Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 19:38 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 19:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [5]
Given Kudos: 8
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V44
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 110 [0]
Given Kudos: 132
Concentration: Strategy, Other
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 199 [0]
Given Kudos: 1283
Concentration: Finance, Healthcare
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [1]
Send PM
Re: GMAT Tutor Debrief: 740 (Q48, V42, IR6, AWA6) [#permalink]
Kudos
Gagoosh wrote:
Congratulations on your awesome score.
Since you had a timing strategy, would you mind sharing it? Also can you recommend a good source for practicing verbal other than OG? How did you study IR.
Thanks in advance :)

I attached the timing chart I used. The larger charts on the left seemed a little too detailed, so I made simpler ones on the right (with the red headings). Starting a few days before the test, I practiced writing down the chart whenever I thought about it. Doing this at random times was important--it was easy to forget how to start (just as it might be in the middle of the test), but after several days of this I had them down cold. For the Verbal chart, I knew I started by writing the minutes (55, 45, 35, etc.) then the number of questions (6, 11, 17, 22, 28, 33 -- alternating between adding "5" and "6" each time). For Quant, I also started with minutes (52, 42, 32, etc.) then questions (5, 10, 15, etc. -- adding "5" each time).

I always checked my the number of questions left at the intervals listed (so I checked Verbal at 55 minutes, 45 minutes, etc. and Quant at 52 minutes, 42 minutes, etc.), but I ended up checking a few times in the middle of these intervals as well. As I noted in the debrief, this was fine for Verbal but I could have used more detail for Quant. For someone who has more trouble with Verbal, it might be reversed (although Verbal timing should not be quite a strict since reading passages will naturally take more time).

In general, if I was on time or slightly ahead, I tried to keep my pace--working carefully and slowly enough to avoid mistakes, but not any more slowly or carefully than I needed. If I was a little behind, then I knew I had to seriously consider choosing my best guess and moving on. If I thought I was almost there, however, I would stick with it a little longer (30 seconds, 1 minute max).

For Verbal practice, I think Princeton Review's Verbal Workout for the GMAT is decent. You won't get many high-level questions, so I wouldn't recommend it for advanced prep, but it has a nice breakdown of the basics. I found it very approachable (whereas OG explanations can be a bit convoluted). If you internalize everything in that book, you should have solid performance on the Verbal section. For the finer points, GMATClub's QOTD, if you haven't signed up for it already, has challenging content and (of course!) great explanations.

I never studied for IR--I got an 8 on my first practice test and students very rarely ask about it, so I didn't see the point. I think the main thing is keeping track of all the information--you're often using X to look up Y, and then Y to look up Z, and then relating that back to A. So write down each step--that can stop you from losing track of what you are doing. There are other problems that ask you to select two quantities that go with the problem. If I had to guess, I think those were the ones I missed. I remember being a bit worn out at that point and may have been sloppy in my calculations. Take advantage of the calculator, and write down everything you try--you don't want to waste time doing something twice!
Attachments

gmat time chart.xlsx [11.52 KiB]
Downloaded 40 times

Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2427 [0]
Given Kudos: 1131
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Many Congratulations azooktutor for scoring so high.
And thanks a ton for sharing those helpful tips, the time chart seems to be handy during the exam.
I will try to use time chart and track my speed on my next mock, so that i get acquainted with it on D-DAY.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 733 [0]
Given Kudos: 362
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
Thank you for sharing your story and congratulations on your great score!

Ill make sure to check the materials you provided as well.

All the best for the road ahead,
Chris
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Send PM
funsogu wrote:
Congratulations azooktutor. Thanks for the links. They will come in handy during my prep. Do you have any good recommendation(s) for learning probability concepts? Probability is one area I know I struggle with.

Cheers!

Thanks! This resource has a good overview of probability concepts, especially if you respond better to seeing math concepts written out in words rather than in formulas: https://www.prepscholar.com/gmat/blog/g ... questions/

For targeted practice, here are some official questions in probability: https://gmatclub.com/forum/search.php?s ... mit=Search

I think the key things to remember for probability are (1), multiply probabilities for separate events (e.g., two die rolls) but add probabilities for different instances of the same event (e.g., rolling a four or a five) and (2), remember to decrement appropriately if you are choosing without replacement (e.g., if three out of ten marbles are red, the probability of drawing two reds is \((3/10)*(2/9)\) not \((3/10)*(2/10)\).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 110 [0]
Given Kudos: 132
Concentration: Strategy, Other
Send PM
azooktutor wrote:
Gagoosh wrote:
Congratulations on your awesome score.
Since you had a timing strategy, would you mind sharing it? Also can you recommend a good source for practicing verbal other than OG? How did you study IR.
Thanks in advance :)

I attached the timing chart I used. The larger charts on the left seemed a little too detailed, so I made simpler ones on the right (with the red headings). Starting a few days before the test, I practiced writing down the chart whenever I thought about it. Doing this at random times was important--it was easy to forget how to start (just as it might be in the middle of the test), but after several days of this I had them down cold. For the Verbal chart, I knew I started by writing the minutes (55, 45, 35, etc.) then the number of questions (6, 11, 17, 22, 28, 33 -- alternating between adding "5" and "6" each time). For Quant, I also started with minutes (52, 42, 32, etc.) then questions (5, 10, 15, etc. -- adding "5" each time).

I always checked my the number of questions left at the intervals listed (so I checked Verbal at 55 minutes, 45 minutes, etc. and Quant at 52 minutes, 42 minutes, etc.), but I ended up checking a few times in the middle of these intervals as well. As I noted in the debrief, this was fine for Verbal but I could have used more detail for Quant. For someone who has more trouble with Verbal, it might be reversed (although Verbal timing should not be quite a strict since reading passages will naturally take more time).

In general, if I was on time or slightly ahead, I tried to keep my pace--working carefully and slowly enough to avoid mistakes, but not any more slowly or carefully than I needed. If I was a little behind, then I knew I had to seriously consider choosing my best guess and moving on. If I thought I was almost there, however, I would stick with it a little longer (30 seconds, 1 minute max).

For Verbal practice, I think Princeton Review's Verbal Workout for the GMAT is decent. You won't get many high-level questions, so I wouldn't recommend it for advanced prep, but it has a nice breakdown of the basics. I found it very approachable (whereas OG explanations can be a bit convoluted). If you internalize everything in that book, you should have solid performance on the Verbal section. For the finer points, GMATClub's QOTD, if you haven't signed up for it already, has challenging content and (of course!) great explanations.

I never studied for IR--I got an 8 on my first practice test and students very rarely ask about it, so I didn't see the point. I think the main thing is keeping track of all the information--you're often using X to look up Y, and then Y to look up Z, and then relating that back to A. So write down each step--that can stop you from losing track of what you are doing. There are other problems that ask you to select two quantities that go with the problem. If I had to guess, I think those were the ones I missed. I remember being a bit worn out at that point and may have been sloppy in my calculations. Take advantage of the calculator, and write down everything you try--you don't want to waste time doing something twice!

Thank you Audra, much appreciate :) All the best with your applications.

PS: I will, however, come back to you if I am stuck again. :)
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37312 posts