Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 20:22 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 20:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1210 [39]
Given Kudos: 34
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 640 [1]
Given Kudos: 61
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1189 [1]
Given Kudos: 172
GPA: 3.46
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 122 [1]
Given Kudos: 658
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Re: After the recent court rulings, commercial shark fishing and shark hun [#permalink]
Kudos
After the recent court rulings, commercial shark fishing and shark hunting will resume in Diamond Bay. Many citizens of the communities around the bay have hailed this move, believing that a decrease in sharks will lead to an increase in all smaller fish, including the endangered Green-Gilled Silverfish, whose only ecosystem is within Diamond Bay. Ecologists, though, disagree, pointing out that a decrease in sharks will lead to a surge in Sea Lions, which are the principal predator of the Green-Gilled Silverfish.

In the argument given, the two portions in boldface play which of the following roles?

A) The first provides support for conclusion of the argument; the second states that conclusion. the first underlies the belief of the citizens. There's other evidence that supports the main conclusion
B) The first describes evidence that has been taken as supporting a conclusion; the second states a contrary conclusion that is the main conclusion of the argument. I agree that this one is not entirely clear but the best from all. As said in the above, the first is the ground for the claim of the citizens. The second I would say is evidence but never mind - undermine the claim of the citizens
C) The first is an opinion that the argument opposes; the second is evidence inconsistent with the conclusion of the argument. the first is a fact: ruling that allows to hunt sharks
D) The first describes the circumstances that the argument as a whole seeks to explain; the second gives the explanation that the argument seeks to establish while it could treated as circumstance, the main conclusion is about refuting the belief of the citizens and not explaining some fact
E) The first describes the circumstances that the argument as a whole seeks to explain; the second provides evidence in support of the explanation that the argument seeks to establish. while it could treated as circumstance, the main conclusion is about refuting the belief of the citizens and not explaining some fact
Re: After the recent court rulings, commercial shark fishing and shark hun [#permalink]
Kudos
I've a problem in understanding the Bold-face. Please explain how do we come to this answer?
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 640 [0]
Given Kudos: 61
Send PM
i do not think that B can be the answer !!
the main conclusion of the argument is that the "Ecologists" are disagreeing with the the ideas mentioned previously and the bold portion is an explanation as why they are disagreeing . the bold portion is not the main conclusion but the reasoning behind the main conclusion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1189 [0]
Given Kudos: 172
GPA: 3.46
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
I selected B and here is why I felt B as the right answer

The first - commercial shark fishing and shark hunting will resume in Diamond Bay- describes evidence that has been taken as supporting a conclusion- Many citizens hailed the move believing that a decrease in sharks will lead to an increase in all smaller fish, including the endangered Green-Gilled Silverfish, whose only ecosystem is within Diamond Bay ;the second - a decrease in sharks will lead to a surge in Sea Lions, which are the principal predator of the Green-Gilled Silverfish- states a contrary conclusion that is the main conclusion of the argument.

2nd bold face is indeed the main conclusion of the argument even though it might be the conclusion of the Ecologists that is contrary to the conclusion of many citizens.

aditya8062 wrote:
i do not think that B can be the answer !!
the main conclusion of the argument is that the "Ecologists" are disagreeing with the the ideas mentioned previously and the bold portion is an explanation as why they are disagreeing . the bold portion is not the main conclusion but the reasoning behind the main conclusion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1210 [2]
Given Kudos: 34
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
Send PM
Bookmarks
mba1382 wrote:
I still feel the answer is correct as per my reasoning though I am no expert. So I might be missing something as you said always remember that all conclusions are based on some facts and evidence (reasoning).

I suppose Mike will be right person to comment to guide you more on this :-)

aditya8062 wrote:
Quote:
2nd bold face is indeed the main conclusion of the argument even though it might be the conclusion of the Ecologists that is contrary to the conclusion of many citizens.

if second bold face is indeed the conclusion then what is the reasoning of that conclusion? .in other words what is the evidence of that conclusion ?
if you ask yourself the above mentioned question then u will realize that the reasoning of the main conclusion ( ecologist disagreeing with some ideas) is the following: a decrease in sharks will lead to a surge in Sea Lions, which are the principal predator of the Green-Gilled Silverfish.

always remember that all conclusions are based on some facts and evidence (reasoning).
BTW is this gmat prep question?
@aditya8062, This is a problem from Magoosh. I hope that can be known from the tags.

I got an answer from Magoosh faculty(Kevin) on my questions. Here is verbatim response from Kevin:

How do first part of choices A and B differ?

Let's take a look at the first parts of those answers:
(A) The first provides support for conclusion of the argument;
(B) The first describes evidence that has been taken as supporting a conclusion;
Now these are really similar. The key here is knowing what the final conclusion of this argument it is. We have to read the whole passage to see that there is one conclusion made by the citizens and then another conclusion made by Ecologists. Since the Ecologists conclusion comes at the end, we have to assume this is the final conclusion of the argument.

Once we know this, we can see that (B) is a little bit better since it hints at the fact that there are two conclusions and that one of them used this bolded sentence to support their conclusion. Nothing in (A) is necessarily wrong. It doesn't contain this extra detail so it is not as good as (B).

Are the second parts of choices D and E wrong? How do second parts of D and E differ?

Alright, let's take a look at these now:
(D) the second gives the explanation that the argument seeks to establish
(E) the second provides evidence in support of the explanation that the argument seeks to establish.'
So we can say that (E) is wrong because it says that the second bolded statement "provides evidence." When someone says "will ..." in their sentence, they are not presenting evidence, they are making a claim. This should be read as a conclusion. So the second part of (E) is wrong for this reason.

Looking at (D), we can see that it is different. It does not make the same claim that (E) does about "providing evidence." So they are different. But (E) is wrong for another reason. The argument is making a claim. There is a conclusion being drawn here. (D) makes it sound like the second bolded sentence is an explanation. Now we need to be clear. What is the difference between and "explanation" and a "conclusion"? A conclusion is a claim supported by evidence. An "explanation" is a description of something. An explanation could be a conclusion but generally it is not, especially in the context of an argument. And explanation will be more objective and more descriptive.

This question might need to be revised. I can see that there are some subtle differences in these answer choices that make this question a little ambiguous.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 139 [0]
Given Kudos: 103
Concentration: Strategy, Leadership
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.94
Send PM
I think it must be B. This is how I thought it through: the first part is a premise/evidence for conclusion A that decreasing sharks will increase these fish. However, the main conclusion is that decrease sharks will lead to decreasing these fish (contrary to first conclusion).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 344 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT Date: 12-26-2014
GPA: 3
Send PM
I marked A because I was not very clear about the conclusion of the argument.
It seems to be that there are two POV's one of citizen's and other of Ecologists. There were no Keywords to find a conclusion.
I am not able to digest that in case of two POV's, the one which comes later should be a conclusion.

Quote:
A) The first provides support for conclusion of the argument; the second states that conclusion.
B) The first describes evidence that has been taken as supporting a conclusion; the second states a contrary conclusion that is the main conclusion of the argument.

Out of the above 2 , A should be the answer because it is true always and is independent of whatever the conclusion is !
It doesn't ask to point out the conclusion(be it main or counter which itself is not well defined in the first place)
However, B forces you to make a decision about the conclusion.

Can somebody please enlighten me ?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 170 [0]
Given Kudos: 342
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Send PM
I don't think B should be the answer

B) The first describes evidence that has been taken as supporting a conclusion; the second states a contrary conclusion that is the main conclusion of the argument.

commercial shark fishing and shark hunting will resume in Diamond Bay. --> it is not evidence. By definition, evidence is a fact and it should be conveyed in past or present, for sure not in future.

a decrease in sharks will lead to a surge in Sea Lions, which are the principal predator of the Green-Gilled Silverfish --> it is not the contrary conclusion, contrary conclusion is that decrease in sharks will not lead to an increase in all smaller fish.

Should be D IMO.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 170 [0]
Given Kudos: 342
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Send PM
VarunBhardwaj wrote:
I marked A because I was not very clear about the conclusion of the argument.
It seems to be that there are two POV's one of citizen's and other of Ecologists. There were no Keywords to find a conclusion.
I am not able to digest that in case of two POV's, the one which comes later should be a conclusion.

Quote:
A) The first provides support for conclusion of the argument; the second states that conclusion.

Out of the above 2 , A should be the answer because it is true always and is independent of whatever the conclusion is !
It doesn't ask to point out the conclusion(be it main or counter which itself is not well defined in the first place)
However, B forces you to make a decision about the conclusion.

Can somebody please enlighten me ?

it cant be A for the same reason I stated above.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 715 [1]
Given Kudos: 39
Send PM