GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Jan 2019, 16:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in January
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar

Ask ApplicantLab

new topic post reply Update application status  
Applicant Lab Admissions Consultant
B
Schools: HBS - Class of 2005
Re: Ask ApplicantLab  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jan 2019, 09:27
Hi there!

I think it's great that you reached out already to verify that your lack of college degree is not an instantly-bad thing.

I think this profile is off to a great start, though ideally I'd love to see you spend at least one more year (perhaps even two or three) before applying; that way, you'd have at least one full year of PE experience under your belt prior to applying...

... if the post-MBA goal is PE, make sure your recommendation from your current boss is really stellar. I teach you how to ask for / get a great recommendation (and what even makes for a "Great" recommendation anyway) in ApplicantLab!

It sounds like you are planning to apply to these schools now... if so, I think your POTENTIAL is very strong, but ideally you'd have perhaps about 1 - 3 more years of experience in PE (getting a promotion in the PE firm would be nice) to be strongly competitive.

Thank you!,
Maria

niclam2203 wrote:
Hi

I would appreciate any feedback you could provide on my profile for Wharton, LBS and INSEAD

- Age 22 at matriculation, Mauritian
- GMAT 740
- ACCA and CFA qualified. Completed ACCA at the age of 18 and CFA program at 21. However, no GPA given I did not attend any university. Wharton, LBS and INSEAD confirmed that my ACCA qualification will be equivalent to an undergrad degree.
- Spent 2 years and 4 months at Ernst and Young in the Corporate Finance Department with 2 promotions.
- Currently a Private Equity Analyst at the biggest bank in Mauritius - will have about 1 year of experience in PE at matriculation
- Post MBA goal is to work in PE
- Volunteer - Currently a volunteer at the round table association helping the homeless people and a mentor for the CFA research challenge to university student
- Member of the toastmasters club and regularly practice kickboxing
- Speak and write both French and English

Thanking you in advance for your feedback.

What is ApplicantLab?

The only MBA admissions service endorsed by Harvard Business School's student newspaper, ApplicantLab takes admissions consultants' tools and puts them in your hands, teaching you how admissions officers think. It guides you through your strategy, essays for all of your schools, resume, recommendations, and even interviews.

Learn more now:

Free Trial / GMATClub Reviews / Founder's interview with the HBS student newspaper

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 07 Jan 2019, 09:49
ApplicantLab wrote:
Hi there!

I think it's great that you reached out already to verify that your lack of college degree is not an instantly-bad thing.

I think this profile is off to a great start, though ideally I'd love to see you spend at least one more year (perhaps even two or three) before applying; that way, you'd have at least one full year of PE experience under your belt prior to applying...

... if the post-MBA goal is PE, make sure your recommendation from your current boss is really stellar. I teach you how to ask for / get a great recommendation (and what even makes for a "Great" recommendation anyway) in ApplicantLab!

It sounds like you are planning to apply to these schools now... if so, I think your POTENTIAL is very strong, but ideally you'd have perhaps about 1 - 3 more years of experience in PE (getting a promotion in the PE firm would be nice) to be strongly competitive.

Thank you!,
Maria

niclam2203 wrote:
Hi

I would appreciate any feedback you could provide on my profile for Wharton, LBS and INSEAD

- Age 22 at matriculation, Mauritian
- GMAT 740
- ACCA and CFA qualified. Completed ACCA at the age of 18 and CFA program at 21. However, no GPA given I did not attend any university. Wharton, LBS and INSEAD confirmed that my ACCA qualification will be equivalent to an undergrad degree.
- Spent 2 years and 4 months at Ernst and Young in the Corporate Finance Department with 2 promotions.
- Currently a Private Equity Analyst at the biggest bank in Mauritius - will have about 1 year of experience in PE at matriculation
- Post MBA goal is to work in PE
- Volunteer - Currently a volunteer at the round table association helping the homeless people and a mentor for the CFA research challenge to university student
- Member of the toastmasters club and regularly practice kickboxing
- Speak and write both French and English

Thanking you in advance for your feedback.

Hi Maria

Thank you so much for your feedback. Really helpful!

I think I was not clear with respect to my PE experience. I will be having 1 year and 10 months of PE experience at matriculation and am planning to apply Round 1 in September 2018 when I will be having 11 months of PE experience or I can even apply Round 2 when I will be having more than 1 year of experience. Can you please advise if this is a feasible plan?

Thanks
Nicolas
Applicant Lab Admissions Consultant
B
Schools: HBS - Class of 2005

Show Tags

New post 10 Jan 2019, 09:43
Quote:
Hi Maria

Thank you so much for your feedback. Really helpful!

I think I was not clear with respect to my PE experience. I will be having 1 year and 10 months of PE experience at matriculation and am planning to apply Round 1 in September 2018 when I will be having 11 months of PE experience or I can even apply Round 2 when I will be having more than 1 year of experience. Can you please advise if this is a feasible plan?

Thanks
Nicolas

Hi there! Ah, I understood your amount of experience, but I'm guessing when you wrote that you are planning to apply in "Round 1 in September 2018" you really meant "Sept 2019" instead? I thought perhaps, given the timing of your post, that you were aiming for the current R2 deadlines!

You should definitely apply in R1 since that is when all of the other PE people will be applying. Note that again, your profile may be stronger in another year or two, just to give you more of a chance to build your track-record (e.g. identifying / pursuing new investments; sitting on boards of portfolio companies, etc.) but I'm relieved that you're not applying right now for R2! :)

What is ApplicantLab?

The only MBA admissions service endorsed by Harvard Business School's student newspaper, ApplicantLab takes admissions consultants' tools and puts them in your hands, teaching you how admissions officers think. It guides you through your strategy, essays for all of your schools, resume, recommendations, and even interviews.

Learn more now:

Free Trial / GMATClub Reviews / Founder's interview with the HBS student newspaper

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Ask ApplicantLab &nbs [#permalink] 10 Jan 2019, 09:43

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   [ 123 posts ] 

Ask ApplicantLab

new topic post reply Update application status  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap