Last visit was: 01 May 2024, 20:23 It is currently 01 May 2024, 20:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63740 [1]
Given Kudos: 1775
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [1]
Given Kudos: 134
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.58
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63740 [1]

Send PM
Re: Behind every book review there are two key figures: a book review edit [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
singhall wrote:
Too many reviews of books that readers will have trouble finding in stores would be inappropriate.

My understanding: too many reviews of the book-> too many people read it-> they get tempted to read the book-> they look for the book-> they don't find it.

OE says The passage refers to books that readers will have trouble finding in stores; however, this is more plausibly read as readers of books rather than readers of book reviews

As a reader of books, I am having trouble understanding what are we trying to imply here? Generally readers of books have trouble locating a book in stores? How is the passage related to it? Also the OA is D which talks about review readers' expectations. The passage hasn't really talked about it. I agree with the explanation -> The passage indicates that book review editors in general feel responsible to meet their readers' expectations by providing reviews of books that are newsworthy, advertised, and written about elsewhere. Yes! this is implied. But the word 'timely reviews', how did we infer that.

Could someone please point the gap in my understanding here.

Thanks

Divya

Sorry for the delay!

The word "timely" simply suggests that the reviews are being published around the same time that those heavily advertised books are hitting the shelves in bookstores. If an editor fails to publish a review of the highly advertised book that has it's own prominent display section at the bookstore, people will think that the editor was caught napping, and failed to do his or her job.

So even though the "timely" part isn't directly stated in the passage, it can be inferred from the context.

As for (E), don't worry too much about the wording in the OE -- the explanations aren't written by the question-writers (or anybody else at GMAC) and should be taken with a grain of salt. The important part is that nothing in the passages gives the impression that readers will go out of their way to hunt for hard-to-find books. The passage simply implies that it would be inappropriate to publish a ton of reviews of books that are really hard to find -- those reviews would be pretty useless for most people.

I hope that helps!­­
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 364 [0]
Given Kudos: 162
GMAT 1: 730 Q46 V45
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Re: Behind every book review there are two key figures: a book review edit [#permalink]
GMATNinja

Could you please help out and explain the reasoning behind question 7?
This is a CR type assumption question, isn't the use of "only" in the right answer choice a bit radical and out of the scope to use it as an assumption?

I think the question stats speak for itself, we need an expert explaining the answer choice.

Thank you very much
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
For Q4. The passage provides information to answer which of the following questions?

The correct answer is : B. Are publishers' efforts to persuade bookstores to order certain books generally effective?

Can an expert guide me where in the passage, is the information mentioned in option B answered.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 926 [0]
Given Kudos: 47
Send PM
OjhaShishir wrote:
Also, for Q5, when the correct answer says that book review readers expect to see timely reviews of widely publicized books in the periodicals they read, are we referring to the following line:

"Not having such books reviewed might give the impression that the editor was caught napping".

Yes, that is right. Though the OE quotes a different line(newsworthy, advertised, and written about elsewhere.... this is about few of the less popular titles reviewed ) the question is about widely publicized books and the above quoted line is regarding the same.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 243 [0]
Given Kudos: 54
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GPA: 4
WE:Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
chrtpmdr wrote:
GMATNinja

Could you please help out and explain the reasoning behind question 7?
This is a CR type assumption question, isn't the use of "only" in the right answer choice a bit radical and out of the scope to use it as an assumption?

I think the question stats speak for itself, we need an expert explaining the answer choice.

Thank you very much

Here's the relevant portion of the passage:

Quote:
The book review editor sent out a greater number of books than reviews he actually intended to publish. If a review was unenthusiastic, he reasoned that the book was not important enough to be discussed immediately, and if good reviews of enough other books came in, the unenthusiastic review might never be printed.

The word "only" in choice (A) is appropriate because the editor's method is very clear cut:

• If the review is unenthusiastic, then the book is not important enough to discuss immediately (i.e. then the book does NOT have great worth).
  • Without any other information, we have to assume that the editor's logic is simply, "unenthusiastic review = book does NOT have great worth," and that "good" reviews will be printed before unenthusiastic reviews (reviews that are NOT good).

What if an important book (a book of great worth) receives an unenthusiastic review? Well, following the editor's algorithm, that unenthusiastic review might never be printed!

• The editor thinks that his/her method will weed out unworthy/unimportant books.
  • But that logic does NOT hold if worthy/important books get unenthusiastic reviews.
  • In order of the editor's logic to hold, we need to assume that worthy/important books will NOT receive unenthusiastic reviews (or that worthy/important books) ONLY receive "good" reviews.

"Only" is a bit extreme, but it is perfectly appropriate given the information in the passage. Despite myths to the contrary, there is nothing inherently wrong with "extreme" language in an answer choice, so don't cross off an answer choice just because it seems too radical!

"The unenthusiastic reviewers were paid promptly anyway, but they learned that if they wanted their material to be printed, it was advisable to be kind."
Above line from suggest that reviewers might be biased. Hence I chose "C"
Reviewers might hide their true opinions in order to have their reviews published.
How to eliminate C ?
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 926 [0]
Given Kudos: 47
Send PM
Harsh2111s wrote:

"The unenthusiastic reviewers were paid promptly anyway, but they learned that if they wanted their material to be printed, it was advisable to be kind."
Above line from suggest that reviewers might be biased. Hence I chose "C"
Reviewers might hide their true opinions in order to have their reviews published.
How to eliminate C ?

What you said is true. But did the book editor make this assumption? If he did, How can he expect a bad review from a reviewer, knowing that the reviewer will lie to get his review published? After all, a review is expected to reveal the true worth of the book, isn't it? And if the book editor knew that the review doesn't reveal the true worth, how'd he differentiate between a genuine review and fake review? All the reviews he gets will be a enthusiastic review and how'd he choose which reviews to not publish? After all, he wants to filter out unenthusiastic reviews and not publish it. In this scenario, he'd get ZERO unenthusiastic reviews if he made this assumption.

The sequence of the events is below:

Book editor asks book to be reviewed -->(1) Reviewer gives good review ---> Gets published
......................................................-->(2) Reviewer gives bad review ----> Doesn't get published--> Unpublished reviewer stops giving bad reviews to get published

Thus hiding the opinions happens only in the "Reviewer" side of the events and the Book editor is unaware of this.

"C. Reviewers might hide their true opinions in order to have their reviews published." this could be an assumption made by the reader of the passage or general audience or may be by the book editor contemplating in the future.

But not while the sequence of events happened. He was unaware of this and thats why he used such a "brilliant" system. Had he been aware, he would have avoided it. Why'd he wantedly fall in a trap?

Hope I cleared why (C) is out of contention.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
Can Expert explain why A in the Question 4 is not right?

"Editors can risk having a few of the less popular
titles reviewed, but they must consider what will be
newsworthy, advertised, and written about elsewhere."

does the above indicates they must consider the commercial success?
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 683 [0]
Given Kudos: 1316
Send PM
FlyingWhale wrote:

Hi FlyingWhale,

Please refer the answer: https://gmatclub.com/forum/behind-every ... l#p2434142

Let me know if your doubts are still not cleared.

Thanks.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
bm2201 wrote:
FlyingWhale wrote:

Hi FlyingWhale,

Thanks.

Hi, Thanks for the reply. The link you provided actually leads me to the same thread. I don't think anyone explain why A in Q4 is not a right answer yet?
Please share your thoughts! Thank you!!!
Retired Moderator
Send PM
FlyingWhale wrote:
bm2201 wrote:
FlyingWhale wrote:

Hi FlyingWhale,

Thanks.

Hi, Thanks for the reply. The link you provided actually leads me to the same thread. I don't think anyone explain why A in Q4 is not a right answer yet?

Hi FlyingWhale,

Option A: "Would most book review editors prefer to have books reviewed without regard to the probable commercial success of the books?", asks that whether most book review editor prefer reviewing books, without any regards to the commercial success.

Now this question can be answer through the lines that you have mentioned: "Editors can risk having a few of the less popular titles reviewed, but they must consider what will be newsworthy, advertised, and written about elsewhere", implying that for editors the quality of any title or book is more important rather than the popularity or the monetary value attached to it, so yes they can risk the commercial success of the a book and reject it.

Hope this Helps.
Thanks.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
bm2201 wrote:
FlyingWhale wrote:
bm2201 wrote:
FlyingWhale wrote:

Hi FlyingWhale,

Thanks.

Hi FlyingWhale,

Option A: "Would most book review editors prefer to have books reviewed without regard to the probable commercial success of the books?", asks that whether most book review editor prefer reviewing books, without any regards to the commercial success.

Now this question can be answer through the lines that you have mentioned: "Editors can risk having a few of the less popular titles reviewed, but they must consider what will be newsworthy, advertised, and written about elsewhere", implying that for editors the quality of any title or book is more important rather than the popularity or the monetary value attached to it, so yes they can risk the commercial success of the a book and reject it.

Hope this Helps.
Thanks.

Hmmm.. so you are saying that the passage can answer the question, which makes A a valid choice, right?

I am confused.
Retired Moderator
Send PM
FlyingWhale wrote:
bm2201 wrote:
FlyingWhale wrote:
bm2201 wrote:
FlyingWhale wrote:

Hi FlyingWhale,

Thanks.

Hi FlyingWhale,

Hope this Helps.
Thanks.

Hmmm.. so you are saying that the passage can answer the question, which makes A a valid choice, right?

I am confused.

Sorry, my bad, I guess, I was having two different trains of thoughts we led to confusion. Though from above we can say that there could be commercial success attached to the books, but we cannot implicit it with certainty, thus eliminating Option A, as it could be true for some of the editors, but we cannot ascertain whether its true of most of the editors.

Hope this Helps.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 847 [0]
Given Kudos: 381
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
this passage gives me headache as most of the points are not mentioned directly and need to consider a lot over the top while answering such questions ( 4,5,6,8)?

Could you please advise on tackling these type of questions?
GMATNinja, SajjadAhmad, GMATNinjaTwo, bm2201
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 847 [0]
Given Kudos: 381
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
Behind every book review there are two key figures: a book review edit [#permalink]
GMATNinja wrote:
imSKR wrote:
this passage gives me headache as most of the points are not mentioned directly and need to consider a lot over the top while answering such questions ( 4,5,6,8)?

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "these types of questions." Are you talking about hard RC passages in general, which require you to "read between the lines"?

If so, there's no easy answer to that question, unfortunately. Sometimes, it's just a question of developing your overall reading skills, and that can take time. This long-winded beginner's guide to RC might give you some context, or you can check out our RC videos.

I hope that helps a bit!

Sorry for not mentioning explicitly before , These type of questions I meant: Question is asked something which is not directly mentioned in the passage but we need to assume a step further to come near to an answer.Yes, questions which need to "read between the lines"

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
QUESTION5:

Quote:
Q5: The passage didn’t talk directly anything about book review readers

Quote:
Not having such books reviewed might give the impression that the editor was caught napping, ⠀⠀ whereas too many reviews of books that readers will have trouble finding in stores would be inappropriate.

But we need to assume
Quote:
D. They expect to see timely reviews of widely publicized books in the periodicals they read.

But other choices are not too far from assumption (finding in stores..xx)
Quote:
C. They use book reviews in order to gauge whether a book is likely to endure.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
QUESTION8:
Quote:
Q8:It can be inferred that, as a prospective book buyer, the author of the passage would generally respond to highly enthusiastic reviews of new books with

book buyer is not talked directly in the passage and highly enthusiastic reviews are also not talked directly in the passage.
Quote:
Before publication, editors receive news releases and printer's proofs of certain books, signifying that the publishers will make special efforts to promote these books. They will be heavily advertised and probably b among the books that most bookstores order in quantity.

Most editors print favorable and unfavorable reviews; however, the content of the review may be influenced by the editor.

It is hard to imagine what a prospective book buyer can think on seeing highly enthusiastic reviews , he maybe delighted to see good reviews ( amusement- personal experience) , why can’t he be resign to whatever is written ( could be a cold buyer) , but correct answer is skepticism because “ skepticism is most likely to be the author's most usual response.”

A. resignation
B. amusement
C. condemnation
D. skepticism
E. disinterest
QUESTION6:

Quote:
Q6. “brilliant” , would LEAST change the meaning of the sentence

Quote:
. A generation ago, a newspaper used a brilliant system of choosing which books to feature.

E. absurd= because it is weird way as per right answer. In fact this could be smart way as well.
A. showy; meaning brilliance but it is not the right answer
B. articulate : meaning express clearly ( because now editor no need to think deeply, he can take a call with the results in front of him)

QUESTION4:
Quote:
Q4: The passage provides information to answer which of the following questions?

publishers will make special efforts to promote these books. They will be heavily advertised and probably be among the books that most bookstores order in quantity
Quote:
B. Are publishers' efforts to persuade bookstores to order certain books generally effective?

Efforts may or may not be generally effective as per given information in the passage but need to assume.
Quote:
A. Would most book review editors prefer to have books reviewed without regard to the probable commercial success of the books?

This choice is very close because editor will consider other factors ( commercial success is one of them) to write reviews. But the option was rejected because “ this does not necessarily indicate what most editors would prefer”
Quote:
Editors can risk having a few of the less popular  titles reviewed, but they must consider what will be newsworthy, advertised, and written about elsewhere.
⠀If these were the only factors influencing editors, few books that stand little chance of selling well would ever be reviewed

So the question was: how to tackle these type of questions in exam timings. The correct answer choices are remotely connected. These questions are not closed loop type of questions and even not mentioned explicitly in the passage.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 102 [0]
Given Kudos: 477
Send PM
gmatt1476 wrote:
6. Which of the following words, if substituted for “brilliant” in line 26, would LEAST change the meaning of the sentence?

A. showy
B. articulate
C. literate
D. stingy
E. absurd

Evaluation

Which word, if substituted for “brilliant” in the sentence, would least alter the meaning of the sentence? In other words, we must pick the word we could substitute for brilliant in the sentence without significantly changing the meaning of the sentence.

Note that neither articulate nor literate would be an apt modifier of the word system. Stingy indicates a financial use of the system, which seems inappropriate.

Eliminating these options leaves only showy and absurd as candidates. Given these choices, it is fairly clear that brilliant is meant ironically. We are told that the unenthusiastic reviewers quickly learned that if they wanted their material to be printed, it was advisable to be kind.

A. Nothing in the passage conveys that the system, ironically designated brilliant, was showy, that is, eye-catching.

B. Articulate could describe fluent or coherent speech, description, or writing, but it does not appropriately modify the noun system in this context.

C. The adjective literate does not appropriately modify system; furthermore, it fails to convey a clear meaning that would match the ironic meaning of the modifier brilliant.

D. The system does not seem to have a monetary purpose, so stingy would not fit. Note that the final sentence of the paragraph suggests that the system self-selects for books that are likely to be successful, potentially at the expense of writers who write “unenthusiastic reviews.” Nevertheless, the passage notes that the unpublished writers would still be paid, so their risk lies in not having their work read rather than in not being paid for their work.

E. Correct. Among the answer choices, absurd best captures the ironic use of brilliant and preserves the meaning of the sentence as a whole.

The correct answer is E.

VeritasKarishma

Wouldn't stingy (mean) fit better here

Pls explain how Absurd is better
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63740 [0]

Send PM
Expert Reply
imSKR wrote:
GMATNinja wrote:
imSKR wrote:

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "these types of questions." Are you talking about hard RC passages in general, which require you to "read between the lines"?

If so, there's no easy answer to that question, unfortunately. Sometimes, it's just a question of developing your overall reading skills, and that can take time. This long-winded beginner's guide to RC might give you some context, or you can check out our RC videos.

I hope that helps a bit!

Sorry for not mentioning explicitly before , These type of questions I meant: Question is asked something which is not directly mentioned in the passage but we need to assume a step further to come near to an answer.Yes, questions which need to "read between the lines"

QUESTION5:

Quote:
Q5: The passage didn’t talk directly anything about book review readers

Quote:
Not having such books reviewed might give the impression that the editor was caught napping, ⠀⠀ whereas too many reviews of books that readers will have trouble finding in stores would be inappropriate.

But we need to assume
Quote:
D. They expect to see timely reviews of widely publicized books in the periodicals they read.

But other choices are not too far from assumption (finding in stores..xx)
Quote:
C. They use book reviews in order to gauge whether a book is likely to endure.

QUESTION8:
Quote:
Q8:It can be inferred that, as a prospective book buyer, the author of the passage would generally respond to highly enthusiastic reviews of new books with

book buyer is not talked directly in the passage and highly enthusiastic reviews are also not talked directly in the passage.
Quote:
Before publication, editors receive news releases and printer's proofs of certain books, signifying that the publishers will make special efforts to promote these books. They will be heavily advertised and probably b among the books that most bookstores order in quantity.

Most editors print favorable and unfavorable reviews; however, the content of the review may be influenced by the editor.

It is hard to imagine what a prospective book buyer can think on seeing highly enthusiastic reviews , he maybe delighted to see good reviews ( amusement- personal experience) , why can’t he be resign to whatever is written ( could be a cold buyer) , but correct answer is skepticism because “ skepticism is most likely to be the author's most usual response.”

A. resignation
B. amusement
C. condemnation
D. skepticism
E. disinterest
QUESTION6:

Quote:
Q6. “brilliant” , would LEAST change the meaning of the sentence

Quote:
. A generation ago, a newspaper used a brilliant system of choosing which books to feature.

E. absurd= because it is weird way as per right answer. In fact this could be smart way as well.
A. showy; meaning brilliance but it is not the right answer
B. articulate : meaning express clearly ( because now editor no need to think deeply, he can take a call with the results in front of him)

QUESTION4:
Quote:
Q4: The passage provides information to answer which of the following questions?

publishers will make special efforts to promote these books. They will be heavily advertised and probably be among the books that most bookstores order in quantity
Quote:
B. Are publishers' efforts to persuade bookstores to order certain books generally effective?

Efforts may or may not be generally effective as per given information in the passage but need to assume.
Quote:
A. Would most book review editors prefer to have books reviewed without regard to the probable commercial success of the books?

This choice is very close because editor will consider other factors ( commercial success is one of them) to write reviews. But the option was rejected because “ this does not necessarily indicate what most editors would prefer”
Quote:
Editors can risk having a few of the less popular  titles reviewed, but they must consider what will be newsworthy, advertised, and written about elsewhere.
⠀If these were the only factors influencing editors, few books that stand little chance of selling well would ever be reviewed

So the question was: how to tackle these type of questions in exam timings. The correct answer choices are remotely connected. These questions are not closed loop type of questions and even not mentioned explicitly in the passage.

You're right that some of these questions aren't discussed directly in the passage. That makes sense, though, when you look at the exact wording of the questions themselves:

Question 5: "The passage suggests which of the following about book review readers?"

Question 8: "It can be inferred that, as a prospective book buyer, the author of the passage would generally respond to highly enthusiastic reviews of new books with..."

If the passage just "suggests" something, then it doesn't need to outright say that thing. And if you have to "infer" something, then that thing is DEFINITELY not going to be present in the passage. These are fairly common question types, and it would not be unusual to encounter questions like this on the test.

For Question 4, there is evidence for (B), but no evidence at all for (A).

If books that are promoted by publishers will "probably be among the books that most bookstores order in quantity," then we can say that it is more likely than not that the promotional efforts worked. It's not much of a leap to then say that these promotional activities are generally (i.e., "usually" or "in most cases") effective. (B) is looking good.

(A), on the other hand, talks about what editors prefer. Sure, the passage talks about factors beyond commercial success that the editors consider, but do we know that they would prefer to focus on these other factors? Not really. In fact, the passage tells us that editors consider these other things because they "feel some concern." That doesn't sound incredibly enthusiastic.

There is direct evidence in the passage for (A) as the correct answer to question 4.

Your reasoning for Question 6 is solid.

With regard to timing -- this is a tough passage, and you're right that some of the questions feel a bit twisty and difficult to pin down. All you can do on the test is:

1) Have a solid and efficient process for reading the passage the first time through. More on that in this article and some of these videos.
    2) Assess each question as you get to it. If you're twisting in the wind, it might be necessary to let that question go and spend your time elsewhere on the test.

There's really not much you can do beyond that. This is kind of unsatisfying, but also an elegant and simple approach -- have your technique and process down to a science, and be prepared to bail out of problems if it's going to take too long.

I hope that helps!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Can an expert help me with question 7. I have read all the answers on the forum but everyone seems to be equating the words "unenthusiastic" and "good". An "enthusiastic" review could be good or bad, positive or negative. right?

and because of the above reason, I could never arrive at the OA. Can an expert please help me with this question?
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13982 posts