Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 01:20 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 01:20

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: Sub 505 Levelx   Idioms/Diction/Redundancyx                              
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6508 [96]
Given Kudos: 100
 Q44  V38
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [28]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [6]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [2]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Re: As well as heat and light, the Sun is the source of a continuous strea [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-
tejal777 wrote:
As well as heat and light, the Sun is the source of a continuous stream of atomic particles known as the solar wind.

(A) As well as heat and light, the Sun is the source of a continuous stream

(B) Besides heat and light, also the Sun is the source of a continuous stream

(C) Besides heat and light, the Sun is also the source of a continuous streaming

(D) The Sun is the source not only of heat and light, but also of a continuous stream

(E) The Sun is the source of not only heat and light but, as well, of a continuous streaming

Meaning is crucial to solving this problem:
Understanding the intended meaning is key to solving this question; the intended meaning of the sentence is that the Sun is the source of heat, light, and also a continuous stream of atomic particles known as the solar wind.

Concepts tested here: Meaning + Modifiers + Idioms + Awkwardness/Redundancy

• In a “phrase + comma + noun” construction, the phrase must correctly modify the noun; this is one of the most frequently tested concepts on GMAT sentence correction.
• “not only A but also B” is the correct, idiomatic usage; A must be parallel to B.

A: This answer choice incorrectly uses the phrase "As well as heat and light" to modify "the Sun", illogically implying that heat, light, and the Sun are all the source of the solar wind; the intended meaning is that the Sun is the source of heat, light, and the solar wind; remember, in a “phrase + comma + noun” construction, the phrase must correctly modify the noun.

B: This answer choice incorrectly uses the phrase "Besides heat and light" to modify "the Sun", illogically implying that heat, light, and the Sun are all the source of the solar wind; the intended meaning is that the Sun is the source of heat, light, and the solar wind; remember, in a “phrase + comma + noun” construction, the phrase must correctly modify the noun. Further, Option B uses the needlessly wordy phrase "also the Sun", leading to awkwardness and redundancy; this usage is redundant because "also" can be deleted without a loss of clarity.

C: This answer choice incorrectly uses the phrase "Besides heat and light" to modify "the Sun", illogically implying that heat, light, and the Sun are all the source of the solar wind; the intended meaning is that the Sun is the source of heat, light, and the solar wind; remember, in a “phrase + comma + noun” construction, the phrase must correctly modify the noun. Further, Option C uses the needlessly indirect phrase "a continuous streaming", leading to awkwardness.

D: Correct. This answer choice avoids the modifier error seen in Options A, B, and C, as it does not utilize the "phrase + comma" construction; rather, it uses the phrase "not only of heat and light, but also of a continuous stream" to modify "the source", conveying the intended meaning - that the Sun is the source of heat, light, and the solar wind. Further, Option D correctly uses the idiomatic construction "not only A but also B" and maintains parallelism between A ("of heat and light") and B ("of a continuous streaming"). Additionally, Option D is free of any awkwardness and redundancy.

E: This answer choice uses the unidiomatic construction "not only A but as well B" and fails to maintain parallelism between A ("heat and light") and B ("of a continuous streaming"); remember, “not only A but also B” is the correct, idiomatic usage; A must be parallel to B. Further, Option E uses the needlessly indirect phrase "a continuous streaming", leading to awkwardness.

Hence, D is the best answer choice.

To understand the concept of "Phrase Comma Subject" and "Subject Comma Phrase" on GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~2 minutes):

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4074 [2]
Given Kudos: 18
Name: Ronak Amin
Schools: IIM Lucknow (IPMX) - Class of 2014
Send PM
Re: As well as heat and light, the Sun is the source of a continuous strea [#permalink]
Kudos
IMO D.

Besides heat and light, xxx....here xxx should not be 'the sun'..it can be something else that the sun possesses. Seems like heat, light and 'the sun' are compared.

A and E don't read too well.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1041 [2]
Given Kudos: 20
 Q49  V41
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
tejal777 wrote:
. As well as heat and light, the Sun is the source of a continuous stream of atomic particles known as the solar wind.

Not preferred construction.
"Besides X, also the sun" is incorrect.
(C) Besides heat and light, the Sun is also the source of a continuous streaming
"continuous streaming", present progressive is not preferred over simple present - stream.
(D) The Sun is the source not only of heat and light, but also of a continuous stream
Uses "Not only X but also Y" correctly. This is correct.
(E) The Sun is the source of not only heat and light but, as well, of a continuous streaming
Uses "not only but, as well" which is incorrect.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 335 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
D.
is the comma between not only but also correct
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [0]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Expert Reply
Comma is a vexatious issue, with different measurements applied in different systems. American English is liberal about such use of comma just before and & but, while British English does not encourage such a use. We will go by AE, which is what GMAT is concerned about
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 79 [1]
Given Kudos: 54
Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.92
Send PM
Kudos
I rejected option E coz 'but also' was not accompanied by 'not only'...
Should 'but also' be always accompanied by 'not only'... or is it not necessary?
Can someone please answer that?
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30797 [0]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Expert Reply
cubs wrote:
Should 'but also' be always accompanied by 'not only'... or is it not necessary?

Hello cubs,

I will be glad to help you out with this one. :-)

The phrase but also does always accompany the phrase not only/just. However, there are a few official questions the correct version of which use the idiom not only X but Y.

So your reason to reject Choice E is absolutely correct.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 79 [0]
Given Kudos: 54
Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.92
Send PM
egmat wrote:
cubs wrote:

Hello cubs,

I will be glad to help you out with this one. :-)

The phrase but also does always accompany the phrase not only/just. However, there are a few official questions the correct version of which use the idiom not only X but Y.

So your reason to reject Choice E is absolutely correct.

Thanks.
Shraddha

Thanks for the reply.
I have a follow up query.
You mentioned that few official question does use the idiom not only X but Y. So then how can we be sure to reject the option choice based on just that reason alone.
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30797 [0]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Expert Reply
cubs wrote:
Thanks for the reply.
I have a follow up query.
You mentioned that few official question does use the idiom not only X but Y. So then how can we be sure to reject the option choice based on just that reason alone.

Hello cubs,

IMHO, the sentence will not mix the two idioms not only X but also Y and not only X but Y together. it would either use either the former or the latter expression.

In case that happens, the correct answer choice will be the one that will have no grammatical and logical issues. So basically, process of elimination will help us reach the correct answer choice.

Moreover, you will never have to select the correct answer choice solely on the basis of these two idioms because both of them are correct. And any official sentence can NEVER have two grammatical and logical answer choices.

Thanks.
Shraddha
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2164 [4]
Given Kudos: 368
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 560 Q41 V26
GMAT 2: 550 Q43 V23
GMAT 3: 650 Q47 V33
GMAT 4: 650 Q44 V36
GMAT 5: 600 Q38 V35
GMAT 6: 710 Q47 V41
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
As well as heat and light, the Sun is the source of a continuous stream of atomic particles known as the solar wind.

Meaning issue - A, B, C

"As well as H and L, the Sun does X" is confusing because this suggests that Heat and Light are also a source of X, but then "the source" is limiting --> Eliminate

Tells us that Heat and Light are also a source of continuous stream. Words "also the Sun" should be "the Sun also". Eliminate.

Tells us that Heat and Light are also a source of continuous stream - Elim.

Correct as it clarifies the meaning, correctly uses the idiom: Not Only X, but also Y, and is logical.

Incorrect Idiom used. Should be Not Only, But Also
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
I eliminated Options A,B and E but I dont understand why the answer cant be option C. Please explain.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [2]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Kudos