Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 15:35 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 15:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
GMAT 1: 640 Q50 V25
GMAT 2: 670 Q51 V28
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 128 [0]
Given Kudos: 77
Send PM
Director
Director
Affiliations: CFA Institute; ICAI; BCAS
Own Kudos [?]: 554 [0]
Given Kudos: 694
WE 2: EA to CFO (Consumer Products)
GPA: 3.78
WE:Corporate Finance (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619237 [0]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
Re: GMAT Club World Cup 2022 (DAY 2): Named after Austrian player Marcus [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:
Named after Austrian player Marcus Kann and English player Horatio Caro, who defeated reigning champion Jacques Mieses in twenty-four moves with the defense, the Caro-Kann defense has spawned several variations, including the Advance variation and the intriguingly-named Fantasy variation.

(A) Named after Austrian player Marcus Kann and English player Horatio Caro, who defeated reigning champion Jacques Mieses in twenty-four moves with the defense, the Caro-Kann defense has spawned several variations, including

(B) The variations of the Caro-Kann defense, named after Austrian player Marcus Kann, who defeated reigning champion Jacques Mieses in twenty-four moves using the defense, and English player Horatio Caro, have spawned several alternatives, including

(C) The Caro-Kann defense, named after Austrian player Marcus Kann and English player Horatio Caro, who defeated reigning champion Jacques Mieses in twenty-four moves using the defense, has spawned several variations that include

(D) The Caro-Kann defense, named after Austrian player Marcus Kann, who defeated reigning champion Jacques Mieses in twenty-four moves using the defense, and English player Horatio Caro, and has spawned several variations that include

(E) Included among the many variations of the Caro-Kann defense, named after Austrian player Marcus Kann, who defeated reigning champion Jacques Mieses in twenty-four moves using the defense, and English player Horatio Caro, are

This question is by Manhattan Prep for the GMAT Club World Cup Competition

Compete, Get Better, Win prizes and more

Official Explanation is pinned as BEST Reply HERE.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 316
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
Re: GMAT Club World Cup 2022 (DAY 2): Named after Austrian player Marcus [#permalink]
egmat ThatDudeKnows MartyTargetTestPrep can you please shed some light on the analysis of choice A in terms of:
1. How is the modifier 'who' ambigious? Clearly it modifies the closest noun
2. What is the issue here with the modifier "Named after...." modifi\ying a noun which is far? How does that matter if it has been separated clearly and meaning is also clear, necessary comma separators also intact
3. What is wrong with the usage of 'incuding' here? What is the correct usage and what is the whole concept around its usage and when whch form works?

4. In this whole question, how do we know that marcuss and not Karo defeated the champion. That seemed like a basic error and I started off with eliminating that
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.52
Send PM
Quote:
Named after Austrian player Marcus Kann and English player Horatio Caro, who defeated reigning champion Jacques Mieses in twenty-four moves with the defense, the Caro-Kann defense has spawned several variations, including the Advance variation and the intriguingly-named Fantasy variation.

(A) Named after Austrian player Marcus Kann and English player Horatio Caro, who defeated reigning champion Jacques Mieses in twenty-four moves with the defense, the Caro-Kann defense has spawned several variations, including

(B) The variations of the Caro-Kann defense, named after Austrian player Marcus Kann, who defeated reigning champion Jacques Mieses in twenty-four moves using the defense, and English player Horatio Caro, have spawned several alternatives, including

(C) The Caro-Kann defense, named after Austrian player Marcus Kann and English player Horatio Caro, who defeated reigning champion Jacques Mieses in twenty-four moves using the defense, has spawned several variations that include

(D) The Caro-Kann defense, named after Austrian player Marcus Kann, who defeated reigning champion Jacques Mieses in twenty-four moves using the defense, and English player Horatio Caro, and has spawned several variations that include

(E) Included among the many variations of the Caro-Kann defense, named after Austrian player Marcus Kann, who defeated reigning champion Jacques Mieses in twenty-four moves using the defense, and English player Horatio Caro, are

There is a meaning issue in choices A-D. (Additional Knowledge: "Caro-Kann defense" is a chess opening). To say that Caro-Kann defense itself has spawned variations is incorrect since the defense itself is a series of moves.
Hence, choices A-D are incorrect.
Now, looking at choice E, the sentence boils down to "Included among the many variations of Caro-Kann defense, ...., are the Advance variation and the intriguingly-named Fantasy variation." which works perfectly. Also the meaning of the sentence is "Advance variation and Fantasy variation are included among the variations of Caro-Kann defense".

Hence, the correct answer is E
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 240
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.95
WE:Real Estate (Consulting)
Send PM
For option E, what is included among the many variations? shouldn't there be a modifier after it? E seems to be misplaced modifier. Can someone please correct me
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 198
GMAT 1: 470 Q27 V28
GMAT 2: 590 Q43 V28
GMAT 3: 600 Q39 V34
GRE 1: Q166 V159
Send PM
GMAT Club World Cup 2022 (DAY 2): Named after Austrian player Marcus [#permalink]
I am not going to write about A, B, and D since a majority of people haven't selected those choices.
My Reasoning for why C might be wrong is

(C) The Caro-Kann defense, ......................... has SPAWNED several variations that include the Advance variation and the intriguingly-named Fantasy variation.

Spawned means - to give birth physically, which can't be done by a nonliving entity.( The Caro-Kann defense)

(E) Included among the many variations of the Caro-Kann defense, named after Austrian player Marcus Kann, who defeated reigning champion Jacques Mieses in twenty-four moves using the defense, and English player Horatio Caro, are the Advance variation and the intriguingly-named Fantasy variation.

Although I feel like in ", and English player Horatio Caro", the comma shouldn't be there, because it isn't a clause. But when we read the the entire sentence without the long modifier, it makes much more sense.

Included among the many variations of the Caro-Kann defense, .............................................., are the Advance variation and the intriguingly-named Fantasy variation.

IMO E
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts