GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 May 2019, 19:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

According to Italy's top anti-Mafia prosecutor, the ailing mobster cam

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

 
Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 24 Sep 2018
Posts: 140
Premium Member
Re: According to Italy's top anti-Mafia prosecutor, the ailing mobster cam  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Oct 2018, 14:39
ardiax wrote:
According to Italy's top anti-Mafia prosecutor, the ailing mobster came to take refuge in Corleone, a town famous because of the “The Godfather” and near to those he most trusted.

(A) the ailing mobster came to take refuge in Corleone, a town famous because of “The Godfather” and near to those he most trusted

(B) famous because of “The Godfather,” the ailing mobster came to take refuge in Corleone, a town near to those he most trusted

(C) the ailing mobster, famous because of “The Godfather,” came to take refuge in Corleone, a town near to those he most trusted

(D) near to those he most trusted, the ailing mobster came to take refuge in Corleone, a town famous because of “The Godfather”

(E) Corleone, famous because of “The Godfather,” was the town that the ailing mobster came to take refuge in because it was near to those he most trusted


Quote:
According to Italy's top anti-Mafia prosecutor, the ailing mobster came to take refuge in Corleone, a town famous because of the “The Godfather” and near to those he most trusted.

Sentence Analysis: The sentence starts with the opening modifier "According to Italy's top anti-Mafia prosecutor", which coneys that some information is about to come.
the ailing mobster came to take refuge in Corleone
The next two modifiers tell about the city Carleone
1. a town famous because of the “The Godfather”
and : parallelism marker, marks parallelism between 2 adjectival phrases
2. a town near to those he most trusted
The original sentence seems correct. "Famous because of 'The Godfather'"and "near to those he most trusted" correctly modify "a town," which modifies Corleone. Noun modifiers must be next to the nouns that they describe.
Let's keep A, and see if we find something better than A.
Quote:
(B) famous because of “The Godfather,” the ailing mobster came to take refuge in Corleone, a town near to those he most trusted
Was the Prosecutor famous because of the "The Godfather" :lol:
This choice contains a modification error; "famous because of 'The Godfather'” incorrectly describes the prosecutor. Noun modifiers modify the closest available noun.
Quote:
(C) the ailing mobster, famous because of “The Godfather,” came to take refuge in Corleone, a town near to those he most trusted
Why is "The Godfather" making someone or the other famous. Here it modifies the ailing mobster. Was the ailing mobster famous because of the Godfather.?????? :shh:
This choice contains a modification error; "famous because of 'The Godfather'" incorrectly describes the mobster. Noun modifiers modify the closest available noun.
Quote:
(D) near to those he most trusted, the ailing mobster came to take refuge in Corleone, a town famous because of “The Godfather”
Crazy noun modifier issues in this question. Was the prosecutor near to those, whom he trusted? Changes the intended meaning again.
This choice contains a modification error; "near to those he most trusted" incorrectly describes the prosecutor. Noun modifiers modify the closest available noun.
Quote:
(E) Corleone, famous because of “The Godfather,” was the town that the ailing mobster came to take refuge in because it was near to those he most trusted

Answer option A does the same job in much lesser words. Conveys the meaning through parallelism between two attributes of the town Corleone.
The modification is correct in this choice. "Famous because of 'The Godfather'" correctly modifies "Corleone". However, this sentence is unnecessarily wordy, "was the town that the ailing mobster came to take refuge in" is much less concise than "the ailing mobster came to take refuge in Corleone" without making the meaning clearer.
_________________
Please award :thumbup: kudos, If this post helped you in someway. :student_man:
Intern
Intern
User avatar
S
Joined: 22 Apr 2018
Posts: 32
Re: According to Italy's top anti-Mafia prosecutor, the ailing mobster cam  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Apr 2019, 09:37
Hi GMATNinja

Can you please explain the parallelism in this sentence as in what is parallel to "and near to those he most trusted."

and what does "those" refers to?
_________________
If you like my post, please don't shy away from giving Kudos, as it boosts my confidence to post more :)
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 07 Jan 2019
Posts: 4
Re: According to Italy's top anti-Mafia prosecutor, the ailing mobster cam  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Apr 2019, 19:50
Can someone tell me why option A is correct????

Usually when a part of sentence is between commas , it can be eliminated & the rest of sentence must still makes sense. But here in ‘...prosecutor, the ailing mobster came to take refuge in Corleone, a town...’ if ‘, the ailing mobster came to take refuge in Corleone,‘ is removed , then ‘a town‘ refers to ‘prosecutor ’ instead of ‘corleone’. So this new sentence doesn’t make sense. Then how can A be correct?

Doesn’t the ‘descriptive portion in between commas can be removed’ rule apply always. If so, when it can be applied & when it shouldn’t be?

Thanks in advance.

Posted from my mobile device
CEO
CEO
User avatar
V
Joined: 15 Jul 2015
Posts: 2625
Location: India
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Re: According to Italy's top anti-Mafia prosecutor, the ailing mobster cam  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Apr 2019, 02:28
1
NarlankaVijay wrote:
Usually when a part of sentence is between commas , it can be eliminated & the rest of sentence must still makes sense. But here in ‘...prosecutor, the ailing mobster came to take refuge in Corleone, a town...’ if ‘, the ailing mobster came to take refuge in Corleone,‘ is removed , then ‘a town‘ refers to ‘prosecutor ’ instead of ‘corleone’. So this new sentence doesn’t make sense. Then how can A be correct?
Unless a sentence has a lot of redundant items, we should not expect to be able to remove words from it without losing meaning.

Also, even if we're looking just to understand the structure of the sentence, we should not apply the "remove the portion in between commas" recommendation blindly. For example, in this case, the ailing mobster came to take refuge in Corleone contains the actual subject and verb (the ailing mobster and came). If we remove them, we won't be left with a sentence at all!
_________________
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 07 Jan 2019
Posts: 4
Re: According to Italy's top anti-Mafia prosecutor, the ailing mobster cam  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Apr 2019, 16:38
AjiteshArun wrote:
NarlankaVijay wrote:
Usually when a part of sentence is between commas , it can be eliminated & the rest of sentence must still makes sense. But here in ‘...prosecutor, the ailing mobster came to take refuge in Corleone, a town...’ if ‘, the ailing mobster came to take refuge in Corleone,‘ is removed , then ‘a town‘ refers to ‘prosecutor ’ instead of ‘corleone’. So this new sentence doesn’t make sense. Then how can A be correct?
Unless a sentence has a lot of redundant items, we should not expect to be able to remove words from it without losing meaning.

Also, even if we're looking just to understand the structure of the sentence, we should not apply the "remove the portion in between commas" recommendation blindly. For example, in this case, the ailing mobster came to take refuge in Corleone contains the actual subject and verb (the ailing mobster and came). If we remove them, we won't be left with a sentence at all!



Thank you. That really helped a lot. :)

Posted from my mobile device
Retired Moderator
User avatar
V
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Posts: 4763
Location: India
WE: Education (Education)
Re: According to Italy's top anti-Mafia prosecutor, the ailing mobster cam  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 May 2019, 09:22
1
Top Contributor
According to Italy's top anti-Mafia prosecutor, the ailing mobster came to take refuge in Corleone, a town famous because of the “The Godfather” and near to those he most trusted.

I wish to make a small observation about the use of commas in a sentence.

According to Italy's top anti-mafia prosecutor - the introductory modifier

the ailing mobster came to take refuge in Corleone-- The Main clause with its subject and verb.

a town famous because of the “The Godfather” and near to those he most trusted -- An appositive modifier describing the town Corleone.



When a sentence starts with an introductory modifier, such as "According to Italy's top anti-Mafia prosecutor" we generally set it off by a comma. Therefore, the comma belongs to the initial modifier and not to what follows. Because the last part is a modifier, we again set it off from the main sentence by a comma. This is necessitated only because of the subsequent modifier and the comma, in fact, belongs to the modifier.

Thus, we can see that what is seemingly contained within two commas is indeed not so. There is no need to try to remove the main clause, thinking that it is a modifier.
_________________
The Take-Away: Grammar First and Then the Rest
GMAT Club Bot
Re: According to Italy's top anti-Mafia prosecutor, the ailing mobster cam   [#permalink] 09 May 2019, 09:22

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 26 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

According to Italy's top anti-Mafia prosecutor, the ailing mobster cam

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.