Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 13:24 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 13:24

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51453 [4]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1043 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Send PM
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10013 [0]
Given Kudos: 4542
Test: Test
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 293 [1]
Given Kudos: 59
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V31
GPA: 3.82
Send PM
Re: GMATCLUB VERBAL ATTACK [#permalink]
Kudos
[quote="souvik101990"]

"Assumption" Strategies

• Focus on conclusion
• Information in stimulus is suspect. Reasoning errors are present which can be corrected by answer choice.
• Strong prephrases possible
• Answer choices can bring new information which is not present in stimulus.
Assumptions are NECESSARYfor the argument – author relies upon it, and is fully committed to it.
Assumptions are NEVERstated in the argument – if it is directly mentioned, it is not an assumption.
Assumption is a minimalist answer- if it has any information author is not committed to or sure of it will not be correct.
How Assumption Questions are different from Must be true questions? – Assumption is something that must be true BEFORE
the argument.[/textarea]

Hi,

I believe these notes have been made from Powerscore CR bible as I have recently been through the assumption chapter of the book.

I'd like to suggest here that regarding the question on how Assumptions questions are different from Must be true questions, it is mentioned here that assumption is something that must be true before the argument. i'd like to add that that's not entirely precise.

Assumption is something that is true before the conclusion. Must be true statement is something which follows as a conclusion or another conclusion after the arguments have been made. This is my understanding. correct me if I am wrong here.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 61
Send PM
Hi,

In Question 13:
13. The work of Byron and Shelley, like other poets of their era, explored themes of love and
beauty, which gave rise to the school of poetry known as Romanticism.

• The work of Byron and Shelley, like other poets of their era, explored themes of love and
beauty, which gave rise to the school of poetry known as Romanticism.
• Byron and Shelley, like other poets of their era, explored themes of love and beauty in their
work, giving rise to the school of poetry known as Romanticism.
• Like other poets of their era, Byron and Shelley's work explored themes of love and beauty,
giving rise to the school of poetry known as Romanticism.
• Love and beauty are themes explored by the work of Byron and Shelley, like they were by
other poets of the era, and they gave rise to the school of poetry known as Romanticism.
• The school of poetry known as Romanticism rose from the works of Byron and Shelley, which
was like that of other poets of the era in exploring themes of love and beauty.

the option B is given as the correct choice, however, it uses phrase with like. Can we use phrase with like. I am under the impression that we can only use Nouns with like.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 288
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V31
Send PM
souvik101990
In this e.g I took local economy is in trouble as conclusion then how do the stated option will weaken since it is attacking the premise not the conclusion

The unemployment rate in the city jumped from 5 % to 9% last month. Therefore the local economy is in trouble.
The city has a large university that graduated 20000 students last month. Does this weaken?
Yes, as this provides as alternate reason for increased unemployment. Here we are assuming: a significant number of students stayed in the local area, and that not all of these graduates were immediately employed.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 249
GMAT 1: 650 Q42 V38
GPA: 4
Send PM
souvik101990 wrote:

STRENGTHEN SET OFFICIAL EXPLANATIONS

Answer KEYS
CDCBCCBDEC

The director concludes that the fee hike has helped to counteract the cut in state
funding. In other words, the director believes that increasing the late fees has led
to increased revenue from late fees. While the size of the fee itself is one
important factor, there are other factors that also have an effect on the amount of
revenue generated from late fees: the number of overdue books and the number
of days that books are overdue before they are returned. It’s very possible that
the fee increase would prompt more borrowers to return their books on time; this
would reduce the number of late fees being paid, reducing revenue from late
fees. Further, it’s possible that the fee increase would prompt more borrowers to
return their already overdue books sooner than they would otherwise. This would
reduce the average amount of each late fee, reducing revenue from late fees.
The argument explicitly states that there has been no decline in the number of
overdue books, but it says nothing about the number of days that books are
overdue before they are returned. A statement that rules out the possibility that
borrowers are returning their already overdue books sooner than they would
have if they were still being charged the original lower overdue fee would
strengthen the director’s claim.

(A) A decrease in the number of borrowed books has no bearing on the revenue
generated from late fees if the number of overdue books remains unchanged.
The question explicitly states that the number of overdue books has not changed.

(B) If anything, this statement weakens the argument. The costs incurred to
implement the new fees would cut into the revenue generated from these new
fees.

(C) CORRECT. This statement rules out the possibility that the library system is
losing revenue as a result of borrowers returning overdue books earlier than they
would otherwise.

