Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 12:03 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 12:03

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 555-605 Levelx   Comparisonsx               
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7777 [1]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [1]
Given Kudos: 104
GMAT 1: 610 Q41 V33 (Online)
GMAT 2: 650 Q47 V33 (Online)
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 39
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 54
Send PM
Re: Architects and stonemasons, huge palace and temple clusters were built [#permalink]
I was confused between C and E. I noticed the meaning difference between the two, figured the difference in meaning between the two but felt that both the meanings though different could work. selected C because of the more conventional construction but still wasn't confident about my answer. can someone explain what is wrong with E.
Target Test Prep Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 507 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Architects and stonemasons, huge palace and temple clusters were built [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Jayantalawadhi wrote:
I was confused between C and E. I noticed the meaning difference between the two, figured the difference in meaning between the two but felt that both the meanings though different could work. selected C because of the more conventional construction but still wasn't confident about my answer. can someone explain what is wrong with E.

The comma placement is problematic. A comma does not belong between the subject and verb of a simple sentence ("Architects and stonemasons were...")

Also, "Architects and stonemasons were the Maya" is the wrong way to write that sentence. That phrasing implies that architects and stonemasons, in general, belonged to the Maya tribes.

More generally, "X is/are/was/were Y" is NOT the same statement as "Y is/as/was/were X". This type of statement is a generalization about its subject.
E.g., Snakes are reptiles (a generalization about snakes) is a true statement. Reptiles are snakes (a generalization about reptiles), on the other hand, is false.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Architects and stonemasons, huge palace and temple clusters were built [#permalink]
RonTargetTestPrep wrote:
Jayantalawadhi wrote:

The comma placement is problematic. A comma does not belong between the subject and verb of a simple sentence ("Architects and stonemasons were...")

Also, "Architects and stonemasons were the Maya" is the wrong way to write that sentence. That phrasing implies that architects and stonemasons, in general, belonged to the Maya tribes.

More generally, "X is/are/was/were Y" is NOT the same statement as "Y is/as/was/were X". This type of statement is a generalization about its subject.
E.g., Snakes are reptiles (a generalization about snakes) is a true statement. Reptiles are snakes (a generalization about reptiles), on the other hand, is false.

Now it makes sense. The snake example cleared it up for me. Thank you so much sir.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
RonTargetTestPrep wrote:
Jayantalawadhi wrote:

Hello sir I thought about X is Y example. We often say that ' The architects are American.', which implies that we are talking about a group of architects who are American. So is it an oversight that we make in spoken english?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4656 [0]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Expert Reply
Jayantalawadhi wrote:
Hello sir I thought about X is Y example. We often say that ' The architects are American.', which implies that we are talking about a group of architects who are American. So is it an oversight that we make in spoken english?

Hi Jayantalawadhi,

Adding a the changes the meaning of the sentence. The question doesn't do anything to make architects and stonemasons more specific, so your example should be "Architects were Americans". Another, somewhat similar, example: "Indians were mathematicians" vs. "mathematicians were Indians". The first is idiomatically acceptable, but the second one gives us the wrong meaning.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
AjiteshArun wrote:
Jayantalawadhi wrote:

Hi Jayantalawadhi,

Adding a the changes the meaning of the sentence. The question doesn't do anything to make architects and stonemasons more specific, so your example should be "Architects were Americans". Another, somewhat similar, example: "Indians were mathematicians" vs. "mathematicians were Indians". The first is idiomatically acceptable, but the second one gives us the wrong meaning.

Oh okay makes sense. Thank you so much.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 100 [0]
Given Kudos: 295
Send PM
Why, if we dropp off what is in between commas , as a positive, not say that, " Architects ans macons, ...built huge palace and temple clusters"? Why is that Incorrect?
Is it because tha we droped out the essential modifier of " Without weel ..." ?
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [1]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Fido10 wrote:
Why, if we dropp off what is in between commas , as a positive, not say that, " Architects ans macons, ...built huge palace and temple clusters"? Why is that Incorrect?
Is it because tha we droped out the essential modifier of " Without weel ..." ?

Hello Fido10,

We hope this finds you well.

To answer your query, yes; Option E incorrectly places information important to the core meaning of the sentence - that the Maya built the clusters without the benefit of animal transport or the wheel - between two commas; remember, information that is important to the core meaning of the sentence must never be placed between commas.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 2218
GMAT 1: 620 Q45 V30
Send PM
what kind of sentence C is?
1. An obidient guy, Ram has gone to wild.
2. An obidient guy, Ram, has gone to wild.
Which one is correct sentence? Please notice comma after and before Ram on second sentence. I thougt second one is coorect...

Posted from my mobile device
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Expert Reply
AbhishekDhanraJ72 wrote:
what kind of sentence C is?
1. An obidient guy, Ram has gone to wild.
2. An obidient guy, Ram, has gone to wild.
Which one is correct sentence? Please notice comma after and before Ram on second sentence. I thougt second one is coorect...

Posted from my mobile device

Hello AbhishekDhanraJ72,

We hope this finds you well.

To answer your query, both sentences are correct.

In the first, "Ram" is the subject of the sentence, and "An obedient guy" is a modifier linked to the subject with one comma.
In the second, "An obedient guy" is the subject, and "Ram" is the modifier offset by two commas; here, the fact that the guy is called Ram is extra information, since even without it, we get a complete and logical sentence, so "Ram" can be placed between commas.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7777 [1]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
AbhishekDhanraJ72

I'll add that while both of those are valid sentences, there's no answer in the original question that corresponds to #2, so we have to interpret it in line with #1. To have #2, we'd need a modifier after "architects and stonemasons." That could be something like this: "Indigenous North American architects and stonemasons, the Maya among them, managed to build complex structures for centuries without the benefit of animal transport or the wheel."
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts