet" is preceded by a full stop. It is a new sentence. I am not sure which idea to connect it to now. Is it relating to White's interpretation of both the theories, just Krech's theory or it is a general statement?

Both the revisions and the original sentence seem too close. Ofcourse, if we understand the meaning of the given archeological discoveries, we can arrive at the answer. My question, though, still remains.
'Yet' is proving to be a real thorn in my understanding of the sentence structure.

Okay, if the structural cues are fuzzy, let's go back to the passage and focus on WHY that portion of the sentence might be there. Who would want or not want it to be included?

Martin: "wave of species extinctions...can be directly attributed to the arrival of humans"

Krech: Hang on, that's too strong, but I'm okay with saying humans had some impact.

White: You're both wrong. Martin depends on coinciding dates and Kretch ignores date-based controversy.

So, which of the three care(s) about what follows the "yet?" Who is supported? Whose theory is refuted by the new info? White likes it and the other two don't, which is what answer choice E offers.

I think you're well-served to continue keeping a keen watch for structure and transition words. This question might just serve as a reminder that, while they can be awesome clues, we can't lean so heavily on them that we aren't able to take a step back and look at the passage more holistically when there's ambiguity or uncertainty about a structure/transition.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [1]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
rbaral

It looks like Q3 has been pretty heavily discussed in page 2 of this thread. Can you take a look and then let us know if you have follow-up questions?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63672 [1]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
nikitathegreat wrote:
Nor were extinctions confined to large animals: small animals, plants, and insects disappeared, presumably not all through human consumption.

So, even Krech agrees that small animals population might have decreased due to human consumption. But humans may not be responsible for complete disappearance.

And option choice B says that humans are completely responsible for disappearance for small animals. Hence, option choice B weakens?

Yes, Krech would agree that human consumption may have contributed somewhat to the disappearance of the small animals, plants, and insects, but the "presumably not all through human consumption" part seems to go against Martin's theory.

In Q3, choice (B) indicates that the Paleoindians made use of the small animals, plants, and insects that became extinct. So even if the Paleoindians' consumption of those things was minimal, the Paleoindians' use of those things could have contributed significantly to their extinction.

(B) does not say that humans are COMPLETELY responsible for the disappearance of those things; regardless, it's enough to weaken Krech’s objections to Martin’s theory.

I hope that helps!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 296 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
Concentration: Strategic Management
Schools:La Martiniere for Boys
Send PM
Priyankur and Nitya,

Please explain your answers for 1.

I got A as answer because if that were not the case Shepard Krech would not have pointed out that large animal species vanished even in areas where there is no evidence to demon-
strate that Paleoindians hunted them
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 63 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
KanakGarg wrote:
Can someone extend help for 5D , it seems the highlighted text talks about the climatic effect, and not the human consumption was a factor.

Hi KanakGarg

Krech counters Martin's claim by saying that large animals vanished in areas where there are no signs of human hunting. So this cannot be the primary cause.

"However, anthropologist Shepard Krech points out that large animal species vanished even in areas where there is no evidence to demonstrate that Paleoindians hunted them.Nor were extinctions confined to large animals: small animals, plants, and insects disappeared, presumably not all through human consumption."

Further the author adds that leave alone large animals, even plants and insects vanished, now this cannot be the result of human hunting. So for sure its not human hunting. (The author just supports Kerch by adding these lines)
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13961 posts