Last visit was: 21 May 2024, 05:26 It is currently 21 May 2024, 05:26
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 555-605 Level,    Comparisons,                
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7793 [1]
Given Kudos: 56
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 182
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V33
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6896 [1]
Given Kudos: 500
Re: Architects and stonemasons, huge palace and temple clusters were built [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
ashmit99 wrote:
jitendra wrote:
Architects and stonemasons, huge palace and temple clusters were built by the Maya without benefit of the wheel or animal transport.

(A) huge palace and temple clusters were built by the Maya without benefit of the wheel or animal transport

(B) without the benefits of animal transport or the wheel, huge palace and temple clusters were built by the Maya

(C) the Maya built huge palace and temple clusters without the benefit of animal transport or the wheel

(D) there were built, without the benefit of the wheel or animal transport, huge palace and temple clusters by the Maya

(E) were the Maya who, without the benefit of the wheel or animal transport, built huge palace and temple clusters

Hello GMATNinja AjiteshArun VeritasKarishma AndrewN Skywalker18

I agree with all the problems mentioned above. I wanted to know whether we have a problem with "without the benefit of the wheel or animal transport" in option E. I think there's a problem as in option E it acts as a non-essential modifier. However, this fragment is essential for the meaning of the sentence. Am I correct? If not, could you please correct me?
Thanking you in advance!

Hello, ashmit99. Yes, in (E), the prepositional phrase in question is non-essential, but believe it or not, it could be used as such to emphasize how remarkable was the achievement of the Maya. The commas force the reader to pause, and those two pauses can create anticipation. In a standalone sentence, I could easily see the same notion conveyed in the following manner:

The Maya, without [even] the benefit of the wheel or animal transport, built huge palace and temple clusters.

I would not think twice about the above sentence. Be careful not to conflate non-essential with unimportant. The bigger issue with (E) is that we start off on the wrong foot:

Quote:
Architects and stonemasons, were the Maya...

Since we cannot negotiate the comma after the opening phrase, we are expecting a noun that pairs with architects and stonemasons to follow the comma, and instead we get a verb. I suppose if you were into Yoda-speak, you could invert a subject and its object, but even then, there would be no comma between object and verb:

Architects and stonemasons were the Maya...

I hope that helps clarify your concerns. Thank you for thinking to ask.

- Andrew
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Architects and stonemasons, huge palace and temple clusters were built [#permalink]
AndrewN wrote:
ashmit99 wrote:
jitendra wrote:
Architects and stonemasons, huge palace and temple clusters were built by the Maya without benefit of the wheel or animal transport.

(A) huge palace and temple clusters were built by the Maya without benefit of the wheel or animal transport

(B) without the benefits of animal transport or the wheel, huge palace and temple clusters were built by the Maya

(C) the Maya built huge palace and temple clusters without the benefit of animal transport or the wheel

(D) there were built, without the benefit of the wheel or animal transport, huge palace and temple clusters by the Maya

(E) were the Maya who, without the benefit of the wheel or animal transport, built huge palace and temple clusters

I agree with all the problems mentioned above. I wanted to know whether we have a problem with "without the benefit of the wheel or animal transport" in option E. I think there's a problem as in option E it acts as a non-essential modifier. However, this fragment is essential for the meaning of the sentence. Am I correct? If not, could you please correct me?
Thanking you in advance!

Hello, ashmit99. Yes, in (E), the prepositional phrase in question is non-essential, but believe it or not, it could be used as such to emphasize how remarkable was the achievement of the Maya. The commas force the reader to pause, and those two pauses can create anticipation. In a standalone sentence, I could easily see the same notion conveyed in the following manner:

The Maya, without [even] the benefit of the wheel or animal transport, built huge palace and temple clusters.

I would not think twice about the above sentence. Be careful not to conflate non-essential with unimportant. The bigger issue with (E) is that we start off on the wrong foot:

Quote:
Architects and stonemasons, were the Maya...

Since we cannot negotiate the comma after the opening phrase, we are expecting a noun that pairs with architects and stonemasons to follow the comma, and instead we get a verb. I suppose if you were into Yoda-speak, you could invert a subject and its object, but even then, there would be no comma between object and verb:

Architects and stonemasons were the Maya...

I hope that helps clarify your concerns. Thank you for thinking to ask.

- Andrew

Thank you for the prompt response AndrewN

I have a follow-up question. Please see if you can help me on this. I would understand in case you don't help on unofficial questions.

1. Architects and stonemasons, the Maya built huge palace and temple clusters without the benefit of animal transport or the wheel.

2. Architects and stonemasons, the Maya, without the benefit of animal transport or the wheel, built huge palace and temple clusters.

If you have choice between 1 and 2, then you wouldn't reject either? Or would you choose 1 because of the better quality?

Thank you!
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6896 [1]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos
Expert Reply
ashmit99 wrote:

I have a follow-up question. Please see if you can help me on this. I would understand in case you don't help on unofficial questions.

1. Architects and stonemasons, the Maya built huge palace and temple clusters without the benefit of animal transport or the wheel.

2. Architects and stonemasons, the Maya, without the benefit of animal transport or the wheel, built huge palace and temple clusters.

If you have choice between 1 and 2, then you wouldn't reject either? Or would you choose 1 because of the better quality?

Thank you!

Hello again, ashmit99. Of the two sentences above, if I had to choose on a Sentence Correction question, I would go with the first one. Why? Because it is more direct in its usage of a subject-verb construct after the comma—the Maya built something—whereas the second sentence delays this vital information with a phrase interruptor. Still, I would not disfavor the second in a non-GMAT™ setting.

I hope that helps. I have to run to my next lesson (in one minute)!

- Andrew
Manager
Manager
Send PM
AndrewN wrote:
ashmit99 wrote:

Thank you!

Hello again, ashmit99. Of the two sentences above, if I had to choose on a Sentence Correction question, I would go with the first one. Why? Because it is more direct in its usage of a subject-verb construct after the comma—the Maya built something—whereas the second sentence delays this vital information with a phrase interruptor. Still, I would not disfavor the second in a non-GMAT™ setting.

I hope that helps. I have to run to my next lesson (in one minute)!

- Andrew

Awesome! Thank for helping me out, AndrewN
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 65401 [1]
Given Kudos: 431
Send PM
Architects and stonemasons, huge palace and temple clusters were built [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
ashmit99 wrote:
jitendra wrote:

Thanking you in advance!

We normally don't use the terms essential/non essential with prepositional phrases.

The Maya built A without B.
and
The Maya, without B, built A.

mean the same. The commas are used because we are interrupting the flow of the sentence. It emphasises "without B".
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
jitendra wrote:

C makes the most sense as a sentence but it looks like there's a typo in transcription of the question.
Own Kudos [?]: 7793 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
brianmontanaweb

What typo are you seeing?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Architects and stonemasons, huge palace and temple clusters were built [#permalink]
DmitryFarber wrote:
brianmontanaweb

What typo are you seeing?

DmitryFarber

Architects and stonemasons, the Maya built huge palace and temple clusters without the benefit of animal transport or the wheel.

According to the passage the word should be "the Maya" => "the Mayas"
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [2]
Given Kudos: 639
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
brianmontanaweb wrote:
According to the passage the word should be "the Maya" => "the Mayas"

Hi brianmontanaweb,

The Maya is also correct, and as it's what the original question (OG 10, 11) goes with, there's no typo here.
Own Kudos [?]: 7793 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
brianmontanaweb

When referring to indigenous groups, it's common to use the same form for singular, plural, and modifier. So we see "the Apache, "the Hopi," etc. However, there is some variation. Many dictionaries include plural variants, and some groups, such as "the Aztecs," are typically pluralized with an -s. In any case, this one is correct as written and matches the original question.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
I have an issue with the placement of Without in answer C.

As stated in the options C, doesn’t « without » modify « temple clusters »?

I thought that the separation of the verb « built » from the modifier « without » by the object «  palace and temple clusters », would  change the meaning?

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 639
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Expert Reply
HoustonRocks wrote:
I have an issue with the placement of Without in answer C.

As stated in the options C, doesn’t « without » modify « temple clusters »?

I thought that the separation of the verb « built » from the modifier « without » by the object «  palace and temple clusters », would  change the meaning?

Hi HoustonRocks,

We can find ambiguity in even relatively simple sentences if we look hard enough, but a little ambiguity is not an absolute error. In this question, we must ask ourselves whether option C is better than the other options. We see some major problems in the other options, and that's why option C is correct. We can't remove C just because the without in C could refer to huge palace and temple clusters. Not unless we're unable to find bigger errors in the other options.
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
HoustonRocks

Don't expect an adverbial modifier to be adjacent to the verb it modifies. It's quite normal to see a separation. This is mainly because verbs are so often followed by objects, and these objects may have their own noun modifiers, which do generally need to touch the noun they modify. Consider this example:

When the I noticed that the child in front of me was sneezing without covering his mouth, I headed to the rear of the bus without delay.

Here, "without delay" is modifying the verb "headed." We could also say it's modifying the entire verb phrase: "headed to the rear of the bus." I could in theory say "I headed without delay to the rear of the bus," but this is by no means necessary or standard.

Now let's look at another case:

I opened the door to the cellar with the key my sister gave me.

Notice that here, it would not work at all to place the modifier next to the verb: "I opened with the key my sister gave me the door to the cellar." In some rare cases, we might manage a construction like this by setting the adverbial modifier off with commas, but this is a pro move that doesn't work well in all scenarios, and is usually only deployed when it is important for some reason to stress the modifier up front: "Do not, even in the case of an extreme emergency, call this number."

Notice also that we don't need to worry about ambiguity in the two italicized examples. A bus can't be "without delay" any more than a cluster of buildings can be "without the benefit of animal transport." And while we might imagine some valid meaning of "the cellar with the key," it makes much more sense to apply "with the key" to the verb.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 738
WE:Account Management (Hospitality and Tourism)
Send PM

How do the following two forms differ in meaning?

Given sentence: "without benefit of the wheel or animal transport"
Correct option (C): "without the benefit of animal transport or the wheel"

Please correct me if I am wrong:

The given sentence implies:
without the benefit of the wheel, or
without the benefit of animal transport

Whereas, the correct option (C) implies:
without the benefit of the animal transport, or
without the wheel

If my interpretation is correct, how do we know which one makes more sense from the meaning standpoint?

I don't see a single explanation in this thread talking about this. Maybe I am on the wrong track.
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Pankaj0901

Both versions mean the same thing. Generally, we can treat the negation of OR statements in mathematical terms. When we say "without X or Y" or "not X or Y," it means -(X or Y), which means -X and -Y. In other words, "without X or Y" means "without X and without Y." We don't have either one.

This generally applies to words that directly imply negation, such as without/not, including negated verbs. For instance, if I say "I don't like mayonnaise or olives," it means that I don't like either one. However, words that denote absence, such as "lack" or "missing," do not work the same way. If I say "All of the donated cars lacked tires or windows," it means that they were missing at least one of those things. But if I say "None of the cars had tires or windows," it means that all the cars lacked both tires AND windows.

I hope that helps!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 738
WE:Account Management (Hospitality and Tourism)
Send PM
Thank you DmitryFarber - this is insightful.

However, my query, which I think I failed to communicate properly, was slightly different. Please allow me to re-phrase it below.

Given Sentence:
Phrase: without benefit of the wheel or animal transport
My understanding: "the wheel" is parallel with "animal transport".
That is,
...without benefit of the wheel, AND without benefit of animal transport

Choice (C):
Architects and stonemasons, the Maya built huge palace and temple clusters without the benefit of animal transport or the wheel
Phrase: without the benefit of animal transport or the wheel
My understanding: "the benefit of animal transport" is parallel with "the wheel".
That is,
...without the benefit of animal transport, AND without the wheel

My rationale: In choice (C), we have "the" before both the parallel entities, implying what entities are parallel without any ambiguity. Whereas, in the given sentence, it is a bit unclear if "benefit of" is the stem of the just one entity or both entities. Moreover, from the meaning standpoint, I couldn't figure our any difference that would make me conclude which sentence conveys the logical meaning.

Request you to please shed some light on this. Thank you!

DmitryFarber wrote:
Pankaj0901

Both versions mean the same thing. Generally, we can treat the negation of OR statements in mathematical terms. When we say "without X or Y" or "not X or Y," it means -(X or Y), which means -X and -Y. In other words, "without X or Y" means "without X and without Y." We don't have either one.

This generally applies to words that directly imply negation, such as without/not, including negated verbs. For instance, if I say "I don't like mayonnaise or olives," it means that I don't like either one. However, words that denote absence, such as "lack" or "missing," do not work the same way. If I say "All of the donated cars lacked tires or windows," it means that they were missing at least one of those things. But if I say "None of the cars had tires or windows," it means that all the cars lacked both tires AND windows.

I hope that helps!
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63952 [1]
Given Kudos: 1789
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Pankaj0901 wrote:

How do the following two forms differ in meaning?

Given sentence: "without benefit of the wheel or animal transport"
Correct option (C): "without the benefit of animal transport or the wheel"

Please correct me if I am wrong:

The given sentence implies:
without the benefit of the wheel, or
without the benefit of animal transport

Whereas, the correct option (C) implies:
without the benefit of the animal transport, or
without the wheel

If my interpretation is correct, how do we know which one makes more sense from the meaning standpoint?

I don't see a single explanation in this thread talking about this. Maybe I am on the wrong track.

There's no reason you can't include "the benefit" with the second part of the parallel list in (C):

1) the benefit of animal transport
    2) the benefit of the wheel

Besides, the inclusion or omission of "the benefit" doesn't change the meaning all that much -- if they built the stuff without the wheel, then obviously they built the stuff without the benefit of the wheel. It's a relatively inconsequential thing that comes up in both (A) and (C), so we can't really use that as a decision point.

The bigger issue with (A) is that it makes it seem as though the opening modifier ("Architects and stonemasons") describes "huge palace and temple clusters." In (C), it's much clearer that the opening modifier goes with the subject that comes right after the comma ("the Maya"), and that makes a lot more sense.

I hope that helps!
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6929 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts