Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 19:11 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 19:11

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V31
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GPA: 3.48
WE:General Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Re: Because of the Sun, which is 400 times larger than the Moon, [#permalink]
Expert Reply
jkbk1732 wrote:
Let me know if I have made a mistake.

Hi jkbk1732, you are correct. I must have read the option wrong when I made that comment.

Thanks for pointing out. :thumbsup:
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 3968 [0]
Given Kudos: 160
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V34
WE:Engineering (Transportation)
Send PM
arkle wrote:
Because of the Sun, which is 400 times larger than the Moon, but also 400 times farther away from Earth, so both the Sun and the Moon have the same apparent size in the sky.

(A) Because of the Sun, which is 400 times larger than the Moon, but also 400 times farther away from Earth, so both the Sun and the Moon have the same apparent size in the sky.

(B) The Sun, which is 400 times larger than the Moon, is also 400 times farther away from Earth, so the Sun and the Moon have the same apparent size in the sky.

(C) The Sun and the Moon have the same apparent size in the sky because the Sun, which is 400 times larger than the Moon, and also 400 times farther away from Earth.

(D) Four hundred times larger than the Moon and 400 times farther away from Earth, the Sun has the same apparent size in the sky as the Moon's.

(E) Four hundred times larger than the Moon and also 400 times farther away from Earth, so the Sun in the sky has the same apparent size as the Moon.

Can someone please answer this question and provide detailed explanation.I am not satisfied with the explanation provided by GMAT Prep question pack.

(A) Because of the Sun, which is 400 times larger than the Moon, but also 400 times farther away from Earth, so both the Sun and the Moon have the same apparent size in the sky.

(B) The Sun, which is 400 times larger than the Moon, is also 400 times farther away from Earth, so the Sun and the Moon have the same apparent size in the sky.

(C) The Sun and the Moon have the same apparent size in the sky because the Sun, which is 400 times larger than the Moon, and also 400 times farther away from Earth.

(D) Four hundred times larger than the Moon and 400 times farther away from Earth, the Sun has the same apparent size in the sky as the Moon's.

(E) Four hundred times larger than the Moon and also 400 times farther away from Earth, so the Sun in the sky has the same apparent size as the Moon.

IMO B
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Do we have an explanation for the points raised by warriorguy.
After removing non-restrictive clause as stated in warriorguy's comment in answer choice B, "also" does not make sense.
Can someone clarify on the point.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 434
Send PM
Because of the Sun, which is 400 times larger than the Moon, but also 400 times farther away from Earth, so both the Sun and the Moon have the same apparent size in the sky.

'because' and 'so' serve the same purpose -- they are redundant.

Looks good. Keep.

If we remove "which is 400 times...the Moon" the sentence is a fragment. Eliminate.

We're not certain what 'the Moon's' is referring to here. Is it the Moon's size? We can't say for certain. Eliminate.

'so' is incorrect in this format. Eliminate.

Answer is B.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 115 [0]
Given Kudos: 446
Send PM
GMATNinja can you please help explain this? Thank you.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Isn't B incorrect though since ", which" typically implies a NONESSENTIAL clause whereas the sun being 400 times larger than the moon is ESSENTIAL to this sentence? I think D makes the most sense -- the "moon's" is obviously referring to the moon's apparent size. It seems akin to the sentence: "my car is parked in the same garage as his"
Target Test Prep Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 507 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Expert Reply
sammmmyb wrote:
whereas the sun being 400 times larger than the moon is ESSENTIAL to this sentence?

There is no issue of whether certain words are "essential to the sentence".
That's never an issue. In any sentence that's well-written, EVERY word will ALWAYS have some easily identifiable significance! Good sentences do not randomly contain irrelevant or 'unimportant' words.

There is a grammatical entity known as an 'essential' modifier / 'essential' clause. The significance of this entity is something altogether different from the above.
The idea of 'essential' vs. 'non-essential' modifiers is NOT tested on the GMAT, though, so it would make no sense to elaborate on that topic here.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 82
Send PM
EducationAisle wrote:
arkle wrote:
@Subash I looked at that explanation and after that only I posted this question here.That thread has no explanation for C,D,E options.I am very much interested in Why option C is wrong.Thanks!

C: Couple of issues:
1. The last and is not matching with anything. The structure seems to be: …because the sun…and also 400 times..!! sun and 400 times clearly have no correlation
2. Perhaps if his last and was to be replaced with is, C might have been an option worth consideration.

D: Phenomenal meaning issue. The original sentence is clearly intended to convey that the reason why the Sun and the Moon have the same apparent size in the sky is because sun is 400 times farther away from Earth. In D, this causal relationship is not coming out at all.

E: Illogically comparing the size of a planetary body (sun) with another planetary body (moon). That is illogical comparison. We can compare size with size; we can compare a planetary body with another planetary body; but we can’t just mix and match.

EducationAisle - Can you please explain the comparison play of answer choice. As per your book, I followed the following steps -

1. comparison operator - here "as"
2. LHS of the comparison operator - "size in the sky"
3. RHS comparison of the same type - "Moon's (size in the sky)" - using ellipsis.
4. LHS = RHS and the meaning makes sense as we are comparing Size of sun in the sky with Moon's size in the sky ....

where am I going wrong? Driving me crazy ... thanks!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 82
Send PM
Because of the Sun, which is 400 times larger than the Moon, [#permalink]
GMATNinja wrote:
sammmmyb wrote:
Isn't B incorrect though since ", which" typically implies a NONESSENTIAL clause whereas the sun being 400 times larger than the moon is ESSENTIAL to this sentence? I think D makes the most sense -- the "moon's" is obviously referring to the moon's apparent size. It seems akin to the sentence: "my car is parked in the same garage as his"

First, (D) is illogical. Take another look.

Quote:

The portion in red is incoherent. The sun has the same apparent size as the moon's... size? The sun can have the same apparent size as the moon. But not the moon's size.

Put another way, the sun and the moon can share a characteristic. The sun can't share a characteristic with something's size. (The same way Tim can be as tall as Dana, but not as tall as Dana's height.)

And as Ron noted (hi, Ron!), "essential" in the grammatical sense doesn't mean that the modifier is just important to understand the logic of the sentence. It means that the modifier is necessary to differentiate the noun in question from a broader set of nouns.

If I write, "The dog that is in the yard is vicious," there may well be other dogs, but I'm only writing about the one in the yard. If I write, "The dog, which is in the yard, is vicious," there's just one dog and it happens to be in the yard. The modifier is still important in the second sentence, it just isn't necessary to differentiate this dog from other dogs.

Is the GMAT terribly interested in testing this concept? Nope. So if you find yourself wondering if a certain modifier is essential, redirect your attention to other, more important issues.

I hope that helps!

Hello Boss GMATNinja - How do you know that the comparison here is b/w "Sun" and the "Moon's Size".

I thought the comparison is between the apparent size of the Sun and the Apparent size of the Moon? How to know and dissect the elements of the literal comparison? Thanks!
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63674 [0]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
IN2MBB2PE wrote:
Hello Boss GMATNinja - How do you know that the comparison here is b/w "Sun" and the "Moon's Size".

I thought the comparison is between the apparent size of the Sun and the Apparent size of the Moon? How to know and dissect the elements of the literal comparison? Thanks!

I completely agree with EducationAisle about the logic of the comparison, but in case it helps, we'll toss in our wisecracks, too.

If you want to compare their apparent sizes, it would be much clearer to write something like this:

"... so the apparent size of the Sun IS the same as the Moon's [apparent size]."

Here, the verb "is" suggests that X and Y ARE the same.

But if you use "has" instead, the reader expects that X and Y both HAVE the same thing. For example:

"Tim has the same type of car as Mike."

This suggests that Tim and Mike both have the same type of car. This is exactly the structure we get in (B), so the meaning is clear and logical (the Sun and Moon both HAVE the same apparent size).

Sure, you can eventually figure out what (D) is trying to say. But if we read it literally, (D) lends itself to a totally illogical meaning. That makes (B) a much better choice.

I hope that helps a bit!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 139 [0]
Given Kudos: 154
Send PM
Because of the Sun, which is 400 times larger than the Moon, [#permalink]
arkle wrote:

Can someone please answer this question and provide detailed explanation.I am not satisfied with the explanation provided by GMAT Prep question pack.

Prep2012-Pack-SC-074 VSC005220

I am a bit confused with option (B) in this question:
Quote:

This is the right option. But how? If we remove the modifier, the "also" in the sentence doesn’t make any sense:
"The Sun is also 400 times farther away from Earth, so the Sun and the Moon have the same apparent size in the sky."
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63674 [0]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Jarvis07 wrote:

Quote:
The Sun, which is 400 times larger than the Moon, is also 400 times farther away from Earth, so the Sun and the Moon have the same apparent size in the sky.

This is the right option. But how? If we remove the modifier, the "also" in the sentence doesn’t make any sense:

"The Sun is also 400 times farther away from Earth, so the Sun and the Moon have the same apparent size in the sky."

And if you put the modifier back in, the "also" makes perfect sense! That's all that matters.

Removing modifiers is a good way to analyze certain structural elements of a sentence, but that doesn't mean that the sentence will be flawless once the modifiers are removed. Those modifiers are there for a reason! So please don't remove them permanently. :)
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Expert Reply
Jarvis07 wrote:
arkle wrote:

Prep2012-Pack-SC-074 VSC005220

Quote:

Hello Jarvis07,

We hope this finds you well.

To answer your query, the sentence formed by the omission of the modifier is still grammatically complete and conveys a coherent meaning; it is not ideal for a sentence on the GMAT to reference information not included in the sentence, but doing so is not grammatically incorrect; as such, although Option B is flawed, it is not flawed enough to be outright eliminated, and the other four answer choices have clearer and more pertinent errors.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM

Option Elimination -

(A) Because of the Sun, which is 400 times larger than the Moon, but also 400 times farther away from Earth, so both the Sun and the Moon have the same apparent size in the sky. - "Because of" introduces a prepositional phrase; we need some noun or action it modifies. But here we have "so," the coordinating conjunction. For what? Are we combining two independent clauses? No. I'm afraid that's not right.

(B) The Sun, which is 400 times larger than the Moon, is also 400 times farther away from Earth, so the Sun and the Moon have the same apparent size in the sky. Ok. We have an independent clause combined by "so" with another independent clause. Moreover, it conveys the effect of "The Sun, which is 400 times larger than the Moon, is also 400 times farther away from Earth."

(C) The Sun and the Moon have the same apparent size in the sky because the Sun, which is 400 times larger than the Moon, and also 400 times farther away from Earth. - "because" introduces a subordinate clause. But what do we have after "because" modifiers? Wrong.

(D) Four hundred times larger than the Moon and 400 times farther away from Earth, the Sun has the same apparent size in the sky as the Moon's. - Moon's what? Size?. The better way to represent that is
The sun has the apparent size in the sky as that of the moon - there that goes to the size.
Or, The sun has the same apparent size in the sky as the Moon - here we are comparing the size of the Sun and the moon. It's ok to omit "that of" to avoid repetition.
Or, The sun has the same apparent size in the sky as the Moon does - here, "does" refers back to the action or the state mentioned earlier, which is having "the same apparent size in the sky."

(E) Four hundred times larger than the Moon and also 400 times farther away from Earth, so the Sun in the sky has the same apparent size as the Moon. - We have a modifier, then we need a noun it modifies. Why "So"? Are we combining two independent clauses? No. I'm afraid that's not right. Also, avoid "and also" - it's redundant.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts