Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 01:13 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 01:13

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 555-605 Levelx   Grammatical/Rhetorical Constructionx                           
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2389 [292]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [111]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 671 [82]
Given Kudos: 31
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V42
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
General Discussion
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4548 [2]
Given Kudos: 1228
Send PM
Re: According to United States census data, while there was about one-thir [#permalink]
Kudos
A. while there was about one-third of mothers with young children working outside the home in 1975, in 2000, almost two-thirds of those mothers were employed outside the home. - Incorrect - Subject Verb Agreement error - 'mothers' is plural. So 'there were' is the correct usage.

B. there were about one-third of mothers with young children who worked outside the home in 1975; in 2000, almost two-thirds of those mothers were employed outside the home - Incorrect - Meaning error - 'who' should refer to mothers and not children

C. in 1975 about one-third of mothers with young children worked outside the home; in 2000, almost two-thirds of such mothers were employed outside the home - Correct

D. even though in 1975 there were about one-third of mothers with young children who worked outside the home, almost two-thirds of such mothers were employed outside the home in 2000 - Incorrect - Same error as B

E. with about one-third of mothers with young children working outside the home in 1975, almost two-thirds of such mothers were employed outside the home in 2000 - Incorrect - Meaning error

Answer: C
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [2]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Re: According to United States census data, while there was about one-thir [#permalink]
Kudos
I had one issue with answer choice C.

From my knowledge a semicolon is used to separate two independent clauses, which can stand alone.

In choice C however after the semi colon the words 'two-thirds of such mothers' is relating this clause back to the first clause and therefore is not independent.

Could someone please explain the gap in my understanding.

Thanks in advance !!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4548 [5]
Given Kudos: 1228
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
DevS93 wrote:
I had one issue with answer choice C.

From my knowledge a semicolon is used to separate two independent clauses, which can stand alone.

In choice C however after the semi colon the words 'two-thirds of such mothers' is relating this clause back to the first clause and therefore is not independent.

Could someone please explain the gap in my understanding.

Thanks in advance !!

In 2000, almost two-thirds of mothers with young children worked were employed outside the home. --> The second clause can stand on its own and conveys the meaning without any dependency on the first clause. Also, if there are 2 independent clauses a pronoun in the 2nd independent clause can refer back to the noun in the first independent clause. Similarly, the usage of 'such mothers' refers back to 'mothers with young children'.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [0]
Given Kudos: 147
Send PM
Hi mikemcgarry, GMATNinjaTwo, GMATNinja, MagooshExpert Carolyn,
sayantanc2
VeritasPrepKarishma

I hesitate the choice between C and D,
eventually, i picked up D, because i thought the subject "one-third of women" follows "according to the United States census date" is illogical, i thought some date or some studies are according to the United States census date, rather than people are according to the United States census data

OA is C, I thought i must miss something, would you please elaborate further what should follows "according to ..."

Further more, are the following two sentences correct?
Based on the accounts of ancient observers, historians have pieced together a reasonably accurate picture of the original Greek Olympic Games
according to the accounts of ancient observers, historians have pieced together a reasonably accurate picture of the original Greek Olympic Games

Thanks in advance

Have a nice day
>_~

Originally posted by zoezhuyan on 30 Jun 2018, 03:18.
Last edited by zoezhuyan on 30 Jun 2018, 03:48, edited 1 time in total.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [10]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
zoezhuyan wrote:
Further more, are the following two sentences correct?
Based on the accounts of ancient observers, historians have pieced together a reasonably accurate picture of the original Greek Olympic Games
according to the accounts of ancient observers, historians have pieced together a reasonably accurate picture of the original Greek Olympic Games

Neither of those is correct. The first one implies that the historians are "based on" the accounts. This is something that would pass in everyday usage--we know that the historians' work, rather than the historians themselves--is what is based on the accounts. But technically, "based on" needs to modify a noun, and there's no correct noun for it to modify in your version. We'd need something like "Based on the accounts of ancient observers, historians' current understanding of the situation is that . . . "

The second one implies that the ANCIENT ACCOUNTS are telling us what historians are doing NOW. "According to X, Y is true" means that I know Y because X says so. So anything that starts with "According to ancient observers" needs to follow by telling us what happened in the past, NOT what people now think happened. Contrast that with the original q, which says "According to US census data." All we need after that is what is true about the US.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Given Kudos: 52
Send PM
Kudos
Could someone help me out with this?

Option C - "...one-third of mothers with young children worked outside the home..". The participle "worked" seems to again modify the young children and not the mother. Why is this considered correct but on the contrary using "working" makes it incorrect.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63671 [11]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Rahul0028 wrote:

Option C - "...one-third of mothers with young children worked outside the home..". The participle "worked" seems to again modify the young children and not the mother. Why is this considered correct but on the contrary using "working" makes it incorrect.

In (C) "worked" isn't a participle - it's the main verb of the clause. "In 1975 about one-third of mothers with young children worked outside the home." If we removed "worked" we clearly wouldn't have a complete sentence anymore. The "young children" are part of the prepositional phrase describing the mothers, and therefore cannot do double-duty as the subject of "worked" as well. (If you like jargon: the more technical way of saying this is that a noun cannot both be the object of a prepositional phrase and the main subject of the sentence.) It has to be the mothers who worked. So there's no ambiguity - or violation of child labor laws - here.

I hope that helps!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 51
Send PM
One additional reason why A, B, and D are out: use of word "there" without referring to a physical location. GMATNinja Is this actually a hard rule (=statement is definitely wrong) or more of a soft rule (=correct use sounds better, but can't reject statement without additional errors)? I feel its more like a soft rule. Thanks!
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63671 [6]

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
barryseal wrote:
One additional reason why A, B, and D are out: use of word "there" without referring to a physical location. GMATNinja Is this actually a hard rule (=statement is definitely wrong) or more of a soft rule (=correct use sounds better, but can't reject statement without additional errors)? I feel its more like a soft rule. Thanks!

For starters, there are very, very few "hard rules" that will ALWAYS apply on the GMAT. Subject-verb agreement is a "hard rule." I can't think of too many others -- most things presented online as "rules" have an exception of one sort or another.

In this particular case, the word "there" doesn't have to refer to a physical location at all. The phrase "there is" (or "there are" or "there were") just indicate that something exists. For example, if I say "there are several 11-month-olds who are capable of eating an entire avocado in a single sitting", I'm just saying that gluttonous 11-month-olds exist. (Not coincidentally, my 11-month-old is one of them. She makes dad proud with her epic appetite.) No physical location is needed or implied by the phrase "there is" or "there are."

For another example, check out this classic official question.

I hope this helps!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
Kudos
EducationAisle egmat

Can't modifiers "who" and verb-ing jump over adjective modifier "with young children"?

I know that these modifiers first have to modify young children and if it doesn't make sense then they can jump over. I would argue that modifying "young children" doesn't make sense so these modifiers can jump over and modify mothers.

From the discussion, it seems these modifiers can't jump over because it makes sense for these modifiers to modify "children"?

If the sentence was - mothers with glasses who worked outside/working outside...

So here it would jump over because "who" or "working" doesn't make ANY sense modifying glasses?

Also are all the above mentioned rules applicable to verb-ed modifiers?

Thank you
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
who can definitely jump over a prepositional phrase. However, we need to realize that this is not an ideal situation.

Hence, C is a better construct in this regard (in addition to other issues with B that have been discussed earlier in this thread).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
Rahul0028 wrote:

In (C) "worked" isn't a participle - it's the main verb of the clause. "In 1975 about one-third of mothers with young children worked outside the home." If we removed "worked" we clearly wouldn't have a complete sentence anymore. The "young children" are part of the prepositional phrase describing the mothers, and therefore cannot do double-duty as the subject of "worked" as well. (If you like jargon: the more technical way of saying this is that a noun cannot both be the object of a prepositional phrase and the main subject of the sentence.) It has to be the mothers who worked. So there's no ambiguity - or violation of child labor laws - here.

I hope that helps!

Hi GMATNinja/Other Experts
I used the following reasoning, apparently part of it from one of your post on a similar question perhaps, kindly englighten if it's correct.
A, B:"those mothers" is wrong as the same mothers are not the part of the two census in albeit two years mentioned
D, E: these two sentences are "run-on" as neither [color=#ff0000]"even though"
or "with" is a subordinator (if, unless, although, after, before, so on, so that, although, because) nor a [FANBOYS]

Moreover parallelism is also a problem in these options
A,E: "working" is not parallel with "were employed"
B, D: "who worked" is not parallel with "were employed", it must be "who were employed"

Also, the usage of "with" in E is not justified.

I was unable to see the reasoning of children working or mother working in my first glance.
[/color]
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63671 [2]

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
MAnkur wrote:
GMATNinja wrote:
Rahul0028 wrote:

I hope that helps!

Hi GMATNinja/Other Experts
I used the following reasoning, apparently part of it from one of your post on a similar question perhaps, kindly englighten if it's correct.
A, B:"those mothers" is wrong as the same mothers are not the part of the two census in albeit two years mentioned
D, E: these two sentences are "run-on" as neither [color=#ff0000]"even though"
or "with" is a subordinator (if, unless, although, after, before, so on, so that, although, because) nor a [FANBOYS]

Moreover parallelism is also a problem in these options
A,E: "working" is not parallel with "were employed"
B, D: "who worked" is not parallel with "were employed", it must be "who were employed"

Also, the usage of "with" in E is not justified.

I was unable to see the reasoning of children working or mother working in my first glance.
[/color]

Your reasoning for eliminating (A) and (B) is perfect - nice work!

Your reasoning for (D) and (E) isn't valid. "Even though" can link two clauses, so (D) isn't a run-on. "Even though John purchased nearly every toy in the store, his infant executed a successful coup when John returned home without any organic cheese bunnies." (Yes, organic cheese bunnies are a thing.)

And in (E) there's only one clause, so there's no run-on sentence.

Better to eliminate these options because their meanings are illogical - both make it sound as though the children are working outside the home, rather than their mothers.

I hope that helps!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
Send PM
Thanks as always! I could relate to the logical meaning highlighted. But can below reasoning as pointed earlier is valid and can be re-used elsewhere if not in this question.

Just one more doubt, is the parallelism reasoning valid?
A,E: working not parallel with were employed
B, D: who worked is not parallel with were employed, it must be who were employed for being parallel

I guess "with" in E suppose to imply if the US consensus data posses something and is thereby incorrect.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63671 [1]

Send PM