(D) The argument has explicitly stated that the number of overdue books has not
changed. This is a stated premise that we must take as factual information,
regardless of the quality of the database being used to track such information.

(E) The elimination of other unrelated costs has no bearing on whether the library
system has successfully increased revenues through late fees.

Please feel free to post particular question doubts, and I will be happy to clarify as much as I can.

This states that The library knows as a fact that there is no decline in the no. of books over due. The claim by the director is that the increase in fees has helped them generate revenue.
I feel D is right as it supports his claim, meaning as the library has a advanced system to track the the overdue books, they can for certain say that the increase in revenue has negated the decrease in funds.

What do you think??
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
souvik101990 wrote:
i dont have any set as such!
but I can post a couple of random questions on the topic

In the United States, of the people who moved from one state to another when they retired, the percentage who retired to Florida has decreased by three percentage points over the past ten years. Since many local businesses in Florida cater to retirees, this decline is likely to have a noticeably negative economic effect on these businesses.
Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the argument?
A. Florida attracts more people who move from one state to another when they retire than does any other state.
B. The number of people who move out of Florida to accept employment in other states has increased over the past ten years.
C. There are far more local businesses in Florida that cater to tourists than there are local businesses that cater to retirees.
D. The total number of people who retired and moved to another state for their retirement has increased significantly over the past ten years.
E. The number of people who left Florida when they retired to live in another state was greater last year than it was ten years ago.

OA for this one with a brief explanation would be helpful. I have chosen D for this one.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619229 [0]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
Expert Reply
Rajat4u wrote:
souvik101990 wrote:

In the United States, of the people who moved from one state to another when they retired, the percentage who retired to Florida has decreased by three percentage points over the past ten years. Since many local businesses in Florida cater to retirees, this decline is likely to have a noticeably negative economic effect on these businesses.
A. Florida attracts more people who move from one state to another when they retire than does any other state.
B. The number of people who move out of Florida to accept employment in other states has increased over the past ten years.
C. There are far more local businesses in Florida that cater to tourists than there are local businesses that cater to retirees.
D. The total number of people who retired and moved to another state for their retirement has increased significantly over the past ten years.
E. The number of people who left Florida when they retired to live in another state was greater last year than it was ten years ago.

OA for this one with a brief explanation would be helpful. I have chosen D for this one.

This question is discussed here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/in-the-unite ... 36004.html

Hope it helps.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1041 [0]
Given Kudos: 1091
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
Send PM
Hey souvik101990

For the fifth strengthen question:

More and more companies have begun to consume less energy by making themselves more efficient. Over time, these efforts could place the United States at the forefront of an emerging global market for cleaner technologies. Such efforts are also essential to tackling the two big energy-related issues of the age: global warming and the dependence on precarious supplies of oil. The federal government should encourage these efforts by providing the necessary incentives, whether as loans, direct grants or targeted tax breaks.

Which of the following, if true, provides the most effective support for the argument?

(A) On the average, Canadian companies are more energy efficient than those in the United States.

(B) Experts believe that energy efficiency could lower the energy use of the United States to the level of 1995.

(C) In the past, government incentives have made advances in energy conservation feasible, especially in the auto industry.

(D) The dependence on foreign oil is a greater problem in the present than global warming.

(E) The market for cleaner technologies is currently relatively small because of the infrastructure requirements.

How is C correct? In GMAT we cant cite the example of other similar situations to validate what we are looking to strengthen/ weaken right? If the loans/incentives worked for the auto sector whats to say it would work overall as well?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 516
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 680 Q49 V33
Send PM
souvik101990 wrote:

Let's dissect this argument:
1. The first sentence shows correlation: People moving from one state to another when they retire to the economy (effect)
2. The second sentence begins with "since" and is pointing towards causality: BECAUSE retirees are leaving, economy will fall.
3. Now we need to weaken this argument. So we can either 1. Check for an alternate cause, 2. Check for a counter example or 3. Show reverse causality.
4. Now scan the options..
Option A = It provides a counter example to the causality. It counters the statement : "Retirees are leaving" by saying that "No, in fact they're coming" which is sufficient to weaken the argument.
Option B == Does not weaken at all
Option C == Out of scope. We are concerned about the retirees, not tourists. We can't assume that retirees are tourists :D
Option D == This is actually strengthening the argument.
Option E == This too, in a way strengthens the argument.
Hope this helps!
Thanks a ton Souvik for this topic! I found this really useful :D
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13961 posts