GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Oct 2019, 22:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Financial uncertainties from the accident at Three Mile Island may pro

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Senior SC Moderator
V
GMAT ToolKit User
Financial uncertainties from the accident at Three Mile Island may pro  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2019, 07:45
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

85% (hard)

Question Stats:

43% (01:41) correct 57% (01:52) wrong based on 333 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Financial uncertainties from the accident at Three Mile Island may prove even more deterring to the nuclear industry than political opposition is.

(A) from the accident at Three Mile Island may prove even more deterring to the nuclear industry than political opposition is
(B) from the accident at Three Mile Island may prove to be even more serious a deterrent to the nuclear industry than political opposition
(C) from the accident at Three Mile Island may prove to be an even more serious deterrent to the nuclear industry than political opposition
(D) resulting from the accident at Three Mile Island may prove to be an even more serious deterrent to the nuclear industry than is political opposition
(E) resulting from the accident at Three Mile Island may prove even more deterring to the nuclear industry than political opposition

SC52561.01

“Strength doesn’t come from what you can do. It comes from overcoming the things you once thought you couldn’t.”

"Each stage of the journey is crucial to attaining new heights of knowledge."

Rules for posting in verbal forum | Please DO NOT post short answer in your post!

Advanced Search : https://gmatclub.com/forum/advanced-search/
Retired Moderator
V
WE: Education (Education)
Re: Financial uncertainties from the accident at Three Mile Island may pro  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2019, 10:38
Top Contributor
Financial uncertainties from the accident at Three Mile Island may prove even more deterring to the nuclear industry than political opposition is.

(A) from the accident at Three Mile Island may prove even more deterring to the nuclear industry than political opposition is

(B) from the accident at Three Mile Island may prove to be even more serious a deterrent to the nuclear industry than political opposition

(C) from the accident at Three Mile Island may prove to be an even more serious deterrent to the nuclear industry than political opposition

(D) resulting from the accident at Three Mile Island may prove to be an even more serious deterrent to the nuclear industry than is political opposition

(E) resulting from the accident at Three Mile Island may prove even more deterring to the nuclear industry than political opposition

Consider this subtle point, which has got lost in the jumble of verbiage. Choices B, C, and D use the noun form 'deterrent' whereas choice A and E sport the verb form 'deterring'. A verb form is always better than an adjective or a noun form.

Between A and E, the verb after opposition is unnecessary when two nouns are compared one-on-one. E therefore wins the race by a whisker, albeit in style.

B
Re: Financial uncertainties from the accident at Three Mile Island may pro  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2019, 12:05
daagh
How do we figure out that deterring is a verb since an -ing can’t be a verb by itself; moreover isn’t prove a verb in this sentence?

Posted from my mobile device
Retired Moderator
V

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2019, 12:44
Top Contributor
ruchit

Sorry for the slip; I meant to say 'deterring' is an adjective. This can be seen by the comparison marker more in front of it. But. the principle remains that an adjective is more preferrred to a noun.
S

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2019, 14:01
In general, I do believe the verb form is more elegant than the noun form but in this case, I don't think deterring is better than deterrent. I almost eliminated A & E on that basis. I think the major split lies in what is being compared -
Cutting the fluff, E effectively says the financial difficulties may be more deterring to the nuclear industry than political opposition. There is a lot of Ambiguity here - Is it deterring to the nuclear industry or the political opposition?
D addresses this ambiguity by adding an is.

The answer should be D.
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 650 Q45 V33
Financial uncertainties from the accident at Three Mile Island may pro  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2019, 00:15
D for me.

Financial Uncertainties ... detterent to Nuclear... than political opposition
Vs
Financial Uncertainties ... detterent to Nuclear... than political opposition is.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2019, 00:30
Will vote for D. We need "is" to eliminate ambiguity. So only A & D remains. I prefer D over A as D says it may prove in future, whereas A talks about present.
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2019, 02:33
can anyone please explain that whether "is" is required after than or not.

as per my understanding " is " is not required as politicial opposition and financial uncertainty both are correctly compared... but even if we use
"is" ...it would not be wrong.

Correct me if i am wrong.

Also, please let me know which one is preferable "deternt or deterring"? and why
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2019, 03:11
"an even more serious deterrent" is modifying financial uncertainties.
an even more serious deterrent indicates singular but "financial uncertainties" is plural term.
Then how D can be answer.

Can you explain it to clear my doubt?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2019, 05:29
hazelnut wrote:

SC52561.01

Official Explanation

Grammatical construction; Parallelism

First, deterring to the nuclear industry is not correct, as deter is a transitive verb and requires a direct object. Furthermore, while prove does not have to be followed by to be, here to be is required for parallelism with political opposition is. Finally, even though financial uncertainties from is not strictly incorrect, financial uncertainties resulting from would be clearer.

A. This choice is flawed for the reasons above.

B. As worded, this choice can be read as comparing the degree to which the financial uncertainties are a deterrent with the degree to which the financial uncertainties are political opposition. To fix this, we must insert the verb is either before or after political opposition. Furthermore, the sentence would be clearer if it said resulting from. Finally, even more serious a deterrent would more appropriately read an even more serious deterrent.

C. The comparison is again faulty as in choice B. Also, the sentence would be clearer if it said resulting from.

D. Correct. This choice clearly conveys the intended meaning. While it is possible to argue that is would be better placed after political opposition, it is technically correct in either place. Realistically, this issue is minor compared to those in each of the other choices.

E. Deterring to the nuclear industry is not correct, as deter is a transitive verb and requires a direct object.

The correct answer is D.
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V36
GPA: 3.54

Show Tags

New post 30 Sep 2019, 01:24
Confused between option A and D. I went with A as I felt that the position of verb is correctly placed. The reason given in OA to eliminate option a is not very clear.
First, deterring to the nuclear industry is not correct, as deter is a transitive verb and requires a direct object. In option D, deterrent also does not have direct object. Furthermore, while prove does not have to be followed by to be, here to be is required for parallelism with political opposition is. Can someone liease elaborate on this part.
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V36
GPA: 3.54

Show Tags

New post 30 Sep 2019, 01:25
daagh wrote:

Consider this subtle point, which has got lost in the jumble of verbiage. Choices B, C, and D use the noun form 'deterrent' whereas choice A and E sport the verb form 'deterring'. A verb form is always better than an adjective or a noun form.

Between A and E, the verb after opposition is unnecessary when two nouns are compared one-on-one. E therefore wins the race by a whisker, albeit in style.

daagh,
Confused between option A and D. I went with A as I felt that the position of verb is correctly placed. The reason given in OA to eliminate option a is not very clear.
First, deterring to the nuclear industry is not correct, as deter is a transitive verb and requires a direct object. In option D, deterrent also does not have direct object. Furthermore, while prove does not have to be followed by to be, here to be is required for parallelism with political opposition is. Can someone please elaborate on this part.
Retired Moderator
V

Show Tags

New post 30 Sep 2019, 01:52
Top Contributor
sunny

Let's go by the fact that more deterrring is a transitive verb verb rather than an adjective. However deterrent is a noun and it is okay to realize that a noun can't take an object, which is also a noun.
B

Show Tags

New post 13 Oct 2019, 03:23
daagh could you please help give a detailed explanation on why E is incorrect?
Intern
Intern
S
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 610 Q48 V26
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 13 Oct 2019, 04:07
After comparing the options, we can eliminate B,C and E because - "to the nuclear industry than political opposition" could mean that financial uncertainties could deter both nuclear industry and political opposition.

In actual we need to say that financial uncertainty deters nuclear industry than political opposition deters the nuclear industry. Hence the usage of 'is' is absolutely necessary to avoid this confusion.

For A vs D,

I try this way of solving by completing the sentence to make it more simpler to understand:

A) Financial uncertainties from the accident at Three Mile Island may prove even more deterring to the nuclear industry than political opposition is

This statement is incorrect because in my opinion "does" is the right word to be used in this context in comparison to "is". Because "Political Opposition is prove less deterring to nuclear industry " is incorrect.

On the other hand

D) Financial uncertainties resulting from the accident at Three Mile Island may prove to be an even more serious deterrent to the nuclear industry than is political opposition.

This statement is right. Because the usage of "is" is along with "to be" and "is" is preferred in this context to "does".

D is the right answer

Please correct me if my way of solving this is incorrect.
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 13 Oct 2019, 05:07
Hi egmat,
Can you please provide a detailed explanation of this official question. Between D and E, I chose E as Adjective is preferred over noun form of the action word and having an "is" after political opposition didnt seem necessary as there was no ambiguity in meaning .

Regards,
Avanti
Retired Moderator
V

Show Tags

New post 13 Oct 2019, 06:44
Top Contributor
It is not clear why GMAT insists that 'more deterring' in A and E is a verb rather than an adjective. ' Deter' can be a verb, but without a helping or auxiliary verb, 'deterring' can only be a present participle and such naked present participles are adjectives or gerunds.

I find OA and OE somewhat skewed
Financial uncertainties from the accident at Three Mile Island may pro   [#permalink] 13 Oct 2019, 06:44

Financial uncertainties from the accident at Three Mile Island may pro

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics