GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Jun 2019, 19:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

According to scientists who monitored its path, an expanding cloud

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
B
WE: Operations (Commercial Banking)
Re: According to scientists who monitored its path, an expanding cloud  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jan 2019, 02:40
egmat wrote:
Jagwant01 wrote:

According to scientists who monitored its path, an expanding cloud of energized particles ejected from the Sun recently triggered a large storm in the magnetic field that surrounds Earth. which brightened the Northern Lights and also possibly knocking out a communications satellite.

(A) an expanding cloud of energized particles ejected from the Sun recently triggered a large storm in the magnetic field that surrounds Earth, which brightened the Northern Lights and also possibly knocking

(B) an expanding cloud of energized particles ejected from the Sun was what recently triggered a large storm in the magnetic field that surrounds Earth, and it brightened the Northern Lights and also possibly knocked

(C) an expanding cloud of energized particles ejected from the Sun recently triggered a large storm in the magnetic field that surrounds Earth, brightening the Northern Lights and possibly knocking

(D) a large storm in the magnetic field that surrounds Earth, recently triggered by an expanding cloud of energized particles, brightened the Northern Lights and it possibly knocked

(E) a large storm in the magnetic field surrounding Earth was recently triggered by an expanding cloud of energized particles, brightening the Northern Lights and it possibly knocked

I feel in option C the word " brightening" is modifying earth which is wrong. Can someone please point out where i am going wrong, and also what is the function of brightening in that sentence.

Hello Jagwant01,

I am not sure if your doubt still persists. Here is the explanation nonetheless. :-)

In Choice C, both brightening... and knocking... are modifiers that are placed after a clause and are preceded by a comma. Hence, they are comma + verb-ing modifiers that modify the action in the preceding clause.

Per the context of the sentence, brightening... and knocking... correctly modify the preceding action triggered. The sentence intends to say that an expanding clause triggered a large storm. This action led to two events. It brightened the Northern Lights and probably knocked out a communication satellite.

Now, the verb-ing modifiers that are not preceded by a comma act as noun modifiers and modify the preceding noun.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha

Hello Ma'am,

as per the context of the mentioned sentence, it is not the cloud, which both brightened the northern lights and knocked out the communication satellite, but the storm triggered by the cloud. As per the concept regarding the verb-ing modifier, the doer of the action in both the main clause and the ing- clause shall be the same. I think that choice C is incorrect in terms of meaning as the doer in both the clauses is the expanding cloud, which doesn't make any sense. I also understand the fact that option C is the only option with correct grammatical construction. However, I am still not convinced considering the meaning error that I just mentioned.

Kindly correct me if I'm wrong..
Manager
Manager
B
WE: Operations (Commercial Banking)
Re: According to scientists who monitored its path, an expanding cloud  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jan 2019, 02:43
egmat wrote:
Jagwant01 wrote:

According to scientists who monitored its path, an expanding cloud of energized particles ejected from the Sun recently triggered a large storm in the magnetic field that surrounds Earth. which brightened the Northern Lights and also possibly knocking out a communications satellite.

(A) an expanding cloud of energized particles ejected from the Sun recently triggered a large storm in the magnetic field that surrounds Earth, which brightened the Northern Lights and also possibly knocking

(B) an expanding cloud of energized particles ejected from the Sun was what recently triggered a large storm in the magnetic field that surrounds Earth, and it brightened the Northern Lights and also possibly knocked

(C) an expanding cloud of energized particles ejected from the Sun recently triggered a large storm in the magnetic field that surrounds Earth, brightening the Northern Lights and possibly knocking

(D) a large storm in the magnetic field that surrounds Earth, recently triggered by an expanding cloud of energized particles, brightened the Northern Lights and it possibly knocked

(E) a large storm in the magnetic field surrounding Earth was recently triggered by an expanding cloud of energized particles, brightening the Northern Lights and it possibly knocked

I feel in option C the word " brightening" is modifying earth which is wrong. Can someone please point out where i am going wrong, and also what is the function of brightening in that sentence.

Hello Jagwant01,

I am not sure if your doubt still persists. Here is the explanation nonetheless. :-)

In Choice C, both brightening... and knocking... are modifiers that are placed after a clause and are preceded by a comma. Hence, they are comma + verb-ing modifiers that modify the action in the preceding clause.

Per the context of the sentence, brightening... and knocking... correctly modify the preceding action triggered. The sentence intends to say that an expanding clause triggered a large storm. This action led to two events. It brightened the Northern Lights and probably knocked out a communication satellite.

Now, the verb-ing modifiers that are not preceded by a comma act as noun modifiers and modify the preceding noun.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha

Hello Ma'am,

as per the context of the mentioned sentence, it is not the cloud, which both brightened the northern lights and knocked out the communication satellite, but the storm triggered by the cloud. As per the concept regarding the verb-ing modifier, the doer of the action in both the main clause and the ing- clause shall be the same. I think that choice C is incorrect in terms of meaning as the doer in both the clauses is the expanding cloud, which doesn't make any sense. I also understand the fact that option C is the only option with correct grammatical construction. However, I am still not convinced considering the meaning error that I just mentioned.

Kindly correct me if I'm wrong..
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 10 Apr 2019, 02:26
EMPOWERgmatVerbal wrote:
Hello Everyone!

Let's tackle this question, one issue at a time, to find the correct choice! Before we dive in, here is the original question with any major differences between the options highlighted in orange:

According to scientists who monitored its path, an expanding cloud of energized particles ejected from the Sun recently triggered a large storm in the magnetic field that surrounds Earth, which brightened the Northern Lights and also possibly knocking out a communications satellite.

After a quick glance over the options, there are 2 main things we can focus on:

1. Modifiers (Are the scientists monitoring the cloud or the storm?)
2. Parallelism (brightened/brightening & knocked/knocking)

Let's start with #1 on our list: modifiers! We have to ask ourselves a couple questions to determine what order the modifiers should be in:

WHAT were the scientists monitoring?
and
WHAT brightened the Northern Lights and possibly knocked out a communications satellite?

We can tell by reading the sentence carefully that the scientists were monitoring THE CLOUD. This means the modifier "According to scientists who monitored its path" needs to come directly before the storm, which is what it's referring to! Let's see which options handle this correctly, and rule out those that don't:

We can rule out options D & E because they don't put the modifier next to what it's modifying.

Now that we're left with only 3 options, let's move on to #2 on our list: parallelism. There are two things that happened as a result of the large storm in Earth's magnetic field: the Northern Lights were brighter, and it possibly knocked out a communications satellite. These two need to be written using parallel structure! Let's see which ones do, and rule out those that don't:

(A) an expanding cloud of energized particles ejected from the Sun recently triggered a large storm in the magnetic field that surrounds Earth, which brightened the Northern Lights and also possibly knocking --> NOT PARALLEL

(B) an expanding cloud of energized particles ejected from the Sun was what recently triggered a large storm in the magnetic field that surrounds Earth, and it brightened the Northern Lights and also possibly knocked --> NOT PARALLEL

(C) an expanding cloud of energized particles ejected from the Sun recently triggered a large storm in the magnetic field that surrounds Earth, brightening the Northern Lights and possibly knocking --> PARALLEL

There you go - option C is the correct choice! It places the modifier next to what it's modifying, and it uses parallel structure for both effects at the end!

Don't study for the GMAT. Train for it.

Hi There,

Apologies in advance but I'm still unsure how we determined that the scientists were monitoring the cloud. I understand from the question that "an expanding cloud..." was placed after the first comma which lends itself nicely to this being the case...but is that the reason why we chose this? Furthermore, how do we determine what brightened the northern lights / possibly knocked out the satellites? If we sub in "an expanding cloud", this can make sense (i.e. it may be possible that a cloud of energized particles recently ejected from the sun brightened the northern lights and knocked out satellites)... but the storm cloud also makes sense in this case as well.

Overall just unsure. I initially picked C, then picked D and have all the regrets!

Thanks
VP
VP
P
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31

Show Tags

New post 10 Apr 2019, 04:29
YB101 wrote:
I initially picked C, then picked D and have all the regrets!

D would be incorrect for the following reasons:

i) Option D just completely forgoes the phrase ejected from the sun

ii) The use of it (in it possibly knocked) is at best redundant. The sentence could as well have been:

a large storm..brightened and possibly knocked..

Sentence Correction Nirvana available on Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 10 Apr 2019, 08:18
YB101 wrote:
Apologies in advance but I'm still unsure how we determined that the scientists were monitoring the cloud. I understand from the question that "an expanding cloud..." was placed after the first comma which lends itself nicely to this being the case...but is that the reason why we chose this? Furthermore, how do we determine what brightened the northern lights / possibly knocked out the satellites? If we sub in "an expanding cloud", this can make sense (i.e. it may be possible that a cloud of energized particles recently ejected from the sun brightened the northern lights and knocked out satellites)... but the storm cloud also makes sense in this case as well.

Overall just unsure. I initially picked C, then picked D and have all the regrets!

Thanks[/color][/b]

I am also confused. Were scientists monitoring the path of the cloud or the storm? Very confusing :?

GMATGuruNY
EducationAisle
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 11 Apr 2019, 22:22
GMATGuruNY wrote:
D and E: According to scientists who monitored its path, a large storm
Here, its seems to refer to a large storm, conveying that scientists monitored the path of A LARGE STORM.
Since the logical meaning of the original sentence is not retained, eliminate D and E.

Thanks GMATGuruNY. The thing is that to me, a "storm" is more logical to have a "path" (that can be monitored) than an "expanding cloud" (the cloud is just expanding, so what path can it have :? ).

That's what confused me.
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 640 Q46 V32

Show Tags

New post 25 Apr 2019, 16:40
What are the scientists monitoring 1) an expanding cloud or 2) a large storm? An expanding cloud, which triggered the magnetic field, was monitored by the scientists.

(A) an expanding cloud of energized particles ejected from the Sun recently triggered a large storm in the magnetic field that surrounds Earth, which brightened the Northern Lights and also possibly knocking- Earth did not brighten the Northern Lights

(B) an expanding cloud of energized particles ejected from the Sun was what recently triggered a large storm in the magnetic field that surrounds Earth, and it brightened the Northern Lights and also possibly knocked - It is ambiguous

(C) an expanding cloud of energized particles ejected from the Sun recently triggered a large storm in the magnetic field that surrounds Earth, brightening the Northern Lights and possibly knocking - Correct

(D) a large storm in the magnetic field that surrounds Earth, recently triggered by an expanding cloud of energized particles, brightened the Northern Lights and it possibly knocked- a large storm was not monitored

(E) a large storm in the magnetic field surrounding Earth was recently triggered by an expanding cloud of energized particles, brightening the Northern Lights and it possibly knocked - a large storm was not monitored
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 07 Jun 2019, 16:27
According to scientists who monitored its path, an expanding cloud of energized particles ejected from the Sun recently triggered a large storm in the magnetic field that surrounds Earth, which brightened the Northern Lights and also possibly knocking out a communications satellite.

(A) an expanding cloud of energized particles ejected from the Sun recently triggered a large storm in the magnetic field that surrounds Earth, which brightened the Northern Lights and also possibly knocking( Which referring to earth.Wrong)

(B) an expanding cloud of energized particles ejected from the Sun was what recently triggered a large storm in the magnetic field that surrounds Earth, and it brightened the Northern Lights and also possibly knocked( 1. was what recently: wordy and it?? Again It refers to ?) so wrong

(C) an expanding cloud of energized particles ejected from the Sun recently triggered a large storm in the magnetic field that surrounds Earth, brightening the Northern Lights and possibly knocking( Correct Answer)

(D) a large storm in the magnetic field that surrounds Earth, recently triggered by an expanding cloud of energized particles, brightened the Northern Lights and it possibly knocked( It refer to particles or lights Not Sure)So wrong.

(E) a large storm in the magnetic field surrounding Earth was recently triggered by an expanding cloud of energized particles, brightening the Northern Lights and it possibly knocked( It refer to particles or lights Not Sure)So wrong.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: According to scientists who monitored its path, an expanding cloud   [#permalink] 07 Jun 2019, 16:27

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 28 posts ] 

According to scientists who monitored its path, an expanding cloud

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics