Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 15:24 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 15:24

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32950 [16]
Given Kudos: 5780
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 846 [2]
Given Kudos: 381
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 846 [2]
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 799 [2]
Given Kudos: 21
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Send PM
For some years before the outbreak of World War I, a number of painter [#permalink]
Kudos
5. Which one of the following most accurately describes the contents of the passage?

(A) The author describes an artistic phenomenon; introduces one interpretation of this phenomenon; proposes an alternative interpretation and then supports this alternative by criticizing the original interpretation.
1st paragraph -- description of works of the pre–World War I European painters
2nd paragraph -- interpretation of critics highlighted
3rd paragraph -- alternative interpretation by the author ie, 'works' as exceptional aesthetic innovations, ie, a novel way of depiction of reality
4th paragraph -- criticism of original representation through exemplification ie, the case of Delacroix

(B) The author describes an artistic phenomenon; identifies the causes of that phenomenon; illustrates some of the consequences of the phenomenon and then speculates about the significance of these consequences.
causes and consequences of the phenomenon not highlighted in the passage

(C) The author describes an artistic phenomenon; articulates the traditional interpretation of this phenomenon; identifies two common criticisms of this view and then dismisses each of these criticisms by appeal to an example.
only 'one' criticism ie, as guided by futuristic interpretation in the form of existing social and political arena -- drawn out in the passage

(D) The author describes an artistic phenomenon; presents two competing interpretations of the phenomenon; dismisses both interpretations by appeal to an example and then introduces an alternative interpretation.
totally incorrect, since both interpretations have not been dismissed by the author of the passage

(E) The author describes an artistic phenomenon; identifies the causes of the phenomenon; presents an argument for the importance of the phenomenon and then advocates an attempt to recreate the phenomenon.
the author is not arguing 'for' the phenomenon; rather, he is analyzing certain interpretations of the phenomenon

(A) is the CORRECT answer
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32950 [1]
Send PM
Re: For some years before the outbreak of World War I, a number of painter [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
mSKR wrote:
Hi Sajjad1994: Please post the explanation for Q6. I still could not find D option in the passage.

It is given in option to predict art works but not artists. For other options, I could relate with some reference but hard to find example of each option. Please help

mSKR Analysis:

Explanation

6. According to the author, the work of the pre–World War I painters described in the passage contains an example of each of the following EXCEPT:

Difficulty Level: Hard

Explanation

This all/EXCEPT question appears detailed but in a sense is a Global question in disguise. Of all the activities and achievements that the author credits to the prewar artists, his Main Idea is that one item does not belong among them: the conscious prediction of future political and social upheavals. Which is why (E) is the right answer. Other artists have (and use) the power that (E) describes, but Picasso and the others were not among them.

(A) is asserted in lines 37-39.

(B) reflects lines 8-10.

(C) is line 32.

(D) is a bit tricky. The influence of these artists on other artists is mentioned in lines 12-17. Now, that’s a part of the passage in which the author is reporting claims that he will later try to rebut—but (D) isn’t one of the issues he takes issue with. Indeed, the influence of Picasso, Braque, etc. on other artists is hardly something the author would argue with, considering his exalted view of their artistic accomplishments.

Answer: E
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32950 [1]
Send PM
Re: For some years before the outbreak of World War I, a number of painter [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
THLind wrote:
Hi Sajjad1994

Would you mind providing an explanation for Q2? I found it quite hard!

Explanation

2. The art critic mentioned in lines 19–20 would be most likely to agree with which one of the following statements?

Explanation

The critic in lines 19-23 states his belief that Picasso & Braque et al were less important for their art per se than for “the very prophetic power of [their] artworks.” We know that our author couldn’t disagree more profoundly with this sentiment, so while it’s hard if not impossible to predict the right answer in advance, we should clearly be on the lookout for a statement in line with the critic and at odds with our author. And (D) delivers on both scores, expanding on the idea of the painters as prescient political pundits, a notion for which the author couldn’t have more scorn.

(A), (B), (C), (E) All share the fatal flaw of focusing their attention and compliments on the artists’ works, rather than on their political prognostication; remember, we know from lines 19-23 that the critic is more interested in the artists’ alleged worldviews. Each choice has its own particular weakness as well.

(A) drags in the Renaissance senselessly (Picasso & Co. were rebelling against old ways of representation; why would the critic sign on to (A)’s sentiment?).

(B) has the critic linking the artists’ prophecies and work, when clearly the critic distinguishes the two and is more taken with the former.

(C) is opposite, ascribing the artists’ importance to their style rather than to their worldview.

And (E)—well, there’s no justification for ascribing (E)’s patronizing, belittling tone, as in “little significance,” to the critic in question.

Answer: D
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 799 [1]
Send PM
For some years before the outbreak of World War I, a number of painter [#permalink]
Kudos
1. Which one of the following most accurately states the main idea of the passage?

(A) Although they flourished independently, the pre–World War I European painters who developed new ways of looking at the world shared a common desire to break with the traditions of representational art.
the works of such painters were primarily concerned with problems of representation and form of art, but didn't focus with purpose/intentionally on developing new ways of looking at the world

(B) The work of the pre–World War I European painters who developed new ways of looking at the world cannot be said to have intentionally predicted social changes but only to have anticipated new directions in artistic perception and expression.
the author highlights throughout the passage that the works of the pre–World War I European painters indeed were concerned with problems of representation and form of art.... (lines 37-43) of 3rd paragraph...CORRECT answer

(C) The work of the pre–World War I European painters who developed new ways of looking at the world was important for its ability to predict social changes and its anticipation of new directions in artistic expression.
'ability to predict social changes' was not the purpose of the works of the pre–World War I European painters

(D) Art critics who believe that the work of some pre–World War I European painters foretold imminent social changes are mistaken because art is incapable of expressing a vision of the future.
contrary to this aspect has been highlighted in lines 24-28 of the passage : 'an artist may, just as much as a writer or a politician, speculate about the future and then try to express a vision of that future through making use of a particular style or choice of imagery

(E) Art critics who believe that the work of some pre–World War I European painters foretold imminent social changes are mistaken because the social upheavals that followed World War I were impossible to predict.
No such claims as ' the social upheavals that followed World War I were impossible to predict' have been presented in the passage

(B) is the CORRECT answer
VP
VP
Send PM
Kudos
2. The art critic mentioned in lines 19–20 would be most likely to agree with which one of the following statements?

(A) The supposed innovations of Picasso, Braque, Kandinsky, and Malevich were based on stylistic discoveries that had been made in the Renaissance but went unexplored for centuries.
the art critic mentioned in lines 19–20 ,in fact, weans away from the stylistic discoveries by the renowned artists emphasizes on the anticipation relating to the political and social happenings for future based on the then existing political scenario

(B) The work of Picasso, Braque, Kandinsky, and Malevich possessed prophetic power because these artists employed the traditional techniques of representational art with unusual skill.
the art critic highlights deviation of the focus away from discovery of new art techniques, rather he highlights the role of the works related to future's prediction regarding futuristic political scenario

(C) The importance of the work of Picasso, Braque, Kandinsky, and Malevich is due largely to the fact that the work was stylistically ahead of its time.
Not the art critic's interpretation, rather the author's interpretation

(D) The prophecies embodied in the work of Picasso, Braque, Kandinsky, and Malevich were shrewd predictions based on insights into the European political situation.
the art critic mentioned in lines 19–20 emphasizes on the anticipation relating to the political and social happenings for future based on the then existing political scenario...CORRECT answer

(E) The artistic styles brought into being by Picasso, Braque, Kandinsky, and Malevich, while stylistically innovative, were of little significance to the history of post-World War I art.
the art critic doesn't relate the prophetic power of the artworks with the history of post Worls War I art, rather he relates them to predictions regarding future political and social scenario

(D) is the CORRECT answer
VP
VP
Send PM
Kudos
4. The author presents the example of Delacroix in order to illustrate which one of the following claims?

(A) Social or political changes usually lead to important artistic innovations.
distortion of the facts of the passage, wherein it is highlighted that the art works depict future polltical and social transformation, as per some art critics

(B) Artistic innovations do not necessarily anticipate social or political upheavals.
In the last paragraph, the author highlights that 'not all decisive changes in art are quickly followed by dramatic events in the world outside art'; in this regard, the author presents the example of Delacroix in order to illustrate that Delacroix adjusted himself to new social conditions, rather than using the art works to depict political or social transformation in future..CORRECT answer

(C) Some European painters have used art to predict social or political changes.
interpretation of some art critics; however, the author has not presented the example of Delacroix in order to illustrate this aspect

(D) Important stylistic innovations are best achieved by abandoning past traditions.
no such claims made by presenting the example of Delacroix in the passage

(E) Innovative artists can adapt themselves to social or political changes.
The capability of artists to adapt themselves to social or political changes has not been illustrated through presenting the example of Delacroix in the last paragraph; rather the illustration pertains to artistic innovations not necessarily anticipating social or political upheavals.

(B) is the CORRECT answer
VP
VP
Send PM
Kudos
7. Which one of the following characteristics of the painters discussed in the second paragraph does the author of the passage appear to value most highly?

(A) their insights into pre–World War I politics
the author argues 'against' this interpretation by citing that such interpretation is probably wrong

(B) the visionary nature of their social views
the author argues 'against' this interpretation !!

(C) their mastery of the techniques of representational art
though the author conveys that the art works represent clean break from the erstwhile techniques of representational art, it can't be inferred that the author of the passage appears to value this aspect 'most highly'

(D) their ability to adjust to changing social conditions
the author highlights this aspect in the 4th paragraph, but doesn't side with this interpretation explicitly

(E) their stylistic and aesthetic accomplishments
the author has explicitly favored and highlighted the 'exceptional aesthetic innovation' --as depicted through his /her views presented in the 3rd paragraph..CORRECT answer

(E) is the CORRECT answer
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 846 [0]
Send PM
I did wrong Q2 in my first attempt. Here is my analysis of correct answer:

Quote:

One art
(20) critic even goes so far as to claim that it is the very
prophetic power of these artworks, and not their break
with traditional artistic techniques, that constitutes their chief interest and value.

These painters have prophetic power of these artworks but not their break
with traditional artistic techniques,

Prophetic powers of what:
are often credited with having anticipated not just subsequent developments in the arts, but also the political and social disruptions and upheavals of the modern world that came into being during and after the war.

Quote:
(A) The supposed innovations of Picasso, Braque, Kandinsky, and Malevich were based on stylistic discoveries that had been made in the Renaissance but went unexplored for centuries.

Unexplored for centuries is not mentioned

Quote:
(B) The work of Picasso, Braque, Kandinsky, and Malevich possessed prophetic power because these artists employed the traditional techniques of representational art with unusual skill.

Critics mentioned that they possessed prophetic power and also mentioned they didn’t break with traditional artistic techniques. But it is not mentioned that they possessed prophetic power because of traditional techniques or could that be reasons. I am not sure. We can look for other options.

Quote:
(C) The importance of the work of Picasso, Braque, Kandinsky, and Malevich is due largely to the fact that the work was stylistically ahead of its time.

Critics didn’t mention that work was ahead of time but they mentioned that they had literally prophetic power of anticipating art, social changes etc.

Quote:
(D) The prophecies embodied in the work of Picasso, Braque, Kandinsky, and Malevich were shrewd predictions based on insights into the European political situation.

Matches exactly what we thought.
Predictions: of developments in the arts, but the political and social disruptions and upheavals of the modern world.

In this option, only political reason is mentioned, other predictions are not mentioned. But it doesn’t give reason to reject option D .
With this option D, I can reject B as D is more closure to what we are looking for.

Quote:
(E) The artistic styles brought into being by Picasso, Braque, Kandinsky, and Malevich, while stylistically innovative, were of little significance to the history of post-World War I art.

innovation part is not mentioned lines 19-20. It was easy elimination.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 846 [0]
Send PM
Hi Sajjad1994: Please post the explanation for Q6. I still could not find D option in the passage.

It is given in option to predict art works but not artists. For other options, I could relate with some reference but hard to find example of each option. Please help

mSKR Analysis:
Quote:
6. According to the author, the work of the pre–World War I painters described in the passage contains an example of each of the following EXCEPT:
Work contains an example :

(A) an interest in issues of representation and form - primarily concerned with problems of
representation and form and with efforts to create a far
(40) more “real” reality than the one that was accessible
only to the eye. The reformation of society was of no
interest to them as artists. Example: cubism

(B) a stylistic break with traditional art- of representational art that stretched back to the
Renaissance.

(C) the introduction of new artistic techniques : described as prophetic: paintings that by challenging
(5) viewers’ habitual ways of perceiving the world of the
present are thus said to anticipate a future world

(D) the ability to anticipate later artists-- ??

(E) the power to predict social changes- are often credited
with having anticipated not just subsequent
developments in the arts, but also the political and
social disruptions and upheavals of the modern world
that came into being during and after the war. Example: prophetic power of these artworks
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 531 [0]
Given Kudos: 4092
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 620 Q47 V30
GMAT 3: 650 Q48 V31
GPA: 3.1
WE:Corporate Finance (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Sajjad1994 wrote:
mSKR wrote:

mSKR Analysis:

Explanation

Explanation

This all/EXCEPT question appears detailed but in a sense is a Global question in disguise. Of all the activities and achievements that the author credits to the prewar artists, his Main Idea is that one item does not belong among them: the conscious prediction of future political and social upheavals. Which is why (E) is the right answer. Other artists have (and use) the power that (E) describes, but Picasso and the others were not among them.

(B) reflects lines 8-10.

(C) is line 32.

(D) is a bit tricky. The influence of these artists on other artists is mentioned in lines 12-17. Now, that’s a part of the passage in which the author is reporting claims that he will later try to rebut—but (D) isn’t one of the issues he takes issue with. Indeed, the influence of Picasso, Braque, etc. on other artists is hardly something the author would argue with, considering his exalted view of their artistic accomplishments.

But how is influence relevant to anticipation ?
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32950 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
ShankSouljaBoi wrote:
Sajjad1994 wrote:
mSKR wrote:

mSKR Analysis:

Explanation

Explanation

(B) reflects lines 8-10.

(C) is line 32.

But how is influence relevant to anticipation?

The text which supports the presence of D in the passage is:

"So fundamental is this break with tradition that it
is not surprising to discover that these artist—among
them Picasso and Braque in France, Kandinsky in
(15) Germany, and Malevich in Russia—are often credited
with having anticipated not just subsequent
developments
in the arts"

The words subsequent developments is very indicative of the D

PS: Read and understand the text as a general and don't fall in the trap of overthinking, you will not get the answer correct otherwise, also don't try to look for the exact examples and meaning in the passage. Once you picked an option and your are not confident, read the question statement again and try to match whether the answer option fulfill the question's demand or not.

Thank you
School Moderator - LBS Masters
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Send PM
Hi Sajjad1994

Would you mind providing an explanation for Q2? I found it quite hard!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 316
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
Sajjad1994 pls post all explanations
GRE Forum Moderator
Send PM
Expert Reply
Elite097 wrote:
Sajjad1994 pls post all explanations

Can you be more specific? on which question(s) you are facing what problem?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 316
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
Sajjad1994 where can we get all explanations from? pls share
GRE Forum Moderator
Send PM
Expert Reply
Elite097 wrote:
Sajjad1994 where can we get all explanations from? pls share

You can buy explanations from many private LSAT companies such as Kaplan, Princeton review, LSAT hacks, PowerScore LSAT etc.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 799 [0]
Send PM
3. According to the passage, the statements of Picasso and Braque indicate that

(A) they had a long-standing interest in politics
No such claims related to the interest in politics.. made in the relevant lines 35-40 of the passage

(B) they worked actively to bring about social change
social change was not the aim by the artists through their art works

(C) their formal innovations were actually the result of chance
'chance' aspect has not been deliberated upon in the passage; also, the primary motivation was to rise above or go beyond the limits of then existing visualizations of reality through art works

(D) their work was a deliberate attempt to transcend visual reality
there is a clear hint through the lines 35-40 of the passage, which clearly state that the motivation was to extend the limits of then existing representational forms through their art works..CORRECT answer

(E) the formal aspects of their work were of little interest to them
the 'formal' aspects of their work..an ambiguous prompt

(D) is the CORRECT answer

Originally posted by pintukr on 30 Mar 2023, 04:32.
Last edited by pintukr on 01 Apr 2023, 05:48, edited 3 times in total.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13961 posts