Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 16:03 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 16:03

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22063 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: 22063 [4]
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1586 [1]
Given Kudos: 579
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GPA: 3.35
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: ESR Review & Analysis - [Post Enhanced Score Report Requests here] [#permalink]
Kudos
HI Experts - ScottTargetTestPrep ccooley MentorTutoring

Can you please help me to analysis the below four graph

Attachment:
File comment: ESR_Review
ESR_Review.jpg
ESR_Review.jpg [ 115.25 KiB | Viewed 4169 times ]
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6860 [1]
Given Kudos: 500
Re: ESR Review & Analysis - [Post Enhanced Score Report Requests here] [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hello, NandishSS. Apart from the graph in the bottom-left, I cannot tell exactly which section the graph indicates. However, I will draw attention to whatever I do notice about each graph in hopes that such information may prove beneficial to you.

Top-left: This looks like a record of the overall performance on a section, either Verbal or Quant. It appears as though the test-taker was struggling with Medium-level questions, as indicated by the purple Incorrect line, so the difficulty never got bumped up. You can see from the light blue line that the Correct responses were always at a level below the incorrect responses. At a certain point, however, in the third leg of the section, the test-taker had finally reached a stasis, the point at which the algorithm had found the correct level of question difficulty for that particular test-taker. As would be expected, performance was similar at that level to how it had been before, observable by the symmetrical--V-shaped--performance statistics from the second to third to last points of capture. This was a low-medium-level performance for the test-taker in that section.

Top-right: Every question in the first quarter of the section was answered correctly, which is why the difficulty of the questions steadily increased, but also why the Correct line is the only one visible. The test-taker began to miss some questions in the second part of the section, but not consistently enough for the bar to be lowered substantially. You can see, for instance, that the Correct dot is only slightly below the Incorrect one. After the halfway point, the test-taker started making more mistakes, so the difficulty level dropped more, and even the Correct responses were to questions slightly less difficult, on average, than those that were missed. Again, the performance of the test-taker had been more or less dialed in by the time the third section had been completed. The difficulty of the questions went up slightly as performance increased, but the questions that the test-taker was missing or getting correct were on par with each other, in terms of difficulty. Overall, this was a medium-high performance.

Bottom-left: This appears to be a Verbal graph, although on recent ESRs I have seen, there is no bottom bar indicating numbers that would correspond to the old 41-question section or the newer 36-question section. This was a pretty strong showing from the test-taker, who missed medium-hard questions in the first portion of the test but was consistently answering the Medium questions correctly. Thus, the question difficulty was increasing all the while. In the second portion of the section, the test-taker was exposed to some very difficult questions but could not answer them correctly, so the question difficulty decreased from sections two to three. In the third section, there is a sad story that plays out, with the test-taker getting roughly the same level of questions from the previous section Correct but answering lower-level questions, those at a completely Medium level, incorrectly. Perhaps the mental challenge of those tough questions from section two had taken its toll, or perhaps the test-taker was distracted at this point. Whatever the case may have been, it is a shame, in my view, to see such an inversion in an ESR. It leads to negative thinking, as in, Why couldn't I get those easier questions right in the third part? What would have happened if I had? Should I take the test again? The overall difficulty of the questions dipped somewhat between the third and fourth portions of the section, but at least the inversion disappeared and the test-taker was missing only harder questions on average.

Bottom-right: This is like a hybrid of the top-left and top-right graphs, with an equilibrium being reached around the second portion of the section between questions missed and questions answered correctly (again, in terms of difficulty). Seeing such a convergence is a good thing, really, showing that the questions the test-taker was seeing fell in line with that person's ability in that particular measure. The near flatlining that occurs afterwards among questions missed is what you would expect to see. The third portion of the section appears to have been the hardest (again) for this test-taker. The Correct answers were at a lower level, but pretty much whenever the test-taker had the opportunity to work on harder questions, those answers tended to be Incorrect. Thus, the question difficulty did not really increase thereafter. The bar had already been set, and the convergence at the end more or less shows that once again, the algorithm had found the right spot for the student to perform consistently on questions. This was an average performance in the section, nothing great, but nothing horrible either.

I hope that helps. Details on the ESR are given in the blue Summary box for each section.

- Andrew
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi NandishSS,

I remember discussing an earlier ESR with you (from August of last year). Have you taken the GMAT again since then? If you have an ESR from a more recent attempt (or attempts), then I'll be happy to analyze them for you - but I would need to see the FULL ESR. If you would prefer to not publicly post that information, then you can feel free to PM me directly.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1586 [0]
Send PM
MentorTutoring , Thanks for the analysis. These four graphs are of Verbal with different scores.

EMPOWERgmatRichC - I haven't taken yet. But I'll soon :-)
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6860 [0]
Expert Reply
NandishSS wrote:
MentorTutoring , Thanks for the analysis. These four graphs are of Verbal with different scores.

EMPOWERgmatRichC - I haven't taken yet. But I'll soon :-)

You are quite welcome, NandishSS. I would have guessed that the top-right graph was another Verbal section, since Quant tends to kick up faster or zigzag more in the beginning than Verbal, but I suppose that the takeaway here is not to let your guard down in the third portion. I suspect that time pressure or mental fatigue starts to kick in at that point for most test-takers, but it will be your job to build a mind of steel to approach each question with fresh eyes. You can work on this through longer practice sets or mocks as you go deeper into your prep. (Any mind will crack with enough time and pressure.)

Good luck with your studies.

- Andrew
Own Kudos [?]: 22063 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi NandishSS,

When exactly is your next GMAT? Do you need any advice regarding your study plan?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 92 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Strategy, Leadership
GMAT 1: 670 Q51 V29
GMAT 2: 740 Q51 V38 (Online)
GPA: 4
Send PM
Hello experts,

Please find below the link for my ESR:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1hbTjN ... uxp_CEIDPf

I appeared for GMAT in Dec'19. I am planning to re-take the test in early July with a goal of 700+. I had studied:
Aristotle SC
Powerscore CR
OG 2019
Manhattan Advanced Quant
Kaplan Advanced Quant question set

Manahattan Prep tests (range 640-690, V 29-34, Q 45-47)
GMATClub tests (helped a lot for Quant)
Official GMAT practice exams 1-2 (710,710)

Found Manhattan guides too lengthy and also boring to read.

I was already good in quants and should have done more practice for verbal (that's what I think). I took a gap so that now I could start afresh starting with verbal fundamentals and then continuing practice from official sources. I would be grateful if someone on this forum could help me understand the best way to proceed further. It would be helpful if some insights can be generated from ESR in terms of timing, accuracy, and attempts for different sections of the Verbal section.

ESR mentions "Analysis / Critique and Construction / Plan" sections in CR. Can someone tell what CR topics actually comes under these?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1586 [0]
Send PM
HI rakshitsood21,

Quote:
ESR mentions "Analysis / Critique and Construction / Plan" sections in CR. Can someone tell what CR topics actually comes under these?

You can refer the below post

https://gmatclub.com/forum/esr-analysis ... l#p2433357
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 650 Q44 V35
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V38
WE:Analyst (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
Hi Experts,

I took the GMAT last week with extremely intense preparation (20+hrs per week) in the 4 weeks before it and consistent preparation since March. Unfortunately COVID-19 delayed my test date a little bit as well, but here we are...
In general I felt very well prepared this time. The official prep exams were all between 710 and 740, which is the range I am generally shooting for (my overall goal is 90+ percentile). I also did a not very wholehearted approach in the beginning of last year, but the preparation was more than insufficient. However, I felt like I knew how the test feels and guessed that the stress problems I had last time would be gone.
Unfortunately I only managed to get a 700 this time, which puts me in the 88th percentile. Therefore I want to do the test again in the not too distant future.
While Quant is generally my stronger side in both GMATs I was under pressure and ended up rushing in the second half to the Q section. Both times I scored a disappointing 44 when I expected at least 48. I am a little lost how I should tackle this problem. On the one hand I know I need to control my stress levels during the exam better. On the other hand there must be gaps in my knowledge that create this stress. It would be great if you could advise me based on my ESR from last week.

Studies:
- Prepared with ExamPal, very good for the basics
- After completing the course I moved over to the official questions from Wiley and got the advanced question pack somewhere down the line
- I did the 6 prep exams on mba.com prior to the exam to get in the right mode: Scored 690,710,730,720,730,740

Goals:
- 90+ Percentile (at least a 720, because I know I can do that)
- Planning to apply later in the summer for the fall intakes next year. Will most likely shoot for European B-Schools. LBS is my favourite

Unfortunately I cannot post with attachments yet, so please let me know when you are interested in my ESR. I am most interested in the skills section in Q, because I want to understand what my weak points could be. Thanks in advance!

-- Max
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6860 [2]
Kudos
Expert Reply
maber93 wrote:
Hi Experts,

I took the GMAT last week with extremely intense preparation (20+hrs per week) in the 4 weeks before it and consistent preparation since March. Unfortunately COVID-19 delayed my test date a little bit as well, but here we are...
In general I felt very well prepared this time. The official prep exams were all between 710 and 740, which is the range I am generally shooting for (my overall goal is 90+ percentile). I also did a not very wholehearted approach in the beginning of last year, but the preparation was more than insufficient. However, I felt like I knew how the test feels and guessed that the stress problems I had last time would be gone.
Unfortunately I only managed to get a 700 this time, which puts me in the 88th percentile. Therefore I want to do the test again in the not too distant future.
While Quant is generally my stronger side in both GMATs I was under pressure and ended up rushing in the second half to the Q section. Both times I scored a disappointing 44 when I expected at least 48. I am a little lost how I should tackle this problem. On the one hand I know I need to control my stress levels during the exam better. On the other hand there must be gaps in my knowledge that create this stress. It would be great if you could advise me based on my ESR from last week.

Studies:
- Prepared with ExamPal, very good for the basics
- After completing the course I moved over to the official questions from Wiley and got the advanced question pack somewhere down the line
- I did the 6 prep exams on mba.com prior to the exam to get in the right mode: Scored 690,710,730,720,730,740

Goals:
- 90+ Percentile (at least a 720, because I know I can do that)
- Planning to apply later in the summer for the fall intakes next year. Will most likely shoot for European B-Schools. LBS is my favourite

Unfortunately I cannot post with attachments yet, so please let me know when you are interested in my ESR. I am most interested in the skills section in Q, because I want to understand what my weak points could be. Thanks in advance!

-- Max

Hello, Max. It is not uncommon to see a drop of 20 points or so between practice tests and the actual test. Certain test-day factors seem to play a bigger role than many test-takers anticipate. With that said, a 700 is a decent score, but I agree that if I had achieved four practice test scores of 720+, I would want to earn such a score on the real exam. If you have not already, you may want to peruse this e-gmat article on GMAT™ scores and LBS admissions, based on 2018 and 2017 cohorts. One part that stands out to me is that among GMAT Club members who reported scores of 700-740, there was a high percentage who made it to the interview round. If the rest of your application looks to be in good shape, then you could consider applying with the 700.

In any case, it is unfortunate that you mention wanting an analysis in the skills section in Q, since I find the broad approach used by GMAC™ on those very measures to be the least helpful on the ESR. For instance, what does the category Value/Order/Factors mean if you did so-so? Were you great at two of the three, but poor in another, or did you make mistakes across the board that balanced out to the percents you see? Same with Counting/Sets/Series. It is hard to tease out meaningful discussion points when that is as far as GMAC™ goes in providing sub-scores. Even Geometry, which is at least a single subject, can mean any of a number of things. The best you can do on your own or with the help of a professional is to comb through what you had been missing in practice to see how those questions may map onto the data the ESR shows.

You may feel free to attach your ESR in a PM. I would be happy to take a look at it for you. However, you might find my insights into Quant topics less helpful than my analyses of your Average Difficulty and Time Management information. (I also think there are more useful data to glean from the Verbal breakdown.)

- Andrew
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi Max,

First off, a 700/Q44 is a fantastic Score, so you can comfortably apply to any Business Schools that interest you. The Q44 won't "impress" anyone though, so it's understandable that you might want to retest (and you're closer to a 720+ than you probably realize). Since you're interested in at least one highly-competitive School, you would likely find it beneficial to speak with an Admissions Expert about your overall profile and plans. Those Experts should be able to answer your Admissions questions and help define the specific areas of your profile that could use some improvement.

There's a Forum full of those Experts here:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/ask-admissio ... tants-124/

Before you can include attachments with your posts/PMs, you need to have at least 5 posts in the forums (right now, you have just 1 post). If you would rather not go through those extra steps right now, then you can feel free to email your ESR directly to me (at Rich.C@empowergmat.com) and I'll be happy to analyze it for you.

Beyond that data, it would also help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

1) On what dates did you take EACH of your CATs/mocks and how did you score on EACH (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?
2) What Schools are you considering besides LBS?
3) Going forward, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week?

Rich
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Hi Experts,

Could you please provide me feedback on my ESR? I want to know what I need to do to improve my verbal score. Also, please comment on my AWA ability.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1586 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
shanitin14 wrote:
Hi Experts,

Could you please provide me feedback on my ESR? I want to know what I need to do to improve my verbal score. Also, please comment on my AWA ability.

shanitin14 You haven't attached any ESR...

Upload attachment: Give the File name And attach the file.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi NandishSS,

Please find attached my ESR.

Thanks,
Nitin
Attachments

esr.pdf [575.07 KiB]
Downloaded 89 times

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Nitin,

To start, a 660/Q49 is a strong Score, so it could be enough to get you into your first-choice School. As such, a retest might not be necessary. Depending on the Schools that you plan to apply to, you would likely find it beneficial to speak with an Admissions Expert about your overall profile and plans. There's a Forum full of those Experts here:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/ask-admissio ... tants-124/

I'll be happy to review your ESR for you, but I will need to see the FULL ESR (not just part of it). You can feel free to PM it to me directly if you like. Beyond that data, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How long have you studied? How many hours do you typically study each week?
2) What study materials have you used so far?
3) On what dates did you take EACH of your CATs/mocks and how did you score on EACH (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?

Goals:
4) What is your overall goal score?
5) When are you planning to apply to Business School and what Schools are you planning to apply to?

Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Saw this post after I made my thread...re-posting and attaching ESRs here:
Some context:

- Took 1st GMAT in February (680 Q46, V38)
- Took 2nd GMAT on 6/22 (670 Q45, V37) Cancelled
- Took 3rd GMAT on 7/20 (690 Q47, V38) Cancelled

General mock tests range from Q45-50, V36-42 across 6 Veritas/Manhattan Prep mocks exhausted my GMAT Prep mocks (700/750*/700/700/700/690)
* - Retook GMAT Prep #2 after 6 months and scores a 750 day before GMAT #3

I am targeting R1 applications and giving the online GMAT a final on 7/31 with a goal score of 730+. Between 6/22 and 7/20 I focused on Sentence Correction, which thankfully improved but led to a fall in RC/CR.

During this latest GMAT, I was extremely anxious/nervous heading into the test and ended up rushed in my last 10 questions both on quant and verbal, I believe a detriment in my preparation was not managing my time appropriately. I have done the research and feel that I have an appropriate time strategy. My current strategy for the next 10 days is as follows:

- eGMAT Scholaranium - Hard SC/CR practice quizzes
- Target Test Prep - Hard geometry, word problems, and number property quizzes; Global Quiz #1/2
- OG Wiley - Redo all hard quant problems (Last finished these in March)
- GMAT Prep - Hard CR questions

Time Strategy
- SC (No more than 90s)
- CR (No more than 120s)
- Quant (No more than 120s)
- RC (3-4 min for passage, 45s for questions)

I wanted to see if the experts on GMAT Club had any added insights when looking at my ESRs from both 6/22 and 7/20 or further advice.a
Attachments

July 18th ESR.pdf [843.36 KiB]
Downloaded 93 times

June 22 ESR.pdf [884.25 KiB]
Downloaded 68 times

Intern
Intern
Send PM
Anyone available to review my ESR? Thank you in advance.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9