Last visit was: 09 May 2024, 04:05 It is currently 09 May 2024, 04:05

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tutor
Affiliations: Harvard University, A.B. with honors in Government, 2002
Own Kudos [?]: 2422 [0]
Given Kudos: 273
GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 730 Q44 V47
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
GMAT 4: 730 Q48 V42 (Online)
GRE 1: Q168 V169

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Tutor

Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 111
Send PM
Tutor

Send PM
Re: GMAT Online - What We Know [Master Topic] [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
OK, great: thank you for the update to confirm!

The 2-test lifetime limit for the GMAT online is officially no more. Good riddance to that pointless rule, and good luck to you on attempt #3.

Now, if only there were an ESR option.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1830 [0]
Given Kudos: 203
Send PM
Years ago, the ETS had faced a crisis where actual exam questions were disclosed by "professionals" and were passed around. I believe that ETS resolved that crisis through lawsuits, nullifying scores, and reporting to programs. That was a significant actual crisis and yet, ETS did not impose any artificial limits.

Imposing limits penalizes very many innocent test takers. The number eight is itself unexplainable. It is harder to score well on the GMAT in an initial attempt and so people end up taking the exam several times. The GRE is easier in that sense. All of this just means that the natural number of re-attempts for the GMAT will be higher than that on the GRE.

Looking at some statistics reported by universities that admit PhD students:

- The average GRE score reported by top programs for admitted candidates is in the range of 320-325+ish. That translates to a converted GMAT score of about 630-640, assuming an equal split of 160Q and 160V.

- However, the actual GMAT average for these same programs is around 700 (or above). To get an equivalent GRE converted score, it would appear that one would need to score extremely highly on the GRE on both components.

People do take the GRE multiple times and despite the crises faced by ETS in the past, there has no similar rationale advanced by ETS to impose lifetime attempts.

I haven't seen any white papers or published research from GMAC on this issue. It would be interesting to hear from them.

bb wrote:
I agree that it seems silly.
I believe the 8-time limit was introduced to keep tutors from poaching questions from the test and passing them on to their students.

I have heard of some taking GMAT dozens of times and saving hard new questions, some thing that is not very common for the GRE, which is a lot less competitive at least at this time.

How big was the problem with tutors poaching questions? I don’t think it was very common… and the way this route was rolled out, it said that nobody would be unnecessarily denied from taking the test more than eight times. Unfortunately that has not been accurate and everyone so far has been denied from taking the test more than 8 times. It’s unfortunate. I can totally see how someone who’s scoring 600s, is clearly not a tutor….

Tutor

Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Hovkial wrote:
The imposition of the 5-exam rule in any given rolling year should halt the problem of people taking the exam frequently. A person would have to be nearly 120 years old to take the exam even two dozen times.

Hi Hovkial,

As a highly biased GMAT tutor who would like to to eventually score a verified perfect 800 on the GMAT, I fully support the removal of the 8-test lifetime limit, so I can go back to taking it once a year, as I started doing in early 2012, well before the lifetime limit was imposed by GMAC in June of 2015.

So far I have been able to score a verified perfect 340 on the GRE, for example—but it was much easier to do so without a lifetime limit hanging over my head. Like many in my position, I only have a few more official attempts left at the GMAT, and I want to use them wisely.

That said, I think you are making an "x/y vs. y/x" math mistake here regarding the annual "rolling year" limit: it's not one exam per 5 years, it's 5 exams per one year, meaning that you could take the GMAT 25 times in only 5 years if there were no 8-exam lifetime limit.
Director
Director
Send PM
mcelroytutoring wrote:

As a highly biased GMAT tutor who would like to to eventually score a verified perfect 800 on the GMAT, I fully support the removal of the 8-test lifetime limit, so I can go back to taking it once a year, as I started doing in early 2012, well before the lifetime limit was imposed by GMAC in June of 2015.

So far I have been able to score a verified perfect 340 on the GRE, for example—but it was much easier to do so without a lifetime limit hanging over my head. Like many in my position, I only have a few more official attempts left at the GMAT, and I want to use them wisely.

That said, I think you are making an "x/y vs. y/x" math mistake here regarding the annual "rolling year" limit: it's not one exam per 5 years, it's 5 exams per one year, meaning that you could take the GMAT 25 times in only 5 years if there were no 8-exam lifetime limit.

That's right. You can take the exam 25 times in 5 years - saw the mistake after posting. That wasn't the main point in the issue.

The 5-exam limit per rolling year should control for, to some small extent, any learning that occurs through repeated test taking. People end up learning certain skills through repeated behaviors. This is another reason why I do not trust standardized exams. Scores become biased over time and person, especially if testing occurs in some patterns.

Unless I have missed something, the 8-exam lifetime limit does not have a proper scientific basis. It seems to be a policy decision. If that is the case, then policies should be examined to see if they are doing more harm than expected.

It may be easier to score a 340 on the GRE than an 800 on the newer GMAT. There have been several 340s, but far fewer 800s that I have come across recently in the last few years. I think it was easier to score an 800 on past versions of the exam.
Tutor

Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Though it is a subjective opinion and not a proven fact :cool:, I do agree—unfortunately—that the GMAT is becoming tougher over time (both the content and scoring curve itself). Thus, it has become even harder to score a perfect 800, which requires answering all 58 counted questions correctly on Quant and Verbal.

As further evidence of this claim, the only verified 800 we have here on GMAT Club (despite approximately 1 million members) is from 2015: a score that is no longer valid, because GMAT scores expire after 5 years.

One should also note that a GMAT Club score verification feature has been available since 2017, covering GMAT scores from as far back as mid-2012. In other words: after nearly a decade of official GMAT scores, we have seen exactly one verified perfect 800.

There are of course those out there who who earned their perfect 800s prior to mid-2012, and those who have chosen not to verify their 800 scores (I know one of them personally), but I doubt that there are many people in this category, and surely fewer students than GMAC claims. The official number is .02% of test-takers, or 30 out of every 200,000, but I suspect this figure to be far lower in reality.

On the other hand, as you noted, there have been several verified GRE perfect scorers here on GMAT Club and on GRE Prep Club over the last few years, which supports the conclusion that it's easier to score perfectly on the GRE—especially with no lifetime limit.

Another important fact to consider is that on the GRE, you don't truly have to be perfect to earn a perfect score: you can earn a 170 + 170 = 340 composite with up to 4 questions incorrect out of the 80 counted questions (3 on Verbal and 1 on Quant).
Director
Director
Send PM
A score of 800 on the current version of the GMAT is indeed difficult to obtain. The 0.02% figure is interesting, but we also need to know how many of these 800 scorers were repeat test takers, and how many achieved that score over how many consecutive attempts and over how much time. More stratified data are needed to draw conclusions.

Have yet to see solid empirical research that concludes that one must get all (58 minus experimental) questions correct in order to score 800. Older 800 scores, before the GMAT content difficulty and adaptive nature were introduced, were more common. Consideration also must be given to native vs. non-native speakers, test takers in different regions and so on. There are many high scorers from the Asian sub-continent who score highly but are otherwise sometimes poor at using the English language.

The GRE has many international non-native English speakers. Anecdotal evidence would suggest that many of them find the verbal sections to be difficult. The GRE tests understanding of vocabulary in use, which the GMAT does not in an explicit sense. The GRE is also taken by people in a far wider variety of academic disciplines. Again, the GMAT lacks in this respect.

Comparisons between the two tests should be made with some caution.

mcelroytutoring wrote:
Though it is a subjective opinion and not a proven fact :cool:, I do agree—unfortunately—that the GMAT is becoming tougher over time (both the content and scoring curve itself). Thus, it has become even harder to score a perfect 800, which requires answering all 58 counted questions correctly on Quant and Verbal.

As further evidence of this claim, the only verified 800 we have here on GMAT Club (despite approximately 1 million members) is from 2015: a score that is no longer valid, because GMAT scores expire after 5 years.

One should also note that a GMAT Club score verification feature has been available since 2017, covering GMAT scores from as far back as mid-2012. In other words: after nearly a decade of official GMAT scores, we have seen exactly one verified perfect 800.

There are of course those out there who who earned their perfect 800s prior to mid-2012, and those who have chosen not to verify their 800 scores (I know one of them personally), but I doubt that there are many people in this category, and surely fewer students than GMAC claims. The official number is .02% of test-takers, or 30 out of every 200,000, but I suspect this figure to be far lower in reality.

On the other hand, as you noted, there have been several verified GRE perfect scorers here on GMAT Club and on GRE Prep Club over the last few years, which supports the conclusion that it's easier to score perfectly on the GRE—especially with no lifetime limit.

Another important fact to consider is that on the GRE, you don't truly have to be perfect to earn a perfect score: you can earn a 170 + 170 = 340 composite with up to 4 questions incorrect out of the 80 counted questions (3 on Verbal and 1 on Quant).
Tutor

Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
It has in fact been confirmed via multiple GMAT ESRs that you need to answer all 58 counted questions correctly to earn a perfect 800—and that you need to answer all 30 counted questions correctly on Verbal for a V51 (one wrong usually drops you down to V48 or V49).

Take, for example, the student who had their score upgraded by GMAC from a Q51 / V50 to a Q51 / V51, but still received "only" a 790 composite because they got one Quant question wrong:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/q51-v50-253258.html

Originally posted by mcelroytutoring on 25 Oct 2021, 13:31.
Last edited by mcelroytutoring on 26 Oct 2021, 09:26, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
Send PM
mcelroytutoring wrote:
It has in fact been confirmed via multiple GMAT ESRs

Take, for example, the student who had their score upgraded

There are public repositories that allow people to publish their research. These claims can be published for public peer review. Then, methodologies, analyses and claims can be carefully examined.

Random internet-based claims may be interesting, but lack rigor.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 73121 [0]
Given Kudos: 18942
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi. I totally agree that 5 timers per year would be sufficient but I think GMAC felt that with the test refreshing once a month (back then it was once a month), a group of 3 individuals could cover the entire year or potentially 2 people could cover 10 months, so they did the 2-prong approach of 5/times a year + 8 lifetime attempts. (Though I definitely not claiming to be able to read their minds :lol:)

What also puzzles me is the EA's 2-lifetime attempt limit. Odd. Why?

Hovkial wrote:
bb wrote:

I have heard of some taking GMAT dozens of times and saving hard new questions, some thing that is not very common for the GRE, which is a lot less competitive at least at this time.

How big was the problem with tutors poaching questions? I don’t think it was very common… and the way this route was rolled out, it said that nobody would be unnecessarily denied from taking the test more than eight times. Unfortunately that has not been accurate and everyone so far has been denied from taking the test more than 8 times. It’s unfortunate. I can totally see how someone who’s scoring 600s, is clearly not a tutor….

The imposition of the 5-exam rule in any given rolling year should halt the problem of people taking the exam frequently. A person would have to be nearly 120 years old to take the exam even two dozen times.

The limit of 8 exams in a lifetime is still not explainable. GMAC did end up, through its policies, limiting innocent people by this lifetime barrier.

I agree that scoring well on the GRE is a little easier purely when it comes to content. The GRE however is a longer timed exam. That can test people who lack the strength to complete a long session. I still think that scoring very highly on all components of the GRE is very difficult for non-professionals, excluding tutors and agencies.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Hi regarding the annual limit of 5x a candidate can take the exam, does it apply to online GMAT? I have maxed out my limit but they were all taken offline. Say I want to take my 6th exam online, do I need to wait until the day I take the 1st exam last year to take the online GMAT again? Or the annual limit is separate for offline and online, so technically one can take 8x exams in a year?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4667 [0]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Expert Reply
indonesianfintech wrote:
Hi regarding the annual limit of 5x a candidate can take the exam, does it apply to online GMAT? I have maxed out my limit but they were all taken offline. Say I want to take my 6th exam online, do I need to wait until the day I take the 1st exam last year to take the online GMAT again? Or the annual limit is separate for offline and online, so technically one can take 8x exams in a year?

Hi indonesianfintech,

They both count towards the lifetime and rolling 12-month limits now, so you won't be able to take a 6th exam if you've already taken 5 in the last 12 months.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Hi, does anybody know what holidays that I need to anticipate in the end of December and beginning of January in the US beside the weekends, 25 of December and 1 of January, if I am taking the online GMAT around 20s of December, as the official results of GMAT online test will only be available in 7 business days?
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 73121 [1]
Given Kudos: 18942
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM