Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 11:00 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 11:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: Sub 505 Levelx   Number Propertiesx   Word Problemsx                     
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38838 [154]
Given Kudos: 220
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GPA: 2.81
WE:Business Development (Real Estate)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619208 [28]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22060 [13]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
General Discussion
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619208 [4]
Send PM
Re: Bouquets are to be made using white tulips and red tulips, and the rat [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:
AbdurRakib wrote:
Bouquets are to be made using white tulips and red tulips, and the ratio of the number of white tulips to the number of red tulips is to be the same in each bouquet. If there are 15 white tulips and 85 red tulips available for the bouquets, what is the greatest number of bouquets that can be made using all the tulips available?

A. 3
B. 5
C. 8
D. 10
E. 13

Since we should use all the tulips available, then the number of bouquets must be a factor of both 15 and 85. For example, we cannot have 2 bouquets since we cannot divide 15 white tulips into 2 bouquets without one tulip left over.

The greatest common factor of 15 and 85 is 5.

Answer: B.

Similar question to practice: https://gmatclub.com/forum/what-is-the- ... 67914.html
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 29940 [34]
Given Kudos: 799
Send PM
Re: Bouquets are to be made using white tulips and red tulips, and the rat [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
AbdurRakib wrote:
Bouquets are to be made using white tulips and red tulips, and the ratio of the number of white tulips to the number of red tulips is to be the same in each bouquet. If there are 15 white tulips and 85 red tulips available for the bouquets, what is the greatest number of bouquets that can be made using all the tulips available?

A. 3
B. 5
C. 8
D. 10
E. 13

Let's use some prime factorization...

We have 15 white tulips and 85 red tulips
15 = (3)(5)
85 = (5)(17)

So, for the white tulips, we can create 5 groups of 3 flowers
So, for the red tulips, we can create 5 groups of 17 flowers

This means we can create 5 BOUQUETS in which each bouquet has 3 red tulips and 17 white tulips
In other words, the ratio of red tulips to white tulips is the same for each bouquet (3 : 17).

Answer:

RELATED VIDEOS

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Solution:

Step 1: 15 white tulips and 85 red tulips are available for bouquets. The bouquets must be made from these tulips using the same ratio of white tulips and red tulips from the 15 white tulips and 85 red tulips provided.

Step 2: Since all the tulips available must be used without any left over, then the number of bouquets possible must be a factor of the available tulips. Hence, the highest possible common factor of 15 white tulips and 85 red tulips is obtained as follows:

15 = 3 x 5
85 = 5 x 17

5 is common to both 15 and 85. Therefore, the greatest number of bouquets that can be made is 5 and the answer is
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2287 [8]
Given Kudos: 66
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V45
GMAT 2: 780 Q50 V47
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V45
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Video Solution from Quant Reasoning:
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7628 [0]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Top Contributor
CONCEPT:HCF of Numbers (Highest common factor)

Let us say the number of bouquets to be made =x.
x has to be a whole number. This implies x has to be a factor of both 15 and 85.
x also has to the greatest such number.

Hence, we are looking for the HCF(5,85)that is 5.
Thus, number of bouquets or "x" =5. (B)

Hope this helps. Keep studying. :)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.53
WE:Supply Chain Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Kudos
I understand prime factoring but I don't understand why 15 bouquets can't be made with 1 white rose in each and 5 red.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 29940 [1]
Given Kudos: 799
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
raekay18 wrote:
I understand prime factoring but I don't understand why 15 bouquets can't be made with 1 white rose in each and 5 red.

15 bouquets with 5 red roses in each bouquet would require 75 red roses.
The question tells us that we have a 85 red roses and that we must use all of them
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Status:GMAT/GRE Tutor l Admission Consultant l On-Demand Course creator
Own Kudos [?]: 13391 [2]
Given Kudos: 124
GMAT: QUANT+DI EXPERT
Schools: IIM (A) ISB '24
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V41
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
AbdurRakib wrote:

A. 3
B. 5
C. 8
D. 10
E. 13

Wanna make solving the Official Questions interesting???

Click here and solve 1000+ Official Questions with Video solutions as Timed Sectional Tests

Answer: Option B

Video solution by GMATinsight

Get TOPICWISE: Concept Videos | Practice Qns 100+ | Official Qns 50+ | 100% Video solution CLICK HERE.
Two MUST join YouTube channels : GMATinsight (1000+ FREE Videos) and GMATclub :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Quote:
The question clearly states that each bouquet must have the same ratio of white to red tulips, but it doesn't say that each bouquet must have the same number of white tulips in it. Therefore, why does the author say that each bouquet must have the same number of white tulips in it? I'm guessing the key lies in the fact that all of the tulips have to be used.
My question: How does the fact that all tulips have to be used lead to the corollary that each bouquet has to have the same number of white tulips?
The only stipulation in the question is that each bouquet has to have the same RATIO OF WHITE TO RED TULIPS.

I have the same question as the one previously mentioned. The question only says the "ratio of white to red tulips" should be the same in each bouquet, but never says the number of tulips must be the same in each bouquet. Taking one example bouquet A has 2 white and 10 red tulips, so the ratio is 1:5; bouquet B has 4 white and 20 tulips, so the ratio is also 1:5. Why all solutions in the thread default to the same number of white/red tulips in each bouquet?

Need help, thanks in advance.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 192
Send PM
Bunuel

Bouquets are to be made using white tulips and red tulips, and the ratio of the number of white tulips to the number of red tulips is to be the same in each bouquet

the ration should be 1 :1 how can assume as 3:17?
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619208 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
romasharma1998 wrote:
Bunuel

Bouquets are to be made using white tulips and red tulips, and the ratio of the number of white tulips to the number of red tulips is to be the same in each bouquet

the ration should be 1 :1 how can assume as 3:17?

"..the ratio of the number of white tulips to the number of red tulips is to be the same in each bouquet"

The above means that the RATIO of white to red tulips in EACH bouquet must be the same, say x:y in the first, second, ...

Hope it's clear.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619208 [2]
Send PM
Kudos