GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Mar 2019, 10:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Ask ApplicantLab

new topic post reply Update application status  
Applicant Lab Admissions Consultant
B
Schools: HBS - Class of 2005
Ask ApplicantLab  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Mar 2019, 08:41
Hi there! There is a lot to like about this profile: the international experiences, the increasing responsibility, and the move OUT of a purely technical role into a consulting role.

For the career vision, check out the free content I have around career visions in the free trial of ApplicantLab, that should help you narrow down which post-MBA role is better to cite. I'd leave the policy stuff out though -- it muddies the story a bit. (of course you can still do it in real life, I'm just saying leave it out of the application).

I am concerned about the GMAT. You really should re-take, and properly study this time, using an online course like e-GMAT (especially since your verbal was weaker). If you got a 700 with only 14 days of self-study, then my hope is you can get a competitive score ("competitive" = 30+ points above a school's average) with true dedication and formal study.

Re: your concern that you don't have time, the Round 1 deadlines are still several months away? (Unless you're planning to apply in a late round for some schools like LBS, which I do not recommend, since many / most spots are already taken).

TL;DR: hold off on the applications and apply in Round 1. Spend at least a couple of months studying with a proper study tool to aim for 730+ (750+ is ideal). There's no point rushing to get in a weak application, especially in Round 3 which is usually a futile errand anyway.

Thanks!,
Maria

shubhajit wrote:
Hello,

I seek some advice regarding the suitability of my profile for the schools that I am targeting for fall 2020. Would be grateful if I could receive some feedback.

Background:

• Indian, male
• Engineering bachelors (electrical) - GPA 6.1/10 (equiv to 61%) at tier 1 university
• 5+ years' worth of work experience (be 6 by the time I apply) - Renewable energy - Consulting and operations
• GMAT 700 (Q47 V38 IR4)

Target colleges:
• LSB
• INSEAD
• HEC
• Oxford Said
• ISB

Post MBA goals
Career acceleration in the same field

Short term:
Manager/Team lead at a Developing/Investing firm that could leverage my knowledge engineering and operations to build a strong renewable energy portfolio
OR
Senior Consultant/team lead at a consulting firm that assists governments in emerging markets to set up appropriate policies to maximize benefit to their economies - technically as well as financially.

Long term -
Senior executive at a firm that builds on a portfolio of energy projects through organic/inorganic growth to maximize its gains. Would also like to be involved in policy related advisory for emerging markets.

Work exp break down:-

3 years at a technical consulting firm (largest in India) - Energy industry. (2013-2016) - location India

• Worked on conventional power projects in Greece and Morocco - 1 year. Clients were foreign nationals. Had limited travel during this time.
• Mostly focused on developing strong technical fundamentals
• Shifted to renewable energy industry (utility scale solar plants). Offered consultancy services to lenders, policy makers and developers. Drew on the rich technical learning that I garnered in the first year of my service.
• Travelled extensively all over India and witnessed the boom in the renewable energy space first hand.
• Promoted to the position of an Engineering Consultant – Design

2 years at the world's 2nd largest solar PV (photo voltaic) Engineering Procurement Construction (EPC) company

• Employed as senior design engineer.
• Employed at double the pay.
• Shifted from consultancy to operations in the space of a couple of months
• Drew on the wealth of technical experience garnered in previous employment as technical consultant
• Started the energy storage department in the firm
• Picked up financial modelling and programming even though these were not a part of my job description. Employed this skill set to pivot discussions with management and clients and to engage in objective arguments.
• Led a team of 8 at the home office and a team of 24 at site, to successfully commission the largest solar PV plant (at that time) inside an Airport (beside the runway) at the Kolkata International Airport.
• Obtained recommendation from Client (central government of India)
• Manager (team lead) for 3 large scale solar PV projects that were completed - concept to commissioning - within a space of 2 years and were based out of India, Egypt and Argentina
• Employment included extensive travelling all over the country and to Egypt and Vietnam (for construction monitoring)

1 year at the world's largest energy consulting form (2018- present)

• Offered a role of a Consultant in Energy Storage and Renewable energy
• 4x the pay that I received at my previous employment
• Permanent employment offered at Dubai office. Currently hold a resident Visa.
• Centre of excellence for solar PV. I have been asked to disseminate my operations experience to the solar consulting team.
• Offer consultancy services to private equity forms, banks and developers investing in energy storage (primary role)
• Travel to Jordan, Egypt, Kenya and Saudi Arabia

Extra curriculars

2011- present
• Started a cooperative for sustainable tourism in the Himalayas. The geographic location is quite limited to few high - altitude locations in Jammu and Himachal Pradesh.
• It’s a low-key initiative that includes locals as well as travellers and I have never wanted any hype around it. There is no formal company registration. It is an initiative that has been popular only because of the heavy involvement of the local people. It's a cause I personally care about.

2013-2015
Volunteer at an NGO that works to offer education to the underprivileged - run by Nobel Laureate Kailash Satyarthi

2016-present
Active member of a vocational training institute where I disseminate my knowledge of operations to budding technicians

Kindly post your opinion whether my profile looks competitive enough to be considered by the aforementioned schools. I am a bit worried about my GMAT score. I only had 12 days to prepare for it and I have a feeling that I can probably do better. But to be very honest, I don't think i will have enough time to retake, thanks to commitments at work. Should I actively consider retaking?

Thanks a lot!

SNG

What is ApplicantLab?

The only MBA admissions service endorsed by Harvard Business School's student newspaper, ApplicantLab takes admissions consultants' tools and puts them in your hands, teaching you how admissions officers think. It guides you through your strategy, essays for all of your schools, resume, recommendations, and even interviews.

Learn more now:

Free Trial / GMATClub Reviews / Founder's interview with the HBS student newspaper

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Ask ApplicantLab  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Mar 2019, 11:07
Hi Maria

Thank you so much for your feedback, really appreciate it!

I do intend to apply in R1 (for fall 2020 admit) to all of the colleges that I mentioned earlier in my post. Your point is well taken, I will retake the GMAT. Though it would be incredibly onerous to manage with my current workload.

Thanks once again for your prompt response, and I'll look forward to work on my applications with Applicant Lab once i have that "competitive" score :)
Applicant Lab Admissions Consultant
B
Schools: HBS - Class of 2005
Re: Ask ApplicantLab  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Mar 2019, 14:48
That's the spirit! Go for the retake, and regarding being busy with work, just remind yourself that your competitors for that spot are also working very demanding jobs, and yet they are prioritizing the GMAT anyway :) There are many, many Indian candidates (in particular) all dying to get a very limited number of spots, and some of them study for a year (!) and re-take several times to get that competitive score. You owe it to yourself to take the test really seriously the next time around, otherwise, you're just doing your candidacy a dis-service.

Go Go Go!,
Maria :)

shubhajit wrote:
Hi Maria

Thank you so much for your feedback, really appreciate it!

I do intend to apply in R1 (for fall 2020 admit) to all of the colleges that I mentioned earlier in my post. Your point is well taken, I will retake the GMAT. Though it would be incredibly onerous to manage with my current workload.

Thanks once again for your prompt response, and I'll look forward to work on my applications with Applicant Lab once i have that "competitive" score :)

What is ApplicantLab?

The only MBA admissions service endorsed by Harvard Business School's student newspaper, ApplicantLab takes admissions consultants' tools and puts them in your hands, teaching you how admissions officers think. It guides you through your strategy, essays for all of your schools, resume, recommendations, and even interviews.

Learn more now:

Free Trial / GMATClub Reviews / Founder's interview with the HBS student newspaper

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Ask ApplicantLab   [#permalink] 04 Mar 2019, 14:48

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   [ 143 posts ] 

Ask ApplicantLab

new topic post reply Update application status  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap