Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 04:50 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 04:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 555-605 Levelx   Comparisonsx               
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [1]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: IIM Bangalore
Own Kudos [?]: 404 [1]
Given Kudos: 326
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 600 Q47 V26
GRE 1: Q162 V149
GPA: 3.6
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 112
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 137 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Re: Architects and stonemasons, huge palace and temple clusters were built [#permalink]
My take on option E -> I could not see any subject for verb "were", thus marking this error under the umbrella of Subject-Verb Agreement error I dropped this answer choice.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 135
Send PM
Re: Architects and stonemasons, huge palace and temple clusters were built [#permalink]
jitendra wrote:
Architects and stonemasons, huge palace and temple clusters were built by the Maya without benefit of the wheel or animal transport.

(A) huge palace and temple clusters were built by the Maya without benefit of the wheel or animal transport

(B) without the benefits of animal transport or the wheel, huge palace and temple clusters were built by the Maya

(C) the Maya built huge palace and temple clusters without the benefit of animal transport or the wheel

(D) there were built, without the benefit of the wheel or animal transport, huge palace and temple clusters by the Maya

(E) were the Maya who, without the benefit of the wheel or animal transport, built huge palace and temple clusters

Verbal :: Sentence correction:: 07631

https://www.nytimes.com/1985/04/26/arts/art-maya-treasures-the-tiny-and-the-vast.html

FROM evidence dug up so far, it appears that the cleverest, hardest-working and most cultivated people of pre-Columbian America were the Mayas, described by the archeologist Sylvanus G. Morley as ''the Greeks of the New World.'' Architects and stonemasons, they built huge palace and temple clusters without benefit of the wheel or animal transport.

AjiteshArun AnthonyRitz GMATNinja

i was not confident while marking option C:Architects and stonemasons, the Maya built huge palace and temple clusters without since i was doubtful how can modifier 'Architects & stonemasons' refer to Maya ?.I realized my concept was not clear & thus following is my concern.

1 a)are Architects and stonemasons two different entity & is Maya both of them?. b)if yes then shouldn't Maya be plural as in Mayas
Stacy Blackman Consulting Director of Test Prep
Affiliations: Stacy Blackman Consulting
Own Kudos [?]: 393 [0]
Given Kudos: 165
GMAT 1: 790 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
GPA: 3.11
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
gmatassassin88 wrote:
jitendra wrote:
Architects and stonemasons, huge palace and temple clusters were built by the Maya without benefit of the wheel or animal transport.

(A) huge palace and temple clusters were built by the Maya without benefit of the wheel or animal transport

(B) without the benefits of animal transport or the wheel, huge palace and temple clusters were built by the Maya

(C) the Maya built huge palace and temple clusters without the benefit of animal transport or the wheel

(D) there were built, without the benefit of the wheel or animal transport, huge palace and temple clusters by the Maya

(E) were the Maya who, without the benefit of the wheel or animal transport, built huge palace and temple clusters

Verbal :: Sentence correction:: 07631

https://www.nytimes.com/1985/04/26/arts/art-maya-treasures-the-tiny-and-the-vast.html

FROM evidence dug up so far, it appears that the cleverest, hardest-working and most cultivated people of pre-Columbian America were the Mayas, described by the archeologist Sylvanus G. Morley as ''the Greeks of the New World.'' Architects and stonemasons, they built huge palace and temple clusters without benefit of the wheel or animal transport.

AjiteshArun AnthonyRitz GMATNinja

i was not confident while marking option C:Architects and stonemasons, the Maya built huge palace and temple clusters without since i was doubtful how can modifier 'Architects & stonemasons' refer to Maya ?.I realized my concept was not clear & thus following is my concern.

1 a)are Architects and stonemasons two different entity & is Maya both of them?. b)if yes then shouldn't Maya be plural as in Mayas

"The Maya" is plural. It is the name of the Native American civilization (and people) in question. These plural people were plural architects and stonemasons. Not every word in English takes an "s" ending when pluralized.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 195
Send PM
KapTeacherEli wrote:
Remember, when a modifying phrase is set off from the rest of the sentence by commas, the rest of the sentence must read correctly if that descriptive phrase is ignored. Ignoring both of the parts of the sentence isolated by commas, and reading (E) into the sentence, we get "...were the Maya who... built huge palace and temple structures." This is clearly grammatically incorrect.

Pls explain, How is this sentence incorrect?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
WE:Project Management (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
I understood the meaning of the sentence that
Mayan population built temples and palaces without...wheel.

What is the relevance of the modifier "Architects and Stonemasons" before the comma? What does it modify?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [4]
Given Kudos: 631
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Stormcool wrote:
Pls explain, How is this sentence incorrect?

Hi Stormcool,

This is what E leads to:
Architects and stonemasons, were the Maya who...

The verb is were, and we expect a subject for that verb. One way to take E out is to focus on the comma between architects and stonemasons and were. This is like "X, were Y". If X is the subject of were, then there should not be a comma there. If X is a modifier, then there is no subject at all.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 195
Send PM
Pls, explain why 'E' is wrong other than the fact that 'Architects...' should be immediately followed by a suitable noun/pronoun.

Thanks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 95
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Nonprofit
GPA: 2
Send PM
I cannot wrap my head around this:

(1) Scientists and engineers, the Russians built a huge rocket.
How is this not a fragmented sentence?

(2) Scientists and engineers, were the Russians who, ... , built a huge rocket.
Though the , is clearly wrong here, I've seen GMAT use commas to mark pauses arbitrarily.
If that's the case, would this option be more valid?
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Expert Reply
shyam30 wrote:
I cannot wrap my head around this:

(1) Scientists and engineers, the Russians built a huge rocket.
How is this not a fragmented sentence?

Hi shyam30, I can understand the confusion. Scientists and engineers are actually nouns; however, in this sentence, they are in some sense describing who the Russians are/were. So, the phrase Scientists and engineers is used as a modifier here, modifying the Russians.

Hence, it is not a fragmented sentence.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses Fragmented sentences, their application and examples in significant detail. If you or someone is interested, PM me your email-id; I can mail the corresponding section.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 207 [0]
Given Kudos: 189
Send PM
Architects and stonemasons, huge palace and temple clusters were built [#permalink]
DmitryFarber wrote:
MAnkur The part in question begins with a verb, so it's not a modifier. We generally only skip over modifying text. If it said "who were . . . ," then it would be a modifier.

Hi DmitryFarber GMATNinja Abhi077 generis

It seems like in E -- were the Maya who is not a modifier according to E

If that is indeed the case, why is were the Maya who in between comma's in E?

Also, where can i read more about this part quoted by DmitryFarber - The part in question begins with a verb, so it's not a modifier. - i thought as long as anything is in between two comma's -- we can assume it's a modifier
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [0]
Given Kudos: 631
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Architects and stonemasons, huge palace and temple clusters were built [#permalink]
Expert Reply
jabhatta2 wrote:
i thought as long as anything is in between two comma's -- we can assume it's a modifier

Hi jabhatta2,

Unfortunately, we can't do that. You could try this question and this question and then go through these posts: 1 and 2.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
Abhi077

Wouldn't "without the benefit..." be a prepositional phrase describing 'temple clusters and palaces' and therefore illogical or at the very least ambiguous if you said it could refer to architects and stonemansons?

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
sislam04
Prepositional phrases can be noun modifiers or adverbial modifiers, depending on the phrase and the context. In this case, "without the benefit" describes how something was done, so it's adverbial and modifies the verb "built."
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
DmitryFarber wrote:
sislam04
Prepositional phrases can be noun modifiers or adverbial modifiers, depending on the phrase and the context. In this case, "without the benefit" describes how something was done, so it's adverbial and modifies the verb "built."

Thank you for the response.

My counterpoint would be below:

We saw a tiger on they way to the store.

Did we see a tiger while we were going to the store or did we see a tiger on his way to the store?

Obliviously the later is a bit nonsensical but it does leave ambiguity (I think you would argue it's adverbial in this case). Similarly from the question above can't
the same be said that its ambiguous?
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 60
Send PM
Hi GMATNinja

It would be really helpful if you could post a detailed solution to this question.
Also, what is the role of 'architects and stonemasons'
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [0]
Given Kudos: 626
Send PM
[quote="jitendra"]Architects and stonemasons, huge palace and temple clusters were built by the Maya without benefit of the wheel or animal transport.

GMATNinja

I have come across two official problems that treat the descriptor of a noun at the beginning of the sentence being offset by a comma or no comma differently.
In this problem, there is a comma --> "Architects and stonemasons, the Maya".

In number 868 in the Official Guide 2020 version, there is no comma--> "Jazz pianist and composer Thelonious Monk produced..."

How should I go about this?

Thank you :) I trust your words of wisdom.
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
sislam04
We want to avoid ambiguity, but it has to be real ambiguity to be a problem. In other words, a reader who is trying to understand the meaning would have to be genuinely unsure. In your tiger example, we don't have ambiguity, because tigers don't go to the store. Similarly, it doesn't make sense to refer to clusters of buildings "without the benefit of animal transport." We don't expect our buildings to be carried around on animals, and if they were, I'm not sure that would be a benefit! ;)

Now, if we said "We saw a tiger on the way to the river," that might be unclear, although it could still be fine if it's not important to establish that the tiger was going to the river and we were not.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts