GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Oct 2018, 01:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

As well as heat and light, the Sun is the source of a continuous strea

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Director
Director
As well as heat and light, the Sun is the source of a continuous strea  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 30 Sep 2018, 23:17
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

80% (00:37) correct 20% (00:31) wrong based on 2614 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

As well as heat and light, the Sun is the source of a continuous stream of atomic particles known as the solar wind.

(A) As well as heat and light, the Sun is the source of a continuous stream

(B) Besides heat and light, also the Sun is the source of a continuous stream

(C) Besides heat and light, the Sun is also the source of a continuous streaming

(D) The Sun is the source not only of heat and light, but also of a continuous stream

(E) The Sun is the source of not only heat and light but, as well, of a continuous streaming

The Official Guide for GMAT Review, 10th Edition, 2003

Practice Question
Question No.: SC 241
Page: 691

http://gmatclub.com/forum/countdown-beginshas-ended-85483-40.html#p649902

Originally posted by tejal777 on 02 Nov 2009, 18:03.
Last edited by Bunuel on 30 Sep 2018, 23:17, edited 2 times in total.
Renamed the topic and edited the question.
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Re: As well as heat and light, the Sun is the source of a continuous strea  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2010, 06:00
What we have to be clear here is that Sun is the source of three factors, namely heat, light and a continuous stream ………. solar wind

A.Altered intent. This effectively means that along with heat and light, the Sun is a third source of the solar wind.
B.Altered intent. Same as A.
C. Altered intent. Same as A and B
D.Correct; Not only the intent is brought well forthrightly but also the structure is well constructed by properly using the correlative conjunction not only … but also
E.Missing parallelism, by saying not only heat and light but as well of a continuous streaming. The of after as well is breaking the parallelism. In addition, continuous streaming also is wrong; it should be continuously streaming

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

General Discussion
Director
Director
Name: Ronak Amin
Schools: IIM Lucknow (IPMX) - Class of 2014
Re: As well as heat and light, the Sun is the source of a continuous strea  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2009, 18:39
IMO D.

Besides heat and light, xxx....here xxx should not be 'the sun'..it can be something else that the sun possesses. Seems like heat, light and 'the sun' are compared.

A and E don't read too well.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2009, 19:20
tejal777 wrote:
. As well as heat and light, the Sun is the source of a continuous stream of atomic particles known as the solar wind.

(A) As well as heat and light, the Sun is the source of a continuous stream
Not preferred construction.
(B) Besides heat and light, also the Sun is the source of a continuous stream
"Besides X, also the sun" is incorrect.
(C) Besides heat and light, the Sun is also the source of a continuous streaming
"continuous streaming", present progressive is not preferred over simple present - stream.
(D) The Sun is the source not only of heat and light, but also of a continuous stream
Uses "Not only X but also Y" correctly. This is correct.
(E) The Sun is the source of not only heat and light but, as well, of a continuous streaming
Uses "not only but, as well" which is incorrect.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2010, 07:08
D.
is the comma between not only but also correct
Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2010, 07:37
Comma is a vexatious issue, with different measurements applied in different systems. American English is liberal about such use of comma just before and & but, while British English does not encourage such a use. We will go by AE, which is what GMAT is concerned about

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Retired Moderator
G
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 06 Feb 2016, 16:44
Just a reminder of the TWICE IN, ONCE OUT rule for parallel structures.

TWICE IN: The Sun is the source not only of heat and light, but also of a continuous stream.....
The preposition of is inside the not only X,but also Y structure, i.e. of is a part of both X and Y, hence "twice in".

ONCE OUT: The Sun is the source of not only heat and light, but also a continuous stream......
The preposition of is outside the not only X,but also Y structure, i.e. of is not a part X or Y, hence "once out".
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.92
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2017, 09:41
I rejected option E coz 'but also' was not accompanied by 'not only'...
Should 'but also' be always accompanied by 'not only'... or is it not necessary?
Can someone please answer that?

The thing about privilege is.. you often don't recognize your own !!!

e-GMAT Representative
G

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2017, 10:02
cubs wrote:
Should 'but also' be always accompanied by 'not only'... or is it not necessary?

Hello cubs,

I will be glad to help you out with this one. :-)

The phrase but also does always accompany the phrase not only/just. However, there are a few official questions the correct version of which use the idiom not only X but Y.

So your reason to reject Choice E is absolutely correct.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.92
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2017, 10:08
egmat wrote:
cubs wrote:

Hello cubs,

I will be glad to help you out with this one. :-)

The phrase but also does always accompany the phrase not only/just. However, there are a few official questions the correct version of which use the idiom not only X but Y.

So your reason to reject Choice E is absolutely correct.

Thanks.
Shraddha

Thanks for the reply.
I have a follow up query.
You mentioned that few official question does use the idiom not only X but Y. So then how can we be sure to reject the option choice based on just that reason alone.

The thing about privilege is.. you often don't recognize your own !!!

e-GMAT Representative
G

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2017, 10:34
cubs wrote:
Thanks for the reply.
I have a follow up query.
You mentioned that few official question does use the idiom not only X but Y. So then how can we be sure to reject the option choice based on just that reason alone.

Hello cubs,

IMHO, the sentence will not mix the two idioms not only X but also Y and not only X but Y together. it would either use either the former or the latter expression.

In case that happens, the correct answer choice will be the one that will have no grammatical and logical issues. So basically, process of elimination will help us reach the correct answer choice.

Moreover, you will never have to select the correct answer choice solely on the basis of these two idioms because both of them are correct. And any official sentence can NEVER have two grammatical and logical answer choices.

Thanks.
Shraddha

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Non-Human User
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 30 Sep 2018, 07:31
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

-
April 2018: New Forum dedicated to Verbal Strategies, Guides, and Resources

GMAT Club Bot
Re: As well as heat and light, the Sun is the source of a continuous strea &nbs [#permalink] 30 Sep 2018, 07:31

As well as heat and light, the Sun is the source of a continuous strea

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap