GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 06 Jul 2020, 17:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Financial uncertainties from the accident at Three Mile Island may pro

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Current Student
G
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 490 Q44 V15
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V38
GPA: 3.05
WE: Analyst (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Financial uncertainties from the accident at Three Mile Island may pro  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2019, 01:25
than IS political opposition=than political opposition IS

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GPA: 3
WE: Marketing (Other)
Re: Financial uncertainties from the accident at Three Mile Island may pro  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2019, 04:44
hazelnut wrote:
Financial uncertainties from the accident at Three Mile Island may prove even more deterring to the nuclear industry than political opposition is.

(A) from the accident at Three Mile Island may prove even more deterring to the nuclear industry than political opposition is
(B) from the accident at Three Mile Island may prove to be even more serious a deterrent to the nuclear industry than political opposition
(C) from the accident at Three Mile Island may prove to be an even more serious deterrent to the nuclear industry than political opposition
(D) resulting from the accident at Three Mile Island may prove to be an even more serious deterrent to the nuclear industry than is political opposition
(E) resulting from the accident at Three Mile Island may prove even more deterring to the nuclear industry than political opposition

SC52561.01

If you choose the correct modifier modifying "Financial uncertainties", you are left with only option D & E. "May prove to be an even more" is the right construction so option D.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
GMAT 1: 610 Q43 V31
GMAT 2: 640 Q45 V32
GMAT 3: 640 Q47 V31
GRE 1: Q155 V155
WE: General Management (Other)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 17 Nov 2019, 08:51
Dear experts, can you please help with this question?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
S

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2019, 09:23
mykrasovski wrote:
Dear experts, can you please help with this question?

Hi, mykrasovski... do you have a specific question about this one? The more detail you provide the more likely you'll get a useful response!
P
GMAT 1: 610 Q43 V31
GMAT 2: 640 Q45 V32
GMAT 3: 640 Q47 V31
GRE 1: Q155 V155
WE: General Management (Other)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2019, 09:36
Hi GMATNinjaTwo, thanks for your reply. I guess I accidentally removed the part which I wanted to ask... Sorry.

I was able to eliminate options (A), (B), and (C), but got stuck between (D) and (E). The explanation by one of the experts is not helpful because he jusitifies (E), which is wrong. Clearly, deterring is not a verb.

Would (E) be correct if it had "than political opposition is"?

Also, I cannot fully understand the comparison pieces in (D). I guess smth may prove to be more serious to nuclear industry than political opposition is?

(D) resulting from the accident at Three Mile Island may prove to be an even more serious deterrent to the nuclear industry than is political opposition

(E) resulting from the accident at Three Mile Island may prove even more deterring to the nuclear industry than political opposition
e-GMAT Representative
P

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2019, 13:17
mykrasovski wrote:
Hi GMATNinjaTwo, thanks for your reply. I guess I accidentally removed the part which I wanted to ask... Sorry.

I was able to eliminate options (A), (B), and (C), but got stuck between (D) and (E). The explanation by one of the experts is not helpful because he jusitifies (E), which is wrong. Clearly, deterring is not a verb.

Would (E) be correct if it had "than political opposition is"?

Also, I cannot fully understand the comparison pieces in (D). I guess smth may prove to be more serious to nuclear industry than political opposition is?

Hello mykrasovski,

Although your question is not directed to me, here is my explanation for your question. :-)

Choice E is certainly incorrect because the missing verb in the second part of the comparison makes the comparison ambiguous.

The way Choice E is phrased, we can infer two meanings/comparisons:

Comparison 1: Financial uncertainties may prove more deterring to the nuclear industry than is political opposition. Compared entities: Financial uncertainties and political opposition.

Comparison 2: Financial uncertainties may prove more deterring to the nuclear industry than to political opposition. Compared entities: nuclear industry and political opposition.

Choices A & D are the only two answer choices that present the unambiguous comparison between Financial uncertainties and political opposition. But Choice A has faults. Hence, Choice D is the correct answer choice.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha
P
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 590 Q37 V33
GPA: 4
WE: Law (Manufacturing)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 10 Dec 2019, 21:41
Financial uncertainties from the accident at Three Mile Island may prove even more deterring to the nuclear industry than political opposition is.

(A) from the accident at Three Mile Island may prove even more deterring to the nuclear industry than political opposition is
(B) from the accident at Three Mile Island may prove to be even more serious a deterrent to the nuclear industry than political opposition
(C) from the accident at Three Mile Island may prove to be an even more serious deterrent to the nuclear industry than political opposition

Is it necessary to be so technical for answering this question ?

I saw two splits - resulting from vs from

A and B can be eliminated as "Financial uncertainties from" this seems to be worded as if "Financial uncertainties" is a person from some place. Think about this for a while.

Financial uncertainties is result of the accident. this makes more sense.

Next Split "prove to be" vs Prove

Now, prove acts like a verb here,
meaning: Financial uncertainties prove something. seems to say FU is trying to prove something.

however, what we have to say is Financial uncertainties is more detrimental than political opposition.
So, Prove to be is Right

I intentionally ignored political oppositions is and deterring that **** is too subtle and knowledge based.

PS: I hate SC :'(

My glory is greater than my life.
Manager
Manager
P
Concentration: Operations, International Business
Schools: CBS '22, ISB, Ivey '22
GPA: 3.27
WE: Operations (Other)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 14 Dec 2019, 05:09
(A) from the accident at Three Mile Island may prove even more deterring to the nuclear industry than political opposition is. More deterring …… than political opposition. Unable to explain in words. This option has faulty construction. I would have been stumped if is was followed by political opposition. Placement of is makes this option faulty.
(B) from the accident at Three Mile Island may prove to be even more serious a deterrent to the nuclear industry than political opposition: this says uncertainties are more serious a deterrent to the nuclear industry that they are to political opposition or financial uncertainties are more serious a deterrent than is political opposition - meaning not clear.

(C) from the accident at Three Mile Island may prove to be an even more serious deterrent to the nuclear industry than political opposition: this says uncertainties are more serious a deterrent to the nuclear industry that they are to political opposition or financial uncertainties are more serious a deterrent than is political opposition - meaning not clear.
(D) Resulting from the accident at Three Mile Island may prove to be an even more serious deterrent to the nuclear industry than is political opposition: Correct.
(E) resulting from the accident at Three Mile Island may prove even more deterring to the nuclear industry than political opposition: this says uncertainties are more serious a deterrent to the nuclear industry that they are to political opposition or financial uncertainties are more serious a deterrent than is political opposition - meaning not clear.
P
Financial uncertainties from the accident at Three Mile Island may pro  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 28 May 2020, 02:46
(I received a pm)

Well, you don't need to completely understand the exact usage of the all words in order to solve this question, including transitive vs. intransitive issue. Whenever you see a comparison, check the parallelism and ambiguity. Once again, you see a comparison –> you quickly check for parallelism and meaning. This will kick off at least two choices.

A. “is” at the end of the sentence is parallel to nothing that comes before. In other words, you need any form of “to be” on the left side of a comparison that is parallel to “is” on the right side. But there is no “to be” before “than”. For example, D has “to be” on the left of comparison, and that “to be” is parallel to “is” at the end. Thus D has correct parallelism but A doesn’t. A is out.

B and C. Remember, whenever you see any preposition before X in the construction “X than Y”, you need either to repeat that preposition or to repeat the verb, depending on the meaning. For example:

- A is more close to X than Y.

This comparison is ambiguous because of preposition “to”. You have to say one of the below, depending on the meaning:

- A is more close to X than to Y.
- A is more close to X than is Y. (meaning: A is more close to X than Y is close to X)

The two sentences above totally differ in meaning. In our case, the meaning of the question requires the latter of the above. That’s because we are comparing what is a more serious deterrent to the nuclear industry. So, we have:

- A proves to be a more serious deterrent to X than is Y. (“to be” is parallel to “is”)
The implied meaning: A proves that A is a more serious deterrent to X than is Y. (is = is)

So, B and C miss “is” at the end, even though either has “to be” on the left. Therefore, we don’t know what B and C actually mean. B and C are out.

E doesn’t have “to be” on the left side, so there is no need for “is” on the right side either. However, after “than” we still need to repeat a certain verb that is parallel to the verb on the left side, for example:

- Uncertainties may prove a more serious deterrent to the nuclear industry than political opposition may (prove)
- Uncertainties may prove a more serious deterrent to the nuclear industry than political opposition does (prove)

E misses both of the above, so it’s ambiguous. E is out. Take a look at Ron's post here, 10th post in the thread: https://www.beatthegmat.com/soar-t62473-15.html

D has correct parallelism and unambiguous meaning.

Extra: “uncertainties from the accident” and “uncertainties resulting from the accident” are both correct even though the latter is clearer. But eliminating answer choices basing on word choice (because one of choices sound better) is a hasty mistake. We have more serious problems to tackle first, such as grammar. In addition, “prove X” and “prove to be X” are both correct. Once again, you can see that eliminating answer choices because of word choice is not a good thing.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Transitive vs. intransitive: https://gmatclub.com/forum/eminent-econ ... 28-80.html

In the above thread, we spent crazy amount of time on discussing transitive vs. intransitive issue. How dare you forget it? :-D
Knowing “transitive /intransitive” always helps me clarify whether a VERBING is a noun or an adjective. That’s important.

What do you think “deterring” is in “uncertainties may serve even more deterring to the nuclear industry” ? Noun or adjective?

Well, “decrease” can be both transitive and intransitive. In the construction “A decreases B”, either A or B can perform the action “decrease”. In other words you can say “A decreases B” or “B decreases”. For example: “the company decreased the prices” or “the prices decreased”. That’s why, “decrease” is both tra. and intra.

However, “reduce” is only transitive. In other words, you can say “the company reduced the prices”. But you CANNOT say “The prices reduced”. Because prices can’t reduce themselves - only somebody or something can reduce prices. Or you can say “the high prices reduced the demand”. But, once again, you CANNOT say “the demand reduced”. You have to say “the demand decreased” or “something reduced the demand”.

Because “decrease” is both tra and intra, “decreasing” can be either a noun or an adjective, for example:
- Decreasing the number of workers was a bad idea. (Noun. What was a bad idea? Decreasing the number of workers was.)
- Decreasing applications force business schools to grant even more scholarships. (Adjective. what kind of applications? Decreasing applications)

Because “reduce” is only transitive, “reducing” can be only a noun (when used without a doer), not an adjective.
- Reducing the number of workers was a bad idea. (Noun. What was a bad idea? Reducing the number of workers was.)
- Reducing applications... (Incorrect)

Similarly and finally: “deter” is a transitive verb. A can deter B, but B CANNOT deter itself. You can say “high walls can deter an enemy attack”, but you CANNOT say “an enemy attack can deter” because an attack can’t deter itself. Hence, “deterring” can be only a noun, not an adjective, for example:
- Deterring an enemy attack is the main purpose of this wall. (Noun. What is the main purpose? Deterring an enemy attack is)
- Deterring walls...

Conclusion: Since “deterring“ can only be a noun, A and E have an illogical meaning. The meaning of the construction “uncertainties may prove even more deterring to the nuclear industry” requires “deterring” to be an adjective, or sound as “uncertainties may prove even more threatening (scary, unpleasant) to the nuclear industry”. But that’s not possible because “deterring” can only be a noun.

Since “deterring” is a noun, you also can’t say “more deterring” in that sentence. In other words, you can’t say “Fuji is a more apple than any other apple”. That’s illogical. You need an adjective: “Fuji is a tastier apple than any other apple”.

To sum up, you first need the right noun form of “deter”. It’s “deterrent”, not “deterring”. Next, you need an adjective to make sense. So you say “something is a more serious deterrent than another thing”, as does D.

Phew!

Originally posted by JonShukhrat on 27 Dec 2019, 05:00.
Last edited by JonShukhrat on 28 May 2020, 02:46, edited 2 times in total.
Manager
Manager
P
Financial uncertainties from the accident at Three Mile Island may pro  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Dec 2019, 06:23
JonShukhrat wrote:
(I received a pm)

Phew!

i really need the required hard time from you. i didnt forget we cannot write "A reduces B" as "b reduced" part. But its today i understood still further. . Moreover by scolding and explaining it to the last drop . I am really sorry. though u explained the concept. My naive brain cannot apply that knowledge in this question. as i made up my mind, to use that concept only to negate the concept in wrong noun phrases like ( reducing taxes, so on) .

I am really sorry for not completely understanding this part then.

now one more doubt,

in exam any tip to know about verbs whether it is transitive/intransitive.

i really dont know "to deter" is a transitive or intransitive.

BUT THE EXPLANATION YOU PROVIDED TO ELIMINATE THE COMPARISON VIA PARALELLISM CONCEPT is mindblowing. To look for what needed. wow. Today i am one step further in comparison. Its you who is teaching me complete concept of comparison which was my nemesis earlier. Thanks Brother, that comparison part which u explained. i am super clear. transitive part i understood what u said 100%. But yet to internalise, will read all your earlier posts and will internalise in this week itself.

Using our transitive verb concept application in this question is remarkable. with your classic examples. Now onwards whenever a adjective vs noun usage comes into picture. i will think of this concept. thanks bro for expanding that application.

u dont know how many concepts you clarified via this quesrion
1. i will look for parallelism and meaning first in comparison question
2. especially i will look for verb parallelism ( this one i learnt one and only from ur explanation)
3. preposition one or the verb ( i will look for )
4. in comparison we need adjective before the noun not just the more. moreover only adjective follows the more. ( wow, these are stuffs which makes my understanding better)
5. last but not the least. whenever a VERBING word is used as adjective and noun . ur transitive vs intransitive i will remember brother.

Thanks brother. u r my Hero, guide, and god of Gmat.

I need some better words to show how i feel now. thanks for the pain which u take to make me understand the concept. thanks Jon.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 27 Dec 2019, 11:44
Thinking about this question-

I think it is important to remember the role of verbs when deciphering meaning in a sentence. Here the verb deter is a transitive verb and must have a direct object, which it odes not. If you work through the answers and work with the choices where the noun form deterrent is used you automatically can narrow to B, C, or D- then if you go with clarity for meaning purposes- Financial opportunities from vs resulting from, we can see that resulting from is much cleared so we are only left with D :)
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
P

Show Tags

New post 07 Jan 2020, 11:14
Hello Everyone!

Let's tackle this question, one thing at a time, and narrow down our options quickly so we know how to answer questions like this when they pop up on the GMAT! To begin, let's take a quick look at the question and highlight any major differences between the options in orange:

After a quick glance over the options, we have a few key differences we can focus on to narrow down our choices:

1. from / resulting from
2. deterrent / deterring
3. political opposition is / political opposition / is political opposition

Let's start with #1 on our list: from vs. resulting from. No matter which one we go with, we'll eliminate 2-3 options rather quickly. While you can certainly use either "from" or "resulting from" in this sentence, one of them is slightly clearer than the other:

Financial uncertainties from the accident = might lead readers to think they existed the whole time, or that financial uncertainties were located at the accident
Financial uncertainties resulting from the accident = more clearly shows cause & effect relationship, rather than location/ownership

We can rule out options A, B, & C because "from" isn't as clear as "resulting from."

Now that we have it narrowed down to only 2 options, let's tackle both #2 & #3 on our list. The deterrent / deterring split has to do with whether or not you want to use the word as a noun or a verb. #3 on the list has to do with parallelism. Here's how they break down:

This option is CORRECT. First, it uses "deterrent" as a noun, which works better here than in option E, where it's being used as a verb. Second, the phrases "to be an even more serious deterrent" and "is political opposition" are parallel because they both start with some form of the verb "to be."

This option is INCORRECT for a couple reasons. First, it uses the transitive verb "deterring" incorrectly. Transitive verbs only work if they take an object, or are the action being done to something. Second, the phrases "even more deterring to the nuclear industry" and "political opposition" aren't parallel - the second phrase would need a verb to go with it.

There you have it - option D is the correct choice! By focusing on either/or splits, we can narrow down our choices rather quickly!

Don't study for the GMAT. Train for it.

The Course Used By GMAT Club Moderators To Earn 750+

souvik101990 Score: 760 Q50 V42 ★★★★★
ENGRTOMBA2018 Score: 750 Q49 V44 ★★★★★
Manager
Manager
G
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
GMAT 2: 640 Q48 V29
GMAT 3: 720 Q47 V42
GPA: 3.5
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 12 Jan 2020, 22:46

Deterrent is more preferable to deterring. Financial uncertainties does not emerge out of the accident so use of from the accident is wrong. Financial uncertainties result from the accident.

D gets rid of all the flaws and maintains parallelism - Three mile Island may prove to be even more -----to nuclear industry than is political opposition. Correct answer.
S
Schools: Kellogg '22
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36
GPA: 3.85
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 18 Feb 2020, 00:31
GMATNinja VeritasKarishma please help b/w a and d?
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
V

Show Tags

New post 18 Feb 2020, 02:34
hazelnut wrote:

SC52561.01

"Financial uncertainties from the accident" is extremely unclear. I don't understand what it means.
"Financial uncertainties resulting from the accident" makes a whole lot more sense. Now I know that we are talking about the financial setback due to the accidental damage. So I will directly go to (D) and (E).

(D) - .... A may prove to be an even more serious deterrent than is B... (Correct)
(E) - .... A may prove even more deterring than B (incorrect usage since deter is used with an object. It automatically sounds wrong, doesn't it?)
Th usage is "The scarecrow deterred birds (object)."

(A) has both issues.

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 08 May 2020, 07:15
Can anyone tell me if the difference in the options between 'may prove' and 'may prove to be' is not an important one?
I suppose the answer is yes since the OA is D: I chose E because 'may prove to be' sounded too wordy to me.
Tks
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 28 May 2020, 02:41
I was confused about what is being compared

IMO D was wrong because if we take D

Financial Uncertainties resulting from the accident at Three Mile Island may prove to be an even more serious deterrent to the nuclear industry than is political opposition

Basically meaning wise i thought

Financial uncertainties may be more deterrent to the nuclear industry ( more than...)
and
Political Opposition is (deterrent to the nuclear industry) ...

and if you think again, the political opposition can actually affect the nuclear industry logically

Can some one please explain.
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 31 May 2020, 15:11
Why "deterring" is preferred over to deter?
Director
Director
P

Show Tags

New post 31 May 2020, 16:53
"an even more serious deterrent" is modifying financial uncertainties.
an even more serious deterrent indicates singular but "financial uncertainties" is plural term.
Then how D can be answer.

Please explain it to clear my doubt!

daagh wrote:
ruchit

Sorry for the slip; I meant to say 'deterring' is an adjective. This can be seen by the comparison marker more in front of it. But. the principle remains that an adjective is more preferrred to a noun.
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 31 May 2020, 23:27
gvij2017 wrote:
"an even more serious deterrent" is modifying financial uncertainties.
an even more serious deterrent indicates singular but "financial uncertainties" is plural term.
Then how D can be answer.

Please explain it to clear my doubt!

daagh wrote:
ruchit

Sorry for the slip; I meant to say 'deterring' is an adjective. This can be seen by the comparison marker more in front of it. But. the principle remains that an adjective is more preferrred to a noun.

The sentence intends to say, to which degree, the effects are felt. In essence, Financial uncertainties are the cause of X. Consider X = growth inhibitor. Though they are plural, the effect is singular.

Does this answer your question?

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Financial uncertainties from the accident at Three Mile Island may pro   [#permalink] 31 May 2020, 23:27

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3    Next  [ 48 posts ] 

Financial uncertainties from the accident at Three Mile Island may pro

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics